Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 pm The checks themselves are 70%. Start there, keep subtracting.
This attitude is why we Clinton lost. Enjoy the sandwich.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Promising to care about the same factor over and over then underdelivering is why the party loses. Like Johnnie said, its cyclical. If the Dems delivered what they offered, they'd hold power.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Too often Dems over promise and under deliver.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 pm The checks themselves are 70%. Start there, keep subtracting.
OK. The checks are 22% of the bill - and a lot of that won't go to people who have a Covid-related need for them - but sure.

As far as I can tell, the change agreed to yesterday reduces the check payments by 6%. 200 million American adults remain eligible instead of 212 million. So if the checks started at 70%, the Democrats* should get dinged by 4.2% off the 70. So now the glass is down to 65.8 percent full, even assuming unemployment, child tax credits, health insurance subsidies, and state and local relief add up to 0.

*And of course when we talk about the bad stuff the Democrats are doing, we are looking at a situation where 94-98% of Dems and 0% of Republicans are doing what we want them to do.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

They've been kicking this can for months. Anyone who this money was actually designed to help either on the R or D side is now destitute to the point where a 5000$ check isn't going to matter.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on it. Pass it or don't but this idea that it's going to be some society saver is insane. The people who could get by without are and the people who couldn't are so past the point of fucked it doesn't matter, with few exceptions of course. I'm tired of hearing about it. Do something useful for society as a whole and get voting rights and police reform and minimum wage laws enacted.

I know it's a complicated subject but term limits help on this stuff on both sides. The same reason trump rats jumped ship is the same thing that Manchin and the like are doing now. They don't care about Americans they care about winning another term so they appeal to the middle and thing riding the fence will save them and it fucking works.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve, the longer we get out from the $600 checks, the dumber the whole "of course we promised $2,000 minus $600" excuse looks. You don't even need all of the $2,000 quotes after the fact, just take a step back and think about it without your purple-tinted glasses.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:55 pm
Now that’s a legit one that is going to fool 40% of the facebookers that see it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So...timeless.

Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A rising Republican star...

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Posts like this is why I miss Doc’s boxing knowledge.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So the technique seems bad. But it is an awkward position as well. But those don’t look like the punches of a person who has ever thrown a punch.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

“[T]he most significant piece of legislation to benefit working families in the modern history of this country.”

But what does Bernie Sanders know anyway.

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Until they do something to curtail the discrepancy between the upper class and the rest of us, then nothing will change. Help is good, but if all they are doing is moving the goalposts, then nothing changes.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m just glad the most progressive President ever was able to get Sanders on board with his plan. Needed every vote there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 pm I’m just glad the most progressive President ever was able to get Sanders on board with his plan. Needed every vote there.
Me too.

And I’m glad that the most progressive primary candidate in recent years was smart enough to see that giving extensive help to millions of lower- and middle-class families is a massive progressive achievement. Even if something better could have been done if the makeup of Congress had been more progressive.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I bet she thinks everyone in the military is the "National Guard."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Somebody's running for Senator....

And good. I like it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So apparently Congress just passed a massive spending bill, something around $1.9 trillion, most of which will be going to people in the lower and middle income groups.

Vote Blue. No matter who.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:53 pm So apparently Congress just passed a massive spending bill, something around $1.9 trillion, most of which will be going to people in the lower and middle income groups.

Which is 50 days later, is going to be given to a lot less people, and some will have to reapply for UI and probably be denied under this..

Yeah, keep voting blue.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Lighten up, Francis.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:53 pm So apparently Congress just passed a massive spending bill, something around $1.9 trillion, most of which will be going to people in the lower and middle income groups.

Which is 50 days later, is going to be given to a lot less people, and some will have to reapply for UI and probably be denied under this..

Yeah, keep voting blue.
vote-red-instead.jpg
vote-red-instead.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 884 times
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Hopefully we see alot of this.

psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:49 pm
psunate77 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Yeah, keep voting blue.
vote-red-instead.jpg
You think that bothers me. I said before he should have gotten lethal injection.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 am I've seen the news and read an email that was sent to everyone recently, but this stand down thing is going to happen. Beau has thoughts...

These are mine: This shit will go nowhere fast. As a military you have to remain politically neutral. This level of extremism is politically central. We can bark all day about outside-of-the-country terrorism and it's motivations all day and go after it with all the Force and power in the world, but inside-of-the-country terrorism is Constitutionally protected free speech. And we have to support and defend the Constitution, soooooo....🤷‍♂️
Tomorrow is my unit's extremism stand down day. We get to come in - in regular clothes - and take the entire day "off" in a sense. We'll be broken down into groups of about 25 and talk about stuff.

I'll let you know how it goes, what's said, and my thoughts about it all.

My current opinion still doesn't waiver: political extremism is the elephant in the room and it won't be touched. But hopefully I'm surprised. We'll see.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“We’re gonna go alphabetical, starting with Antifa then moving onto BLM and on from there if we have time.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Someone I know very well is getting nominated by the White House for Senate confirmed position today. I have been refreshing the whitehouse.gov press releases constantly to see when it is public...and thinking of what opportunities I have to vandalize this person's wikipedia page (which does not exist yet).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"His/her mother is russian and father is even more russian."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:53 am Someone I know very well is getting nominated by the White House for Senate confirmed position today. I have been refreshing the whitehouse.gov press releases constantly to see when it is public...and thinking of what opportunities I have to vandalize this person's wikipedia page (which does not exist yet).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... -services/
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Is that Mrs. Lax6?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It is not.

(I'm blanking on her name, but I think she was a year ahead of me in high school.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

my sister
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:18 pmmy sister
That's awesome. Surely she can sneak a bunch of us into the White House though, right?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you knew nothing about wlu other than his spelling, the fact his sister has a doctorate would have to be hysterical, right?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm If you knew nothing about wlu other than his spelling, the fact his sister has a doctorate would have to be hysterical, right?
Despite getting her B.S. and Masters in 4 years total at Emory...the PHD took a whole lot longer. And the PHD is in Medical Sociology/Medical Statistics...so it was more number crunching than words...but yeah guess she had to write a bit (and was an auditor for GAO for a bit).
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:35 pm Medical Sociology/Medical Statistics...so it was more number crunching than words...
My mother is horrendous at math, her masters is in Ed Psych and Stats.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?