2021 NFL Season Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2021 NFL Season Thread

Post by A_B »

Beasley in quarantine!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Mike Tanier after the Pfizer vaccine was approved yesterday:

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Matt Nagy:
When I first got here . . . I explained to everybody that this offense, it takes a few years to get going. We saw that in Kansas City because it took a few years, not just with the players that were coming in and were drafted, but the scheme — them learning it and understanding it. After three or four years, it really started picking up and going. I feel like we’re at that spot right now. We’ve got some guys that have been on this team for two, three, four years, and they know the offense as well as I do — where that wasn’t the case two or three years ago. When you have that and you have a guy like Andy and these quarterbacks that come in and understand it, that’s where it gives me confidence.
20th, 25th, and 25th in offensive DVOA the previous three seasons. Guess the offense is really going to take off under the two brand new quarterbacks.

Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy suck.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:48 pm Magary's annual WYTS columns have been especially good this year, IMO, but when he turns his attention to his Vikings, he always seems to find some extra heat. I am laughing over this one in particular:
I’m so sick of Kirk Cousins I want a new brain injury. And yet, here he remains. When the pandemic hit, Kirk said, “If I die, I die” and then DIDN’T die. Fucking rude.
If you hate Nashville, todays on the Titans is required reading. If you don't hate Nashville, you will after reading. The user comments from today are golden as well.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:53 pmIf you hate Nashville, todays on the Titans is required reading. If you don't hate Nashville, you will after reading. The user comments from today are golden as well.
This one did not disappoint:
Nashville is the Instagram of Towns. This city is useless except for bachelorette parties and contracting the Delta variant.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Potentially big injury to Ravens tonight - Dobbins may have a serious knee injury. Move Gus Edwards up your RB lists if so.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:14 pm Potentially big injury to Ravens tonight - Dobbins may have a serious knee injury. Move Gus Edwards up your RB lists if so.
Shit. I held onto him in my dynasty league.

ETA: and I’m remiss not to first give my disappointment for a young guy just in his second year. That crappy Washington turf claims yet another victim.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:19 pm
tennbengal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:14 pm Potentially big injury to Ravens tonight - Dobbins may have a serious knee injury. Move Gus Edwards up your RB lists if so.
Shit. I held onto him in my dynasty league.

ETA: and I’m remiss not to first give my disappointment for a young guy just in his second year. That crappy Washington turf claims yet another victim.
Not even sure it was the turf. Just bad luck. His knee was planted and he took a hit on it while planted at the end of a screen pass.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Out for the season. Seems to me they'll be even more RBBC than previously thought, so they need to bring on another pair of legs. Gurley makes too much sense, if only to take on 25% of the workload...
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pats got dion Lewis. And the guy from OU can run it too. Sony got traded because of JJ Taylor. Flashes everywhere.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:47 pm
Out for the season. Seems to me they'll be even more RBBC than previously thought, so they need to bring on another pair of legs. Gurley makes too much sense, if only to take on 25% of the workload...
Unless they'd rather not waste carries
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:47 pm
Unless they'd rather not waste carries
I think it's safe to say the Ravens OL is vastly superior to the Falcons. However, it's not so much about making Gurley the feature back as it is mitigating the risk of losing another RB to injury.

ETA - Maybe they wait to see who gets cut, or if they can pluck somebody from another team's practice squad before pulling the trigger on a deal or signing Gurley.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I would be thrilled if they sign Todd Gurley and give him any carries.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Feels like this article was written for DSafe...

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The biggest star from my college years made #38.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:42 am The biggest star from my college years made #38.
The Bears drafted Dan LeFevour (the greatest MAC QB of all-time -- eat shit, Big Ben!) and I guess I didn't realize he never threw a regular season pass for them until just now.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No one should ever do the crate challenge.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I think I just heard Cam Newton got cut
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a bold move, Cotton. Etc.

(Not sure why BB would agree to this, but the team and Cam must have had some kind of agreement where they'd cut him if he wasn't the starter. Because I'm struggling to figure out why you'd want Brian Hoyer as a backup instead of Cam. I'm sure the Belichick worshippers will be here shortly to explain the genius of this move though.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just got the push note. It's true.

ETA
brian wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:18 am It's a bold move, Cotton. Etc.

(Not sure why BB would agree to this, but the team and Cam must have had some kind of agreement where they'd cut him if he wasn't the starter. Because I'm struggling to figure out why you'd want Brian Hoyer as a backup instead of Cam. I'm sure the Belichick worshippers will be here shortly to explain the genius of this move though.)
This seems far more likely.

