Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

What if unvaccinated military members can’t touch guns? Would that change the percentage unwilling to hold out?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That would only affect security forces and OSI folks.

The rest of us don't carry guns on a daily basis unless we're in certain deployed locations.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ok, what if you couldn’t touch or look at guns?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Or unlimited breadsticks
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Eh, I’m not too good for Outback, that place is fine. But the average person ought to be able to cook better Italian than what you get at Olive Garden.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, stating the obvious, the craving for relatively plain and bland food also (even subconsciously, or as a learned thing over time) comes down to their intestines and bowels and whatnot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:01 am Eh, I’m not too good for Outback, that place is fine. But the average person ought to be able to cook better Italian than what you get at Olive Garden.
The outback take-out secret...Kids menu...The kid-sized steak is a perfect size. high value to yum ratio
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

serrano wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 am
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:47 pm
serrano wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:29 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 pm My fully vaxxed in laws took my not vaxxed son to Outback Steakhouse today. Ate indoors. I'm about to fucking blow my top.
I’d be pissed to if they took my kid to Outback when I’m sure there a much better Central American restaurant nearby in Tampa. The covid thing would mildly annoy me.
Are you familiar with parents?
My dad’s favorite restaurant is the Olive Garden, so yeah, he doesn’t get to pick where we eat anymore. (My mom is so fed up with his menu choices, she even refused to ask him what he wants to have for his birthday Saturday (divorced but still friendly)
Whoa whoa whoa.

It's a little early in the AM for Olive Garden slander.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Outback is fine.

Olive Garden is fine.

And when you’re older, often fine is good enough. Why go through extra hassle over parking and unfamiliar menus when you only spend ten minutes actually eating anyway?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Off to the "Random shit that makes TB and steve look old" thread!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The tasty salad! The breadsticks!

Buncha fuckin' aristocats up in this forum, apparently.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

When I'm on a road trip, I'm not gonna take a chance on some random place off the highway.* Chiles, Uno's, Outback, Olive Garden, etc are absolutely go to when we stop on a multi-leg journey.

* - Unless I get some solid local advice. Or if I can eyeball a place and see that it's got a good crowd of locals... Had one of my better meals at a legit Mexican food join in High Point, NC a few years back.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Next I'm gonna hear that Cracker Barrel on a road trip is to be avoided. Nonsense!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am When I'm on a road trip, I'm not gonna take a chance on some random place off the highway.* Chiles, Uno's, Outback, Olive Garden, etc are absolutely go to when we stop on a multi-leg journey.

* - Unless I get some solid local advice. Or if I can eyeball a place and see that it's got a good crowd of locals... Had one of my better meals at a legit Mexican food join in High Point, NC a few years back.
I haven't been to any of those chains in at least 15 years, so maybe they have improved, but I'm always going to take my chances on an unknown local place rather than knowing I'm going to get a garbage meal. I'm not anti-chain altogether, some are decent. We'll stop at a Panera on the road (I've seen the mac n cheese video), Chipotle is decent, the kids love Smashburger, and I'll occasionally get something when they go there...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am The tasty salad! The breadsticks!

Maybe Mulligan will show up and talk about how he got food poisoning at Olive Garden. It might change your mind about that chain.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:04 am Look, under federal law they are not allowed to force this onto federal employees and have, from the onset, left it up to the employee to make a choice.

Federal law prohibits employers and others from requiring vaccination with a Covid-19 vaccine distributed under an EUA

And the administration has honored that choice. When given the choice, 1/3 of service members (approx.) have said no. Have we gone onto look into every other federal agency's ratio of people that said "no"? Or are we going to highlight just the troops?

They could've made the shot mandatory for the troops from the very beginning, but didn't. But now everyone is all shocked Pikachu face that the troops aren't a collective hivemind. What the hell did you expect giving people a choice? 100% enthusiastic affirmation? You could offer the troops free ice cream and some will turn it down.

Military May Revisit Making COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory After FDA Grants Approval

I don't know how else to explain it, man. You gave people a choice who don't normally get a choice and oh my god they decided against it -- probably, mostly to just be a dick.
Are members of the military classified exclusively as federal employees or are they soldiers? Is there a difference in classification?

I suspect we will arrive at a point where vaccination requirements become compulsory, even at the federal level. Do we want food and manufacturing employees skipping out on a vaccine?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Olive Garden is fine if you're not going to it at the expense of vastly better local places. Like in Vegas, we'd go there once a year because sometimes it's good to be able to get a shitton of salad and breadsticks with mediocre, though edible pasta. If you're going to Olive Garden once a month or something like that might want to re-evaluate your choices.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Absolutely a difference between a road trip stop and eating locally, and you guys know it. steve's post might be one of the most unintentionally(?) funny things posted here since jerloma forgot how to flirt.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is insane. Wasting a meal on a road trip is even more unforgiveable than at home. That's like 25% of why the internet exists.

