Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Happy Inauguration Day (and beyond- The Biden Presidency Thread part I)

Post by duff »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 amWe're still on the same page here.
Has anyone noticed any rivers running blood or a swarm of locust anywhere?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

degenerasian wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:11 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Yes. There are a bunch of states in the US with shitty GOP governments. There always have been. Which is exactly why a federal minimum wage is necessary.
Not a federal issue. Why are you trying to save those states? They need to progress from within. Worse is that it has become an unnecessary GOP federal bargaining chip to tie Democrat hands.
I think you are stuck looking through a Canada-centric lens here. Just because Canada doesn't have a national minimum wage doesn't mean it isn't the place of the US federal gov't to institute a minimum wage. I think it's exactly the right move the type of protection the Federal gov't should put in place. In our system, the Federal gov't puts into place minimum protections for individuals when states fail to do so. Most of the laws guaranteeing individual rights come from the Federal level, with States having the ability to provide greater protections.

We've had a federal minimum wage for 83 years, and without it, I'm sure several states would abolish the minimum wage. Canada is far more progressive than the US, so you don't need a national minimum wage, as the Provinces all stepped up. There are a lot of prominent Conservative politicians and business leaders calling to abolish the minimum wage, so yeah, we need it. I'm sure several states would abolish child labor laws, rights to unionize, and all protection to workers if they could, under the belief that is people are willing to work for little and under excruciatingly shitty conditions, we should let them and allow businesses to profit off the abuses, because when corporations make profits, we are somehow all better off.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:03 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 amWe're still on the same page here.
Has anyone noticed any rivers running blood or a swarm of locust anywhere?
[Runs to check on my first born son]
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:16 pmFuck Florida. If you still live there, you're complicit for not doing enough.
I just don't see how this makes sense. To me, it's another version of the magical thinking that suggests that Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi could get X, Y, or Z through Congress if they just wanted it badly enough.
It’s more to do with standing up for what is right when wrong goes down. Too many Floridians are there to retire, purchase homes in gated communities and join country clubs. They check out and look after their retirement savings. The only thing they care about is their handicap.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do we not do sarcasm on Mondays?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:33 pm Do we not do sarcasm on Mondays?
I got the sarcasm! I even chuckled.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I can't recall how many swampers besides me got furloughed or took unemployment, but if you haven't done your taxes, you should hold off until this relief plan gets approved in the house and signed. Provides non-taxable for the first $10,200 in unemployment for 2020.

If you have already filed and got UI, may be worth a look at an amended return once it passes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Why the fuck is Biden not signing the Relief Bill until Friday? It was all suppose to be voted and signed on Monday and then got pushed back until Wednesday, now signing it won't be til Friday..

WHAT THE FUCK BIDEN??
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus, man. It's two days. Save your vitriol for something a bit more meaningful. You're going to have a coronary.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 pm Jeebus, man. It's two days. Save your vitriol for something a bit more meaningful. You're going to have a coronary.
You do realize UI expires, right? Plus states will need time to to implement the new extension. 2 days don't seem a lot, but when millions are going to have their claims expire and may have to reapply it will be a lot.

Why couldn't he sign it today after it passed, it take 20 second to sign a bill. What happened to the immediate he promised.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Because he has a national address to the nation scheduled for tomorrow and he sees the need to sell this bill to the American people. He couldn't be sure it would be done today, so they cushioned it.

Obama and crew fucked up in 2009 by not touting the Stimulus Bill that pretty much saved the economy. They let the GOP paint it as big govt over reach.

Biden and crew don't want to repeat that mistake.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm Because he has a national address to the nation scheduled for tomorrow and he sees the need to sell this bill to the American people. He couldn't be sure it would be done today, so they cushioned it.

Obama and crew fucked up in 2009 by not touting the Stimulus Bill that pretty much saved the economy. They let the GOP paint it as big govt over reach.

so he has to pull a Trump and go brag about it.. Just sign the fucking thing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm Because he has a national address to the nation scheduled for tomorrow and he sees the need to sell this bill to the American people. He couldn't be sure it would be done today, so they cushioned it.

