Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.
I've got a relative stack of those (4) from soccer exposure. The first time they went virtual. Now it's just an email an they keep playing. low risk from what I can tell. Recently got another email exposure letter from the school and it said someone in your kids class (of 9) got covid but your kid isn't a close contact because he sits on the other side of the room. More like he's a boy and covid breath is a girl so they don't interact. No quarantine needed. No symptoms. He's good... Though he does have a headache right now. Almost certainly pollen. He always struggles this time of year. She's good. Weve learned to treat everyone like they have it and the boy in particular does a good job. Soccer has definitely helped to teach him covid safety. Back of huddles. Off bench.
Indoor sports seem to have gone well though I declined for the kids. Risk taking officially back here. Fucking batmitsfa this weekend. Gee thanks for putting me in a situation to fight with the girl. How is this different dad? We'll be safe dad? It's covid protocols dad. Fuck that. Those parents won't do shit and those girls will be taking selfies maskless. Soccer ok. Religious anything... Not ok.
As a Jew and a kid who went to 15 or so Bar/Bat Mitzvahs when I was 13, I can't understand why anyone would fight to attend one. I'd be fighting my parents to get to skip them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:42 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:29 pm Just got a notice from my daughter's soccer coach. They played in a tournament this weekend, and a girl on a team they played yesterday tested positive today. Not sure how concerned I should be. I feel like outside on a soccer field isn't all that much exposure, but who the fuck knows.
I've got a relative stack of those (4) from soccer exposure. The first time they went virtual. Now it's just an email an they keep playing. low risk from what I can tell. Recently got another email exposure letter from the school and it said someone in your kids class (of 9) got covid but your kid isn't a close contact because he sits on the other side of the room. More like he's a boy and covid breath is a girl so they don't interact. No quarantine needed. No symptoms. He's good... Though he does have a headache right now. Almost certainly pollen. He always struggles this time of year. She's good. Weve learned to treat everyone like they have it and the boy in particular does a good job. Soccer has definitely helped to teach him covid safety. Back of huddles. Off bench.
Indoor sports seem to have gone well though I declined for the kids. Risk taking officially back here. Fucking batmitsfa this weekend. Gee thanks for putting me in a situation to fight with the girl. How is this different dad? We'll be safe dad? It's covid protocols dad. Fuck that. Those parents won't do shit and those girls will be taking selfies maskless. Soccer ok. Religious anything... Not ok.
As a Jew and a kid who went to 15 or so Bar/Bat Mitzvahs when I was 13, I can't understand why anyone would fight to attend one. I'd be fighting my parents to get to skip them.
I dunno - as a non-Jew who went to a bunch back then, I remember them being a lot of fun (except for the whole sitting in the synagogue while the guy reads in Hebrew part).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I liked em too. Yeah a little unintelligible to non hebrew speakers but then there's a huge party. I get the begging. Still no.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

We sent out several of these notices last night -- a kid on a 10G team got the results back last night - they practiced sunday -- had to let three other teams know due to siblings and coaches and whatnot. we cancelled their training sessions and pushed back their first game -- all others, just an FYI.

on my sons's club team we had one incident this winter - they trained indoors until last week -- one kid got it.. he stayed home for two weeks, coach gave the option to attend or not.. all attended. no other issues.

we're still playing maskless on saturday mornings. outdoor. the o50 league i'm in is wearing masks. i'm likely not playing.. but i am coaching u19.. and have to wear a mask on the sideline.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:35 am
got the results back last night - they practiced sunday --
What I'm wondering is, did she get the test, go to practice, and then get the results? Unless it was a rapid test, that's fucked up. My wife was pissed that the girl my daughter played against must have known she was a risk and played anyways, but it's possible she discovered the contact or had symptoms Monday morning, got a rapid test, and communications spread within a day. Much different than when my son was notified he was in close contact with a positive person 10 days after the contact. Made the 14 day quarantine much easier to manage.

Just got an email from the soccer club, the entire team is considered a close contact and on a 10 day quarantine. My daughter is remote this week at school anyways, and we are thinking of getting her tested to send her in to school next week.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My guess is that certain people assume they're always a close contact and refuse to adjust otherwise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:48 am
elflaco2 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:35 am
got the results back last night - they practiced sunday --
What I'm wondering is, did she get the test, go to practice, and then get the results? Unless it was a rapid test, that's fucked up. My wife was pissed that the girl my daughter played against must have known she was a risk and played anyways, but it's possible she discovered the contact or had symptoms Monday morning, got a rapid test, and communications spread within a day. Much different than when my son was notified he was in close contact with a positive person 10 days after the contact. Made the 14 day quarantine much easier to manage.

Just got an email from the soccer club, the entire team is considered a close contact and on a 10 day quarantine. My daughter is remote this week at school anyways, and we are thinking of getting her tested to send her in to school next week.
in the case of the 10g team - the coach said he noticed at the end the girl was struggling and coughing - told the parents -they got test eitehr sun night or monday - results monday around 8p - (at least thats when they told us) - because it was positive, we gave it more weight (would require the reg test if results neg) and quarantined the team for 14 days - up to them to follow up on it and deal w the school - we dont contact trace but because we know all the players, w let the other teams with siblings know. by the time we finished our call last night (945) we already had multiple calls/texts on the issue .. before we sent emails out.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids school did kick him out for two weeks after a soccer exposure though. Might want to make your decision before you share with the school.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

And I am now scheduled for my appointments for the vaccine.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 pm And I am now scheduled for my appointments for the vaccine.
Congratulations!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jealous. Think I'm looking more forward to getting a shot of vaccine when I'm back in Vegas in May than I am a shot of Fireball with Rams Fanny.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

One year ago, Rudy touched the mikes.