(Unless you're eating in the car. Different equation altogether there.)
Last edited by mister d on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Sabo wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:18 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:04 am The tasty salad! The breadsticks!

Maybe Mulligan will show up and talk about how he got food poisoning at Olive Garden. It might change your mind about that chain.
Unlikely! Food poisoning can happen anywhere, including the five-star restaurants.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if he got it because he's allergic to the 10 gallons of piss they put in every batch of marinara?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am Next I'm gonna hear that Cracker Barrel on a road trip is to be avoided. Nonsense!
I never got the hate for Cracker Barrel. Decent, unpretentious slop.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My OG-specific take is that I could never get past the feeling that everything was microwaved there. Not even saying that's the case or that non-chain restaurants don't nuke food but something about Olive Garden made it tough for me to put it out of mind.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Applebees is the same (that microwaved taste).

When you’re driving through and need an overnight stop in bumblefuckistan, you can do a lot worse than some of these places. And when you have to be on the road for another 600+ miles in the AM, sometimes it’s best to play the odds on the safer choice.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:44 am This is insane. Wasting a meal on a road trip is even more unforgiveable than at home. That's like 25% of why the internet exists.

The vast majority of the time I eat dinner on a road trip, it's up and down 95 and it's getting late. We'll pull off around 9 or so and grab something that is a step up from fast food for carry out. My absolute favorite for this is Uno's. But if you give me Outback or Chile's or some such other option, I'm happy to place the order, take the short drive or preferably walk over to there, grab a beer and wait for my food.

These are typically stops in some place like Roanoke Rapids or Wilson, NC... I'm sure there might be a fine establishment in the town that is not really near the highway, but I'm just not going out of my to find it.

I think you are talking about an actual Road Trip, which is different than what I'm describing which is a much more logistical-influenced Vacation Commute. I'm trying to get maximum distance towards the destination with just a little bit of relaxation at the end of the (shitty, usually) drive down 95.

(Similarly, lunch is ALWAYS a fast food joint. I'm not trying to stretch out the driving experience on 95. Just trying to get it behind me.)

So, keeping in mind that our typical Vacation Commute is anywhere from 6.5 to 9.5 hours... Longer if going to FL, but that's not common... I'm not trying to fuck around on those.

Now, when we go to Charlottesville and Shenandoah and stuff like that? Absolutely finding a cool place for lunch on the way out to the mountains. Totally different mindset.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 am
mister d wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:44 am This is insane. Wasting a meal on a road trip is even more unforgiveable than at home. That's like 25% of why the internet exists.

The vast majority of the time I eat dinner on a road trip, it's up and down 95 and it's getting late. We'll pull off around 9 or so and grab something that is a step up from fast food for carry out. My absolute favorite for this is Uno's. But if you give me Outback or Chile's or some such other option, I'm happy to place the order, take the short drive or preferably walk over to there, grab a beer and wait for my food.

These are typically stops in some place like Roanoke Rapids or Wilson, NC... I'm sure there might be a fine establishment in the town that is not really near the highway, but I'm just not going out of my to find it.

I think you are talking about an actual Road Trip, which is different than what I'm describing which is a much more logistical-influenced Vacation Commute. I'm trying to get maximum distance towards the destination with just a little bit of relaxation at the end of the (shitty, usually) drive down 95.

(Similarly, lunch is ALWAYS a fast food joint. I'm not trying to stretch out the driving experience on 95. Just trying to get it behind me.)

So, keeping in mind that our typical Vacation Commute is anywhere from 6.5 to 9.5 hours... Longer if going to FL, but that's not common... I'm not trying to fuck around on those.

Now, when we go to Charlottesville and Shenandoah and stuff like that? Absolutely finding a cool place for lunch on the way out to the mountains. Totally different mindset.
There’s a classic hot dog joint in Wilson. I’ll have to look it up. And the stop-off point for my drive from MD to So FL is Pooler, GA. Every one of these restaurants seems to be here with their signs 7000 feet in the air. The place I order food from though is always the same (so long as I can get there in time before they shut the kitchen down), The Mellow Mushroom.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 am Applebees is the same (that microwaved taste).

When you’re driving through and need an overnight stop in bumblefuckistan, you can do a lot worse than some of these places. And when you have to be on the road for another 600+ miles in the AM, sometimes it’s best to play the odds on the safer choice.
I always viewed Applebees as the worst of the chains. I have the same feeling, that these restaurants have cases of frozen meals they microwave. Maybe I'm wrong, but it tasted microwaved and every meal was identical in every restaurant across the country. For me, eating at a restaurant should be experiencing something new. As a kid, I would never order something off a menu if I had it before, as I already knew what it tasted like. I'd rather try something new I don't like as much than have something I like repeatedly. Not always the case, if I absolutely love something and only return once a year, I'll probably get that meal again.

