Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:23 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:17 pm
brian wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:01 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm Reminiscence was a fine free watch at home movie. Interesting concept. Felt like they were going for a Blade Runner type vibe but won't be the classic that is (I think Blade Runner is overrated)..
The hell you say...
I agree with wlu_lax a little. It's still good, but it's mostly atmosphere and mood. This might be my first movie opinion dissent from brian.
Even then, I understand where you're coming from. I think I was lucky that I didn't even see Blade Runner until about five or six years ago. My opinion of it is helped by how accurate it was about a lot of early 21st century stuff and that it is much more emotional and atmospheric to borrow your description, which resonates more with me being middle-aged. If I had seen it first when I was 14, not sure the fate of the replicants would have been as heartbreaking as it was the first time I saw it.

Oh well, time to die.

ETA: Also, I saw the Final Cut version the first time instead of the original theatrical release cut and it's vastly, vastly superior in my opinion. By the way, the Final Cut version is available on HBOMax until the end of August.
Watched it again last week, and I did fall asleep for a bit. I feel like it was torn between being a SciFi drama and an action hero movie, and fell short on both counts. I liked the SciFi aspect, and I'm not big on SciFi. The atmosphere was extremely well done for the time, I just got really bored with Harrison Ford fighting the replicant in the cabaret dressing room and chasing her around. If they focused more on the emotional stuff I would have liked it more.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:24 am I had next to no expectations but it would have exceeded just about any I could have had short of proclaiming it an oscar winner. But who would do that for a Marvel movie?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wife, daughter and I were in the mood for a stupid comedy and Vacation Friends sure is dumb.

But I had a few good laughs and Meredith Hagner is hilarious.

And John Cena is really, really good in this kind of movie. The guy can sell almost anything.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For the first time in a long time I went to the movie theater. It was myself, my wife, and a friend. We went to Road House Cinemas here locally. It's the combo of dine-in and watch a movie that's become popular. https://roadhousecinemas.com/

We saw Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds. Goofy movie, but entertaining. It isn't winning any awards, but I liked it. And wouldn't you know, it was filmed in Boston and REVEAHHHH a couple summers back.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We thought about watching the Aretha Franklin bio-pic last night, but then we saw it was $20 to rent (what the hell?) so we watched the 'Amazing Grace' documentary on Hulu instead. And it was great!

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:24 am Watched Shang Chi last night. I was really impressed. Little bit of marvel, little bit of harry potter, little bit of LOTR. Little bit of mulan. Hit me in the sweet spot.

I had next to no expectations but it would have exceeded just about any I could have had short of proclaiming it an oscar winner. But who would do that for a Marvel movie?
Got out to see it today and...co-sign! It was fantastic. Had no expectations, didn't know any of the story ahead of time, just went to enjoy the ride. Really, really excellent. Fun even.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:41 am For the first time in a long time I went to the movie theater. It was myself, my wife, and a friend. We went to Road House Cinemas here locally. It's the combo of dine-in and watch a movie that's become popular. https://roadhousecinemas.com/

We saw Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds. Goofy movie, but entertaining. It isn't winning any awards, but I liked it. And wouldn't you know, it was filmed in Boston and REVEAHHHH a couple summers back.
Free Guy was genuinely fun as well.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's actually a really neat concept for a movie too.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:30 pm It's actually a really neat concept for a movie too.
aye.

This was a pretty great read about it - you might enjoy:

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/8 ... -lieberman
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So…I was pretty happy to see the trailer and am all in.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm totally in.

Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Man, I was really let down by 2 and 3. To the point that I've never really revisited them. Guess I can give them a shot again at some point.

The trailer did look good.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

2 and 3 didn't bother me nearly as much as it did some people. I liked the original for three main reasons: 1) incredible visual style, 2) amazing action sequences, 3) a very cool idea/story. The second two movies kind of fell apart on the story (mostly the last one), but they still looked great and had great action. They were fun and dumb while the first one seemed fun and smart (other than the whole idea of using humans as batteries, which is pretty dumb from a thermodynamics perspective).
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt like by 3, the fun was long gone. And I can live with dumb, but those movies were never trying to be dumb.

Again, maybe a rewatch would be meaningful. I'm definitely not taking shit like the Matrix as seriously as I would have mid-2000s (not that I was ever an angry dude on the internet over such shit) so maybe I could enjoy them more now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 am Man, I was really let down by 2 and 3. To the point that I've never really revisited them. Guess I can give them a shot again at some point.

I loved the first one, but 2 was so bad I never watched 3. Is the new one a reboot of the story, or a sequel? How did the trilogy end, did they defeat the Matrix and return to the real world and all take blue pills to forget, or did they lose and take blue pills to not remember and bliss out? Trying to understand the world the new movie takes place in.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I always felt like all three of them went over my head a little (the original less so), but I rewatched the first one a few weeks back with my oldest and it was better than I'd remembered. Going to try and rewatch the trilogy and avoid the trailer for this one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am So…I was pretty happy to see the trailer and am all in.
I've thought on it, re-watched it, and switch from all in to ALL THE WAY FUCKING IN.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:01 pm
rass wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 am Man, I was really let down by 2 and 3. To the point that I've never really revisited them. Guess I can give them a shot again at some point.