Nonlinear is 100% correct. It's not "pulling a Trump" for a politician to make a big deal out of a big accomplishment.

Obama took your approach - just sign the fucking thing - and that helped usher in ten years of Republican power.

Unemployment benefits aren't going to expire, because all they are doing is extending what's already in place.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Good grief dude. Just stop.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Mooooooom, daaaaaaad, s/he's bragging!!!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Good grief dude. Just stop.
You ready for a Republican Congress and Senate in 2022?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The whole point about taking the time to publicize the bill is to try to avoid a Republican Congress in 2022.

Nate, seriously. Think of all the gloom and doom things you've freaked out about the past six months that did not come to pass. That should teach you something.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ha!

My thing is... Go read a few articles from reputable sources. Many are pointing out that Obama (and more importantly, his staff, many of which are in this admin or in strong advisory roles) didn't do enough to take credit.. To SELL the bill, as they say, and the result was the GOP/tea party and 10 years of fucking bullshit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:33 pm The whole point about taking the time to publicize the bill is to try to avoid a Republican Congress in 2022.

Nate, seriously. Think of all the gloom and doom things you've freaked out about the past six months that did not come to pass. That should teach you something.
Yeah, this was such an important bill for the Americanpeople, must explain why Trump will have given more Americans relief then Biden.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:33 pm The whole point about taking the time to publicize the bill is to try to avoid a Republican Congress in 2022.

Yeah, this was such an important bill for the American people, must explain why Trump will have given more Americans relief then Biden.
Missing the point, Nate.

Try taking the George Costanza approach for a while.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Or a Kramer approach, where the swamp is that fruit stand?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Holy hell. What a thing to flip out about.

It's 2 fucking days. Chill.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:38 pm Ha!

My thing is... Go read a few articles from reputable sources. Many are pointing out that Obama (and more importantly, his staff, many of which are in this admin or in strong advisory roles) didn't do enough to take credit.. To SELL the bill, as they say, and the result was the GOP/tea party and 10 years of fucking bullshit.
The PodSaves guys were just discussing this. They said Obama's biggest mistake in office was not explaining the Recovery Act and quietly passing it, so the Republicans framed the Act in a negative light, and the general public saw it much more negatively and were able to run against what would have been a much more popular Act if people understood what it accomplished. Huge difference between publicizing what a Bill accomplishes and Tweeting "I did an amazing thing that ONLY I could do and you should all bow before me because of the terrificness that is ME." If Dems don't educate the public on what they accomplish, the public will believe the GOP when the GOP frames them as "do nothing Dems," kind of like when the Dem House passed 100s of Bills, many bipartisan, and the GOP Senate refused to vote on them, even overwhelmingly popular Bills that were very clearly net positives for most Americans. That's where the GOP kicks the Dems asses, they always frame the discussion.
-Pruitt
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

He could have to explain this too, possibly to millions of Americans if this happens.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... eize-them/
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well I hope Nate can get some sleep now. Biden signed the bill.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Should have been signed yesterday, but whatever
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This is perfectly normal...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So did that speech meet with Nate's approval or is he gonna go back to being a fascist now?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 pm So did that speech meet with Nate's approval or is he gonna go back to being a fascist now?
Didn’t even watch it. I do hope he explained why gas prices are the highest they been since 2014, or is he going to ignore that?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

psunate77 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 am
brian wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:01 pm So did that speech meet with Nate's approval or is he gonna go back to being a fascist now?
Didn’t even watch it. I do hope he explained why gas prices are the highest they been since 2014, or is he going to ignore that?
This is a joke. This has to be a joke.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:08 am
psunate77 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 am
This is a joke. This has to be a joke.
Highest since November of 2014..
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-envi ... -joe-biden
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Fucking wut.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

No, I know gas prices are higher. It’s a joke that you think Biden needs to explain that.

