2021 NFL Season Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: 2021 NFL Season Thread

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:03 am Burrow or Mayfield today?
Feels like mayfield is safer, burrow more potential upside
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:03 am Burrow or Mayfield today?
Draft better.

I’d say Burrow, I think Cleveland is going to be the runningest team in the NFL.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

For fuck’s sake, Falcons. Go for the TD on 4th inside the 5 in the first quarter.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I can’t believe the Washington Washingtons still haven’t picked a name.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Carolina already in tank mode.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Belichick doesn’t miss often when he lets a young guy walk, but oh man he was wrong with Chandler Jones:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The weird glare of the stadium is going to cost the Falcons points here, isn’t it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Urban might quit today.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Has CBS updated all of their fonts or did I miss this last year? Looks like the same font used in a gentrified neighborhood.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Scott Hanson went silent for 5 minutes and I was legitimately worried for his health.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:54 pm Week 1 is just based on my inputs, so it's pretty much meaningless.
Your predictions seem pretty spot-on to me.

Which, of course, means you'll do horribly.

Every year I nail the score of the week 1 Chargers game. It's an annual tradition. Well, it's happened twice but whatever.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Aaron Rodgers going out with a whimper is more than I will allow myself to hope for.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:08 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 am is everything ok?
He's fine, not having a meltdown over trivial nonsense at all.
So if this was all a joke, then you and Giff were in on the gaslighting?

High five?

Are you 12 years old?

ETA: Just so we’re clear here. I (apparently) whiffed at an attempt at sarcasm. But you and Giff gleefully piled on, which says more about you than it does me. Soak in that, but somehow I don’t think you give a crap anyway.

This is the guy that told me to put the shovel down, as he bores a hole directly into the center of the Earth.

It's not a joke. TB thought that this was another stupidly overspecified stat, and I agreed. This however was apparently an all-out assault on all that you think is good and pure in this world. I wrongly suggested that an interception on a halftime hail mary that doesn't get returned for a TD is essentially meaningless when in reality it....I don't know but it's hugely important.

And no, we are not clear, because I have no idea what the hell you're even talking about in your ETA section. You seem like a normal, well-adjusted person.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:39 pm Aaron Rodgers going out with a whimper is more than I will allow myself to hope for.
I am not discounting the joking thought that he is just petty enough to tank the season and his trade value and then pop up somewhere else next year for a 4th and go back to normal...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

the mahomes guy seems like he might have a future.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't know what that last throw was by Mayfield but pretty impressive showing from the Browns.

I keep looking at the Jameis Winston numbers and it looks like a mistake. Basically did a 38 year old Drew Brees impression?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

David Montgomery is under-rated, I think.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:38 pm I don't know what that last throw was by Mayfield but pretty impressive showing from the Browns.

I keep looking at the Jameis Winston numbers and it looks like a mistake. Basically did a 38 year old Drew Brees impression?
Eh he got tripped up. Sucked for sure. But a good measuring stick.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Solak on same wavelength as I was earlier in the thread...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:37 pm David Montgomery is under-rated, I think.
Never mind. Goddamn injuries
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He’s back in. Phew
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Why would Nagy accept a penalty that would've brought up 4th and 5 and instead gave Stafford 3rd and 13, which of course they converted?
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reaper wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 pm Why would Nagy accept a penalty that would've brought up 4th and 5 and instead gave Stafford 3rd and 13, which of course they converted?
He’s not a good coach.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

First time in a while that I have questions about the Bills' coaching.

Just one game, but they got destroyed in the second half.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:39 pm Aaron Rodgers going out with a whimper is more than I will allow myself to hope for.
I think this has all the hallmarks of a guy that really probably didn't get ready like usual. And he'll be fire for the rest of the season. Admittedly that game was on my second screen so I didn't play close attention. Was too busy knowing exactly what was going to happen with my team, but holding out hope because my college team found a way to hold on the night before.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Mac Jones was real solid. Everything looked pretty good except the backs fumbles. Definitely the way belichick wants to do it. They were more than fortunate with the refs and can't expect that every time out but Mac looks like the answer. On time. On time. On time. Loved it. I know he's talented but no clue why more guys don't do that. Just let it go on time. Solves so many problems but tons of NFL qbs still want to see it open first.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probably just need a TE like Cam Newton to pull the entire offense together.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:01 am Mac Jones was real solid. Everything looked pretty good except the backs fumbles. Definitely the way belichick wants to do it. They were more than fortunate with the refs and can't expect that every time out but Mac looks like the answer. On time. On time. On time. Loved it. I know he's talented but no clue why more guys don't do that. Just let it go on time. Solves so many problems but tons of NFL qbs still want to see it open first.
Perhaps because it's a skill and not just like a decision that all QBs conciously make? Just a thought.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:45 am First time in a while that I have questions about the Bills' coaching.

