Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Fuck, that’s rough, Shirley.

I’m sitting in the observation area after my shot. They just played a couple of Dolly Parton songs on the PA.

Now it’s Boys Don’t Cry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am Will they deny them at the site? Highly doubtful I think.
You will need fake ID for them showing them to be 16 or, yes, they will be denied.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

testuser2 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:12 pm PA is still Phase 1A. Healthcare and 65+. No idea why they haven't expanded. We seem middle of the road for percentage of pop that is vaccinated. Maybe it's just an old/sick state. I've wait-listed all over the place, but haven't had a call yet.
Looks like our time is coming.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:22 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am Will they deny them at the site? Highly doubtful I think.
You will need fake ID for them showing them to be 16 or, yes, they will be denied.
???
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Scheduled for next Wednesday. Wife was down for the weekend after getting her second on Friday. Aches and fever.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm I get my 2nd Moderna next Wednesday morning.
Me too! I'm expecting the worst, I was feeling some effects after the first one, and I haven't heard anyone say that. I woke up with a headache that I initially chalked up to sinuses, but as it progressed, it wasn't sinuses. Some weird nausea and dizziness, extremely tired and difficulty concentrating. I wouldn't call it chills per se, but a weird feeling sort of similar to chills. It wasn't horrible, and I was able to get through presenting a two hour webinar, but after that I was shot for the day. Definitely overwhelmed with emotions getting the shot, and volunteering at the clinic, I kept thinking about the historical magnitude of the rollout, knowing this will be a major event in history, and the amount of effort that went into creating the vaccines, the distribution, the logistics of creating the setup for the clinic...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Reaper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:40 pm Looks like our time is coming.

Hell yeah! I came here to post the same thing. I'm hopeful I can get a quick appt because students will be leaving town. I wish there was a single state schedule system. It's annoying to have to go to each one and get something scheduled.

The school district has had a good uptick and the town is 7th in the country after a recent outbreak. Hospital is back to same point it was a few months ago.
Last edited by testuser2 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm I get my 2nd Moderna next Wednesday morning. I really hope I don't have any side effects, because right after the shot, we are driving up to spend two nights in the wine country. Staying at an isolated little VRBO. Plan on doing some hiking and a nice tasting at our favorite place (outdoors, socially distanced, get the entire flight at once).

I don't get too much sexy time these days, so it would suck to feel sick on our little getaway.
What's your spot?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I get my second Pfizer tomorrow. Hoping I only feel like crap on Friday, as we are planning a trip down to Richmond to celebrate my b-day.

The entire house will be fully vaxxed by the end of April (including the 14 day after the shot time period.)

We (the wife and I) have booked a trip to St. John for the beginning of June. Can't. Fucking. Wait.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm I get my second Pfizer tomorrow. Hoping I only feel like crap on Friday, as we are planning a trip down to Richmond to celebrate my b-day.

The entire house will be fully vaxxed by the end of April (including the 14 day after the shot time period.)

We (the wife and I) have booked a trip to St. John for the beginning of June. Can't. Fucking. Wait.
For the love of god, go to The Answer brewpub for beer and food while you're there.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:49 pm I get my second Pfizer tomorrow. Hoping I only feel like crap on Friday, as we are planning a trip down to Richmond to celebrate my b-day.

Newfies are really nice people.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:55 pm

Newfies are really nice people.
I assumed he meant USVI.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I don't know, eh?

(there's no orange font)
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I would like to visit Newfoundland some day, but, yes this is a USVI trip.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm Well, I would like to visit Newfoundland some day, but, yes this is a USVI trip.
Home of Chris Mullin. Got it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 pm

For the love of god, go to The Answer brewpub for beer and food while you're there.
Where were you when I put up the thread on USVI??

ETA - Oh. Wait... The Answer in Richmond. Got it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:20 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Where were you when I put up the thread on USVI??

ETA - Oh. Wait... The Answer in Richmond. Got it.
Do it. Thank me later.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Any advice on areas of the city to stay?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We always stay at my wife's aunt's house in the burbs, so I've got no specific places to point you to, but I'd imagine anywhere near Carytown, the Fan, downtown, the Art museum, etc. would be nice. Scott's Addition is a cool former warehouse type neighborhood that might have some airBNB spots that might be nice. The Veil brewery, and Ardent, and a few other breweries are near there. The Answer is a little further out of downtown (probably need a car to get there from wherever you stay), but it is absolutely a can't miss.