I loved the first one, but 2 was so bad I never watched 3. Is the new one a reboot of the story, or a sequel? How did the trilogy end, did they defeat the Matrix and return to the real world and all take blue pills to forget, or did they lose and take blue pills to not remember and bliss out? Trying to understand the world the new movie takes place in.
This was my experience. #2 was maybe the worst movie experience of my life with it being about 4 hours after the permanent end of a relationship I did not want to end.

That said, I'm going to watch them all again before this one because it looks damn good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Huh. I didn't hate 2 at all. Now 3 was pretty disappointing from a story standpoint, but still had great action. But 2...good lord there were some amazing set pieces in that one. The freeway scene was unreal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:01 pm

This was my experience. #2 was maybe the worst movie experience of my life with it being about 4 hours after the permanent end of a relationship I did not want to end.

That said, I'm going to watch them all again before this one because it looks damn good.
Same (minus the personal drama). I actually fell asleep in the theater like 2/3rds through #2 and never saw #3. But all three are on HBOMax right now, so I'll probably watch them and watch this new one when it comes out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Just putting it out there that I have never seen any of them.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

duff wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:03 pm Just putting it out there that I have never seen any of them.
Same.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 pm Huh. I didn't hate 2 at all. Now 3 was pretty disappointing from a story standpoint, but still had great action. But 2...good lord there were some amazing set pieces in that one. The freeway scene was unreal.
The freeway scene stands out as the moment I gave up on 2. I saw it in a theater and was excited for it. Action was great, but it just went on forever, to the point I stopped caring about the movie and just wanted them to end the fucking scene and move on. I was much more into 1 for the story and the mindfuck. The special effects were absolutely insane for the time, hell I bet they still hold up today, but special effects without story aren't going to keep my attention. I don't even remember any of the story in 2, just a visceral feeling of how much I hated the movie, how I was bored and wishing it would end while I was watching, and being really disappointed. When friends told me 3 sucked, I decided not to watch it.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I remember thinking just how dumb the first one looked. I was dragged to see it and mind blown.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Also it came out at that key time where effects were starting to get good but movies weren't yet sacrificing story and completely leaning on them.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

One thing that will always make me chuckle is the fucking incel cons always spouting about “the Red Pill”, completely lost on them that the story was written and directed by two trans women. Just like they love to use the term “snowflake” from Fight Club, completely missing that the book was written by a gay author as a spoof.

As for the movies, I was blown away by the first, moderately disappointed while still appreciating the second, and was completely checked out watching the third.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:21 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 pm Huh. I didn't hate 2 at all. Now 3 was pretty disappointing from a story standpoint, but still had great action. But 2...good lord there were some amazing set pieces in that one. The freeway scene was unreal.
The freeway scene stands out as the moment I gave up on 2.
For me it was the Rave/Orgy scene. At that point I just was like 'ok...whatever'. Never bothered to see the 3rd one.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:40 am
A good laugh at 7:00 am is a great way to start the day!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the Go-Go's documentary on my flight yesterday. It was pretty good. Had no idea that Charlotte Caffey (the guitarist/songwriter) was dealing with a major heroin addiction during their glory years.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:57 am I watched the Go-Go's documentary on my flight yesterday. It was pretty good. Had no idea that Charlotte Caffey (the guitarist/songwriter) was dealing with a major heroin addiction during their glory years.
I liked that doc. I also recently read bassist Kathy Valentine's autobiography. Makes a good companion piece.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Mailgnant on HBO max was surprisingly good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:01 pm Mailgnant on HBO max was surprisingly good.
I’ve thought more about this and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s really more of a thriller than horror so don’t be scared. Heh.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:02 am
A_B wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:01 pm Mailgnant on HBO max was surprisingly good.
I’ve thought more about this and I can’t recommend it enough. It’s really more of a thriller than horror so don’t be scared. Heh.
Kind of like that other new movie, but more focused on the horrors that Louis DeJoy is visiting on the US Postal Service?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So as to not further deface the Norm MacDonald thread, if you're interested in more "Courtney Thorne-Smith in her prime (1990) acting on a beach" movies for emailing or otherwise, I recommend "Side Out".

I do not recommend this movie for anything else other than a "Swamp Movie Night with C. Thomas Howell" recommendation because it's just as ludicrous as you think, and possibly more.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am So as to not further deface the Norm MacDonald thread, if you're interested in more "Courtney Thorne-Smith in her prime (1990) acting on a beach" movies for emailing or otherwise, I recommend "Side Out".

I do not recommend this movie for anything else other than a "Swamp Movie Night with C. Thomas Howell" recommendation because it's just as ludicrous as you think, and possibly more.
One of my college roommates loved this movie. He was obsessed with C. Thomas Howell in a straight guy man crush kind of way.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

How did this not win an Oscar? Was it even nominated?

-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am I recommend "Side Out".

Just tried to read the Wiki synopsis which just might be the worst written thing on the Internet.

I was a big fan of Summer School and CTS in a Body Glove wet suit.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am So as to not further deface the Norm MacDonald thread, if you're interested in more "Courtney Thorne-Smith in her prime (1990) acting on a beach" movies for emailing or otherwise, I recommend "Side Out".

One of my college roommates loved this movie. He was obsessed with C. Thomas Howell in a straight guy man crush kind of way.
While I didn't "love" this movie, I do remember it more than you'd think one should given the quality (it's bad.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:59 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 am

While I didn't "love" this movie, I do remember it more than you'd think one should given the quality (it's bad.)
In fairness, he loved it because it was so bad.
-Pruitt