Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

I mean. I too am surprised it doesn’t live up to the 19-time Oscar winning original Space Jam?

I should add.. haven’t seen it. But I don’t expect it to be a “good” movie. But I bet I will be distracted for 90 minutes. This isn’t the latest Christopher Nolan joint and the original didn’t have to think about 9,000 bloggers or Twitter making cheap joke, or even well constructed takedowns. If it did, it would be subject to the same things. Jordan was stiff as shit in the whole thing. Bill murray had to be convinced by Jordan to be a part because it was so bad. It isn’t cinema it’s just a time waster. That’s ok.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

AB- are you in this movie? What a weird hill to climb up
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:14 pm AB- are you in this movie? What a weird hill to climb up
I’m just saying there’s no reason to have ever thought it was going to be good. It took like four years to get a script to be made. So it makes for good panning fodder but if the original was made now it’d be the same thing. Surely you can admit that. And I can admit that the defector thing was a funny takedown.

But related to my Twitter comments, if my coworker was in it I might also be more likely to think “cool”! Shit if you were in it I’d be the same way!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

And full disclosure I’m watching Tomrrow War so my tastes are subject. This isn’t news.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'll come right out and say it - I think "Space Jam" sucks. Seen it a couple of times and found nothing funny about it. The comedy was just about recognizing cultural touchstones.

This line from that review is killer -
But now, I think, in the era of online, an unredeemably beshitted movie industry wins by getting us suckers to dig and fortify rhetorical battle trenches around some new derivative horror show, out of pure tribal loyalty and near-religious sentimentality.
Sums up how I feel about so much of the movie and nostalgia industries.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Why wouldn't you put the Droogs in a children's movie?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some of the people slagging this movie get hard-ons when Marvel does the exact same things. (Which doesn’t make Space Jam good, mind you. Quite the opposite.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Unless you’re an idiot you have to know there’s a movie coming eventually that will combine Marvel and Star Wars IP and it’s going to be horrible and make a billion dollars. The war to protect the movie industry from mindless garbage was fought and lost two decades ago. The shitlords won)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:14 pm AB- are you in this movie? What a weird hill to climb up
Seems pretty tame as opposed to the many more words posted shitting all over a kids movie.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

UPDATE! I watched the movie. And you know what, it was exactly what I expected. The "get the gang back together" montage had me rolling. I had to pause the movie. I enjoyed it, but Lebron was definitely struggling to play himself. That's the biggest criticism I got. And like has been mentioned, it wasn't like Jordan was the next Pacino. OK one more small nit, I think the goon squad should have gotten much more run.

Also, tomorrow war was a decent movie with about 30 minutes of shit in the middle.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:42 am Also, tomorrow war was a decent movie with about 30 minutes of shit in the middle.
I'm a big fan of Pratt's screen presence, and Simmons and Strahovski were pretty good, too. Creature design and execution were top-notch. Biggest issues for me were the same that just about any time travel-based story suffers from, which is thinking about it for more than 30 seconds causes you to start tear it into pieces. At least the "tethered life-raft" concept was something sort of new, even if the hard-wired 7 days of service thing was all in the name of getting that one shot/moment.
[+] spoiler
The one thing I feel like I either missed or they didn't include is a reason why things were different when Pratt went back - what prompted that version of him to act where the one his grown-up kid knew withdrew and left?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I have a theory that when Netflix produces* a movie their main goal is really just to make a good trailer and then add whatever filler they need to turn it into a feature length. Since it's the trailer gets people to subscribe, the full length doesn't matter that much. (And of course, having a single star actor in it is part of the formula.)

*Rather than content they just pick up and slap their badge on, like indie and foreign films/series, etc
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:38 am
Seems pretty tame as opposed to the many more words posted shitting all over a kids movie.
A yes, the "it's a kids movie thing, what you did you expect"? defense. Okey dokey. Checking out. Definitely, kids movies are not subject to review or opinion. Toy Story and The Incredibles and Emperor's New Groove are the same as Space Jam 2 - it's unknowable which are better or worse because they are all kids movies and therefore the same and not worth discussing because, kids movies.

Is it because...Lebron? Is this a Lebron thing? I mean, I never saw the original Space Jam, so, it's not like I have nostalgia for that on this. But why can't reviewers say this is a shitty ass movie, exactly?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What a weird hill indeed, TB.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I watched both back to back and enjoyed them. Between conservatives hating LeBron and so many NBA fans in general not liking him, the negativity for the movie was bound to be loud. I'd say the first one did a better job including other NBA players (which was due to the story I guess), but both had the Looney Toons humor I'm a sucker for.
[+] spoiler
I loved the Michael B. Jordan gag, although it seemed weird that Michael Jordan didn't make a cameo.
"It's Looney Toons, not Fundamental Toons."
The first had a better soundtrack (and not because of R.Kelly)

There's also a version of the song with Chris Rock.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Went in expecting to hate Space Jam. I did not. It was not as good as the original but not horrible. You can see where they tried to cut corners and save money (insert NBA/WNBA stars limited actual acting). Even heavy animated Lebron seemed to me a chance to save a buck or so (and how much time Lebron had to be on set).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Since I've never seen the original Space Jam and I have unimpeachable taste in movies I think I might need to watch this and render a fair and impartial decision.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:18 pm
I’m just saying there’s no reason to have ever thought it was going to be good. It took like four years to get a script to be made. So it makes for good panning fodder but if the original was made now it’d be the same thing. Surely you can admit that. And I can admit that the defector thing was a funny takedown.

