The Dude

Re: Winter Reading Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Double shot of South Florida Zanny from the library

Have about 10 pages left in this

and then onto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Got Lets Talk About Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris on the iPhone, plus downloaded Stiff for my road trip next week.

Also got back into The Twelve, by Justin Cronin. It started poorly but has picked up. Really does have the feel of someone who was told to stretch the story into a trilogy instead of letting it occur organically, but the middle third has beeb much better than the first third.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Loved Stiff. The best of Mary Roach's books that I've read.

WLU, let me know what you think of the Hiaasen book. I used to love his work, but haven't read one in a long time. He creates the best characters and some really odd stories.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:Loved Stiff. The best of Mary Roach's books that I've read.

WLU, let me know what you think of the Hiaasen book. I used to love his work, but haven't read one in a long time. He creates the best characters and some really odd stories.
Have you read Dorsey? May have been WLU that recommended him to me, but one of the quotes about him was something like "Elmore Leonard on meth, Carl Hiaasen on some other drug". I love 'em both.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Loved Stiff. The best of Mary Roach's books that I've read.

Have you read Dorsey? May have been WLU that recommended him to me, but one of the quotes about him was something like "Elmore Leonard on meth, Carl Hiaasen on some other drug". I love 'em both.
I'm in! Never read him before, but with that kind of description, sounds right up my alley. Thanks.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Dorsey is very solid. I would read them in order. The early stuff is so strange and fast.
http://www.timdorsey.com/chronology.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
San Diego Union-Tribune wrote:Tim Dorsey is Carl Hiaasen on meth, Elmore Leonard on acid, Dave Barry on Drano.
This was the review that got me hooked
Chicago Tribune wrote:Some of the most wacky villains and situations since Hiaasen stuck a plastic alligator down a stranger’s throat and called it Tourist Season.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Dave Barry on Drano probably still would not be funny. (But worth a try.)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I finally read this after loaning it to my Mom to read after I bought it:

It was great; much better than her last effort The Little Friend.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:I finally read this after loaning it to my Mom to read after I bought it:

Have you read Secret History? My friend just made that his can't miss recommendation. He has been solid so far, so I have it in my queue.
-Pruitt
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The Sybian wrote:
Bensell wrote:I finally read this after loaning it to my Mom to read after I bought it:

Have you read Secret History? My friend just made that his can't miss recommendation. He has been solid so far, so I have it in my queue.
Secret History is one of my all-time favorite novels. If I had to rank books I've read it would easily make the top 2 or 3.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Secret History is one of my all-time favorite novels. If I had to rank books I've read it would easily make the top 2 or 3.
Sweet. I thought I remembered people or person recommending it here. Just 36 more people in line in front of me!

I'm giving up on Stephen Hawking's book. I'm finding I'm just not that interested in quantum physics. When he got into some concept of firing buckyballs through two slits he lost me. I feel like quantum physics is more like philosophy than science.

Moving on to McCullogh's biography of Truman. Heard good things, and been sitting on it for way too long.

-Pruitt
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

I'm in the Epilogue of The Death of a President and I'm truly sad to be finished with it, such a brilliant read. The next Amazon order has:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Already started The Boys of '67 on my Kindle. My dad's 1st cousin is featured in it, as the conscientious objector who served as a medic in Charlie Company, so very interesting from that perspective.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Haven't finished a book in a while.

But I just tore through this one - Image

The older I get, the more I realize that I should just stick to certain types of books. Like this one - bitter, dark and really, really funny. Set in the present day, neurotic guy buys a farmhouse in a gentrifying rural town near the city. Finds out that Anne Frank is living in his attic.

A few laugh out loud scenes, and well worth a read.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote:WLU, let me know what you think of the Hiaasen book. I used to love his work, but haven't read one in a long time. He creates the best characters and some really odd stories.
The Hiaasen book is a collection of his op eds. More like his book Team Rodent than his fiction works.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

The first 50 or so pages of this have been very good:

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I loved Gone Girl so I will defintiely be intersted in her other efforts.

Finished Stiff...that was a solid listen.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

AB_skin_test wrote:I loved Gone Girl so I will defintiely be intersted in her other efforts.

Gone Girl was fantastic. I'm halfway through Sharp Objects now and will probably finish it tonight; well worth the read unless the book falls apart the last 100 pages or so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What do y'all think about the casting for the Gone Girl movie?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I havent seen casting but it was such a great book it will be hard to live up to
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

AB_skin_test wrote:I havent seen casting but it was such a great book it will be hard to live up to
I don't know much about Rosamund Pike, and Ben Affleck can be really hit or miss, but anything with Neil Patrick Harris can't be all bad.

Sharp Objects was really good but not as near as good as Gone Girl. I have her other book, Dark Matters, on my wait list now.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Bensell wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I havent seen casting but it was such a great book it will be hard to live up to
I don't know much about Rosamund Pike, and Ben Affleck can be really hit or miss, but anything with Neil Patrick Harris can't be all bad.

Sharp Objects was really good but not as near as good as Gone Girl. I have her other book, Dark Matters, on my wait list now.
Yup, I'm very much looking forward to NPH. I pictured the husband much younger than Affleck, but I'm no hater and am interested to see how he does. I like me some Rosamund, so I like that casting.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shakespeare bio by Bill Bryson. Already learned quite a bit that I was unaware of.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I grabbed four books from a friend's bookshelf a few weeks ago and halfway through them.

