2021 NFL Season Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: 2021 NFL Season Thread

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:58 pm Those are the kind of jokes that …

UNITAS!!!
I laughed anyway.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:05 pm
Tom 1860 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:32 am his typical whiny bullshit
hey, I wrote some pretty lovely things about Elway before I let rip.

He was a wonderful player, but...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Heh

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'm not following anyone from "Giants twitter", but I did get this before the fight, which accurately sums up anything re-tweeted into my timeline about them this far:

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't follow "Giants twitter" either - but -yeah - its oozing into my timeline. For hilarious reasons.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I dated a girl a few years back who Mike Tanier taught HS math to.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So, Jonathan Taylor probably not a first round back anymore?

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:37 am
All this happening now is just gravy...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Urban Meyer to use Winners and Losers drill to help determine Jacksonville Jaguars' cuts

This seems incredibly stupid and probably lazy. Aren't you going to end up having players focus on conserving energy for one-on-one drills versus practicing like they would on a normal team?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:32 pm Urban Meyer to use Winners and Losers drill to help determine Jacksonville Jaguars' cuts

This seems incredibly stupid and probably lazy. Aren't you going to end up having players focus on conserving energy for one-on-one drills versus practicing like they would on a normal team?
Worked for Robert California
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:32 pm Urban Meyer to use Winners and Losers drill to help determine Jacksonville Jaguars' cuts

"But I've had to make decisions on who starts, and it's not fair to players to say, 'Well, I'm starting [you] because I like you or because you're from Ohio.' It's just, 'Here's the stats.' They say statistics are for losers, and my comment is usually losers say statistics are for losers."
Tell Canton to get the plaque ready...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:59 pm

"But I've had to make decisions on who starts, and it's not fair to players to say, 'Well, I'm starting [you] because I like you or because you're from Ohio.' It's just, 'Here's the stats.' They say statistics are for losers, and my comment is usually losers say statistics are for losers."
Tell Canton to get the plaque ready...
Since he's determining jobs after 5 reps, I wonder if he would like the "every man's got a record" criteria applied to him after five games this season?
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Seems like a loser's idea of making winners.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If one took Meyer's tactic to a ridiculous extreme, he'd keep an old, injury-prone, overpriced player with no upside over a young guy with loads of potential, if he did a bit better in drills.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My evergreen comment stands
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And then use "look, he did tangibly better (at the test I made the absolute factor)" as the end-all to any questioning of decisions. But I can't possibly see that happening.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That’s a Michigan State education for you.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Qirk Qousins.

Qouch.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

This explains some of it. Ffs

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You like that?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Lamar Jackson is not vaccinated, has had COVID twice, and posts anti Vax crap to his IG pages. So proud of my QB.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:44 pm This explains some of it. Ffs

Everybody on fuckin' Earth "has an agenda". Mike Zimmer has an agenda. Big Bird has an agenda. Uncle Sam has an agenda.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know who doesn't have an agenda? A preacher.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Many people don't remember this now, but one of the reasons Cousins fell to the fourth round in the draft was his batshit crazy dad.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Or maybe I'm thinking of Connor Cook's dad. What the fuck is it with Michigan State QBs and their fucking crazy-ass fascist fathers?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

NFL coaches are fucking nuts. I wonder if they're all somehow deciding to take the opposite lesson of Ted Lasso.
“My message to the team is very clear: We attack every day. It’s a climb and we’re attacking every day,” he said. “We like to even break it down further than that. We’re not only attacking every day; we’re attacking the little parts of that day, right? The players right now are attacking rest. The coaches, when we’re done here, I’m going to go up with the offensive staff and we’re going to watch the tape and we’re going to attack the crap out of the film. Then we’re going to attack the meeting room, right? Then we’re going to attack the walkthrough, then we are going to attack the meeting room again.”
philadelphiaeagles.com

Hell yeah! Oh hell yeah! Attack that rest!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m seeing a lot of free autumn Sundays in my immediate future.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its really nice. I enjoyed the routine for a while but then it became more like an obligation and being free is lovely.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I like Josh Allen but I’d be at least a little concerned over that extension. I would have thought they might be able to keep the AAV down a little more than $43M/year.

ETA: With the caveat that NFL contracts are bullshit. Of course, he did also get $150M guaranteed, so it's still a huge investment.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:34 pm I like Josh Allen but I’d be at least a little concerned over that extension. I would have thought they might be able to keep the AAV down a little more than $43M/year.

ETA: With the caveat that NFL contracts are bullshit. Of course, he did also get $150M guaranteed, so it's still a huge investment.
For that kind of money, you'd hope there's a clause forcing him to get a vaccine.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:20 am NFL coaches are fucking nuts. I wonder if they're all somehow deciding to take the opposite lesson of Ted Lasso.
“My message to the team is very clear: We attack every day. It’s a climb and we’re attacking every day,” he said. “We like to even break it down further than that. We’re not only attacking every day; we’re attacking the little parts of that day, right? The players right now are attacking rest. The coaches, when we’re done here, I’m going to go up with the offensive staff and we’re going to watch the tape and we’re going to attack the crap out of the film. Then we’re going to attack the meeting room, right? Then we’re going to attack the walkthrough, then we are going to attack the meeting room again.”
philadelphiaeagles.com

Hell yeah! Oh hell yeah! Attack that rest!
I realize the journalist in you wouldn't delete the credit, but it would have been fun to play "guess which coach said this?". I'm sure there would have been at least 10 different answers. I would have guessed the lunatic in Detroit.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:34 pm I like Josh Allen but I’d be at least a little concerned over that extension. I would have thought they might be able to keep the AAV down a little more than $43M/year.

At the least the Ravens have their floor now. I like Pruitt's vaccine clause idea.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

For the second consecutive season, DirecTV is comping me Sunday Ticket Max for some reason.

ETA: Well, last season was probably a bribe to get me to keep DirecTV through the pandemic, as that email came in late April of 2020.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:30 pm For the second consecutive season, DirecTV is comping me Sunday Ticket Max for some reason.

ETA: Well, last season was probably a bribe to get me to keep DirecTV through the pandemic, as that email came in late April of 2020.
I received that email as well. But, I'll be quitting DirecTV just as soon as I can get my wife to get onboard.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone to find out that Nick Bosa's girlfriend's tweets loudly identify her as (also) a racist, homophobic, Trump-supporter who won't get the Covid vaccination. Even so, this thread of her tweets is a thing to behold. I could post them all in this thread, but they go on and on and on... (These tweets were recently brought to light, and she then deleted her Twitter account.)

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That just keeps going and going. Jesus.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.