Production has been down due to the pandemic and then the Texas weather. And demand is ramping up because it’s spring and we’re coming out of a pandemic.

Reduced production and increased demand —-> higher prices.

Edit: Which is a good thing because higher gas prices are the only way we’ll ever limit climate change.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What Steve said. I mean, fucking take a minute and Google.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-gaso ... 00876.html

Jesus fuck, Nate. You are doing the exact thing a Republican friend of mine is doing on Facebook right now. Ignoring all actual reasons why gas prices are going up and going "OmG BiDeN. lOoK aT gAs PrIcEs In HiS aMeRiCa. I hOpE yOu'Re HaPpY, LiBs."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:48 am What Steve said. I mean, fucking take a minute and Google.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-gaso ... 00876.html

Jesus fuck, Nate. You are doing the exact thing a Republican friend of mine is doing on Facebook right now. Ignoring all actual reasons why gas prices are going up and going "OmG BiDeN. lOoK aT gAs PrIcEs In HiS aMeRiCa. I hOpE yOu'Re HaPpY, LiBs."
Yeah, seeing a ton of this. They think it’s because he said he would shut down the XL Pipeline. Because saying he is going to do it makes it instantly happen, prices instantly change, and most important, XL is exported and from what I understand, too low quality for use as gasoline.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Legit point though. Don't think it's the reason for the current spike (and this hits pockets of voters prominently $50/60 over and over and over) but can't have climate and cheap near term energy prices. The gas is an economic indicator. Of what not sure but that plus stimulus plus covid economic reality. People have forgotten what high rates and inflation look like.

Anyone know the timeshare business?
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

I really like Biden's speech. Especially keying on the vaccine and getting everyone to take it. You guys are going to be partying July 4 while we are still in darkness.

My parents are booked for first Pfizer shot on the 31st. Finally getting to them, born in 48 and 50.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Is that pipeline even operating yet?
HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:59 am Legit point though. Don't think it's the reason for the current spike (and this hits pockets of voters prominently $50/60 over and over and over) but can't have climate and cheap near term energy prices. The gas is an economic indicator. Of what not sure but that plus stimulus plus covid economic reality. People have forgotten what high rates and inflation look like.

Anyone know the timeshare business?
I do agree that this is probably what will ultimately doom the Democrats and lead to the Republicans getting control again. Fighting climate change is going to require all of us taking some serious medicine we don't want to take, and no one likes someone who makes you take your medicine.

Which creates a serious dilemma, since on the one hand we don't really have time to wait, but on the other hand the sooner the Democrats start dealing with climate change, the sooner the Republicans get to take over and undo what they've done. So I'm thinking the Dems need to start with the spending parts of the climate change approach - funds for solar conversion, expansion of transit, etc. - and then after that gets entrenched we can get on with carbon taxes and the like.

Or maybe they never get to a carbon tax. Maybe they just need to impose emission limits and gas mileage requirements on industry, so the consumers don't directly see what's going on.

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:59 amAnyone know the timeshare business?
I have one I'm trying to sell if you want it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I'm sorry your gas is higher but isn't it nice to be out in public again doing things?" would be a pretty easy message starting in July or so. There's no reason, disingenuous or not, to avoid a full claim of Dem victory with the vaccine. Say if they'd held office, production wouldn't have ramped up, distribution wouldn't have gone smoothly, anything, and just point to where things were a year ago. This should be a layup.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Carbon taxes are really just a cash grab. The amount of carbon tax you'd have to collect to actually make a difference would be in the trillions and that's not happening. The climate change debate is a tough one because people are selfish. They want everything now. They like their big houses and their fancy cars. Transit isn't going out 2 hours into the suburbs. And even if it did, people would whine that it's too slow. Being environmentally conscious takes effort. Companies have to buy in, allowing people to work odd days from home outside of being forced to by a pandemic. There needs to be more tele-everything so that people are off the roads.

People have to bike places, walk places etc.. Almost all technological advances in history have made things faster and easier. Climate change is the one that causes inconveniences and people don't want to do it.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..