The Plague - Albert Camus
The Information - Martin Amis (awful, awful book, stayed up late during the Rockets blowout last night to be done with it)

Hoping to start/finish by end of weekend:

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh - Michael Chabon
Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller

Then Dave Eggers' The Circle before I move on to more non-fiction in March.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just finished An Unfortunate Woman by Richard Brautigan.

A memoir/novel set in diary entries. I tells the story of a woman that is suffering from cancer and her friend that committed suicide. Written just a couple of years before Brautigan's death I'd say its his ruminations on death and life itself.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Giff wrote: The Mysteries of Pittsburgh - Michael Chabon
Very good book, barely tolerable movie.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

How did I not read this years ago?

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Listening to Chuck Palahniuk's Choke right now. Not sure where this is going, but it is going to be a strange, strange trip.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Speaking of Palahniuk . . . he's sort of writing a sequel to Fight Club http://chuckpalahniuk.net/books/fight-club-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote:Listening to Chuck Palahniuk's Choke right now. Not sure where this is going, but it is going to be a strange, strange trip.
One of his better ones, imho.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:
The Sybian wrote:Listening to Chuck Palahniuk's Choke right now. Not sure where this is going, but it is going to be a strange, strange trip.
One of his better ones, imho.
My friend who has been pushing Chuck on me for years ranked Choke #2, and Lullaby #1. It's a bit strange, but I hear a lot of similarities in the writing to Pygmy. Wouldn't expect that, since Pygmy is written in the broken English of a presumably (my presumption) North Korean kid.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:My friend who has been pushing Chuck on me for years ranked Choke #2, and Lullaby #1. It's a bit strange, but I hear a lot of similarities in the writing to Pygmy. Wouldn't expect that, since Pygmy is written in the broken English of a presumably (my presumption) North Korean kid.
And it is because of that fundamental design flaw that Pygmy is a failure. The missives (or diary) would be written in the language of the totalitarian country rather than horrifically tortured English.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:My friend who has been pushing Chuck on me for years ranked Choke #2, and Lullaby #1. It's a bit strange, but I hear a lot of similarities in the writing to Pygmy. Wouldn't expect that, since Pygmy is written in the broken English of a presumably (my presumption) North Korean kid.
And it is because of that fundamental design flaw that Pygmy is a failure. The missives (or diary) would be written in the language of the totalitarian country rather than horrifically tortured English.
A book that his audience wouldn't be able to read at all certainly would've been more successful.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:
Scottie wrote:
A book that his audience wouldn't be able to read at all certainly would've been more successful.
Hey, it worked for Tolkien!
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Hey, it worked for Tolkien!
But totally missed out on character names like Most Esteemed Madame Funbags.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

P.D.X. wrote:A book that his audience wouldn't be able to read at all certainly would've been more successful.
What? Like Finnegans Wake?

Don't get me wrong, I like Palahniuk. It's just that Pygmy is too fundamentally flawed. The reader has to suspend their disbelief too much and throughout. It's sort of the opposite of the original Star Trek series where the viewer accepts that no matter what planet the spaceship people land on they find that everyone inhabiting it miraculously speaks perfect English as their mother tongue yet have never heard of Earth. With Pygmy it is the yang to the ying of that. You have to believe that the protagonist cannot speak his own mother tongue nor can anyone back in his home country for whom the communication is meant. I didn't say the novel isn't any good (it is), just that the very premise is flawed. And by that I mean the "style premise" rather than the situational premise.

Style premise. Hmm. I like that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:A book that his audience wouldn't be able to read at all certainly would've been more successful.

Don't get me wrong, I like Palahniuk. It's just that Pygmy is too fundamentally flawed. The reader has to suspend their disbelief too much and throughout. It's sort of the opposite of the original Star Trek series where the viewer accepts that no matter what planet the spaceship people land on they find that everyone inhabiting it miraculously speaks perfect English as their mother tongue yet have never heard of Earth. With Pygmy it is the yang to the ying of that. You have to believe that the protagonist cannot speak his own mother tongue nor can anyone back in his home country for whom the communication is meant. I didn't say the novel isn't any good (it is), just that the very premise is flawed. And by that I mean the "style premise" rather than the situational premise.

I kind of imagined the book as a poorly translated version of his writing in his native tongue. Easier to do when listening to the audiobook.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Scottie wrote:

I think he was trying to keep Pygmy's exact nationality ambiguous as well — just a cat from some run-of-the-mill totalitarian state. As soon as a language is used, you know where he's from. Then it becomes directly political, which I imagine CP was trying to avoid.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

New app claims you'll be able to read novels in 90 minutes. I can do the 350/minute but certainly not the 500. Supposedly some people are over 1000 with it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

If comprehension actually is equal or improved, this could be really huge. I don't mean making lots of money huge--changing the way we study and read huge. Fascinating.

Bryan Cranston was on Stern the other day, talking about his apprehension at learning hundreds of pages of lines for his first Broadway show. He spoke of how weirdly automatic the process was; he felt as if the amount of memorization was impossible, yet cramming ten new pages each day, day after day, magically the lines stuck in his brain.

A lot of things we have yet to figure out about how this thing works, my second-favorite organ.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't have any trouble with the 500. And I realize I'm probably starting to become an old fogey, but seems like something like that would kinda take the "fun" out of reading. Isn't the whole idea that it's supposed to be a leisure activity? Have we as a society really become all consumed with doing stuff hella fast?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!