NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by mister d »

It also sounds like this season just wasn't much fun for him, playing hurt and out of position. Luckily he's not under contract so its just a morality exercise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:06 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pmSo the only reason to play college games then is NCAA tournament? Don't the rest of the games matter for his development? Is a game against UVA this week different than playing St. Marys in late March?
I think for the 0ne and done crowd, yeah, winning a championship is the ultimate goal if you go the college route so you have to get the tournament to do that. All these kids think they're the guy that's gonna get it done.
The tournament also provides a ton of exposure and possibility of playing against very high-level competition with a lot of attention from NBA personnel. Guys go from "why would they even think of turning pro" to "mid- to late first round pick" due to one tournament game (or even several minutes of one tournament game), why couldn't a guy expected to be one-and-done in college raise their draft stock?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Absolutely. Not crazy at all for duke to run off a few in a row and maybe a couple acc tournament wins and get in. Can't tell me ncaa doesn't want duke in a covid revenue year. Catch fire like carsen edwards and all the sudden youve duped some gm
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:17 pm... why couldn't a guy expected to be one-and-done in college raise their draft stock?
Because he's hurt and playing out of position?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is all pretty silly. Dude has a history of injury, is not seeing a lot of the floor, is playing out of position. Duke is barely average this, so the odds them getting out of their first weekend is dicey, at best

I just don't have any kind of problem here, or with college football players doing the same. Hell, unless you are playing for a championship, college bowl games are about as meaningful as the Pro Bowl. Fuck that noise if I'm a first day draft pick.

The NCAA, if it any kind of foresight, could've seen this coming and done more to win the hearts and minds of both players and the fans. I love to watch college sports, but to say I don't have 10 percent of the loyalty to "my team" that I used to is an understatement of the highest order. The folks in power because reasons took their payouts (many still are) with a bunch of propaganda about the integrity of the student-athlete and... Here we are.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:13 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:17 pm... why couldn't a guy expected to be one-and-done in college raise their draft stock?
Because he's hurt and playing out of position?
To be clear, I am pro-player. They should sit out whenever they want, whether to protect their their health due to the pandemic or their professional future at any point (if a player was a first round lock and opted out with three games to go, I'd be fine with it - and a smart professional franchise would treat it as "less wear on his body" and not "quit on his team").

My previous post was about wlu's question about "the only reason to play is the tournament".
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah. There's a selfishness issue there. Now maybe that's ok. Maybe it's exactly the time for him to be selfish. But it definitely reflects on his character. What happens when his interests don't align with the gm's professional team? Have to believe those interests will diverge eventually. Unless hes a top top talent, he's going to face the same thing in the league. Bench. Sporadic minutes. Suboptimal environments to develop and play through mistakes. And how aren't these last couple weeks at Duke exactly the opportunity he won't have next year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What happens when a GMs interests don't align with a player happy with his team situation?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am Nah. There's a selfishness issue there. Now maybe that's ok. Maybe it's exactly the time for him to be selfish. But it definitely reflects on his character. What happens when his interests don't align with the gm's professional team? Have to believe those interests will diverge eventually. Unless hes a top top talent, he's going to face the same thing in the league. Bench. Sporadic minutes. Suboptimal environments to develop and play through mistakes. And how aren't these last couple weeks at Duke exactly the opportunity he won't have next year.
Because he will be getting paid while sitting on the bench. And playing against top tier talent in practice. Something even Duke cannot do.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If you want to watch scrappy D, you'd be hard pressed to find one better than this MI - Rutgers game. Y
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:43 pm If you want to watch ...crappy D, you'd be hard pressed to find one better than ... M...e...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Were you hanging out with BSF? You caught it too?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Gonzaga blows people out by so much its not even really interesting to watch their games. They are currently winning their game by 41 points with 6 minutes left.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

They'll get to see some decent teams in the Dance.

The MI-OSU game today (#3 vs. #4) was like watching a professional game. Not saying that all the players are NBA-caliber, but in terms of shot making, execution... And, shit, MUCH harder defense than you see in most pro games.

I don't have the stats, but both teams shot above 50 percent, both hit a shit load of 3s, and both were very solid at the stripe.

I honestly wasn't going to be upset with a MI loss today, because the game was just that good.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is so strange. This season in a nutshell.
A0D2D674-CD9B-43EA-BCD3-28349C5F98F1.jpeg
A0D2D674-CD9B-43EA-BCD3-28349C5F98F1.jpeg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 634 times
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:00 pm They'll get to see some decent teams in the Dance.
That's what worries me...they'll have been playing creampuffs for so long that when they come up against a good team they'll be in trouble.