Looking at the menu now, I'd make sure to try at least one Joose (probably Quad Mother of Strawberry Guava Swirlsicle), at least one Stout (probably Peanut Butter Colonel Angus), and whatever else strikes your fancy. They do flights.

Food wise, I can vouch for the pork rinds and kimchi pimento cheese, salt and pepper tofu, Animal fries, and the dumplings.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm I get my 2nd Moderna next Wednesday morning. I really hope I don't have any side effects, because right after the shot, we are driving up to spend two nights in the wine country.
It's completely anecdotal, but I have seen some people attest that staying well-hydrated helps reduce the side effects after the second shot. No harm in trying.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:00 pm We always stay at my wife's aunt's house in the burbs, so I've got no specific places to point you to, but I'd imagine anywhere near Carytown, the Fan, downtown, the Art museum, etc. would be nice. Scott's Addition is a cool former warehouse type neighborhood that might have some airBNB spots that might be nice. The Veil brewery, and Ardent, and a few other breweries are near there. The Answer is a little further out of downtown (probably need a car to get there from wherever you stay), but it is absolutely a can't miss.

Looking at the menu now, I'd make sure to try at least one Joose (probably Quad Mother of Strawberry Guava Swirlsicle), at least one Stout (probably Peanut Butter Colonel Angus), and whatever else strikes your fancy. They do flights.

Food wise, I can vouch for the pork rinds and kimchi pimento cheese, salt and pepper tofu, Animal fries, and the dumplings.
Good looking out! Thanks man...
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:46 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm I get my 2nd Moderna next Wednesday morning. I really hope I don't have any side effects, because right after the shot, we are driving up to spend two nights in the wine country. Staying at an isolated little VRBO. Plan on doing some hiking and a nice tasting at our favorite place (outdoors, socially distanced, get the entire flight at once).

I don't get too much sexy time these days, so it would suck to feel sick on our little getaway.
What's your spot?
My favorite is a small winery in the Graton/Sebastopol area of Sonoma County called Furthermore. They are really nice, down-to-earth folks who make great mid-priced Pinot Noirs. (We are in their wine club and get significant discounts.) My other favorite is close by that one, in Forestville - it is called Joseph Swan and they focus on Zinfandel and Pinot Noir. We are staying northwest of Sebastopol in the Russian River valley.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If Richmond hasn’t changed since 1996, you should check out the laser tag arena, the McDonalds will serve you walking in the drive-thru if someone in your group can juggle really well and some restaurant there (forget which) won’t notice if you pocket your per diem and carry in the components for sandwiches.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:39 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm I get my 2nd Moderna next Wednesday morning. I really hope I don't have any side effects, because right after the shot, we are driving up to spend two nights in the wine country.
It's completely anecdotal, but I have seen some people attest that staying well-hydrated helps reduce the side effects after the second shot. No harm in trying.
Yup. I'll try that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Booked for Tuesday!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 pm If Richmond hasn’t changed since 1996, you should check out the laser tag arena, the McDonalds will serve you walking in the drive-thru if someone in your group can juggle really well and some restaurant there (forget which) won’t notice if you pocket your per diem and carry in the components for sandwiches.
Very helpful! You should consider starting a vlog.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:37 pm
I don't remember if it was posted here or I saw it somewhere else, but a few months ago there was a classic Meghan McCain rant on The View when she came back from maternity leave. She was shocked to discover that women actually need paid maternity leave. The issue never effected her before, but suddenly it was like she was the first person to discover the need. All "I, I, I, me, me, me," but before she was pregnant, no idea that women need time to recover from delivering and no idea that women and baby need time together. I think a lot of Conservatives aren't able to comprehend issues that don't effect them, yet they are able to feel outraged and cheated when people have to pay taxes they will never pay like the estate tax. It's weird.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

