Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:25 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:18 pmmy sister
That's awesome. Surely she can sneak a bunch of us into the White House though, right?
She is still sore that I have never gone on the behind the scenes tour of the Capitol (cool mini subway included). Everyone else in my family (including my in-laws) have gone and stood on the House floor, etc. Not me. My kids have done some White House grounds stuff through her (Easter egg role and some made for publicity fitness thing with DC-based athletes and mascots). My mom got the xmas decoration tour a few years ago.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Wow, cool.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s really cool man. Congrats to her.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

That's awesome. Surely she can sneak a bunch of us into the White House though, right?
I know someone already on staff, if that helps, and she has the word "social" in her title.

Unrelated, I worked on a show that was on the grounds back in 2016, as well.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:39 pm
She is still sore that I have never gone on the behind the scenes tour of the Capitol (cool mini subway included). Everyone else in my family (including my in-laws) have gone and stood on the House floor, etc. Not me. My kids have done some White House grounds stuff through her (Easter egg role and some made for publicity fitness thing with DC-based athletes and mascots). My mom got the xmas decoration tour a few years ago.
You should totally do that tour, man. Even for someone that worked up there, it's still fucking cool to ride that subway!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is really cool!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My extremism day was better than the box check many expect. We broke into 6 groups of about 25 each (too many people, bit we worked with it) and just talked out loud about the problem. There wasn't any reservation about it either. We discussed extremism in its forms, including political, and there weren't any dissenters from it. We're all tired of the bullshit and especially the media's amplification of it for profit.

The thing I didn't care much for was the part about "what the oath of enlistment represents" and the 2 cents I gave is that it's a baseline which each service then builds on. But I have met people in the military whose sole purpose is to make rank and step on people getting there, so what does the oath matter then?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hell yeah.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

She is going to win in a landslide...
psunate77
Jesus Quintana

Post by psunate77 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:36 pm
50-41, 4 Repubs voted for her including Graham.. That means some Dems didn't vote for her or didn't vote. Telling
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Colorado’s two were stuck in snow and have already stated they would have voted yes and Hirono is gone with a family emergency. This is such a fucking waste of everyone’s time.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not exactly a fan of uniformed military being used to make a point like that. But ok, I guess. I just wouldn't want to see them in trouble when she turns victim and uses it against them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:15 pm
That was almost Pythonesque.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and a cursory Google search resulted in no real answers. Could the Dems eliminate the filibuster with 51 votes, and then the next time a Senate election would result in them losing the majority, vote it back in during the December before the next session? If McConnell wants to be a rules bitch, this would be a good counter, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am So I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and a cursory Google search resulted in no real answers. Could the Dems eliminate the filibuster with 51 votes, and then the next time a Senate election would result in them losing the majority, vote it back in during the December before the next session? If McConnell wants to be a rules bitch, this would be a good counter, right?
I think...not sure...but I think the Senate can change their rules at any point.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right, and if the Dems were to create/eliminate a rule for clear political gains, who's to say the Republicans wouldn't consider doing the same down the line???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 am So I've been thinking about this for a couple of days, and a cursory Google search resulted in no real answers. Could the Dems eliminate the filibuster with 51 votes, and then the next time a Senate election would result in them losing the majority, vote it back in during the December before the next session? If McConnell wants to be a rules bitch, this would be a good counter, right?
They could do that, but as soon as the Republican majority took over in January, that majority would get rid of the filibuster again.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:12 pm
They could do that, but as soon as the Republican majority took over in January, that majority would get rid of the filibuster again.
Are there ways they could reinstate the filibuster, and then require, like, 60 votes to get rid of it again? Because fuck 'em.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:12 pm
Are there ways they could reinstate the filibuster, and then require, like, 60 votes to get rid of it again? Because fuck 'em.
I don't see how. As Seattle Dave said, the Senate can vote to change their rules at any time, and it only takes a majority to do that. It'd take a constitutional amendment to legally impose anything on the Senate that the current group of Senators doesn't want.

(And let's face it, if a party had the right to pass rules to bind future Congresses, the Republicans would have done something to fuck everyone even worse than they already have.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Or Hell. Have some fun with it. Make it that a Senator can only count against Cloture (the 60 vote thing) if he's physically in the Chamber. If they want to hold up a vote, they have to hold their bladders too. As soon as they leave the Chamber that's a vote for Cloture.

Of course those fuckers would do things like have chamber pots in the shape of an elephant or an AR-15...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm (And let's face it, if a party had the right to pass rules to bind future Congresses, the Republicans would have done something to fuck everyone even worse than they already have.)
Similar to states like Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Kentucky where the Republican loses the governor's race, and the Republican Legislature passes laws that severely restricts the Governor's power during the lame duck session.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:25 pm Or Hell. Have some fun with it. Make it that a Senator can only count against Cloture (the 60 vote thing) if he's physically in the Chamber. If they want to hold up a vote, they have to hold their bladders too. As soon as they leave the Chamber that's a vote for Cloture.

Of course those fuckers would do things like have chamber pots in the shape of an elephant or an AR-15...
2028: Senator Gaetz (T-FL) Epic Senate Pants Piss (Full Version)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:31 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:23 pm (And let's face it, if a party had the right to pass rules to bind future Congresses, the Republicans would have done something to fuck everyone even worse than they already have.)
Similar to states like Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Kentucky where the Republican loses the governor's race, and the Republican Legislature passes laws that severely restricts the Governor's power during the lame duck session.
Yeah, one party who controlled both Houses of Congress and the Presidency could definitely pull shit like that during a lame duck session to weaken an incoming president. Or, if they lost Congress but kept the Presidency, they could pass laws that gave a President more discretion on certain things.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 pm Not exactly a fan of uniformed military being used to make a point like that. But ok, I guess. I just wouldn't want to see them in trouble when she turns victim and uses it against them.
Gee. I totally didn't see this back and forth coming.

Guard officials say troops’ march on Republican congresswoman’s office wasn’t a political statement
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Not sure where else to put this:

Some US troops view Capitol riots, racial protests equally, worrying Pentagon leaders

Thanks Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, and the Right Wing Propaganda apparatus.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Hofstetter has kinda blown up in quarantine. A few years back my buddy took me to one of his shows. Must've been no more than 30 people in the crowd.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am Hofstetter has kinda blown up in quarantine. A few years back my buddy took me to one of his shows. Must've been no more than 30 people in the crowd.
His standup used to pop up in my Youtube feed, mostly clips of him destroying hecklers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, he's really good with hecklers and that's where he makes his money on YouTube. Most of his shows he does a Q&A, which really teases out those types of interactions.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

7 white men signing a restrictive voting act into law in front of a plantation home picture.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GOP Senators are touring the border...because of course they are.

Gotta admit...seeing a Senator bragging about the purity levels of home-made meth was not what I would have expected to see.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sounds like he's jealous.

He needs to hire Jesse Pinkman.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I’m hearing that the Mexican meth is more Tex-Mex and not authentic Mexican
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Stealing our jobs!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:14 pm I’m hearing that the Mexican meth is more Tex-Mex and not authentic Mexican
Tex-meth!