NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: NCAA Basketball - 2020 Offseason/Season

Post by duff »

Ok, IU better open the vault for Porter Moser.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Big loss for Carolina and a huge opportunity for someone. This kid is gonna be really good.

Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shaka Smart leaving UT for Marquette.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 am Shaka Smart leaving UT for Marquette.
Whoa. Isn’t that a step down?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, its rare to see a lateral or downward move for a coach under contract, even if its to go home like Shaka is doing. Unless there's like a mutual reduction in the buyout and he got to leave just before being fired or something its just a weird one?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 am Yeah, its rare to see a lateral or downward move for a coach under contract, even if its to go home like Shaka is doing. Unless there's like a mutual reduction in the buyout and he got to leave just before being fired or something its just a weird one?
Tubby Smith left for Minnesota while under contract with UK. Sometimes it's probably not worth dealing with some of the shit at these big name programs, I imagine.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Texas is one of those jobs where it's a lot harder to succeed than what it should be with their resources, recruiting pool, etc. for no singular reason.

Rick Barnes won 402 games in 17 seasons, made 16 tourneys and a Final Four. Had them in the top 6 of the polls at some point in eight seasons. And no one cared or cares.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't follow UT as much as I used to, but a buddy says they won't be very good next year and Shaka was already on the hot seat there, so he may have just bolted to take that job now.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shaka was definitely on the hot seat at Texas. And I wonder if the current controversy over The Eyes of Texas and the athletic department's response to it didn't play a part.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There was a rumor started this week in the DMV about Turgeon looking to go back to the Midwest and eyeing Power 5 options. Don't know how legit that is but that would be strange.
https://247sports.com/Article/Mark-Turg ... 162995890/

A quick google says he may be in the Oklahoma conversation.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... on-kruger/
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:58 am Shaka was definitely on the hot seat at Texas. And I wonder if the current controversy over The Eyes of Texas and the athletic department's response to it didn't play a part.
Could not for the life of me figure out why sabo was so invested in this as he messaged me earlier in the day. Then I recalled.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am Texas is one of those jobs where it's a lot harder to succeed than what it should be with their resources, recruiting pool, etc. for no singular reason.

Rick Barnes won 402 games in 17 seasons, made 16 tourneys and a Final Four. Had them in the top 6 of the polls at some point in eight seasons. And no one cared or cares.
Circle back up to brianVGS-DTW's link about how some schools are football or basketball schools. Basketball just gets drowned out in some towns (and vice versa with football.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:55 am Texas is one of those jobs where it's a lot harder to succeed than what it should be with their resources, recruiting pool, etc. for no singular reason.

Circle back up to brianVGS-DTW's link about how some schools are football or basketball schools. Basketball just gets drowned out in some towns (and vice versa with football.)
Leonard Hamilton has coached Florida State for 20 years and has made the Elite Eight exactly once and only made the NCAA Tournament for 9 of those years. A similar performance at Miami for 10 years got him "hired away" at Florida State. It's not a high bar to clear to keep your job at a football school when you're the basketball coach. You more or less just have to not be an embarrassment and keep the stands more or less full.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I would call that succeeding. Texas gets really good support for their basketball teams in terms of attendance. People absolutely care about basketball in Austin.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I'd say that Texas has way more history and interest in basketball than either FSU or Miami.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Other than continuing to cut his checks/not firing him, was there ever really any noticeable support from the administration? Any pressure to do better? Or was it just "we keep making the NCAAs, which keeps ticket sales high enough, so who cares?" Seemed like they were perpetually good with occasional seasons of being better than that, but I've also heard people say with a straight face that TJ Ford was Texas' real coach in 2003 when they made the Final Four.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Utah's got their new coach...

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It seems Indiana decided to get an "Indiana guy"... who has never coached in college.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That .460 winning percentage sure will woo those recruits. Or tell them about playing for Robert Montgomery Knight. That will sure sway their decision. So Mike Woodson is the second coming off Juwan Howard?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 pm Big loss for Carolina and a huge opportunity for someone. This kid is gonna be really good.
Tyler Hansborough making it recklessly personal:

Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

duff wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:50 pm That .460 winning percentage sure will woo those recruits. Or tell them about playing for Robert Montgomery Knight. That will sure sway their decision. So Mike Woodson is the second coming off Juwan Howard?
Or Patrick Ewing! Or maybe that's Royal Ivey?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:12 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:14 pm Big loss for Carolina and a huge opportunity for someone. This kid is gonna be really good.

