Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by bfj »

This sucks. Sorry you and your family have to go through this.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm sorry, DSafe. You're in my thoughts.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Love you mean it pal. If you need anything we got your back.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Life sure sucks sometimes. Hang in there DSafe.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man.

Sometimes I can’t believe this is still going on.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

‘I should have gotten the damn vaccine’: Father of 5 dies of COVID at age 39
“We went out to the beach. We didn’t put on sunblock, so everyone got really sunburnt,” she said. “Dad (Freedy) really got sunburnt.”

His sunburn was so bad, he went to the ER when back in Vegas. A COVID test at the hospital came back positive, but he went home to try and fight it out in isolation.
No condoms. No sunblock. No vaccine. Like, omfg, man.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, we're gonna try again in three weeks, as we can finagle the kids' camp schedule and exploit the wife's start date at the new job and get an extra day out of the trip. Pending, of course, whatever happens between now and then in a county currently rocking a 37.21% vaccinated rate (it was 32.49% two months ago).

Sabo, if we're gonna do it, Eagle Creek better have a goddamn patio or we'll just drink in the fucking parking lot.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Read the best response. Instead of "elect a clown, expect a circus," it's "elect a sewer clown, expect dead children."

Why the Democratic presence in Florida isn't working overtime to smear him with It posters (which I'm sure Stephen King would love) and referring to him as Ron DeathSentence every day is...just about right for Democrats.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I see we had similar side effects
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Has anyone heard of a J&J recipient getting a non-J&J shot as a booster + prevention against the variants? I'm starting to hear "rumors".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:44 pm Has anyone heard of a J&J recipient getting a non-J&J shot as a booster + prevention against the variants? I'm starting to hear "rumors".
I've had an ear out b/c my daughter is a J & J. I want her to get a booster w/ the Pfizer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One of the reasons this latest surge has been so bad here in Mexico is that it’s being reported that apparently the Sinovac (Chinese) vaccines are basically worthless.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:44 pm Has anyone heard of a J&J recipient getting a non-J&J shot as a booster + prevention against the variants? I'm starting to hear "rumors".
I hadn't, but asked my wife and she said she knows two people who supplemented the J&J vaccine with one dose of Pfizer. I didn't know that was an option.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:27 pm
I hadn't, but asked my wife and she said she knows two people who supplemented the J&J vaccine with one dose of Pfizer. I didn't know that was an option.
I don't think it officially is. Probably health care industry folks were able to hook themselves up where general public can't.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:06 am
I don't think it officially is. Probably health care industry folks were able to hook themselves up where general public can't.
They weren't health care people. I got vaxxed at a municipal clinic. I don't see how CVS would know if I scheduled an appointment for a vaccine, I don't think there is a central database.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:19 am
They weren't health care people. I got vaxxed at a municipal clinic. I don't see how CVS would know if I scheduled an appointment for a vaccine, I don't think there is a central database.
I think there is a central database (in Florida anyway). I'd originally signed up to get the vax in Orlando because Orange Co. was one of the first counties in FL to make it available to my age group. Before my appointment over there came up, Hillsborough opened a walk up vaxx site, and when I got there to register they had to cancel my Orange Co. appointment and "reschedule" me for the Hillsborough walk up site.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Are you blacking out and forgetting your time on the front lines? There was definitely a database! Whether CVS (or wherever) would bother to check every new appointment against it to see if someone already got jabbed, who knows. I know where you and I volunteered did not and had a handful of people end up getting 3+ shots because they signed up for that clinic after getting vaccinated elsewhere.

A friend mentioned yesterday that she took her daughter for a pre-season physical yesterday and brought the vaxx card with her but the doctor's office somehow already had a record of the fact that she had gotten the shot(s).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:55 am
Are you blacking out and forgetting your time on the front lines? There was definitely a database! Whether CVS (or wherever) would bother to check every new appointment against it to see if someone already got jabbed, who knows. I know where you and I volunteered did not and had a handful of people end up getting 3+ shots because they signed up for that clinic after getting vaccinated elsewhere.

A friend mentioned yesterday that she took her daughter for a pre-season physical yesterday and brought the vaxx card with her but the doctor's office somehow already had a record of the fact that she had gotten the shot(s).
I just assumed that was a database to make sure people actually had an appointment. I only used it when people's names didn't show on the printed list.

Just took my kids for their annual physical, and the doctor's records show no vaccine for any of us. They are part of the major hospital system, and they only have a record of vaccines received within the system, either a doctors office, hospital or one of the megacenters they run. That's what made me think there isn't a system. The rest of my family went to CVS.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:25 pm
rass wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:55 am

I just assumed that was a database to make sure people actually had an appointment. I only used it when people's names didn't show on the printed list.

Just took my kids for their annual physical, and the doctor's records show no vaccine for any of us. They are part of the major hospital system, and they only have a record of vaccines received within the system, either a doctors office, hospital or one of the megacenters they run. That's what made me think there isn't a system. The rest of my family went to CVS.
Is there any national medical database about *any* medical condition or status? I think the very idea would engender all kinds of opposition.

I always assumed that's why we have paper vaccination cards - even before Covid.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Maybe I'm blacking out. I thought we used the DB to verify that people had gotten the first dose when they showed up for the second without their card. Maybe that was just a local system. My friend's story from the pediatrician was weird, though. And pretty sure she got her daughter the shot at a CVS or Walgreens or someplace like that.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:46 pm Maybe I'm blacking out. I thought we used the DB to verify that people had gotten the first dose when they showed up for the second without their card. Maybe that was just a local system. My friend's story from the pediatrician was weird, though. And pretty sure she got her daughter the shot at a CVS or Walgreens or someplace like that.
I assume that was a local system. My County health department, who we all got vaccinations through, had that also.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:46 pm Maybe I'm blacking out. I thought we used the DB to verify that people had gotten the first dose when they showed up for the second without their card. Maybe that was just a local system.
Could be, I was so focused on remembering which car I needed to return to that everything else was forced out of my brain.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kinda torn. On the one hand what's the point of rules for vaccinations under emergency authorization for federal employees?

