2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:38 am It's nuts that there's a plausible A team that doesn't include Reyna.

I'm not even into the wasted energy of arguing the point, just noting that it's crazy how talented we are on those A/B teams.
First thing that stood out to me. I don't know enough to argue with any of the choices, and the author clearly changed his mind and criticized his choices, which is fantastic. Have we ever had this much depth? Clearly we have never had close to the level of talent or players cracking the lineups of giant clubs like Barca and Chelsea. Speaking of Barca, I heard Dest scored two goals in a La Liga match. I find it hard to accept it as a milestone for an American player, but it's a milestone for a young player who opted to play for the USMNT!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I noticed little Klinsmann did not even make the list. He picked up a knock right before Olympic qualification camp. Lots of depth in the goal.

Also cool article on the 2000 Olympic team.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-stat ... 8/us-mens-
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Those Olympics were incredible. Waking up and joining other fanatics at Summer's for 5am kickoffs was incredible.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ocoha gets the start. Hope no stupid yellow cards. Lots of high press from Mex in the new ugly pink kits.
Last edited by wlu_lax6 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

All for nothing. Ouch
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Last night was a totally meaningless game, really. I don't know that there's an advantage playing either Hondo or Canada. At least in the games I've caught, both can be dangerous going forward and both seem a little unorganized at times.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am Last night was a totally meaningless game, really. I don't know that there's an advantage playing either Hondo or Canada. At least in the games I've caught, both can be dangerous going forward and both seem a little unorganized at times.
Yeah a draw or loss was equivalent. Best part only 1 yellow and that was Ocoha. So full squad for the semi.

What I found most interesting is how good a job Mexico did in defensive shape. They force US to go back to the goalie for build up all night. Us could move the ball in their back 1/3 but the middle 3rd was all Mexico. Us could not break the lines. They only real offense was the big ball over the top diagonally up the field. Lots of time for Mexico to recover even if the US could get to the endline after that.

Also US turnovers and lack of touch was really the story.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

CONCACAF really goofed by not doing the format that the NBA is using for its play-in tournament:

1A vs 1B for a spot in Japan
2A vs 2B elimination game
Loser1 vs Winner2 for the other spot.

Instead you get one (and hopefully two) meaningless US/Mexico games.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's a very goofy format, to be sure.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

No spoiler, but Holy Shit.
[+] spoiler
holy shit... Dest with an absolute blinder
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm No spoiler, but Holy Shit.
[+] spoiler
Loved that little hesitation just before the shot.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 pm No spoiler, but Holy Shit.
[+] spoiler
Loved that little hesitation just before the shot.
He is having a nice week
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pace looks higher even in a 2 min clip.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pmLoved that little hesitation just before the shot.
Does that freeze the goalie?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:32 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pmLoved that little hesitation just before the shot.
Does that freeze the goalie?
No clue if his intent was to do that, or get another inch past a defender, or another inch closer to his chosen angle, or the ball wobbled on him somehow, but it was either clearly intended or a quick reaction. Pinpoint shot location though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I'd always choose to kick like that if I could do so without tripping and/or dislocating my ankle.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, he realized he beat his defender clean, so he waited for the ball to be just so... Unstoppable. A lot of guys just don't have that composure. That's world class shit.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Need to keep in mind that was a makeshift Jamaica squad, but a lot to be happy about in that game. Dest looks like he could be world class, and I love watching is interplay with Pulisic. Brandon Aronson looked fantastic, too. Reyna had some flashes, but his finishing was bad. I think that’ll come.

What I really loved was the movement off the ball, especially in the first half. Every player makes a past and immediately made a quick cut for a return pass. Even better were the runs in the box and the run behind the striker. They made that run at least 10 times, and it led to a couple goals. Sargent makes great runs and pulls the defenders leaving wide open space behind him. Twellman was harsh on Sargent. While he didn’t get a goal, he did great work and never stops making runs. His assist was brilliant. The goals will come.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Agree with all that, and I'm very bullish on this squad. Keeping in mind I think Adams is a significant bump from Acosta AND, more importantly, the addition of Weston McKennie is a game changer in the middle. You swap him for either Lleget or Cannon (probably Cannon specifically in this match) and now you have Adams-Musah-McKinnie in the middle with Pulisic and Reyna running Inside-Out/Outside In (depending on Dest and the other outside back is doing) and you're starting to really cause the other team fits.

THAT SAID, one thing that bothers me about a number of the guys is bad body language when runs aren't paid off. Throwing your hands up in the air and gesticulating after a play. Just fucking stop it. This was happening VERY early in the game down the right side. If you listen/watch some of the better managers, they hammer the point... Make your runs, keep making your runs, don't get a negative mindset.

It might seem like a small thing, but it's not. You don't want a bitchy, finger pointing vibe to set in.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just because the coffee is kicking in:

If you watch the first 15 minutes of the game, the ball is humming down the right side with Reyna bossing things, and I can't remember who is overlapping on the outside, but he doesn't get the pass and if it wasn't the first run, it was on the second that he's throwing his hands up in the air in frustration.