(We don't know what the mikes thought about it.)

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:02 pm And I am now scheduled for my appointments for the vaccine.
I got scheduled this morning. Gettin first Moderna shot tomorrow.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:52 pm
I’m on for my first shot tomorrow as well. No idea which vaccine. Hoping for J&J so it’ll be the last shot too.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:52 pm
I’m on for my first shot tomorrow as well. No idea which vaccine. Hoping for J&J so it’ll be the last shot too.
I was hoping but it’s moderna for me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hmm. I'd rather the Moderna or Pfizer as they seem to be slightly more effective.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 pm Hmm. I'd rather the Moderna or Pfizer as they seem to be slightly more effective.
I won’t complain about whatever it ends up being, but I’ll take immunity one month earlier in exchange for a slightly higher risk of getting a non-serious case of Covid.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:35 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 pm Hmm. I'd rather the Moderna or Pfizer as they seem to be slightly more effective.
I won’t complain about whatever it ends up being, but I’ll take immunity one month earlier in exchange for a slightly higher risk of getting a non-serious case of Covid.
100% agree
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There's no better lesson in branding and identity than the feeling I got when I first heard that Johnson & Johnson was coming out with a vaccine. "Ooh, they make lotion and shampoo, that one sounds nice!"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 am There's no better lesson in branding and identity than the feeling I got when I first heard that Johnson & Johnson was coming out with a vaccine. "Ooh, they make lotion and shampoo, that one sounds nice!"
Same but it’s baby powder for me.

Trademark Law 101 right there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Big fan of the "no more tears" lube.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[+] spoiler
Was that intended to be a literal "this slogan but applied to a different product" joke or was it a joke that only works in writing?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 am
[+] spoiler
Was that intended to be a literal "this slogan but applied to a different product" joke or was it a joke that only works in writing?
Lol.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Written, which now somehow seems like the tamer joke.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:00 am There's no better lesson in branding and identity than the feeling I got when I first heard that Johnson & Johnson was coming out with a vaccine. "Ooh, they make lotion and shampoo, that one sounds nice!"
Keep in mind, these are the same people who own the NY Jets. You never hear that shill Fauci mention it.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am
Keep in mind, these are the same people who own the NY Jets. You never hear that shill Fauci mention it.
That's not going to inspire any confidence in the vaccine's efficacy, no.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 am
It was a joke. Just saying that as a Jets fan, the Johnson name doesn't inspire confidence. The Fauci bit was sarcastic, mocking anti-vaxxer types who trash Fauci.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:11 am
brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 am
It was a joke. Just saying that as a Jets fan, the Johnson name doesn't inspire confidence. The Fauci bit was sarcastic, mocking anti-vaxxer types who trash Fauci.
Yeah, I was joking too, agreeing that the Jets futility under Johnson(s) shouldn't lead anyone to believe the company is run any better (though all the evidence is to the contrary, which makes it funny?)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ended up being Pfizer, but I'm OK with that.

No symptoms so far!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:56 pm
Ended up being Pfizer, but I'm OK with that.

No symptoms so far!
Me too. Sitting in the observation area right now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pfizer brothers!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Is it safe yet to confess I got my shot three weeks ago and round 2 on Saturday? Team Pfizer.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm Is it safe yet to confess I got my shot three weeks ago and round 2 on Saturday? Team Pfizer.
I hope no geriatric people in Baltimore got Covid in the same time period, you monster.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just got home from getting my first Moderna. Feel fine so far.

Eta: Coincidentally, I just received an email from the county inviting me to schedule a J&J vaccination on this Saturday.
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:27 pm Is it safe yet to confess I got my shot three weeks ago and round 2 on Saturday? Team Pfizer.
I hope no other geriatric people in Baltimore got Covid in the same time period, you monster.
Fixed that for you.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Heh - I estimate that I killed 35 co-geriatric people. Course, by getting the shot, I saved 48 additional geriatric people by not getting sick, so I am +13.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

VORK.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:03 pm Heh - I estimate that I killed 35 co-geriatric people. Course, by getting the shot, I saved 48 additional geriatric people by not getting sick, so I am +13.
Try drawing that out on the trolley problem meme.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone has any issues whatsoever with people our (most of us being mid-30s to early 50s) ages getting the vaccine, only doing so under false pretenses. I think that was made pretty clear and doesn't really warrant the over the top sarcasm.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:45 pm Just to be clear, I don't think anyone has any issues whatsoever with people our (most of us being mid-30s to early 50s) ages getting the vaccine, only doing so under false pretenses. I think that was made pretty clear and doesn't really warrant the over the top sarcasm.
I’ve never been presented with a situation where sarcasm isn’t appropriate Brian.