Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

I've watched the first two episodes this week while riding my wind trainer, and thought it was decent, but I'm just wondering if its worth getting invested in it.
Did both seasons. It is okay. Not very Tom Clancy but who cares. Just a decent action series. 3 to 3.5 stars
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:53 pm Has anyone watched the 'Jack Ryan' series on Amazon?

Did both seasons. It is okay. Not very Tom Clancy but who cares. Just a decent action series. 3 to 3.5 stars
I concur.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:39 am I can't make the leap to Jim Halpert as an action guy.
Not sure I am buying Michael B. Jordan as John Clark in Without Remorse coming later this month.
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also the character of Jack Ryan is not supposed to be an action guy. He is an injured Marine, analyst who taught at the Naval Academy. Baldwin and Ford were good matches to the books. Affleck was okay and Pine was not the right person. Pine and Krasinski fit Jack Ryan Jr as a character (written as collaborations with Clancy and then by a few other authors who are carrying on the Ryan verse)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm
Willem Dafoe is probably still ripped. I understand wanting to make the Clancy-verse more diverse, but I think Dafoe still could have pulled it off.
The Rainbow Six platforms is a great opportunity for diversity. Dafoe would be great as Clark. He could play younger Clark and very easily play older Clark (who is a key character in later books)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 am

Thanks...I'll keep going with it. I do like watching hour long shows when I'm on the trainer, and you can tell they spent a lot of money making the show, so at least it looks good.

And I like seeing Wendell Pierce in anything.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm
I think he had some scenes in the lighthouse with his shirt off. Not ripped per se but still sinewy for and older dude. Not out of shape at all.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I thought the first season of Jack Ryan was pretty well done but I also petered out and didn't make it to the finale.

I do remember thinking that there was a surprising amount of T&A for these woke times.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am I do remember thinking that there was a surprising amount of T&A for these woke times.
I watched the episode this morning where he hooks up with the Doctor (who turns into his wife in the books) and I was surprised as well.

And...a doctor...who doesn't notice he's got a bandaged up stab wound?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:54 am Ted Lasso was really, really good.

BSF, you got Dropbox? I can upload it for you.
It is the rare "you must see this" chorus that holds up.
It's a perfect show. Loved it so much, can't wait to watch again.

Ted Lasso
Catastrophe
Terriers
I'm Sorry
Derry Girls
Better Things
Atlanta

All so great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Have you tried Breeders?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am Have you tried Breeders?
No, but thanks for the recommendation.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am pretty confident you will like it based on your liking Catastrophe. It is very very good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Second the recommendation of Breeders. Kind of a quirky family dramedy. Martin Freeman is always good.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm Second the recommendation of Breeders. Kind of a quirky family dramedy. Martin Freeman is always good.
Lot of heft to it, too. Catches you off-guard at first. Love the casting. The actress playing his wife is fantastic. And his character dealing with anger issues in general with his parenting is something that feels very fresh in this kind of show.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone else watch You're the Worst?, was on FX a couple years ago. I'd forgotten about it in the myriad of other shows, but watching the last two seasons now and enjoying it.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally circled back and finished Man in the High Castle. Loved the first two seasons when they came out, then for some reason waited until now to start season 3. Quickly remembered it was the weird Sci Fi aspect that turned me off a bit. The alternative history with the US losing WWII and the Germans controlling the Eastern US and Japan controlling the West was incredibly well done. The details were astounding, down to Mercedes all over NYC and Japanese cars in SF... I loved the politics, the resistance movements, but
[+] spoiler
the traveling between parallel universes was annoying at first.
I almost stopped watching an episode or two into season 3 because I had forgotten so much and it really went deep into the SciFi stuff, but I read an episode guide for the first 2 seasons to remind me, and I really got into it. Such an incredible show. The way it jumped between all the characters and sort of tied a lot of them together was really cool. The final scene was just stupid, but I'll let that go.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Peyton continuing to out perform Aaron Rodgers. Gets picked up to host a game show. Okay not Jeopardy, but full time gig, not guest host.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:37 pm Anyone else watch You're the Worst?, was on FX a couple years ago. I'd forgotten about it in the myriad of other shows, but watching the last two seasons now and enjoying it.
Yes. I think we kind of faded away from it in the later seasons, though.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:37 pm Anyone else watch You're the Worst?, was on FX a couple years ago. I'd forgotten about it in the myriad of other shows, but watching the last two seasons now and enjoying it.
I watched the first season, and enjoyed it, but then it started to wear on me. I really didn't like some of the side characters (Paul and LIndsay), and the Edgar character was just too David Schwimmer-y for me (I have enjoyed when the actor show's up on 'Doug Loves Movies' though).

