Harold Ramis

Post by rass »

Dammit.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Re: Harold Ramis

Post by brian »

Yeah, damn. A comedy genius (and I try not to throw that word around lightly.) if for Groundhog Day alone.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I had no idea he was ill. Or 69.

Shit.
mini puke to 1,558
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Besides Groundhog Day, he was also director/writer on Caddyshack. I loved him in Stripes and Ghostbusters. He was one of the main writers of National Lampoon's Vacation and SCTV. Awesome resume, in my book.
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That fucking sucks. He was awesome.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

Man that sucks. Too fucking young. I still remember him getting his ass kicked in Wisconsin.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Elizabeth Angell ‏@ElizabethAngell 46m

Signs you're a genius: Stripes is the 6th funniest movie you made.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Tim Minchin is writing a broadway musical for Groundhog Day.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Guessing this finally ends Ghostbusters 3 talk.

Touched some solid funny movies--
Back to School
Armed and Dangerous
Meatballs
Walk Hard
Airhead
National Lampoon's Vacation (uncredited)
Director 4 episodes of "The Office"
Caddyshak

random trivaiOnce a mental ward orderly before finding work as a joke writer for Playboy magazine.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

For many years, by multiple individuals in various groups, somebody would inevitably call me Egon, commenting that I looked like him. I never liked it. I'm not exactly sure why; whether I disliked the name itself, I thought of Egon as ugly, or I just didn't see the resemblance, I don't know. I just didn't like it. After really examining his full body of work, and his genius, I'll take all future remarks as a compliment.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote:For many years, by multiple individuals in various groups, somebody would inevitably call me Egon, commenting that I looked like him. I never liked it. I'm not exactly sure why; whether I disliked the name itself, I thought of Egon as ugly, or I just didn't see the resemblance, I don't know. I just didn't like it. After really examining his full body of work, and his genius, I'll take all future remarks as a compliment.

Welcome back, Egon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

howard wrote:Elizabeth Angell ‏@ElizabethAngell 46m

Signs you're a genius: Stripes is the 6th funniest movie you made.
That's almost heresy, but looking at his list ... it's possible. What do you think are the top 5?

I'd rank his best movies in this order:
Caddyshack
Groundhog Day
Animal House
Stripes
Ghostbusters
Vacation
Back to School

BTW, Ramis was a fellow Wash U alum. He was a ZBT and of course, lots of people claim the Animal House stories were built on his experiences there. From the ZBT that was there when I went to school ... uh no.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Had no idea he was ill either. He has to be one of the most underrated comedy writer/director/actor of our lifetime so it's nice to see all of the love he is getting.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I had no idea who he was. I saw his name without any context on Sunday and was lost.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Brontoburglar wrote:I had no idea who he was. I saw his name without any context on Sunday and was lost.
Fucking kids these days.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I had no idea who he was. I saw his name without any context on Sunday and was lost.
Fucking kids these days.
I think this is more an indictment of the Swamp than Bronto himself. He came here as a blank slate and we failed him.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Jerloma wrote:Tim Minchin is writing a broadway musical for Groundhog Day.
Odds on I Got You Babe being among the first couple of songs?

Okay, campers, rise and shine and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the best/most fascinating thing about Groundhog Day is that it's a rare comedy where you can really use it as a canvas for a lot of really philosophical ideas. I'm usually not a fan of audio commentaries on DVDs but the Groundhog Day one is mesmerizing at times, when they discuss how long Bill Murray's character actually spent living out the same day.

The script actually implied that he spent hundreds or even thousands of years living out the same day and the movie wisely doesn't reference that instead leaving you to guess that for yourself, but then you start asking yourself the question -- essentially tasked for living the same day for eternity (because after a few years you'd have to assume that's the case), how would you react? Phil Connors obviously kind of goes through the Kubler-Ross stages in the movie, but it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down. The original screenplay (or versions of it at least) also hinted at some really dark, dark stuff that his character does at times because in a world without consequences that would also be a possible reaction for some of us. It's an incredible movie.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Just learning to play the piano that well would have taken a long time!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:I think the best/most fascinating thing about Groundhog Day is that it's a rare comedy where you can really use it as a canvas for a lot of really philosophical ideas. I'm usually not a fan of audio commentaries on DVDs but the Groundhog Day one is mesmerizing at times, when they discuss how long Bill Murray's character actually spent living out the same day.

The script actually implied that he spent hundreds or even thousands of years living out the same day and the movie wisely doesn't reference that instead leaving you to guess that for yourself, but then you start asking yourself the question -- essentially tasked for living the same day for eternity (because after a few years you'd have to assume that's the case), how would you react? Phil Connors obviously kind of goes through the Kubler-Ross stages in the movie, but it's an interesting rabbit hole to go down. The original screenplay (or versions of it at least) also hinted at some really dark, dark stuff that his character does at times because in a world without consequences that would also be a possible reaction for some of us. It's an incredible movie.
Interesting. The problem for me is that with only one day, would you have time to prepare the hooker's skin so you could wear it?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:I think the best/most fascinating thing about Groundhog Day is that it's a rare comedy where you can really use it as a canvas for a lot of really philosophical ideas. I'm usually not a fan of audio commentaries on DVDs but the Groundhog Day one is mesmerizing at times, when they discuss how long Bill Murray's character actually spent living out the same day.

Interesting. The problem for me is that with only one day, would you have time to prepare the hooker's skin so you could wear it?
Yeah, because it's damn near a perfect movie, it wisely winks at those options (bedding the woman he meets in the coffee shop, robbing the armored car), but of course since it's Bill Murray it's all for laughs. But you can start to go in darker directions very easily.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I visited the town where Groundhog Day was filmed about, oh, 12 years ago or so. Can't remember the name. It's just outside of Chicagoland. Funny thing is that the town didn't need much set decoration; it looks pretty much just what it looked like in the film. There was at least one shop that sold strictly Groundhog Day memorabilia knickknacks. The rest of the town was pretty much evenly divided between milking that film for what they could and clinging to the image (oddly like living the same day over and over) and the other half that wanted to move on and stop living in that moment (also oddly like the film).
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Scottie wrote:I visited the town where Groundhog Day was filmed about, oh, 12 years ago or so. Can't remember the name. It's just outside of Chicagoland. Funny thing is that the town didn't need much set decoration; it looks pretty much just what it looked like in the film. There was at least one shop that sold strictly Groundhog Day memorabilia knickknacks. The rest of the town was pretty much evenly divided between milking that film for what they could and clinging to the image (oddly like living the same day over and over) and the other half that wanted to move on and stop living in that moment (also oddly like the film).
I hope they preserved the pothole.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Scottie wrote:I visited the town where Groundhog Day was filmed about, oh, 12 years ago or so. Can't remember the name. It's just outside of Chicagoland. Funny thing is that the town didn't need much set decoration; it looks pretty much just what it looked like in the film. There was at least one shop that sold strictly Groundhog Day memorabilia knickknacks. The rest of the town was pretty much evenly divided between milking that film for what they could and clinging to the image (oddly like living the same day over and over) and the other half that wanted to move on and stop living in that moment (also oddly like the film).
Woodstock, IL.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I wonder what percentage of US Americans appreciate the greatness of Groundhogs Day. While I loved that movie on so many levels, as I am sure most of you do, I would guess the majority of people don't like it. I'd start a thread of great movies most people hate, but it's bed time.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I actually can't recall meeting someone who didn't like the movie. Not that it comes up all that often lately, but I remember it being loved in the 90s.

RIP
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto