Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

teeteebee wrote:Think we are seeing Lego Movie tomorrow. My 6 year older is excited to see it. And I am too.
Really enjoyed The Lego Movie. Will Arnett as Batman was inspired, Chris Pratt is on his way to being a capital M movie star.

Brief tangent...we are getting our basement remodeled, with work starting tomorrow. We've spent the last week cleaning everything out except the furniture, which would be a pain to get upstairs and the contractor offered to work around. In order to make as much room as possible today, I moved everything to one side of he room and stacked the couches.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote:
Sabo wrote:Watched Das Boot for the first time the other night. Holy crap, what a great film. That movie should've won the Oscar for best cinematography for all the shots inside the sub. It does a great job of showing how claustrophobic submarines can be.

I also wasn't expecting that ending. Such is war, I guess.
regular movie or director's cut?
Regular. I recorded it from HDNet Movies a while ago.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Amazing that there is an almost 5 hour version. I'd have to rewatch the original (haven't seen it since the 90s) to compare, I'm sure where the extra 50 minutes in the directors cut come from.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Apparently, religious nuts are convinced that Frozen is pushing a Gay Agenda by trying to brainwash kids that homosexuality is normal and acceptable. I'd link to the blog I was pointed to, but it took the woman 30,000 words to get to the point. Once she did, she blathered on fo another 20,000 words. The gist is that Elsa (the sister with the uncontrolled power to turn everything into snow or ice) and her secret power represent being gay. Her shame had to be hidden from the outside world, even her sister who could be mortally wounded by the secret. That was the only argument out 40 that remotely made any sense. I read the comments, and overwhelmingly, everyone else saw the same thing. Granted it is a Mormon blog, but holy fuck, these people must be insanely focused on homosexuality to even think this. Also funny, while she was so disturbed by the thought of taking children to be indoctrinated into evil, she admitted to bringing all 3 sets of grandchildren to the movie on separate occasions.

Anyone else who's seen the movie remotely see the point in this argument?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:Anyone else who's seen the movie remotely see the point in this argument?
Don't get me started on Sven...

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Wasn't there the same argument when one of the penguin movies came out?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Anyone else who's seen the movie remotely see the point in this argument?
Don't get me started on Sven...

I saw one sarcastic comment that Olaf the talking snowman was clearly gay, as he was impaled by his carrot nose on several occasions. A snowman taking a carrot to the face is clearly a symbol.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

First trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy and it looks awesome.

A few big transformations. Chris Pratt is jacked and my girlfriend Amy Pond, dear lord...

ImageImageImage
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:....Chris Pratt is on his way to being a capital M movie star.

Told you!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:First trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy and it looks awesome.

A few big transformations. Chris Pratt is jacked and my girlfriend Amy Pond, dear lord...
Wow, she looks just like your older daughter!
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:First trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy and it looks awesome.

Wow, she looks just like your older daughter!
Your daughter looks just like your wife!
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
Your daughter looks just like your wife!
Actually she looks exactly like me. Sometimes it's scary when I look at her and see myself at that age. Like one friend said, "now I know what you look like with long hair and a dress." And Maine's crush on that Disney Channel girl is weird. Of all the Disney girls, she doesn't make the Top 20 for Countdown to 18.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Really enjoyed The Lego Movie. Batman had some great lines.

And my girlfriend figured out what the "Piece of Resistance" was way quicker then I did.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gravity was good. Would definitely have been better on the big screen, though. Should win a bunch of technical awards. Wasn't blown away by Bullock, but definitely solid.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Was this posted anywhere? Louis CK is so awesome.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Dang. I forgot about this. I had a bit part in this movie, strictly cutting room floor scenes (they would have been in the 1:22:00 legion bar scene, not that it matters). Robert Frank was pretty cool to be around. My best buddy split a two-four of Keiths with Kevin O'Connor while the cast had to sit around because the crew accidentally destroyed some rushes and had to redress the set and wait for evening so it could all be reshot. That whole part was filmed in Cape Breton, most of the film is. There was phenomenal amounts of alcohol on the set, right from the 7:00 AM start times.

It's a pretty cool film, certainly a rare one. It is low budget and has an odd quirky flow to it. The protagonist has to "go to the end of the world" (which turns out to be Cape Breton, literally as far as you can drive eastward in North America) to find a legendary guitar maker. It is a huge downward spiral. You can see that in the quality of cars he drives; they get worse and worse. At one point he crashes into a boat; only in Cape Breton. I love the "send a message to Elmore Silk" scene where the dysfunctional couple inadvertently records their domestic violence; that's their message.

IMDB entry It's a tremendous cast.

I got put in prison for two days because I drove my car into a boat. I've got no money. No car. I've got to go off and make the biggest deal of my life and I'm here with you and I'm jacking a dear and . . . I don't even know what that means.

Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I went to see Philomena with my Mom and aunt today and it was outstanding. Got a little dusty in there I'm not ashamed to admit. I didn't realize that Coogan wrote (or partnered on) the screenplay; great job all around by him. And of course Dench was kickass as usual.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This is fantastic. I can't even imagine the work that must have gone into this. I'm sure I didn't catch more than about 20% of the images in this. You'll want to watch it again.

Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched prisoners the other day. Gyllenhall was fantastic. Movie was solid, but Gyllenhall gave a great performance, so much so that I think he got overlooked for oscars.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

From just the movies i have seen(American huslte, 12 yeaers, her, gravity, captain phillips) here are my picks

Sup actress: Lawrence(better than the girl from 12 years)
Sup Actor: Cooper(better than fassbender)
Actor: Ejiofer(by a hair over Matthew)
Actress: Adams(just phenomenal)
Picture: 12 years
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

all technicals to gravity.

director...fuck if i know. let's go cuaron.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Based upon not seeing any of the pictures.

