Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by mister d »

Crack: Viewed 6 times

(Unbearably bad page flip but I'll respect it and not delete.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It was 23 years between the Fugees cover “Killing Me Softly” and Roberta Flack’s version.

It’s been 25 years (and counting) between the Fugees cover and now.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:45 am
A_B wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:30 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:09 pm I’m sure it won’t surprise you to learn that all my headphones and ear buds have cords and that I still use an iPhone 6.
This is irresponsible. For gods sake get a new phone.
You're doing fine, sancarlos. iPhone6 and wired earbuds, unite!
Hey, DSafe! If you are still rocking the iphone6, have also been having the very recent experience that most of your apps won’t update anymore?

(For those who may be wondering, it’s because Apple doesn’t include the iPhone 6 (and older) in their most recent software upgrades.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:20 pm It was 23 years between the Fugees cover “Killing Me Softly” and Roberta Flack’s version.

So you are saying Wheezer is lining up for a new release huh?
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:35 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:20 pm It was 23 years between the Fugees cover “Killing Me Softly” and Roberta Flack’s version.

So you are saying Wheezer is lining up for a new release huh?
Pun intended?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:58 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:45 amYou're doing fine, sancarlos. iPhone6 and wired earbuds, unite!
Hey, DSafe! If you are still rocking the iphone6, have also been having the very recent experience that most of your apps won’t update anymore?

(For those who may be wondering, it’s because Apple doesn’t include the iPhone 6 (and older) in their most recent software upgrades.)
Still using the same phone. I only update the apps I use with any regularity, which isn't many of them (I just updated two apps I may need next week due to some travel, leaving me with eight apps that need updated).

My primary complaint would be that their podcast app is garbage. Seems like half the time you pause a podcast for more than two minutes, you have to re-open the app and wait for it to get back to where you were when you paused.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:14 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:45 amYou're doing fine, sancarlos. iPhone6 and wired earbuds, unite!

Still using the same phone. I only update the apps I use with any regularity, which isn't many of them (I just updated two apps I may need next week due to some travel, leaving me with eight apps that need updated).

My primary complaint would be that their podcast app is garbage. Seems like half the time you pause a podcast for more than two minutes, you have to re-open the app and wait for it to get back to where you were when you paused.
Pocketcasts is fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I finally went from a 6 to a (used) XR last fall. I do miss the headphone jack but the extra battery life and smoother processing has been worth it to me.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:21 am

I finally went from a 6 to a (used) XR last fall. I do miss the headphone jack but the extra battery life and smoother processing has been worth it to me.
Funny, I just had to look at my phone to see if I have a jack (I don't). I ditched the 6 a year ago, the battery was completely shot. I did replace the battery on my son's 6 when it completely died. Only $50 at a local repair shop. SE is identical to the 6, but much faster and the new battery is a tremendous relief. I had to keep it plugged in most of the time, and using video or apps killed the battery.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:21 am

Funny, I just had to look at my phone to see if I have a jack (I don't). I ditched the 6 a year ago, the battery was completely shot. I did replace the battery on my son's 6 when it completely died. Only $50 at a local repair shop. SE is identical to the 6, but much faster and the new battery is a tremendous relief. I had to keep it plugged in most of the time, and using video or apps killed the battery.
I was replacing batteries for a couple years, but they never lasted as long as the new battery/phone has lasted.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got a haircut the other day. When I went to pay, the barber asked me if I needed the Senior (65+) discount.

Ouch...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Yeah, I need the senior discount. The see-in-yer ass in the parking lot discount!"

[immediately gets knocked out]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:22 pm I got a haircut the other day. When I went to pay, the barber asked me if I needed the Senior (65+) discount.

Ouch...
Ha.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And I hope you said fuck yeah.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Yet, nominated, but lost for "Best Alternative Video" that year (Jane's Addiction, "Been Caught Stealing").
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Chrissie Hynde 70 today

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm being told I have stray grays. But I plucked one and it just seems to be the way the light hits it more than anything. I have browning blonde hair with natural highlights, so they are tough to see.

I think I am losing melanin in my follicles though not quite yet, completely. I'll be 38 in a week and I'm absolutely amazed I didn't go gray 10 years ago with all the stress and bullshit I've dealt with.

Also, I'm finally at 20 years in service and I cannot wait to be a civilian again. First weekend of October next year is going to be so fun.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:45 pm I have browning blonde hair with natural highlights, so they are tough to see.
This sounds close to me. It's sort of the ideal color for covering gray. But then I see the clippings when I get my hair cut and it's jarring how gray they look.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Embrace it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We’ve got guys in here having heart attacks and then the youth crew comes in with “some of my light brown hair is even lighter brown these days”.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm We’ve got guys in here having heart attacks and then the youth crew comes in with “some of my light brown hair is even lighter brown these days”.
Wait til these brats get grey hairs elsewhere. Starts on the chest...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Like the song says, if it wasn't for gray hair, I wouldn't have no hair at all.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:58 am
mister d wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm We’ve got guys in here having heart attacks and then the youth crew comes in with “some of my light brown hair is even lighter brown these days”.
Started getting random gray chest hairs 10 years ago. Fortunately it hasn't spread from there.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

And goes up to the ears?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am
And goes up to the ears?
Via the sideburns, yes.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am
And goes up to the ears?
Yeah... ears.

One of my first jobs after university was at a hipster bookstore where the owner had a couple of thick grey hairs coming out of his nostrils... which he NEVER trimmed.

Who leaves the house like that?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:33 pmWho leaves the house like that?
Hypothetically speaking, someone who tries like hell to avoid looking at himself in the mirror.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

No seriously, what the hell is a Doja Cat?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heath Ledger of hip hop.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:58 pm Heath Ledger of hip hop.
OMG, you scared me. I thought she OD'd or something. Long live Doja Cat!

Heh, I looked up her song names, because a couple of her songs played constantly when my daughter made me listen to Hits One on Sirius, but I can't remember any of them. She has a song called "I Don't Do Drugs," so OD would be surprising, unless she is lying to all of us!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Flipped to the VMAs for 30 seconds or so last night and just the commercials made me feel old so I changed the channel back to NBC and the comfort of mocking Andy Dalton and the Bears.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

They still make music videos? And award shows for music videos? Do kids watch music videos? From watching my daughter’s viewing habits, music videos are limited to 10 seconds clips of her friends all doing the same dance some TikTok “star” created.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Madonna's butt is trending. So that doesn't make me feel young.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Is she wearing the Prince suit at the Met?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 pm Is she wearing the Prince suit at the Met?
something from the VMAs apparently last night? The VMAs are still a thing?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:27 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:00 pm Is she wearing the Prince suit at the Met?
something from the VMAs apparently last night? The VMAs are still a thing?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She's still so controversial!!!!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:23 am She's still so controversial!!!!
And so British!