Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Pruitt »

[+] spoiler
As a non-Marvel fan, I found the last episode to be disappointing. The unique tone of the series disappeared in the last episode and I found that most of the finale was "classic" Marvel stuff - repetitious, drawn out fight scenes culminating with a hint of movies and shows to come.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched a bunch of episodes of Top Class on IMDB TV. It is about Sierra Canyon's 2019 hoops team/season. Disappointing. They must have done it on a budget because it really could have been something special. Amazing team but no drama or real story. I blame Lebron and team who produced it.

I mean that team was chock full of talent and personalities. They played a world class schedule and went to China as superstars. So when they lose games to good teams they had natural tension. Also no story telling of the teams that best them. They show about St. Francis (Baltimore Football that was too good for their conference) was way better.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am
[+] spoiler
As a non-Marvel fan, I found the last episode to be disappointing. The unique tone of the series disappeared in the last episode and I found that most of the finale was "classic" Marvel stuff - repetitious, drawn out fight scenes culminating with a hint of movies and shows to come.
[+] spoiler
I was going to say the exact same thing although my disappointment started with the penultimate show. It went from such an original/what the hell is happening show to a Marvel movie.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The English series Friday Night Dinner on Prime is really funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:12 am
Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:49 am
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
I was going to say the exact same thing although my disappointment started with the penultimate show. It went from such an original/what the hell is happening show to a Marvel movie.
Yeah but this has to setup the 12 tv series and 12 movies for MCU 4
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The wife is watching Firefly Lane, which is horrible, but at least Katherine Heigl’s sweater puppies get lots of time to play.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Absolutely missed New Girl for its entire run. Started it w/ Jen and...turns out it is pretty damn funny. Fun binge.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
Yup. All in. He voiced struggling Spiderman in Spider Verse, too, I think. This is a fantastic binge.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

"I drove to Mexico and tried to enter a cock fight."

"As a person?"

"Yes, as a person."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:43 pm Absolutely missed New Girl for its entire run. Started it w/ Jen and...turns out it is pretty damn funny. Fun binge.
We’ve been rewatching it lately. Yes it is.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

[+] spoiler
If your entire post is inside a spoiler tag with no outside text saying what it's a spoiler for, is it really a spoiler?
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm
[+] spoiler
If your entire post is inside a spoiler tag with no outside text saying what it's a spoiler for, is it really a spoiler?
[+] spoiler
A valid point for sure.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:54 am
Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:45 pm
[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
A valid point for sure.
[+] spoiler
nods
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Even with the page break you can't possibly claim to not know what show that last set of spoiler discussions was about, right?
[+] spoiler
Or was this just a be perturbed on the internet for no reason thing?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:46 pm I’m a Jake Johnson fan 4 life because of that show
Nick Miller is my spirit animal.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:05 am
Nick Miller is my spirit animal.
This checks out. When I try to picture you in my head, Brian, the first image that comes up is Nick Miller. Then I say "no, that's the guy from New Girl" and I get the right one.

(At least it's no longer Forrest Whittaker.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Amazon has "Making Their Mark". Another one of their Hark Knocks-style show. However, this one...Aussie Rules. Have never watched a show that has a specific warning for Aboriginals.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:44 pm Have never watched a show that has a specific warning for Aboriginals.
This seems to be pretty standard for any recording that shows Aboriginals since they're sensitive about seeing photos/videos of people that have passed. Watched The Proposition and Australia recently and both had this warning.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Invincible (Amazon Prime) is interesting. I don't know anything about the comics it is based upon but very strong voice talent. First 3 went up today and the story is different. I am not a fan of the animation style but probably will hang with it.

Some of the voices-
J.K. Simmons, Steven Yeun, Walton Goggins, Gillian Jacobs, Jason Mantzoukas, Zach Quinto, Mark Hamil, Seth Rogen, Nicole Byer, Clancy Brown (the crab from Spongebob), Maherhala Ali, Jon Hamm
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’d argue Clancy Brown is probably best-known as the sadistic guard Byron Hadley from Shawshank Redemption than Spongebob, but that’s maybe just me.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm I’d argue Clancy Brown is probably best-known as the sadistic guard Byron Hadley from Shawshank Redemption than Spongebob, but that’s maybe just me.
Yeah. Absolutely. But he has done shitloads of voice work for video games too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (5.13 KiB) Viewed 597 times
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Apparently S2 of I Think You Should Leave wrapped filming last week. Should mean we have some new eps by this summer.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:24 pm Apparently S2 of I Think You Should Leave wrapped filming last week. Should mean we have some new eps by this summer.
Awesome!!!

Sadly, no sequels to this...

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

"United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm "United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
Chuck Lorre.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Even for Chuck Lorre...damn it looks bad.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm "United States of Al" looks like the most stupid/insulting show that's ever been put on television.
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

excerpt from wiki, describing the show's critical reception, wrote:Afghan journalist Ali Latifi shared his criticism of the show in an op-ed for Business Insider stating "the Chuck Lorre production is a show from another era: it's all flat characters, and cheap, uninspired jokes." While giving praise to Lorre's television series The Big Bang Theory, he also shared a quote from a conversation with Afghan-American social rights activist Mariam Wardak, who he quoted as saying "rather than showing Afghan interpreters as brave men who are putting their lives on the line and are risking being ostracized in their community, we have a short, scrawny awkward brown man standing next to this GI Joe."
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

"While giving praise to Lorre's television series The Big Bang Theory"

imma stop you right there...
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:15 pm
That’s a bold statement given how high a bar that is but it does look like a bad show.
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 am
Sounds like just the type of show that'll be a #1 hit in America. Even moreso now that people looking for quality programing go to streaming options. Come to think of it, we don't watch a single current show on network TV. Eh, we do record and never watch Shark Tank, but that's the only current show we watch. We recorded the entire run of the Office off Comedy Central when it left Netflix. I'm so ready to ditch cable, but my wife is still holding on for some reason. Anything she wants on cable is available on Hulu or Amazon, and with more things moving to Peacock, Paramount and the like, she is breaking.
You did see that the lead character is brown, right?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am
Then nevermind.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am
Depends on whether his character's relationship with the white male second lead is deferential or dominant. If it's the former, then it's a CBS hit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The white male lead is a former Army Ranger, so you can figure it out.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Aaron Rodgers is guest host of Jeopardy this week. A contestant’s flippant answer during Fnal Jeopardy today was “Who decided to kick that field goal?” Rodgers takes it in stride, pauses and says, “That is a great question.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watch out...Fox News has a late night comedy show that premiered tonight...

Yikes...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So it's just like their normal programming but with a laugh track?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:57 am So it's just like their normal programming but with a laugh track?
That gives me a brilliant idea!
-Pruitt