Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 pm So I'm watching Being There (Peter Sellers, Shirley MacLaine). Where's this freakin movie been all my life?
Chauncey Gardner
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched Nomadland last night, and thought it was really good. Beautifully filmed, and well acted (If Frances MacDormand doesn't get an Oscar for it, I'll be surprised). Sad...but in a uplifting kind of way, if that makes any sense.
[+] spoiler
I was expecting something bad to happen to her...some kind of crime/violence. Glad that it didn't.

It also made me feel even more guilty about ordering shit from Amazon.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Me: The Fast and the Furious franchise remains dumb.

Also me: I think I want to see this in a theater (would be first time since the pandemic started).

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am Me: The Fast and the Furious franchise remains dumb.

Also me: I think I want to see this in a theater (would be first time since the pandemic started).

The thought of going to a theater to sit through 2 hours of that caused anxiety. About the same way I feel when I think about scheduling an appointment for a colonoscopy. I couldn't get through the 3 minute trailer. I saw the first movie and I think the second. I just don't comprehend the appeal.

ETA: That said, if you are going to watch it, it's gotta be on the big screen with surround sound.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am Me: The Fast and the Furious franchise remains dumb.

The thought of going to a theater to sit through 2 hours of that caused anxiety. About the same way I feel when I think about scheduling an appointment for a colonoscopy. I couldn't get through the 3 minute trailer. I saw the first movie and I think the second. I just don't comprehend the appeal.

ETA: That said, if you are going to watch it, it's gotta be on the big screen with surround sound.
Your doctor has trailers for colonoscopies? Shit.

(I got one next week!)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't think I'll be ready for a full theater anytime soon...

The magnet scene feels like a rip of the climactic scene of the otherwise pretty forgettable 6 Underground.

The kids really wanted to watch the series. The youngest bowed out partway through the first one because she got bored with the car BS and told us she would try again when The Rock shows up, but the oldest is super into them. We just made it through Tokyo Drift (which I had never seen in full). Good thing Han was so likeable because the main character was not great?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, maybe I need to try those movies again. I like smash em up movies like the next guy, but those were always so aggressively dumb that I just couldn't suspend my disbelief.

I'm gonna assume that Dom's little brother (the hulking John Cena) was just never mentioned in the previous 8 movies? And not only is he John Cena, but he has his own army? And that never came up before?
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

They've leaned into the dumb. I respect that, entirely. Makes it more fun, frankly.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L Jackson, Salma Hayek (you probably guessed that from the lower right corner of the still), and zero brain required.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am colonoscopies? Shit.
Yep...pretty much...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rocky is on HBO. Last fight. Holy shit this is terrible. Just amateurish.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 pm Rocky is on HBO. Last fight. Holy shit this is terrible. Just amateurish.
I feel like the shocking un-realism of the actual boxing in those movies has made their memory more enduring.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:15 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:58 pm Rocky is on HBO. Last fight. Holy shit this is terrible. Just amateurish.
I feel like the shocking un-realism of the actual boxing in those movies has made their memory more enduring.
The thing I always notice in Rocky is that he lead his punch with the opposite hand. I assume this was done to let him swing hard and judge distance.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm Brian Grubb on Exit Wounds.

(RIP, DMX.)
Currently watching Cradle 2 the Grave for my DMX fix, because the worst I have to deal with is Tom Arnold being like every other character, but with some Jet Li and Gabrielle Union.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Reaper wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 pm
brian wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:05 pm Brian Grubb on Exit Wounds.

(RIP, DMX.)
Currently watching Cradle 2 the Grave for my DMX fix, because the worst I have to deal with is Tom Arnold being like every other character, but with some Jet Li and Gabrielle Union.
I really should've read that whole article before posting. But I stand by my choice as GU > Eva Mendes and no Steven Seagal.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't know anything about this film's plot, but I'm excited for it, just based on the director and cast.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I didn’t watch any movies up for any Oscars this year, so I’m not going to argue the merits of one over another. But it’d be pretty messed up if Citizen Kane won only one its year (Original Screenplay), and the movie about its production, Mank, wins more.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:00 pm I didn’t watch any movies up for any Oscars this year, so I’m not going to argue the merits of one over another. But it’d be pretty messed up if Citizen Kane won only one its year (Original Screenplay), and the movie about its production, Mank, wins more.
The movie industry sure likes to reward movies about the movie industry.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:54 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:00 pm I didn’t watch any movies up for any Oscars this year, so I’m not going to argue the merits of one over another. But it’d be pretty messed up if Citizen Kane won only one its year (Original Screenplay), and the movie about its production, Mank, wins more.
The movie industry sure likes to reward movies about the movie industry.
They fucking love it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nomadland was a worthy Oscar winner and McDormand making history was OK with me. Only wish my guy Steven Yuen would have won. A friend of mine went to HS with him at Troy HS.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:04 pm I don't know anything about this film's plot, but I'm excited for it, just based on the director and cast.