Tyler played a lot more as a freshman than Kessler did. And didn't have to worry about coming off the bench as a sophomore as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:37 pm

Tyler played a lot more as a freshman than Kessler did. And didn't have to worry about coming off the bench as a sophomore as well.
Yeah this Athletic article doesn't exactly paint UNC as a preferential destination for big men. It's not so much the PT as it is the opportunity showcase the skills NBA scouts are looking for.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's really interesting given UNC's long history of developing good college and pro big men. But the game has changed. That said, Kessler's bigger problem was simply that, as good as he was, he was the fourth-best big on that team. And at the time he transferred, only one of the other guys was surely leaving.

(I also found it funny that he listed Florida State as a team running an offense that can better prepare bigs for the pros. Has he ever watched a Leonard Hamilton offense?)
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 am That's really interesting given UNC's long history of developing good college and pro big men. But the game has changed. That said, Kessler's bigger problem was simply that, as good as he was, he was the fourth-best big on that team. And at the time he transferred, only one of the other guys was surely leaving.

(I also found it funny that he listed Florida State as a team running an offense that can better prepare bigs for the pros. Has he ever watched a Leonard Hamilton offense?)
Yep. When Raftery exclaimed "they ran a play!!" with one minute left in the first half on Sunday, it was pretty emblematic of Hamilton's "half-court offense."

Frankly, about half of the B1G is similar in the "roll the ball out there" style of play in the half court. Once you key in on that, it's tough not to notice. (I'm looking at you Turgeon/MD.)
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

In Hamilton's defense (ha!), his offense has gotten a bit better in recent years. It used to be that his teams could only score off turnovers or a singularly, talented offensive player just getting his own buckets. Fortunately, Hamilton is great at recruiting tall, athletic players so every few years, one or two develop into really good players.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:37 pm

He also had an amazing NBA career.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Will the last one leaving the O'Dome please turn out the lights?

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I hope the fanbases of your favorite teams are taking the transfer portal as well as Syracuse's. About the only thing missing is a death threat against a player for leaving. Of course, that probably just means I just haven't looked in the right place.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

UC had so many enter the transfer portal they only have four players left.

I confess to having not paid any attention to what the transfer portal has become - is this a commonplace thing now?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 pm UC had so many enter the transfer portal they only have four players left.

I confess to having not paid any attention to what the transfer portal has become - is this a commonplace thing now?
It has been reported there are over 1,000 players in it now, or approximately 25% of all Division One players.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Wow.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It has gotten increasingly popular, but this year is special. The NCAA has basically said this season didn't count against anyone's eligibility, so every player gets an extra year. Also, there's widespread belief that the NCAA will do away with the standard one-year sit requirement for transfers (and they'd already gotten pretty lenient with exceptions).

So basically, you're looking at a true free market of players this year.

(COVID is likely another factor in unhappy players. Imagine anyone who isn't playing enough or doesn't like their coach. Most years, they could still enjoy college and may stick around because they love the school. Not this year with everyone locked in their rooms on zoom. If the basketball season was unhappy, they had no respite.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Zags are not fucking around
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Are they killing it in the transfer portal too?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm It has gotten increasingly popular, but this year is special. The NCAA has basically said this season didn't count against anyone's eligibility, so every player gets an extra year. Also, there's widespread belief that the NCAA will do away with the standard one-year sit requirement for transfers (and they'd already gotten pretty lenient with exceptions).

So basically, you're looking at a true free market of players this year.

(COVID is likely another factor in unhappy players. Imagine anyone who isn't playing enough or doesn't like their coach. Most years, they could still enjoy college and may stick around because they love the school. Not this year with everyone locked in their rooms on zoom. If the basketball season was unhappy, they had no respite.)
Gracias.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:45 pm Are they killing it in the transfer portal too?
They did get Nembhard from Florida last year.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm
brian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:45 pm Are they killing it in the transfer portal too?
They did get Nembhard from Florida last year.
Yeah, this has been a pattern under Mike White

ETA:
From https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... atform=amp

The Gators will be active in the burgeoning transfer portal to rebuild their roster, especially since White signed just one prospect in the 2021 class: guard Kowacie Reeves.

Still, it's a troubling trend for White, who has yet to graduate a single player he signed since replacing NBA-bound Billy Donovan in 2015.

His entire classes from 2016 (Eric Hester, Dontay Bassett and Gorjok Gak) and 2017 (Deaundrae Ballard, Mike Okauru, Chase Johnson and Isaiah Stokes) have transferred. Only Keyontae Johnson remains from Florida's 2018 class, which lost talented point guard Andrew Nembhard to Gonzaga last year and now is without Locke.

Payne is the 12th of 18 signees during White's last five years to transfer, leaving the Gators with little continuity and in a constant state of rebuilding.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not sustainable.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Roy Williams retires.