Contrast that with Pulisic and Dest, where CP was in possession at least three times early, Dest is making runs, and CP coughs it up. You didn't see anything out of Dest there. Just got back to his spot and carried on.

That's the contrast I'm talking about. Be a professional and do your job.

I could understand if it had been in the 70th and you'd been busting your ass all day with no payoff. In the first 10 minutes? Thafuckouttahere.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am Agree with all that, and I'm very bullish on this squad. Keeping in mind I think Adams is a significant bump from Acosta AND, more importantly, the addition of Weston McKennie is a game changer in the middle. You swap him for either Lleget or Cannon (probably Cannon specifically in this match) and now you have Adams-Musah-McKinnie in the middle with Pulisic and Reyna running Inside-Out/Outside In (depending on Dest and the other outside back is doing) and you're starting to really cause the other team fits.

THAT SAID, one thing that bothers me about a number of the guys is bad body language when runs aren't paid off. Throwing your hands up in the air and gesticulating after a play. Just fucking stop it. This was happening VERY early in the game down the right side. If you listen/watch some of the better managers, they hammer the point... Make your runs, keep making your runs, don't get a negative mindset.

It might seem like a small thing, but it's not. You don't want a bitchy, finger pointing vibe to set in.
100% agree. It is one of those things that you think pros would get. Teaching people that making runs sets up things in the future or even space for others right now is really hard for some of the kids to get..but at this level it should be known.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And to Syb's point, Sargent wasn't getting enough credit for his tireless runs and pulling defenders away and creating space for CP, Dest, Musah and Reyna to exploit.

US probably should've had 3 first half goals, and lot of that had to do with quality runs up top creating space.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:56 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am Agree with all that, and I'm very bullish on this squad. Keeping in mind I think Adams is a significant bump from Acosta AND, more importantly, the addition of Weston McKennie is a game changer in the middle. You swap him for either Lleget or Cannon (probably Cannon specifically in this match) and now you have Adams-Musah-McKinnie in the middle with Pulisic and Reyna running Inside-Out/Outside In (depending on Dest and the other outside back is doing) and you're starting to really cause the other team fits.

100% agree. It is one of those things that you think pros would get. Teaching people that making runs sets up things in the future or even space for others right now is really hard for some of the kids to get..but at this level it should be known.
Last night I was discussing Reyna's body language with a friend. I got the sense Reyna was pushing too hard for a goal and maybe in his own head. His reactions after his missed shots were pretty severe, and I noticed a couple times he reacted when he didn't get a pass, but saw it from others as well.

I was thinking Acosta would be a great player against physical CONCACAF opponents due to his toughness, then minutes later his fearless play getting an extra touch before a hard collision led to a goal. I don't think he is talented enough against top teams, but I think his toughness will be great in WC Qualifiers and Gold Cup.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Reyna is a great example of a guy that needs to mature and I'm confident he will, but, yes, he's absolutely one of the guys that I was talking about.

That's a great description of Acosta, and in terms of level of play is where Llegett (sp) lives, too. He's a quality player, but he's not the type of guy that has the skill to be dangerous on his own. And that's ok, if he's going to be clinical with finishing against CONCACAF foes. Shit, there are going to be times when the talented guys are going to frustrate.... "just shoot the fucking ballllll!!!"
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You think that’s bad, you should see young litigation associates when their research doesn’t make its way into the brief!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rex wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:24 pm You think that’s bad, you should see young litigation associates when their research doesn’t make its way into the brief!
Heh.

Not gonna lie ... I was definitely that way.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:02 pm Reyna is a great example of a guy that needs to mature and I'm confident he will, but, yes, he's absolutely one of the guys that I was talking about.

That's a great description of Acosta, and in terms of level of play is where Llegett (sp) lives, too. He's a quality player, but he's not the type of guy that has the skill to be dangerous on his own. And that's ok, if he's going to be clinical with finishing against CONCACAF foes. Shit, there are going to be times when the talented guys are going to frustrate.... "just shoot the fucking ballllll!!!"
Every time I see Lleget get a call up, I get annoyed they are wasting a spot on an older guy who isn’t good enough, but he always seems to play well.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

be interestig to see what kind of squad US puts out there today.

also how does Wales beat Mexico?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Look great early
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Somone get Acosta off the pitch.

This team is gonna be a monster when Tyler Adams is on the pitch with the rest of the fellas.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Think I've seen enough of dike already.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Was better. Strong kid.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Uhh... Might want to stand up when the ball comes for you in the box
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This Hondo-US game is pretty concacafy. Ref is having none of the theatrics. US has the possession but can't create good opportunities in the final 3rd. Looks likey they are crossing balls just hoping someone is in there. Honduras doing a nice job taking the big US threats off the ball.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Yuck way to end the half.
Had to take a yellow and then goal off the free kick.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The US “attack”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also never new you got cap-tied after 4 friendlies (Musah). Seems reasonable.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Might just be saying this because it’s dark now but Olympics don’t mean shit. More important this core gets experience in CONCACAF qualies and then Qatar.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jesus
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dart of a shot there.