Actor: McConaughey
Actress: Blanchett
Sup Actor: Fassbender
Sup Actress: Nyongo
Director: Cuaron

Film: 12 Years a Slave
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm looking forward to this (and Andre does a good Jimi.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

25 years and 1 day ago
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I've watched the first half of Man of Steel. Good lord what ham-fisted screenwriting. Did they really think we needed 45 minutes of Russel Crowe explaining why Superman is Superman? I could see 10 minutes of that, then 30 minutes of him doing shit incognito instead. Not optimistic that the second half will redeem anything.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The new Captain America movie was really good, and surprisingly political (and relevant).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AB_skin_test wrote:I've watched the first half of Man of Steel. Good lord what ham-fisted screenwriting. Did they really think we needed 45 minutes of Russel Crowe explaining why Superman is Superman? I could see 10 minutes of that, then 30 minutes of him doing shit incognito instead. Not optimistic that the second half will redeem anything.
I was going to throw a spoiler out there... will wait till you sit through the 2nd half before I chime in.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw the new Wes Anderson "Grand Budapest Hotel" the other night. Liked it quite a bit. If you like Wes Anderson's stuff (and I'll admit, he's got a style all his own), you'll enjoy it. Ralph Fiennes was great.

One interesting trailer: The James Brown BioPic "Get On Up". My girlfriend turned to me and said "That could either be great....or really really awful".

And if you enjoy reviews of bad movies as much as I do.....Slate's review of "Draft Day" is a must read.
When you finish seeing a movie like Draft Day—the NFL’s current foray into what might be called failed experimental cinema—you ask yourself a lot of questions, most of which start with why. Why did I just watch this? Why did people think to make this, and why didn’t other people stop them? Draft Day is one of the dumbest movies about sports ever made because it’s one of the dumbest ideas for a movie about sports that anyone has ever had, a fictional film about pro football that isn’t even actually about football. And yet it’s a movie in in which National Football League commissioner and designated shield-protector Roger Goodell appears on screen, as himself, several times; he’s even memorized lines. Why did the NFL—America’s most obsessively messaged and image-conscious sports league—allow this catastrophe to happen?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So apparently the new "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is a sequel to "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." Isn't something supposed to dawn before it rises?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: And if you enjoy reviews of bad movies as much as I do.....Slate's review of "Draft Day" is a must read.
When you finish seeing a movie like Draft Day—the NFL’s current foray into what might be called failed experimental cinema—you ask yourself a lot of questions, most of which start with why. Why did I just watch this? Why did people think to make this, and why didn’t other people stop them? Draft Day is one of the dumbest movies about sports ever made because it’s one of the dumbest ideas for a movie about sports that anyone has ever had, a fictional film about pro football that isn’t even actually about football. And yet it’s a movie in in which National Football League commissioner and designated shield-protector Roger Goodell appears on screen, as himself, several times; he’s even memorized lines. Why did the NFL—America’s most obsessively messaged and image-conscious sports league—allow this catastrophe to happen?
Maybe they thought it would be the football equivalent of Moneyball?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Veronica Mars - Felt very much like a two hour long episode of the show, or perhaps 1/2 a season condensed into two hours. Really nothing wrong with that. If you watched the show, I would recommend a refresher course because there are a lot of callbacks, both as actual plot points and wink-winks to the audience. I hope they get the opportunity to do this again.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - This is very much what you'd expect, too. Probably second to The Avengers if I had to rank the official Marvel movies. Definitely shakes things up in the Marvel movie world they've been building since Iron Man.

Also, this:
Reddit AMA: I think we would all like to know: Who shot first? Han Solo or Greedo?

Harrison Ford: I don't know and I don't care.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Has anyone been so disdainful of the things that made them famous, while still remaining beloved, as Harrison Ford? He's like the equivalent of Paul McCartney saying "fuck that shit" whenever someone asks him about the Beatles, then trying to steer the conversation back to his new solo album that no one will remember in six months.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He also said this:

"Someone said thank you for being a part of so many childhood films: Well, thank you. I really appreciate that. It's a privilege to be able to be involved with people as talented as the people I've had the luck to work with, and it's just been a great experience for me, and I'm glad that so many of the films I've had the luck to do were films that could be enjoyed by families together. "

Solid AMA, IMO. Not nearly as grumpy as you'd expect.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And always a good place for this!

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm old time Western fan, so it didn't make sense that I'd never seen She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Watched it last night, and I have to say that it's really lame. At times it feels as if scenes from different movies had been spliced together and the saccharine sweet ending was barely interesting enough to keep me awake. The climax of the film was almost non-existent as well. But I will say that John Wayne was excellent.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

25 years ago

Kinsella writing about the movie
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10797 ... eld-dreams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Now You See Me just may have had the most ridiculous ending of any movie in recent memory.

The last twenty minutes completely destroyed the fun of the first 80 or so.

Just wow.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:Anchorman 2 is not good at all.
Oh man, you're not kidding.

Laughed a couple of times, but not once in the last 45 minutes. Watched with a growing sense of irritation and a feeling that they spent more time developing the promotional campaign than they did writing a script.

Will Ferrell is dead to me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So the first official picture of the Batffleck has been released. I think I like it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Spoiler alert: Godzilla's a dick.