On the other, any military members at this point who aren't vaccinated are just being assholes to be assholes because their favored orange crusted politician didn't win.

Since I'm vaccinated and trust science my schadenfreude of the latter outweighs the former.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Oh Arkansas. You do you, baby.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The replies in that thread are gold.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:23 am The replies in that thread are gold.
I didn't really what the deal was until I read the comments to be honest. It's a little disheartening to see so many Black people assuming that he was talking about something illegal when I just assumed he had some kind of a (legal) hustle selling whatever. I mean there's white housewives out there selling Tibetan prayer candles out of the trunk of their Prius.

Personally gonna give the state of Arkansas a big, big pass on this one.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did we mention that this happened? I'm not finding it when I search.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:23 am The replies in that thread are gold.
I didn't really what the deal was until I read the comments to be honest. It's a little disheartening to see so many Black people assuming that he was talking about something illegal when I just assumed he had some kind of a (legal) hustle selling whatever. I mean there's white housewives out there selling Tibetan prayer candles out of the trunk of their Prius.

Personally gonna give the state of Arkansas a big, big pass on this one.
I guess. I mean, it's like an unintentional homage to several scenes from Hollywood Shuffle...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nah dawg. That guy is clearly pretending to be a dope dealer. He even calls himself a hustler in the streets. They could have just been normal. I'm a uber driver and come in close contact with lots of people so I need a vaccine and urge other to do the same.

Eta. My bad. It's Arkansas so he could be pretending to pimp women. But usually those actors adopt a slower speech pattern.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've been cautiously optimistic in not sharing my wife's fear for the Fall, but I'm starting to lose faith. This time last year, pre-vaccine, my town went several months without a single case, and numbers were low in most of the country. My town has an 83% vaccination rate for adults, and we have new cases more days than not. Been hovering between 10-20 active cases every day for most of the summer. What is going to happen in the Fall? The Delta variant is clearly spreading faster, and I assume like the original virus, it'll be much worse in the Fall and Winter than in the Summer, so are we facing more lockdowns? I wonder if the increased numbers compared to last summer is due to indoor dining and many people no longer wearing masks indoors, and that accounts for more of the reason we have spread. Throw in travel, as many more people are going on out of state/country trips this summer. It seems like a ton of people I know are traveling in COVID hotspots, and I'm reading that vaccinated people spread Delta.

My company just pushed back our Return to Office plan from September to a tentative October date that they expect to push back again. In May, I would have bet on nobody questioning a September return. I was planning on attending a conference out of State in October, didn't think there was a chance that'd be cancelled, now I'm not sure I am going to sign up to attend.

I think I mentioned we will likely be asked to carpool to soccer practices. Girl is still 11, so unvaxxed. They are in Orland for 3 weeks, already made 3 trips to Urgent Care this week which they said is completely overrun with suspected COVID patients. I really don't want to drive this kid 35 minutes each way 3 days a week. Hell, I didn't want to drive this kid pre-COVID either, but that's another story.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've been reduced to hanging my hat on the fact that Delta just sort of petered out elsewhere (UK, India) before burning through the entire unvaccinated population as (reasonably?) predicted. Would feel better if the experts knew why that happened, but...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

How close is FDA to allowing pre-approval vaxes in kids 6-12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I keep seeing September for Pfizer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:26 pm I've been reduced to hanging my hat on the fact that Delta just sort of petered out elsewhere (UK, India) before burning through the entire unvaccinated population as (reasonably?) predicted. Would feel better if the experts knew why that happened, but...
That's a good point. Maybe they burned through earlier and Summer slowed it down? I'm just hearing about too many vaccinated people testing positive and worse, having symptoms. All the numbers I see of percentage of hospitalized people that are vaccinated seem great, until you realize they include all hospitalizations back to early 2020, when nobody was vaccinated. I can't seem to find any numbers showing percentage of hospitalized or positive in recent months or compared to percentage vaccinated. I'm not living in fear for my own health, but concerned about potentially passing on the virus to an older relative or child, even if all the older relatives are vaxxed. My parents were vaxxed really early, so I don't know how much the effectiveness decreases.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:33 pm I keep seeing September for Pfizer.
Fingers crossed. I want so badly for this to be removed as a worry for you all.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:33 pm I keep seeing September for Pfizer.
I'm ready to camp out with my 7 yr old, Krzyzewskiville style.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:15 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 am Found out today our son was exposed at day camp on Friday to someone who tested positive Saturday. It's all outdoors, he's doing fine currently with a test scheduled for Thursday, our daughter is away at sleepover camp this week (instead of at the same day camp), my wife and I are both vaccinated....

Just trying to hold Pandora's Box of infuriating questions closed in the interim.
He's negative... but the state of New York is directing him to quarantine until Monday night.
As an addendum, spoke to my non-vaccinated sister the other day, who mentioned she was "very concerned" about this and "very relieved" to know he was fine.

No, I did not ask her if she had been concerned enough to get vaccinated to try to ensure this doesn't happen to other children, but I did stay silent long enough that I could have said that during the dead air.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:37 pmNo, I did not ask her if she had been concerned enough to get vaccinated to try to ensure this doesn't happen to other children, but I did stay silent long enough that I could have said that during the dead air.
I would not have had your fortitude.