Re: Getting the spins

Post by rass »

Like the musical vibes DiFranco is giving off on her new album

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The NHL thread talk about Chinese Democracy reminded me I heard this news a week or so ago.
https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-rel ... um-in-2021
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've tried a couple of times to like Phoebe Bridgers. Her albums are a style I like (sort of a female Elliott Smith), but I just find them boring and can't make it to the end.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Try Julien Baker?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I really think boygenius may be the apex of all of their stuff thus far. Well, that album (maybe it's just a long EP), and Kyoto. I fucking love Kyoto.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maybe you should listen to Punisher in reverse order then, because "I Know The End" and "ICU" rock 10x harder than anything Elliott Smith ever did.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And I'd say Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe and Conor Oberst) is at least as good as her solo stuff and boygenius.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 pm And I'd say Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe and Conor Oberst) is at least as good as her solo stuff and boygenius.
Yeah, I'll give you that.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Echo & the Bunnymen would have been bigger if their name weren't so stupid.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:56 am Echo & the Bunnymen would have been bigger if their name weren't so stupid.
Nah. FM radio was garbage in the 80s, and the only satellite radio systems piped music into restaurants.

They were huge in England because music is better appreciated over there.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
If only they had fought some foo in their younger days they would have been hits.

Well that, and having a member of an already megafamous band as the front man.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The search says I've done this in real life and not here, but that's another one on the list: If the Foo Fighters were exactly the same in every way except Nirvana never existed, do they ever get noticed or huge?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:22 pm But bands of that era did and have gotten big. They'd be bigger with a better or more simple name. Their name is "shite".
So...what other post-modern/alternative bands out of early 80s England enjoyed greater success stateside during that timeframe? The Cure? Who else?
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Smiths?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't know how narrow you're defining the genre, but anyone from like Depeche Mode through New Order? A shitload of british bands still got pretty huge during that era, no?

We had this mate who kept suggesting all these names like The Daz Men or Glisserol and the Fan Extractors. Echo and the Bunnymen was one of them. I thought it was just as stupid as the rest.

When we have time travel, the same band is going to come out as Glisserol and they're going to be atleast one tier up in popularity and then I'll totally call you out here.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm
So...what other post-modern/alternative bands out of early 80s England enjoyed greater success stateside during that timeframe? The Cure? Who else?
Not sure about the 80s, but Foghat in the 70s and Bush in the 90s were English bands that did way better in the US than in their homeland.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

Very similar sounds between Echo and The National. I'd cede that The National's Bryan Devendorf is on a whole other level drumming-wise than anybody Echo & the Bunnymen employed though. That guy's good.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:49 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm
Not sure about the 80s, but Foghat in the 70s and Bush in the 90s were English bands that did way better in the US than in their homeland.
Bush's first LP was an ode to Alice and Chains' style of grunge. I guess England preferred their own Oasis & Blur around that time.

Didn't know Foghat scuffled in England though. Slow Ride was a staple of FM AOR my entire youth though.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'd put Depeche Mode and New Order in a different bucket than E & the BM. But I would put E & the BM in the same one as Simple Minds and Tears for Fears.

Not that that solves anything.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:52 pm I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

Very similar sounds between Echo and The National. I'd cede that The National's Bryan Devendorf is on a whole other level drumming-wise than anybody Echo & the Bunnymen employed though. That guy's good.
To clarify, my point is not at all to critique them, its the opposite. I think quality versus reputation, they skew heavy on the former.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I mean, 'Duran Duran' comes from freaking Barbarella.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I should be clear: never heard of the bunny people.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:12 pm I mean, 'Duran Duran' comes from freaking Barbarella.
But it doesn't sound as stupid. Maybe this is a better way: If The National were the exact same but named "Bernsy and the Double Brothers", they would be far less popular.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sure but the Frontman and the BackingMusicians naming format is anachronistic from the get-got. Wasn't so much in the 80's.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:52 pm I'm guessing as a 12 year old boy, Matt Berninger was taking notes on how he would sing if he grew up to have a booming baritone voice like Ian McCulloch. And lo and behold, he did!

To clarify, my point is not at all to critique them, its the opposite. I think quality versus reputation, they skew heavy on the former.
I didn't think you were.

They were one of those early to mid 80s alt bands out of Britain like The Cure, The Teardrop Explodes, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Joy Division / New Order, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan...who drew their inspiration from David Bowie.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

One on the list I’ve never heard of so that’ll be my first listen tomorrow AM.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The suspense is killing me!
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I regret to inform you it was “not my thing”.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice article on bands based in red states trying to influence the political tides.

The Bottle Rockets, Lucero & Other Red-State Rockers Fight the Good Fight
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Listened to the new Lana Del Rey album. It's very Lana Del Rey. Good, but not her best work, probably,
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Hold Steady posted a playlist of songs that influenced or are mentioned on their new album...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Echo and the Bunnymen talk in here got me to fire them up on Spotify today. One of those bands I know, but have never intentionally listened to. I played the album that's supposed to be their best, Ocean Rain. It has a few good songs, but there's also a LOT of crap on there. Reading about them, the lead singer sounds like an asshole who tried to start a feud with Bono and U2, implying they were only way more successful because they sold out and toured the US.

I decided to cleanse my palate with a different 1984 album - Reckoning. Just no comparison. Reckoning is fucking brilliant.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 pm The Echo and the Bunnymen talk in here got me to fire them up on Spotify today. One of those bands I know, but have never intentionally listened to. I played the album that's supposed to be their best, Ocean Rain. It has a few good songs, but there's also a LOT of crap on there. Reading about them, the lead singer sounds like an asshole who tried to start a feud with Bono and U2, implying they were only way more successful because they sold out and toured the US.

I decided to cleanse my palate with a different 1984 album - Reckoning. Just no comparison. Reckoning is fucking brilliant.
Ocean Rain isn't the best intro to Echo & the Bunnymen. The second side of that LP is brilliant, while yes, the first side is mostly meh.

YMMV, but I like Porcupine and Heaven Up Here a bit better than Ocean Rain. Porcupine specifically. That's the Echo LP to form an opinion about the band, IMO.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Good pandemic-related jam here. Like if Japandroids were from Texas instead of Canada.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.
Even thinking of that song takes me back to a very, very bad time of my life. My first broken heart...

Haven't listened to them in many. many years. Used to love "The Cutter," but just thinking about them bums me out.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I know he's persona non grata these days, but my twitter feed is filled with eric clapton because it's his birthday. And so many people are choosing "Wonderful Tonight" as a clip to include. He's got some bad songs, but I dislike that one with an irrational hatred.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 pm Good pandemic-related jam here. Like if Japandroids were from Texas instead of Canada.

YES! They opened for Lucero and made a big deal about my Murder By Death shirt since they were label mates at the time. They're one of my current favorite bands and Twitter follows.

Also, realized yesterday I'll never hear "Chicago" without thinking of mister d.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm Your album assessment is probably correct but The Killing Moon slays.
Even thinking of that song takes me back to a very, very bad time of my life. My first broken heart...

Haven't listened to them in many. many years. Used to love "The Cutter," but just thinking about them bums me out.
I’m sorry that you have past emotions attached to them like that. That said, The Cutter is a fantastic way to start an album.
Noli Timere Messorem