I did think they handled the Gretchen/Depression storyline really well.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

First mention of Falcon and Winter Soldier? Sure it breaks my Elizabeth Olsen rule, but it's getting good despite what I find to be subpar dialogue even for the MCU. The actors are making it work.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I thought it was a politically correct remake of The Falcon and The Snowman.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Anybody watching the Ken Burns Hemingway miniseries?

I’ve seen two episodes and I’m liking it. The man certainly lived a life.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm First mention of Falcon and Winter Soldier? Sure it breaks my Elizabeth Olsen rule, but it's getting good despite what I find to be subpar dialogue even for the MCU. The actors are making it work.
Definitely not as out there as WV, and definitely carried at times by the charms of the two leads (and their primary companion the past couple of episodes), and definitely look forward to it each week. Much like later seasons of Cobra Kai, I do feel like the writers are working under an imposed "shit" quota.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am
Ryan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm First mention of Falcon and Winter Soldier? Sure it breaks my Elizabeth Olsen rule, but it's getting good despite what I find to be subpar dialogue even for the MCU. The actors are making it work.
Definitely not as out there as WV, and definitely carried at times by the charms of the two leads (and their primary companion the past couple of episodes), and definitely look forward to it each week. Much like later seasons of Cobra Kai, I do feel like the writers are working under an imposed "shit" quota.
They had to change a bunch of the storyline and script because it was going to be based on a world wide virus and the FlagSmashers were fighting for the cure. Most of that has been cut with only the death and the heist of a vaccine. Still really good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:30 pm
I watched the first season, and enjoyed it, but then it started to wear on me. I really didn't like some of the side characters (Paul and LIndsay), and the Edgar character was just too David Schwimmer-y for me (I have enjoyed when the actor show's up on 'Doug Loves Movies' though).

I did think they handled the Gretchen/Depression storyline really well.
Paul drops out thankfully. I can't remember when as I watched like 4-5 years ago. I'm not that big of a fan of Lindsay still, though I am a fan of her rack) Edgar comes out of his shell. I probably like him the most of any character now.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Frank of Ireland on Prime. 19 min through the first episode and you all need to get on this shit, stat. Deviously hilarious.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
He got better with each episode. He barked "No" a couple of times which was hilarious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am ON THE RECORD TAKE: Aaron Rodgers should be the permanent host of Jeopardy
He got better with each episode. He barked "No" a couple of times which was hilarious.
I don’t think Aaron Rogers was necessary better than the other guest hosts. But, he certainly did a credible, decent job of it. Credit where credit is due
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So, I am genuinely enjoying Falcon and Winter Soldier.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:53 pm So, I am genuinely enjoying Falcon and Winter Soldier.
Me too. Not as good as Wanda Vision, but worth the hour each week.

On the other hand I have also watched the new Mighty Ducks thing because I use my time wisely.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I'm joining the LeVar Burton groundswell
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Reaper wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 pm
Has he even hosted it yet?

Nothing wrong with Ken Jennings
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am

I don't think Jennings wantsthe permanent gig. Maybe it's me echo chambering, but I've read many an article laying out his qualifications to be host and I can't find fault in any of them. Maybe it's nostalgia from growing up with Reading Rainbow. Maybe I think a black man other than Steve Harvey should host a game show. Whatever it is, I'm on that train.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Reaper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 am

I don't think Jennings wantsthe permanent gig. Maybe it's me echo chambering, but I've read many an article laying out his qualifications to be host and I can't find fault in any of them. Maybe it's nostalgia from growing up with Reading Rainbow. Maybe I think a black man other than Steve Harvey should host a game show. Whatever it is, I'm on that train.
May i introduce you to Catch 21?

(But 3 wouldn't be a bad thing, either.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 am
Reaper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:47 am

May i introduce you to Catch 21?

(But 3 wouldn't be a bad thing, either.)
And D-Wade is going to be hosting a new game show on TBS/TNT called The Cube.

But I also throw my hat in for LeVar Burton. I just want him to wear Geordi's visor.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."