Swamp 6 Link Dump Extravaganza

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Swamp 6 Link Dump Extravaganza

Post by The Sybian »

I didn't think they outed Grandpa as a sex offender, just saying that 4 live in town. Then again, I was distracted the whole time wondering who dressed the anchor in a jacket 2 sizes too small, and let him go on air with both buttons buttoned and half his tie sticking out the bottom. I'd like to think my kids wouldn't walk off with a complete stranger. Maybe the kid recognized the Grandpa if he usually picks up the right kid. I could see my daughter leaving school with a friends' parent. They have been with the same kids from the time they were infants until now, so they know all the parents really well.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:I didn't think they outed Grandpa as a sex offender, just saying that 4 live in town. Then again, I was distracted the whole time wondering who dressed the anchor in a jacket 2 sizes too small, and let him go on air with both buttons buttoned and half his tie sticking out the bottom. I'd like to think my kids wouldn't walk off with a complete stranger. Maybe the kid recognized the Grandpa if he usually picks up the right kid. I could see my daughter leaving school with a friends' parent. They have been with the same kids from the time they were infants until now, so they know all the parents really well.
They may not have outed him as a sex offender but they needlessly, sensationally, associated him with sex offenders and exhibited complete disregard for the man in what surely has to be considered one of the worst possible ways. There are countless ways to frame that story; a reminder to people on both sides of that fuck up to get their shit together would have been far more appropriate. If anyone should be shamed via a media that potentially can be seen worldwide, it's the fuckwits at the school that enabled that.

"In other news, Joe Someguy was driving through the Pacific Northwest when he suddenly got a flat tire JUST OUTSIDE OF A TOWN THAT HAS THREE KNOWN SERIAL KILLERS AT LARGE."
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah, I mean the only information they had was that he accidentally took the kid, his wife called the school, and he brought the kid back. Th number of sex offenders living in that town is completely irrelevant at that point.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Scottie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I didn't think they outed Grandpa as a sex offender, just saying that 4 live in town. Then again, I was distracted the whole time wondering who dressed the anchor in a jacket 2 sizes too small, and let him go on air with both buttons buttoned and half his tie sticking out the bottom. I'd like to think my kids wouldn't walk off with a complete stranger. Maybe the kid recognized the Grandpa if he usually picks up the right kid. I could see my daughter leaving school with a friends' parent. They have been with the same kids from the time they were infants until now, so they know all the parents really well.
They may not have outed him as a sex offender but they needlessly, sensationally, associated him with sex offenders and exhibited complete disregard for the man in what surely has to be considered one of the worst possible ways. There are countless ways to frame that story; a reminder to people on both sides of that fuck up to get their shit together would have been far more appropriate. If anyone should be shamed via a media that potentially can be seen worldwide, it's the fuckwits at the school that enabled that.

"In other news, Joe Someguy was driving through the Pacific Northwest when he suddenly got a flat tire JUST OUTSIDE OF A TOWN THAT HAS THREE KNOWN SERIAL KILLERS AT LARGE."

Oh yeah, I completely agree. It was a pointless scare tactic to sensationalize a nothing story. Worse than pointless, actually, as it was a lack of integrity. Same as the leads going into commercial breaks like, "something in your house is slowly killing you and your entire family...Stay tuned to find out what it is."
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:. . . "something in your house is slowly killing you and your entire family...Stay tuned to find out what it is."
Exactly. Grave announcer voice, feigned concern, and then after the commercial they tell you that the something is only "Researchers at the Quatloo Institute of Fizbin have discovered that consuming more than 300 eggs per day can significantly raise one's cholesterol levels."
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Of course stuff like this gets around on social media quick via all of us military folks. But when it gets national attention, it makes me go, "WTF? Really?"

Stupid selfie! Soldier posts pic of herself avoiding flag salute, ignites online firestorm

Photo enclosed in the story with her stating:
"This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don't have to salute the 1700 flag. KEEP ALL YOUR 'THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.' COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF."
I've discussed it here before, but I hate, hate, hate everything and everyone stopping at 1700 on a military base to come to attention and salute. No matter where you are, what you're doing, and who you're with. Unless you're indoors, it's, as Scottie previously compared, Two Minutes Hate time. The only reason, I feel that this received so much negative attention was her bravado in stating how she was ducking it.

As a military member everyone has gotten caught. Whether you stayed a bit after work and were taking out the trash. Or you went to get gas. Or you were just saying hi to someone in the parking lot and the chit chat ran long. Hell, I was driving on base going through an intersection the other day because I had the green light and the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I thought maybe something was in the road until I realized he and everyone driving stopped. Then I looked at my clock on my radio. 1700. I rolled my eyes.