They did play some good teams in the pre-conference season, and handled them, so who knows.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:00 pm They'll get to see some decent teams in the Dance.
That's what worries me...they'll have been playing creampuffs for so long that when they come up against a good team they'll be in trouble.

They did play some good teams in the pre-conference season, and handled them, so who knows.
They will get a couple games against meh teams, but a ton of pressure, to get themselves going. They'll be fine. Mark Few doesn't need a lot to get his guys going.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 am

They will get a couple games against meh teams, but a ton of pressure, to get themselves going. They'll be fine. Mark Few doesn't need a lot to get his guys going.
It helps that he's got a couple of really solid players (Kispert, Timme) to match with a star (Suggs).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia's in a nasty late-season swoon. I don't like it.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Great match-up tonight with Iowa facing up against MI. A win tonight pretty much clinches the regular season title for the Wolverines. Iowa is a VERY good team with one of the best players in the game (Garza).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hey AB....did you see this story about Coach Cal and recruiting Reed Sheppard?

John Calipari, Reed Sheppard and Kentucky's Recruiting Crossroads
The son of Jeff and Stacey Sheppard—the Most Outstanding Player of the men’s 1998 Final Four and a top-15 career scorer in the women’s program at UK—is routinely blowing up box scores. He is averaging a state-leading 33.1 points per game, twice scoring more than 50. He’s had multiple triple doubles, including one game with 17 assists. But it’s happening against modest competition, in a sparsely populated part of the state, amid a recruiting shutdown.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:44 pm Hey AB....did you see this story about Coach Cal and recruiting Reed Sheppard?

John Calipari, Reed Sheppard and Kentucky's Recruiting Crossroads
The son of Jeff and Stacey Sheppard—the Most Outstanding Player of the men’s 1998 Final Four and a top-15 career scorer in the women’s program at UK—is routinely blowing up box scores. He is averaging a state-leading 33.1 points per game, twice scoring more than 50. He’s had multiple triple doubles, including one game with 17 assists. But it’s happening against modest competition, in a sparsely populated part of the state, amid a recruiting shutdown.
I've read some stuff about it, but I haven't seen that article. I imagine he will get some kind of offer but not sure how much Cal is willing to change.

ETA: Jeff's boss at the firm in Lexington is the volleyball dad who has petulantly quit group texts twice in the run up to inauguration.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So I guess it’s time to start watching the Illini?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

UVA won the ACC regular season for the third time in four years. Fifth time in the last eight years. What Tony Bennett has done and continues to do with that program just astounds me. With Duke and UNC, it just never seemed conceivable to me that another program could step in and take over the conference the way UVA has.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am UVA won the ACC regular season for the third time in four years. Fifth time in the last eight years. What Tony Bennett has done and continues to do with that program just astounds me. With Duke and UNC, it just never seemed conceivable to me that another program could step in and take over the conference the way UVA has.
I watched some of the UNC-Duke game yesterday. Duke is terrible....how does that happen?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:28 am UVA won the ACC regular season for the third time in four years. Fifth time in the last eight years. What Tony Bennett has done and continues to do with that program just astounds me. With Duke and UNC, it just never seemed conceivable to me that another program could step in and take over the conference the way UVA has.
I watched some of the UNC-Duke game yesterday. Duke is terrible....how does that happen?
They roll the dice every year now like Kentucky with a mostly new batch of talent. That works when the talent is transcendent. When it's not, well basketball is a team game and a less-talented team that plays smart basketball can always win. Duke still has more McDonald's All Americans on that team (5) than UVA has had in the last 25 years. And that's AFTER Duke's most highly-rated freshman quit the team.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Terps blew the game against Penn St last night. Hey we did make it to conference tourneys.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:26 am 5'2" D1 hooper..
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
Going into the transfer portal. Should have 2 years. Thinks he can step up from UMBC.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If Mike Smith at MI is any indication...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:28 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:26 am 5'2" D1 hooper..
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
Going into the transfer portal. Should have 2 years. Thinks he can step up from UMBC.
He might need a step stool.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

What an absolute bullshit statement by the athletic department.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That was actually what Brian wrote, not the official Iowa response.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:23 pm That was actually what Brian wrote, not the official Iowa response.
I laughed
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, I watch a small amount of BB. Mostly Mi and then a few minutes here and there.

Watching Duke-Louiseville and now Minnesota - Northwestern.

Holyshit, yall. These guys don't run an offense!!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Duke has a positive test and is out of the ACC tournament. Probably end up knocking them down to a #3 seed in the big dance.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bet Jalen Johnson is really kicking himself today.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

They still get to play all their games in Greensboro right?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Izzo is losing his mind right now. Terps are getting to the line because they drive the basket and Izzo's guys are playing sloppy d near the rim.