Swamp Tour Guide: Vancouver

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Swamp Tour Guide: Vancouver

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Going there for work for the second time (2002 was a long time ago) from Tue, Feb 25 to Mon, Mar 2 and staying at the Fairmont Waterfront. Any tips are appreciated, particularly in the realm of restaurants and bars.
“The running, the jumping... a celebration of life.”
Scottie
Donny

Re: Swamp Tour Guide: Vancouver

Post by Scottie »

Just to ask what you meant, Sunday is the 2nd, Monday is the 3rd. Anyhoooo . . . reason I mention that is because on Saturday night, the 1st, the number-one ranked Junior team in North America is in town to play the Vancouver Giants if you're interested.

This will give you an idea what sort of tix/seats you'd be looking at.

WHL site

I'll send an email to MaxWebster to see what he's up to if you want to try getting the three of us together? Let me know if you want/need my phone number in case you need anything. I'll be around for most of that week if you'd like a tour guide and/or chauffeur. I do have a couple of A-League curling games that I can't miss (you're certainly welcome to come to the club, it's a great one) and I may have a couple of on-site work stretches during that week and they won't be in town (or near it). But definitely a fair bit of free time.

Fairmont is a great hotel; one of the nicest (and most expensive) in town. If you have a rental car, great, you can park at the hotel. Otherwise there is NO SUCH THING as parking in that area.

You're walking distance to some tremendous restaurants. A number of good Asian places in that vicinity (Vietnamese, Thai). You're not overly far from from the Shark Club, where Max and I and Mr Hotcakes went a couple of times. And That French Guy, too, when he was here. And Bob Andrechuk and I went there a number of times; decent food/beer and lots of sport on big screens.

It's been cold lately. If you're going to be outside, particularly in the evenings, you'll need a more than a windbreaker and golf shirt. Bring a sweater.

Weather forecast
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Scottie wrote:Just to ask what you meant, Sunday is the 2nd, Monday is the 3rd.
Exchange rates.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

I kinda assumed that the Metric clock fucked everything up.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Monday the 3rd. Guh.

I am amenable to getting together. The one thing that concerns me is that my work days vary in their end time, so I am leery of committing to a firm time more than a day or two in advance. I can say that the day of my arrival (25th) is the best chance for me to be social, as I would simply need to catch up on emails and any other things that happened in transit. That said, barring flight delays, I should be settled at the hotel by 4pm on Tuesday.

Let me know what you think.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Just a heads up . . . over the last 24-hours or so at least a foot (maybe two) of snow has fallen here. Very unusual. Very sloppy. It makes for messing driving and walking. Snow rarely stays long in this vicinity but it is something you may wish to keep an eye on (and perhaps consider bringing appropriate footwear).
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Looking out behind the house . . .

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

And just when the two feet of accumulation we have at home is finally going away. Thanks for the heads up.

If you want to get together, best way to reach me is email, which is screen name here through a mail service provided by google.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

By the way, it is STILL snowing here; it has not stopped even for a moment since I mentioned it yesterday. There is a lot down on the ground right now even though it is 37F.

There is also a snowfall warning in effect.

At least this guy is into it . . .

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yeah, I checked the forecast earlier today, said an additional 2-6" in your neck of the woods, but it also did have the temps threatening to reach 50 degrees by the end of the week.

I think you just need to get a sled and a harness to open an additional income stream.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Scottie wrote:By the way, it is STILL snowing here; it has not stopped even for a moment since I mentioned it yesterday. There is a lot down on the ground right now even though it is 37F.

There is also a snowfall warning in effect.

At least this guy is into it . . .

That looks like a painting.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

If it was a painting there would be hieroglyphics around the border and a pyramid somewhere in the image.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?