There's a reason this is a comic on Terminal Lance:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

http://zone190.com

Here's what the Jewish Jordan is doing these days. Cool invention.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote:http://zone190.com

Here's what the Jewish Jordan is doing these days. Cool invention.
Really slick. Woulda loved something like that when i was a kid.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This guy is running for student government office at the college where I teach.

This would be his real name.

http://humberlife.com/elections/1415can ... -von-doom/
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That would be a great name for a pro wrestler.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That's just a great name, period.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

If The Moon Were Only One Pixel
A Tediously Accurate Scale Model of the Solar System

With some philosophic thoughts on being and nothingness interspersed. I thought this was cute, not for everybody.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:That's just a great name, period.
I'm stealing a poster when I'm back on campus on Monday.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Sabo wrote:That would be a great name for a pro wrestler.
WIth a death metal schtick.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

howard wrote:If The Moon Were Only One Pixel
A Tediously Accurate Scale Model of the Solar System

With some philosophic thoughts on being and nothingness interspersed. I thought this was cute, not for everybody.
This is all sorts of awesome. I've been scrolling through it all for the last 8 minutes or so and am only halfway. It's probably the best metaphor for the vastness of the solar system I've ever seen.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't get it.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

howard wrote:…not for everybody.
This is all sorts of awesome.

I don't get it.
I know my Swamp.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:I don't get it.
Seriously? You would have been the first person I guessed would have loved the site. I thought it was incredible and really put the vastness of the solar system into something comprehensible. Carl Sagan would have approved.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I actually get it. I was originally thinking universe, not solar system and if that were the case it would still be way too small.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Here's a stupid question though...do all computer monitors have the same amount of pixels?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jerloma wrote:I actually get it. I was originally thinking universe, not solar system and if that were the case it would still be way too small.
If you'd clicked all the way to the end, he said he decided to stop at Pluto because the next object to appear on the map would require something like 6,700+ more maps if using the same scale. So yeah, the solar system ain't shit when compared to the universe.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:Here's a stupid question though...do all computer monitors have the same amount of pixels?
No. Doesn't matter for that presentation though. You might be able to see more space on a higher-res monitor, but the distances will still be the same.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Here's a stupid question though...do all computer monitors have the same amount of pixels?
Yes, a pixel is a pixel is a pixel. Just like an inch. Some monitors display MORE pixels, but the size of a pixel is constant like an inch or mile or whatever.

(Not really a stupid question).

(ETA: I read Jerloma's question wrong. Yeah, monitors are different sizes, but like PDX and I said, the size of a pixel is a constant.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma has his monitor set to "Minecraft"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
Yes, a pixel is a pixel is a pixel. Just like an inch. Some monitors display MORE pixels, but the size of a pixel is constant like an inch or mile or whatever.

(ETA: I read Jerloma's question wrong. Yeah, monitors are different sizes, but like PDX and I said, the size of a pixel is a constant.)
No, that's not right. Pixel size depends on the device. For example, the newer iPads display more pixels in the same size screen as older iPads.

It's also why you can view the same image on your phone that you might see on your computer monitor. It's the same resolution (number of pixels), but much smaller.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:

No, that's not right. Pixel size depends on the device. For example, the newer iPads display more pixels in the same size screen as older iPads.

It's also why you can view the same image on your phone that you might see on your computer monitor. It's the same resolution (number of pixels), but much smaller.
That's just a difference in resolution on those devices though. Like how you can change your computer monitor to different resolutions, but the size of the pixel is a constant relative to the resolution of the device.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

But the point here, if the pixel is smaller or not, the rest of the pixels remain in the same proportion to the moon pixel.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:But the point here, if the pixel is smaller or not, the rest of the pixels remain in the same proportion to the moon pixel.
Right, that's the gist.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pinkberry co-founder sentenced to 7 years in prison for beating a homeless man with a tire iron.

Bright side: prison yogurt is indistinguishable from his own product.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

You Really Can Buy Anything on Craigslist

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Re: You Really Can Buy Anything on Craigslist

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Re: You Really Can Buy Anything on Craigslist

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:
Hilarious.
Flagged for removal. Did anyone pick up a screenshot of it?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

These small town pictures are not what they seem. Kind of an interesting story, I think.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Is that where air guitar players get their groupies?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

I wouldn't mind poklon her skaya

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

And in predictable Japanese fashion, they have turned her into sexualized anime, just right for the foot fetishist.

-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah I have a threat to European security...IN MY PANTS!!! AMIRITE?