Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:25 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am Today was supposed to be the day where the general public could start scheduling. I got up at 2am to beat the rush. None of the websites for locations had been updated to reflect the open phase so I just lied and said I was eligible per the last phase. Not sure what else a guy's gotta do to get poked around here.
When we got our first shot, New York was allowing age 50+ to get vaccinated. They also allowed people age 40+ to sign up for a standby list for surplus shots, so mu wife jumped on that. Two days later, we got emailed that we could make appointments. Of course, the registration website was not set up for those of us in the "standby" group and we had to lie when answering two questions to confirm appointments, but no one questioned anything on-site.
We essentially did that just to schedule but made sure we scheduled only when we were eligible. I don't have any problem with how we did it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:39 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:21 am Today was supposed to be the day where the general public could start scheduling. I got up at 2am to beat the rush. None of the websites for locations had been updated to reflect the open phase so I just lied and said I was eligible per the last phase. Not sure what else a guy's gotta do to get poked around here.
When we got our first shot, New York was allowing age 50+ to get vaccinated. They also allowed people age 40+ to sign up for a standby list for surplus shots, so mu wife jumped on that. Two days later, we got emailed that we could make appointments. Of course, the registration website was not set up for those of us in the "standby" group and we had to lie when answering two questions to confirm appointments, but no one questioned anything on-site.
We essentially did that just to schedule but made sure we scheduled only when we were eligible. I don't have any problem with how we did it.
I completely understand the website not being able to keep up with the speed of changing qualifications, along with all the carve-outs for "exceptions". It was just annoying to register truthfully and get denied even though we had been emailed that it was all systems go, then have to figure out how to game the system.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:39 pm
I completely understand the website not being able to keep up with the speed of changing qualifications, along with all the carve-outs for "exceptions". It was just annoying to register truthfully and get denied even though we had been emailed that it was all systems go, then have to figure out how to game the system.
Pretty much how I viewed it. I was legal. Not my fault that the technology couldn't keep up with how quick they were changing the rules for groups.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I nearly made it through this without having to be tested, but that ends this afternoon due to a colonoscopy I have scheduled for Friday. They apparently don't care yet if you've been vaccinated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am I nearly made it through this without having to be tested, but that ends this afternoon due to a colonoscopy I have scheduled for Friday. They apparently don't care yet if you've been vaccinated.
Well, they need to make sure that...
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am I nearly made it through this without having to be tested, but that ends this afternoon due to a colonoscopy I have scheduled for Friday. They apparently don't care yet if you've been vaccinated.
Just ask them to do the Chinese anal swap test while they are already up in there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Never been tested either, but that ends in two weeks before my flight back to Estados Unidos two weeks from Friday.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am
Just ask them to do the Chinese anal swap test while they are already up in there.
Good lord. Don't do the anal swap unless you know whose anus you are getting in return.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm
Good lord. Don't do the anal swap unless you know whose anus you are getting in return.
Ass/Off starring J-Lo and Gwyneth Paltrow.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:50 pm
100% would pony up for the ticket.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:13 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:50 pm
100% would pony up for the ticket.
Hold up a second. I'm a connoisseur of the female posterior. Gwyneth Paltrow has a superior ass, one comparable to J-Lo? When did this happen?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Far be it from me to get into the heads of that illustrious crew, but...

I believe they are saying the swap is spectacularly one-sided and they relish the thought of seeing GP with a badunk-a-dunk.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:08 pm Far be it from me to get into the heads of that illustrious crew, but...

I believe they are saying the swap is spectacularly one-sided and they relish the thought of seeing GP with a badunk-a-dunk.
Yeah, making a riff off the all-time great movie Face/Off. I was trying to think of a skinny actress with no ass, Gwyneth was the first name that popped into my head. Is my reference dated by 20 years? Probably.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:08 pm Far be it from me to get into the heads of that illustrious crew, but...

Yeah, making a riff off the all-time great movie Face/Off. I was trying to think of a skinny actress with no ass, Gwyneth was the first name that popped into my head. Is my reference dated by 20 years? Probably.
I got the reference! It worked!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:18 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:12 pm

I got the reference! It worked!
That confirms I'm 20 years out of touch.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ah... I gotcha now. I was thinking the difference between J-Lo (bubble) compared to Nikki Minaj (shelf) would be an Ass/Off, but I see where you were going now.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This ain't over yet...

Event at a rural Illinois bar led to 46 cases of COVID-19 and school closure in February, CDC says
An event at a rural Illinois bar in February led to an outbreak of 46 cases of COVID-19, a school closure and the hospitalization of a long-term care facility resident, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released Monday.

The indoor event led to cases in 26 patrons, three staff members and 17 other people who did not attend but caught COVID-19 from others linked to the event. A school with 650 children had to close because of the outbreak, the CDC said.

Attendees included a person who had no symptoms but had received a COVID-19 diagnosis the day before, as well as four people who had symptoms but had not yet been diagnosed with COVID-19.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gonna be interesting to see how many cases come out of packing 40000 people together in Arlington the other day.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:35 pm We Hate You Now
Man, that was great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That author is going to hate a whole lot of people, including me and probably a whole lot of her Patreons she thanks in the end. She goes a little too far and probably gives herself too much credit, IMO.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Brother in-law in California: Man, your sister is in a really dark place after your dad's death and we've tried everything to help. Any chance the siblings could come out and help her?

Me: Hold on, let me see if Quinn Norton, whoever the fuck that is, will hate me or not.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:46 pm Brother in-law in California: Man, your sister is in a really dark place after your dad's death and we've tried everything to help. Any chance the siblings could come out and help her?

Me: Hold on, let me see if Quinn Norton, whoever the fuck that is, will hate me or not.
To be somewhat fair, she didn't say if you traveled to see family after the death of a loved one you're a piece of shit. It was pretty clear she was talking about completely non-essential/non-justifiable trips or the people who have continued to insist on going out to dinner three times a week, pandemic be damned.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It was a good piece, but I'm not buying this:
When all the people who worked and sacrificed to slow Covid-19 down encounter all the people who didn’t, it’s going to be a new and vicious split in society, and it’s going to take a generation to heal.
We're just gonna move on with life and all the people who've been going to bars and restaurants and getting on planes for the past 6 months will just keep on doing that without the slightest bit of guilt or shame. That's how Americans do.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think it's somewhere in the middle, and that split has really already occurred.

I have a very short list of folks that I know that completely said "fuck it" and "fuck you" about masks and social distancing. And I think a lot of us have that list already compiled. And, big shocker, there is an almost solid circle Venn diagram with those folks and MAGA idiots.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't agree with 100% of it, and likely have done a bit more than the author has as far as interacting with the community. I also agree with the point Shirley makes in response to the quoted section, in that it won't be a "new and vicious split in society", but still it's definitely infuriating that this has gone on as long as it has because people can't stay the fuck home a little more, wear a mask, etc.

And it's nice to see that rage put to digital paper even if it isn't exactly how I would write it.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I suppose the other point where I differ from the author is that I doubt I'll write off those who behaved differently than I/we did. I'm frayed, frustrated, angry, etc., but in the end I'll likely forgive.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hate to sound like an asshole but in the middle of a worldwide pandemic, there were worldwide protests over the death of George Floyd. Seemingly everyone was outside and protesting. Was there a spike from that?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Well, that was generally near the beginning of COVID, so we didn't know as much as we know now about fomite transmission not really being a thing, and indoors being much worse than outdoors, but IIRC, the BLM and other SJ groups were pretty well masked, and I don't think there were spikes tied to that.

Shit, there was a report that there wasn't a spike from the Super Bowl, (and associated lead up parties, and after parties), but I don't trust much that comes out of the mouth of the FL government.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

it may have gone a little far... but i get it. I really do - I get and I feel that anger. I feel it every time I see some asshole strolling into a store with no mask. When I went to get glasses last year and the guy kept pulling his mask down to talk to me. motherfucker, i can hear you - i'm literally 1 meter in front of you in a closed store, mask the fuck up. It's almost literally the least you can do.

i just had a zoom call with old college roommates last night and admitted that i'm going to have a lot of trouble re-integrating into society over the next few years. probably a little mix of the above and the last 4+ years....the perfect storm of idiocy.

(...although in the end I'll probably just be a total puss about it, shut my mouth and just internally seethe... )
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I absolutely feel like a year of my kids lives was taken from them by people who couldn't "sacrifice" at the same level my family did. How that looks a year from now, who knows, but the general point of the anger and divide is real here.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(Not a year to date, but we'll have an excess year beyond what should have happened by the time we're "normal".)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

boy's track teammate (same training pod) tested positive twice( rapid & PCR) - kid out of school and track practice/meets until the 19th. interestingly enough, no one in the kid's family tested positive, and of course no symptoms. track coach already emailed explaining how the pods are set up and hoping all is well, and if so, get out and run.

boy's quarantining at home -- at least its the new house, so more space to stay away.

soccer club said as soon as he gets a negative test he's allowed back.

We're keeping him home for the weekend so he'll miss the away game vs Union SC(he has a PCR test on Saturday - recommended by the school nurse to wait until then instead of today or tomorrow).

he isn't too big to be sad and asked for hugs. he is in generally good spirits and so far does not have any symptoms. Mrs is a bit freaked out (she also hasn't gotten vaxxed, i'm at least halfway there)
PS - Syb, don't share.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit man, hope he's all good.

I think I know what team he would be playing here in Union (they have two games this weekend). Is the game Sat evening or Sun night?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:21 pm Well, that was generally near the beginning of COVID, so we didn't know as much as we know now about fomite transmission not really being a thing, and indoors being much worse than outdoors, but IIRC, the BLM and other SJ groups were pretty well masked, and I don't think there were spikes tied to that.
When you see media from last summer's protests, the overwhelming majority of people who are not wearing masks are law enforcement and other non-protestors.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:44 pm Shit man, hope he's all good.

I think I know what team he would be playing here in Union (they have two games this weekend). Is the game Sat evening or Sun night?
Union SC Dragons - sat 8am. Was initially scheduled for sunday later afternoon
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:29 pm
rass wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:44 pm Shit man, hope he's all good.

Union SC Dragons - sat 8am. Was initially scheduled for sunday later afternoon
Shit, you're right. They have an 8AM and a 5:30PM game on Saturday, then the 8:30PM on Sunday. Jeez.

Anyway, I know some of the kids on that team and the field is more or less up the street so even though it's moot I hope you were planning on texting me.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

i would have. won't be going though...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.