I swore I posted this before, but its based on this book:

about a string of murders/bombings/poisonings among native americans over land/oil rights. Also about the formation of the FBI.

Book was ok...really good at first and then it petered out...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I generally find the lazy journalism style of an oral history to be over done but would like one on this

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting. I love oral histories because you can get a better feel for the teammates/bandmates personalities than you would in a standard longform.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 am Interesting. I love oral histories because you can get a better feel for the teammates/bandmates personalities than you would in a standard longform.
Mr. D, since you are looking at that list of 1970’s albums and you like oral histories, you might like this book. I recently re-read it. (tbh, it focuses as much on the “pre-punk” scene as on punk.)

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:37 am Mr. D, since you... like oral...you might like this...d...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:37 am Mr. D, since you... like oral...you might like this...d...
Well played.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the Tom Hank's 'Greyhound' movie over the last couple of mornings on my wind trainer. It was ok...pretty cool naval battle movie, and remarkably efficient at just about 90 minutes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Finally saw Jojo Rabbit.

Absolutely brilliant.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I hated Tenet. I guess I could read a bunch of articles, maybe draw up a timeline for the plot, then rewatch the movie to appreciate it, but I'd rather say it sucks and move on to another movie.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 pm I hated Tenet. I guess I could read a bunch of articles, maybe draw up a timeline for the plot, then rewatch the movie to appreciate it, but I'd rather say it sucks and move on to another movie.
I’ve tried to like inception for a lot of the same reasons. Haven’t watched tenet yet. But being confusing for confusing sake isn’t always a good thing.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

holy cow that exactly summed up how i felt about it. i felt like the only idiot in the world who supposedly liked this kind of creative science fiction and yet really disliked that movie. or at least felt confused the entire time. (or maybe i just really don't get Leonardo's acting, ever... different topic i guess)
A_B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 pm I’ve tried to like inception for a lot of the same reasons. Haven’t watched tenet yet. But being confusing for confusing sake isn’t always a good thing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

MaxWebster wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:24 pm holy cow that exactly summed up how i felt about it. i felt like the only idiot in the world who supposedly liked this kind of creative science fiction and yet really disliked that movie. or at least felt confused the entire time. (or maybe i just really don't get Leonardo's acting, ever... different topic i guess)
A_B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 pm I’ve tried to like inception for a lot of the same reasons. Haven’t watched tenet yet. But being confusing for confusing sake isn’t always a good thing.
This suddenly seems like a mutual support group...

Sign me up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think Inception is really all that difficult to get, frankly. They explain it over and over again and do everything other than have a little primer in the bottom left of the screen to show what level of the dream that you're in.

That said, I've heard Tenet can be incomprehensible though I haven't seen it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:57 pm I don't think Inception is really all that difficult to get, frankly. They explain it over and over again and do everything other than have a little primer in the bottom left of the screen to show what level of the dream that you're in.

That said, I've heard Tenet can be incomprehensible though I haven't seen it.
I probably get 75 percent but there are just some gaps I fail to get. It’s a neat looking movie and I like the acting I just feel like I’m missing something.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Crip Camp' last night. Very well done documentary.

And my GF basically cried through the whole thing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:41 pm We watched 'Crip Camp' last night. Very well done documentary.

It was good. Total blind spot for me, and I can understand your GF reaction given her experience. And for any parent with a kid with a 504 plan that documentary shows you why they exist.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:41 pm We watched 'Crip Camp' last night. Very well done documentary.

It was good. Total blind spot for me, and I can understand your GF reaction given her experience. And for any parent with a kid with a 504 plan that documentary shows you why they exist.
Yeah, my wife had me watch that and she was right - it was very good and interesting. And as we've discussed elsewhere, not only does this battle continue, but it can be especially difficult for kids (and adults, I guess) with less visible disabilities, like autism.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm
A_B wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 pm

Yeah, my wife had me watch that and she was right - it was very good and interesting. And as we've discussed elsewhere, not only does this battle continue, but it can be especially difficult for kids (and adults, I guess) with less visible disabilities, like autism.
That was my GF's reaction: "Where is the camp like that for kids like Kelsey? Where were the autistic kids, and the kids with Downs Syndrome?".

Our other reaction: How was that camp licensed? Were those counselors at all qualified to be working with those kids? It was great they were there...but did they get any training?

And then, my GF asked: "ok...it said they had to close the camp because of financial issues...but was that really what happened? Was there some kind of abuse going on and that's why they had to close?"
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A future Thursday night watch contestant?