Just one game, but they got destroyed in the second half.
Aside from the extremely odd short yardage calls that they made all game, I think 2nd half was just about the Bills not executing on offense (I know that it is cliche) and Diontae Johnson returning to the game. He's the only reason the offense even functions on a near-competent level.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Why I said he's talented but you can train that. Seems like it should be #1 #2 and #3 priority for a qb. Yet probably most guys can't do it. Almost all mental. Not like being 6'5" with a cannon. You either have that or you dont. Study up and see it quicker.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 pm I can’t believe the Washington Washingtons still haven’t picked a name.
That is because you are not located in the DMV.
1.) WFT and the Snyders botch everything
2.) Last week's big story is Mrs. Snyder who is supposed to be in charge (danny boy is suspended due to the fiasco with the cheerleader photo shoot) got bungled up in an interview
3.) They are trying to figure out how to make this a thing..but whatever it is will end up being a problem.
4.) Red Wolves keeps running away fan polls.

I think the Guardians mistakes have slowed them too.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I never realized what kind of a piece of garbage Taylor Lewan was until the article today in Defector on Chandler Jones eviscerating him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Is there some local significance to the red wolf? I don’t hate it, just surprised that it would be very popular.

Makes me think of Red Bulls, personally.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was anything but an anxious child but your avatar used to drive me insane.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:49 am Why I said he's talented but you can train that. Seems like it should be #1 #2 and #3 priority for a qb. Yet probably most guys can't do it. Almost all mental. Not like being 6'5" with a cannon. You either have that or you dont. Study up and see it quicker.
It's weird how easy you think much of playing and coaching in the NFL is. Why doesn't everyone just train hard and all become Bill Belichick and Tom Brady? It's extremely New England. We're just scrappy guys outworking other teams out there!

Study up and see it quicker doesn't mean study up and become NFL-level elite. QB has long been such a difficult position to fill (less so recently with rule changes and offenses that lessen the requirements that you describe) because this is not just something that you can "study up" on and become NFL-level elite. So either there is skill and reaction time and processing capacity inherent to a large degree of this OR you just cracked the code and previously nobody had thought to get good at beating defenses mentally.

The kids who become NFL QBs had priorities other than processing speed, particularly these days. That's certainly a likely aspect of it. So you've got coaches who are trying to fit athletes like Carson Wentz into QB spots. But really, you're probably working with:

#1 - without a really good (relative to normal athletes) arm you aren't even sniffing QB at any point.

#2 - can you do all of this under pressure. I bet there are QBs who dice up 7 on 7s but just wilt whenever a defense is coming at them and you can't study your way out of that.

#3 - Reaction time. You can wrap processing into this. My reaction time is probably much worse than people would guess and while maybe I can improve it a bit I can't make it as fast as Odell Beckham's.

For real though, what do you think QBs are working on in the NFL if not processing NFL defenses? You've got guys like Mike Vick who will say themselves that they didn't take it seriously enough but do you think most QBs just don't work on this at all? I'll bet you that Mason Rudolph tries to improve at reading NFL defenses and beating them. But it's just going to make him a slightly better backup.

Mac Jones came into college doing this. That's why New England drafted him so high. While I'm sure he works on it a lot, he's obviously got natural gifts at quickly reading and processing what he sees and then taking action. How would your analysis of a young QB in his very first NFL start doing what you want all QBs to do lead you to think that it's not largely an inherent skill?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Allen Robinson's route tree from last night makes me sad.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm Belichick doesn’t miss often when he lets a young guy walk, but oh man he was wrong with Chandler Jones:

Jones wasn't going to get paid by the Pats. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch him with the Cards, but he used to give up plays because he was trying to get a sack on every play.

(Plus he got so fucked up on synthetic pot he turned himself in...before a playoff game.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm Belichick doesn’t miss often when he lets a young guy walk, but oh man he was wrong with Chandler Jones:

Jones wasn't going to get paid by the Pats. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch him with the Cards, but he used to give up plays because he was trying to get a sack on every play.

(Plus he got so fucked up on synthetic pot he turned himself in...before a playoff game.)
He's been the best pass rusher in the NFL over the past five years.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:07 am Allen Robinson's route tree from last night makes me sad.

Nagy is gonna coast forever on knowing Andy Reid and making it to a wild card game.