But related to my Twitter comments, if my coworker was in it I might also be more likely to think “cool”! Shit if you were in it I’d be the same way!
I never saw the original, but I've always found the nostalgia over it a little bit much. I didn't see it because it looked stupid and I wasn't a big MJ fan.

But I also don't care about it. At all. The guy that wrote that scathing review up thread... Like, wtf man?

It's the rough equivalent of writing a scathing review of Applebee's. What did you expect, dillhole?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He did admit he was assigned the project and not just hate watching it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s an understandable reaction to the way Hollywood sells us movies and TV shows these days. I’ve railed similarly to the way Disney treats Star Wars and Marvel, throwing as much IP at the wall as possible assuming most of it will stick. Warner Bros seems to have done that even more cynically here though admittedly I haven’t seen it.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm not seeing one goddamn second of Space Jam 2 Starring LeBron James and Sylvester the Cat until it hits my local arthouse with French subtitles, thankyouverymuch.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I just wanna take this time to say how much I loathe Ryan Reynolds.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:33 pm I just wanna take this time to say how much I loathe Ryan Reynolds.
Seconded.

Could very well be a nice guy, but the irritation level is high with that guy.

I used to feel that way about Jack Black until I saw him in a bunch of good movies.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Huh. I like RR just fine. I can absolutely see why his schtick might bug people, but I'm a mark for that style.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 pm I used to feel that way about Jack Black until I saw him in a bunch of good movies.
He is one trickiest pony ever. What movies are these?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I don't hate Reynolds, but I get how he can be annoying. He hams up almost everything and has to signal he's joking all the time.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:18 pm
I never saw the original, but I've always found the nostalgia over it a little bit much. I didn't see it because it looked stupid and I wasn't a big MJ fan.

How old were you when Space Jam came out? If you were 8, you might have a different take on the nostalgia angle. I was 20, and while I remember thinking it looked like a really cheesy kids movie and I didn't watch it, but I could see why kids would have gone nuts over it. Plus there was a huge marketing push, constant commercials, probably a Happy Meal promotion...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:11 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 pm I used to feel that way about Jack Black until I saw him in a bunch of good movies.
Tropic Thunder
School of Rock
High Fidelity

But there’s some definite chaff in there too.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm
Tropic Thunder
School of Rock
High Fidelity

He had also built up cred in some legendary skits on Mr. Show w/ Bob & David, performing two musical numbers.

One of which I'll post here.

Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm
Tropic Thunder
School of Rock
High Fidelity

I was picturing leading man roles when Pruitt made that statement. I like him in both the movies you named as a supporting role and I liked him in School of Rock, but I’m pretty sure that is his default character.

As a lead though, he doesn’t do anything for me. Same with Reynolds (except for Deadpool). I also don’t watch many movies.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nacho Libre
Tropic Thunder
Bernie - He was great in this one
The Polka King
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also surprisingly good in the rom com The Holiday
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:26 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:18 pm

How old were you when Space Jam came out? If you were 8, you might have a different take on the nostalgia angle. I was 20, and while I remember thinking it looked like a really cheesy kids movie and I didn't watch it, but I could see why kids would have gone nuts over it. Plus there was a huge marketing push, constant commercials, probably a Happy Meal promotion...
Yeah I had originally put together a post that talked about this very thing. I was in my 20s... Movie wasn't meant for me. Same with this current iteration.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I liked it when he punted Baxter.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 pm I don't hate Reynolds, but I get how he can be annoying. He hams up almost everything and has to signal he's joking all the time.
You may want to give "Buried" a try*. Only 95 minutes long.

* Unless you're claustrophobic.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:40 am
Nacho Libre
Tropic Thunder
Bernie - He was great in this one
The Polka King
I've tried Nacho Libre, not my thing. He's good in Tropic Thunder. I'll check out the other two. Thanks.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 am Also surprisingly good in the rom com The Holiday
One of Mrs. BFJ's favorites. "The macaroons are divine".
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Orange County is prob my fav Jack Black flick.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like I've seen Saving Silverman entirely more than the movie's quality warrants. The Amandas (Peet and Detmer) were both quite attractive in it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It also blows The Jazz Singer away as the best Neil Diamond movie.