Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by MaxWebster »

that was a fun read [Remote Control]. I wasted a lot of hours watching that show in college :P
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pmKari Wuhrer...
I saw her in person once in LA, mid-90's. Still tremendous.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:31 pm btw, in case anyone else in here are secret Kathryn Hahn admirers and do not know about it, her HBO series Mrs. Fletcher is fantastic. Also, you get the full Kathyrn Hahn, if you are into that sort of thing.
I read that book...kinda can't believe they made it into a series.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:20 pm
rass wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:13 pm
brian wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:57 pm We very much enjoyed Cobra Kai, although the season 2 cliffhanger seemed a bit much.
That is a charitable way to describe it. But agree on both.
Holy crap that was a bit much...

Still love Johnny though.
He is the only reason to watch.
Johnny’s IG session made every dumb thing this series has ever done and will ever do worth it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We watched two episodes of cobra Kai and I’ll just say there’s a reason those actors didn’t really have great careers. Glad they’re cashing in but the acting and storytelling fucking sucked. Ham handed.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The kids love it. Not entirely sure I would have kept with it if it was just up to me. Which I guess would have been my loss given my previous post.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm We watched two episodes of cobra Kai and I’ll just say there’s a reason those actors didn’t really have great careers. Glad they’re cashing in but the acting and storytelling fucking sucked. Ham handed.
Man do I only half agree with this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm We watched two episodes of cobra Kai and I’ll just say there’s a reason those actors didn’t really have great careers. Glad they’re cashing in but the acting and storytelling fucking sucked. Ham handed.
I think it’s meant to be cheesy/schlocky/ham handed. They know they aren’t making Masterpiece Theatre.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm
I think it’s meant to be cheesy/schlocky/ham handed. They know they aren’t making Masterpiece Theatre.
Probably but the lady and I are right in the wheelhouse for nostalgia. We actually watched karate kid one and two before starting. And it just doesn’t work for me. It’s ok. Lots of shows in the sea they won’t all work.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My daughter's favorite birthday present was her Cobra Kai tee.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK, I knew they used real names on the sitcom, but it's weird the last two oral histories posted here reference Lloyd Braun and Joe Davola.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

If by any chance you're looking for a good show for young kids (3-7) that is really cute and fun for adults - check out Bluey on Disney plus.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Read and realized I still don't understand the ending. I guess Jack died and is a kind of purgatory. I get that. But why do all the other characters (like Sawyer and Judith) have their own scenes of remembering if this is just for Jack? I guess it's been ten years since I've seen it, so I'm forgetting a ton of what happened.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it makes more sense for me, but I agree I'd like to go back and re-watch it the whole show from beginning to end, which I've been meaning to do one of these days anyway. Ten years out might be an appropriate time.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

oh man i'm a sucker i know, but Lost is probably my favourite show ever. I'm probably too apologetic about it but I loved it - it's actually better on a rewatch because the episodes that kinda sucked (early season 3 if i recall had a few - esp that Nikki/Paulo one, the one with Bai Ling) just fly by and are just blips rather than waiting like a month for the next one when it was originally on.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:48 pm If by any chance you're looking for a good show for young kids (3-7) that is really cute and fun for adults - check out Bluey on Disney plus.
Seconded, even though the boy is aging out of it shortly after we found it. Although it was good he found it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 pm oh man i'm a sucker i know, but Lost is probably my favourite show ever. I'm probably too apologetic about it but I loved it - it's actually better on a rewatch because the episodes that kinda sucked (early season 3 if i recall had a few - esp that Nikki/Paulo one, the one with Bai Ling) just fly by and are just blips rather than waiting like a month for the next one when it was originally on.
I started watching Lost halfway through the series. I tried to follow along with the real-time Swamp thread as I watched episodes. I don't even remember how far I got into the series, but I fell off when my son was born and meant to get back to it. Then the last couple of seasons, all I heard were grumbles about how bad the show was getting, then it seemed like everyone hated the ending and everyone was shitting on it, something about everything being a dog's dream or something, so I never went back.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

why do you hate dogs?

;D

i don't know, i loved the ending. without giving anything way (hopefully) i think people want/wanted answers for everything, meaning all the weird pseudoscience-y shit that happened. and you're not getting all the answers. I just read that article and one of the quotes in there I agreed with, to paraphrase - it was more about the people and their relationships.