Last edited by Johnnie on Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've always liked Cam and it sucks if this is the (likely) end of the road for him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Anti-vaxxer is told to hit the bricks. So long as Mac Jones showed enough promise this was always going to be the result.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I like Newton, but I like "if you aren't going to get vaxxed, its too much of a risk for us to deal with" even more.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

His arm has been shot for years. I don't understand why this would be all that surprising.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Trust me, I get that. I also have the tiniest degree of empathy for blacks who don't want to be vaccinated. I agree that their stance is as wrong as those Jethros and Amys who aren't vaccinating due to either Trumpism and/or their wellness influencers tell them not to. I also can agree that after centuries of oppression, including Tuskegee, unequal access and treatment to medicine, and general shittiness they've endured, their vaccine hesitancy is at least somewhat understandable.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I get that but it's not like we're only giving this vaccine to black people. Anyway if his shoulder were at all functional he'd probably still be unvaxxed and on the roster.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:48 am His arm has been shot for years. I don't understand why this would be all that surprising.
Seriously - last season he was one of the worst QBs I have seen in a long time. We're talking JP Losman level bad.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It's probably a combination of all the previously mentioned, plus making a clean break to Jones allows them to slim down the playbook for everyone on the offense. Contract was a sunk cost for the season, but they save about $1.5 million in no performance bonuses/escalators.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Forget the vax. Cam was acceptable. But it's all about the kid being in total control. Not sure he was necessarily all that great but he was in control. Team just looked better and the ball came out quicker with Jones under center. And I'm about 3 miles from Westlake HS and those coaches come around here sometimes so no Cam hater here. I also wonder why not backup. Maybe he was unwilling.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BECAUSE HIS MF-ING ARM DOESN'T MF-ING WORK

You can move into the stadium itself and it's not going to fix his arm
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:47 am BECAUSE HIS MF-ING ARM DOESN'T MF-ING WORK

so what do you think of his arm strength?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:47 am BECAUSE HIS MF-ING ARM DOESN'T MF-ING WORK

Eh…The Pats were resetting the cap last year and Newton helped them to a 7-9 record. This is about his unvaccinated ass shadowing Mac Jones in a veteran leadership role.

Not worth it.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Arm strength fine to me. All that double clutching didn't. Mostly Mac looked like a NFL QB. Tons of bumps coming I'm sure but they'll try to ride the line and backs to get him a year to get polished. Mostly he looked like a guy capable of investing the team in for the next few years.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

He looks ok when he can step into a throw with his entire body. When he can't, it can get ugly. Particularly to the sidelines.

If Mac Jones came in and looked like he could play now there's really no reason to keep an unvaxxed backup. I would bet Belichick would cut any unvaxxed player that isn't of the utmost importance.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:00 pmI would bet Belichick would cut any unvaxxed player that isn't of the utmost importance.
I wonder if that's the reason for some of his or other coaches' surprise cuts. Granted he makes surprising cuts every year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As long as we’re not pretending BB would cut any unvaxxed player of any kind of serious value or even moderate value.

I’m not convinced Mac Jones is the second coming but it’s hard to argue there’s probably negligible difference as far as starting. I probably would have kept Cam over Brian Hoyer but ironically Cam’s deal meant if Jones gets injured it’s a lot more expensive to suck with Cam than Hoyer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 pm As long as we’re not pretending BB would cut any unvaxxed player of any kind of serious value or even moderate value.

I’m not convinced Mac Jones is the second coming but it’s hard to argue there’s probably negligible difference as far as starting. I probably would have kept Cam over Brian Hoyer but ironically Cam’s deal meant if Jones gets injured it’s a lot more expensive to suck with Cam than Hoyer.
So, if Cam were vaccinated...would BB have seen the value in him being around to help Mac grow into a professional QB?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:41 pm
brian wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 pm As long as we’re not pretending BB would cut any unvaxxed player of any kind of serious value or even moderate value.

So, if Cam were vaccinated...would BB have seen the value in him being around to help Mac grow into a professional QB?
Hard to say. Cam had bonuses related to being on the roster each game if I’m not mistaken. More likely it was just cheaper to cut him regardless of whatever other reasoning. I think he probably would have been a serviceable backup but it’s a reasonable take they’re as well off with any replacement level QB backing up Jones.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 pmAs long as we’re not pretending BB would cut any unvaxxed player of any kind of serious value or even moderate value.
I think that depends, right? If a forfeit or even close contact concerns are enough to lose a game, you have to wonder how many players Belichick or other coaches would put a full win of value on, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.