My parents got their second Pfizer shot last week and my mom (71) had fatigue/headaches for about three days after while my dad (80) was fine.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 amI don't remember if it was posted here or I saw it somewhere else, but a few months ago there was a classic Meghan McCain rant on The View when she came back from maternity leave. She was shocked to discover that women actually need paid maternity leave. The issue never effected her before, but suddenly it was like she was the first person to discover the need. All "I, I, I, me, me, me," but before she was pregnant, no idea that women need time to recover from delivering and no idea that women and baby need time together. I think a lot of Conservatives aren't able to comprehend issues that don't effect them, yet they are able to feel outraged and cheated when people have to pay taxes they will never pay like the estate tax. It's weird.
I remember that. It's a character trait amongst those types. There has to be a flaw in their brain or something that completely lacks empathy and understanding.

"The problem doesn't exist until I personally experience it."

The military was ahead of the issue by a lot in giving new moms -- and dads -- baby leave. It went up to 16 weeks for the mom's recovery. And it gave the dad something like 4 or 6 weeks off too. I was impressed the military could be so progressive. But I think there was a huge push in the years prior to the change to make it happen.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 amThere has to be a flaw in their brain or something that completely lacks empathy and understanding.
I think this has a ton to do with it. I don't think it's necessarily a complete lack of empathy, but a really strong "us vs them" instinct coupled with a really narrow view of who is "us".
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 am I think a lot of Conservatives aren't able to comprehend issues that don't effect them, yet they are able to feel outraged and cheated when people have to pay taxes they will never pay like the estate tax. It's weird.
See also: Dick Cheney's 'evolution' on gay rights once his daughter came out.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My work had a town hall meeting this morning with some leading scientists/epidemiologists from the Fred Hutch Cancer center this morning. The takeaways:
  • We're heading into a 4th Surge of cases, due to variants
  • The severity of this will be dependent on how seriously local authorities take things like social distancing and masking
  • The threat of 'SuperSpreader' events is still very real
  • The recent news about the vaccine's being effective for 6 months is very misleading...they are effective for 'AT LEAST' 6 months.
  • All evidence shows that the vaccine's are safe/effective for children ages 13 and up.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks, DiS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Love to see the liberals on my Twitter feed celebrating this month’s huge job growth ... after spending six weeks smugly scolding places like TX and FL and SD for opening up their bars and restaurants and gyms.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:24 am Love to see the liberals on my Twitter feed celebrating this month’s huge job growth ... after spending six weeks smugly scolding places like TX and FL and SD for opening up their bars and restaurants and gyms.
I was secretly hoping Biden would hold a press conference to celebrate his amazing economy the first day the Dow went above "Trump's record." Sure, it would have been childish and petty, a complete waste of time, counterproductive and wholly outside of everything Biden is and the image he wants to portray to bring normalcy back to the WH, but Trump's inevitable meltdown in response would have been so fun. Not to mention all the Conservatives coming out saying the Dow means nothing, it's all Trump's economy... after 4 years of touting Trump as saving the economy by continuing the same line of growth Obama fueled. [end threadjack]
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I played the I’m technically obese card (6’1”, 240 puts me a few ticks beyond 30 BMI), and my wife has scar tissue on her lungs from a bout with cancer 25 years ago. So we technically qualify for vaccinations.

We’re both scheduled for Tuesday, Apr 6 at 3p at M&T Bank Stadium. The brand of shot was not revealed, however.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Today was supposed to be the day where the general public could start scheduling. I got up at 2am to beat the rush. None of the websites for locations had been updated to reflect the open phase so I just lied and said I was eligible per the last phase. Not sure what else a guy's gotta do to get poked around here.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am Today was supposed to be the day where the general public could start scheduling. I got up at 2am to beat the rush. None of the websites for locations had been updated to reflect the open phase so I just lied and said I was eligible per the last phase. Not sure what else a guy's gotta do to get poked around here.
When we got our first shot, New York was allowing age 50+ to get vaccinated. They also allowed people age 40+ to sign up for a standby list for surplus shots, so mu wife jumped on that. Two days later, we got emailed that we could make appointments. Of course, the registration website was not set up for those of us in the "standby" group and we had to lie when answering two questions to confirm appointments, but no one questioned anything on-site.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”