(but i still got enough answers to make it a great ride for me. dammit i could definitely watch it again now...)
The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 am
MaxWebster wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:25 pm oh man i'm a sucker i know, but Lost is probably my favourite show ever. I'm probably too apologetic about it but I loved it - it's actually better on a rewatch because the episodes that kinda sucked (early season 3 if i recall had a few - esp that Nikki/Paulo one, the one with Bai Ling) just fly by and are just blips rather than waiting like a month for the next one when it was originally on.
I started watching Lost halfway through the series. I tried to follow along with the real-time Swamp thread as I watched episodes. I don't even remember how far I got into the series, but I fell off when my son was born and meant to get back to it. Then the last couple of seasons, all I heard were grumbles about how bad the show was getting, then it seemed like everyone hated the ending and everyone was shitting on it, something about everything being a dog's dream or something, so I never went back.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Binged it with q a few years ago - it was a tremendous re-watch binge style.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 am
Ymmv. I also loved the show and the last few seasons. And was fine with the ending. Like I said to max, it is a tremendous watch now streamed - no commercials and can string multiple eps back to back and the story still pops.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:48 pm If by any chance you're looking for a good show for young kids (3-7) that is really cute and fun for adults - check out Bluey on Disney plus.
My kids are totally into it. Has just enough adult humour. Does a really great job of tugging at some heart strings as well.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Wandavision still fantastic.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am Wandavision still fantastic.
I agree, and I am not a Marvel fan.
[+] spoiler
Last night's episode was wild - turned Wanda from seeming like a crazed villain into a very sympathetic and tragic character
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watching Murder on Middle Beach and just finished the first episode and hope the final three live up to how amazing they’ve managed to build the tension from Ep. 1.

Especially recommended for those of us with father issues.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

About as good an hour of setting up a documentary as you can do. Thin, Blue Line good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All happy families are alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way (Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina).

Goddamn if that isn’t one of the truest things ever written.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Holy shit dude... This is incredibly well done.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The second Cobra Kai starts taking itself the slightest bit seriously I’m out but it’s so big and dumb and goofy that I can’t quit it yet.

Glad I get a bit of break until the next season though.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I saw someone (Alan Sepinwall?) on twitter mention this series, so I watched the first episode this morning while on the wind trainer.

Pretty good. Only 10 episodes, so I can crank it out pretty quick.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 pm Holy shit dude... This is incredibly well done.
My HBO Max is barfing with this TV so I can’t watch last two eps until moving into to new place this week but it’s really really good. I hope the finale can pay it all off.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm Apparently tonight on Discovery the son of a friend's Battlebot is fighting. Ribbot appears to be 1 and 1. Trying to get a top 32 position to qualify for the knockout round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(season_10)
Love me some Battlebots. Ribbot has looked good, but realistically I think there's about 5 bots that can win the tournament. So cool that he participated though.
So checked in on Ribbot. The #20 seed beat the #13 seed and #4 seed to make the round of 8. Take on a team from Brazil #5 seed
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Tanya was giving me shit about watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show which I’ve never seen before saying I have a crush on her, but while that’s not true I’ll own it. That was a hot, hot woman.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:35 pm Tanya was giving me shit about watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show which I’ve never seen before saying I have a crush on her, but while that’s not true I’ll own it. That was a hot, hot woman.
I've been reading Richard Burton's diaries. He was miserable and hated everybody. He described some party he attended in 1967 or 1968, trashing everybody in attendance by name. But there was one woman there named Mary who everybody was in love with. Had apparently appeared in some tv show with Dick Van Dyke. Of course. Mary Tyler Moore would be the one person Burton and everybody else adored.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had a major crush on her when i was twelve.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:09 pm
BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:32 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:14 pm Apparently tonight on Discovery the son of a friend's Battlebot is fighting. Ribbot appears to be 1 and 1. Trying to get a top 32 position to qualify for the knockout round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleBots_(season_10)
Love me some Battlebots. Ribbot has looked good, but realistically I think there's about 5 bots that can win the tournament. So cool that he participated though.
So checked in on Ribbot. The #20 seed beat the #13 seed and #4 seed to make the round of 8. Take on a team from Brazil #5 seed
Sweet 16 on tonight!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:46 pm I had a major crush on her when i was twelve.
So did I. That Rob Petrie was a lucky guy - dream job, dream wife.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:46 pm I had a major crush on her when i was twelve.
Same. Except you had to watch whatever else came on after her because they only had one station back then and I got reruns all night long on Nick at Night.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:20 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am Wandavision still fantastic.
I agree, and I am not a Marvel fan.
[+] spoiler
Last night's episode was wild - turned Wanda from seeming like a crazed villain into a very sympathetic and tragic character
Finale stuff below.
[+] spoiler
Ok ok ok.

If she took the hex down how is Agnes being restrained? Or did she take her powers because that’s not what it sounded like.

So we just accept that white vision just sodded off?

I’ll hang up and listen.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

[+] spoiler
I assumed she cast a new spell? Spells? Invisible roooons?

And you sound like my kids on the white Vision thing. They wanted the two of them making out by the end of the episode. Got to leave something for the next movie/show.