ETA: If I was on a road trip and there was nothing else around, I'd stop into a Fridays, Outback or the like, I'm not boycotting them, but I would rather go to a random roadside diner than one of them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My daughter was most excited about eating "chocolate bread" on the Strip when we told her there is an Outback there. It was adorable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 am Olive Garden is fine if you're not going to it at the expense of vastly better local places. Like in Vegas, we'd go there once a year because sometimes it's good to be able to get a shitton of salad and breadsticks with mediocre, though edible pasta. If you're going to Olive Garden once a month or something like that might want to re-evaluate your choices.
FWIW, I can't even remember the last time I actually went to an Olive Garden - even before the pandemic. We generally go to or buy takeout from local restaurants to support them rather than giving our money to the chains. But when the kids were little, we'd go to Olive Garden a few times a year. Red Lobster also.

There was never a time where I walked away from either place thinking I had gotten a garbage meal. The food was always fine.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

appreciate the reassurances. LA is still very upset with her family and I don't think there's going to be a reconsideration of going so we'll just do our own thing here (and I'll be able to spend the weekend cleaning out the garage so that's a win).

her dad is getting his first shot today too. we weren't worried about being at their house because three of the five of us there would have had two shots and the other two would have had one but it was the larger gatherings and the, uh, attitudes that were the no go.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 am(Similarly, lunch is ALWAYS a fast food joint. I'm not trying to stretch out the driving experience on 95. Just trying to get it behind me.)
I'll knowingly blow an hour at a sit-down versus takeout plus an extra hour of traffic if its dinner but lunch is always a traffic calc for me. Like when we had a no-kids trip in 2019 to go to Portland, ME, we stopped Treehouse and took our time and then realized if we didn't get out quick we'd risk rush-hour traffic and ended up grabbing Wendy's. A tragedy, because it was a wasted trip meal, but still better than losing time before hitting the destination.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 am(Similarly, lunch is ALWAYS a fast food joint. I'm not trying to stretch out the driving experience on 95. Just trying to get it behind me.)
I'll knowingly blow an hour at a sit-down versus takeout plus an extra hour of traffic if its dinner but lunch is always a traffic calc for me. Like when we had a no-kids trip in 2019 to go to Portland, ME, we stopped Treehouse and took our time and then realized if we didn't get out quick we'd risk rush-hour traffic and ended up grabbing Wendy's. A tragedy, because it was a wasted trip meal, but still better than losing time before hitting the destination.
A road trip is a chance for me to eat McDonald's guilt-free.

Edit: Though for some added context, there aren't a lot of "destination" local restaurants in Elko.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 am appreciate the reassurances. LA is still very upset with her family and I don't think there's going to be a reconsideration of going so we'll just do our own thing here (and I'll be able to spend the weekend cleaning out the garage so that's a win).

her dad is getting his first shot today too. we weren't worried about being at their house because three of the five of us there would have had two shots and the other two would have had one but it was the larger gatherings and the, uh, attitudes that were the no go.
Good for you, Bronto. Now that my parents are fully vaccinated and my wife and I will soon get our second shots, the folks are agitating for a family gathering. I said I’m in no hurry at all to hang out near my brother, who doesn’t plan to get vaccinated (and only wears a mask under duress.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Wife and I got first shot this morning. Classic rock was playing, so the song upon arrival was "Love Gun" and on the way out was "All Right Now".

I made a "no fast food" rule for our road trips, so we end up at Panera/Chipotle (although I have been ruling out Panera because I can't stand it) or something from the Applebee's/Chili's realm. I do occasionally buy the individually-portioned Panera macaroni and cheese from Costco for our kids, which costs a lot less than actually going to Panera and is also a slightly larger portion size while coming from the same factory.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My problem with most chains is their propensity to over-salt everything. Applebee’s? Not if I have a choice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 am My problem with most chains is their propensity to over-salt everything. Applebee’s? Not if I have a choice.
My lax team used to hold a fundraiser on a Sunday morning at the local Applebees where the girls served breakfast prepared by the restaurant. Soggy pancakes and overcooked bacon all courtesy of the bank of microwaves in the kitchen. There was a deep fryer and a small grill for burgers but everything else is nuked. Hence the salt. The only people who thought it was a good idea was the booster club, and they’re the worst.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Got my second shot yesterday. Splitting headache all day today, a low grade fever, and achy as hell. I’d gladly go through it again. Now my whole immediate family is vaccinated and I am optimistic about this summer and actually getting to go do some things.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Square Rob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:25 pm Got my second shot yesterday. Splitting headache all day today, a low grade fever, and achy as hell. I’d gladly go through it again. Now my whole immediate family is vaccinated and I am optimistic about this summer and actually getting to go do some things.
Awesome. Now don't blow it all by getting killed in a tornado outbreak.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Square Rob wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:25 pm Got my second shot yesterday. Splitting headache all day today, a low grade fever, and achy as hell. I’d gladly go through it again. Now my whole immediate family is vaccinated and I am optimistic about this summer and actually getting to go do some things.
Awesome. Now don't blow it all by getting killed in a tornado outbreak.
There was a cell coming right at us, but it broke up right after it crossed the border. Second bad breakout in a week.