2021 NFL Season Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: 2021 NFL Season Thread

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 amJones wasn't going to get paid by the Pats. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch him with the Cards, but he used to give up plays because he was trying to get a sack on every play.

(Plus he got so fucked up on synthetic pot he turned himself in...before a playoff game.)
Betts wasn't going to get paid by the Red Sox. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch the Dodgers, but his OBP was really only elite twice over five full seasons in Boston.

(Plus his playoff numbers were pretty awful. And he's a black dude.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm
Reaper wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:54 pm Why would Nagy accept a penalty that would've brought up 4th and 5 and instead gave Stafford 3rd and 13, which of course they converted?
He’s not a good coach.
Nagy's playcalling led to this passing breakdown from Dalton:

Please note that the one pass to the right side of the field more than ten yards downfield was a 12-yard out route on 4th-and-15. The Bears brought in Marquis Goodwin, Damiere Byrd, and Breshad Perriman to improve the speed among their WR corps. And all they do is run short routes and get tackled after making the catch. Well, Perriman will do that once he's up to speed (ha ha) and active for games.

When rosters were cut to 53 following training camp, the Bears had the league's oldest roster, which most talent evaluators had among the bottom quarter of the league, and most projection systems have them facing one of the two toughest schedules this season (AFC North, NFC West, and Buccaneers all appear on it).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. A large number of these guys arent bright. Square peg in round hole because they have the other necessary physical attributes. And yes of those that have the gifts physical or mental or both must be willing to stare down a gun barrel repeatedly. But I don't think it's reaction time or that reaction time can't be taught. It's mostly anticipation. Yeah maybe someone is quicker but mechanics probably impact release time more than reaction.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:08 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 am is everything ok?
He's fine, not having a meltdown over trivial nonsense at all.
So if this was all a joke, then you and Giff were in on the gaslighting?

High five?

Are you 12 years old?

ETA: Just so we’re clear here. I (apparently) whiffed at an attempt at sarcasm. But you and Giff gleefully piled on, which says more about you than it does me. Soak in that, but somehow I don’t think you give a crap anyway.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 am
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 amJones wasn't going to get paid by the Pats. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch him with the Cards, but he used to give up plays because he was trying to get a sack on every play.

(Plus he got so fucked up on synthetic pot he turned himself in...before a playoff game.)
Betts wasn't going to get paid by the Red Sox. They knew he was good, but were gonna let someone else pay for him. I don't watch the Dodgers, but his OBP was really only elite twice over five full seasons in Boston.

(Plus his playoff numbers were pretty awful. And he's a black dude.)
Ahh. Now that’s the Delaware we all know and begrudgingly tolerate.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't think Mac Jones is some sort of unique mind though the gpa make you wonder. Do think he probably put in 5x the hours on that aspect as other draftees. Partly because he was in school longer and partly because he couldn't rely on/highlight running tools. Burrow maybe an example of experience and time in pro style offenses.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm waiting for my flight in the Salt Lake Airport, and the next gate over is a flight going to Vegas. The number of Raiders jerseys getting on that flight is staggering.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:51 am Don't think Mac Jones is some sort of unique mind though the gpa make you wonder. Do think he probably put in 5x the hours on that aspect as other draftees. Partly because he was in school longer and partly because he couldn't rely on/highlight running tools. Burrow maybe an example of experience and time in pro style offenses.
It's not just GPA/standard intelligence IMO - I mean, Ryan Fitzpatrick still does things that make you think that he's probably illiterate. There is a reaction and vision component to this.

He was also not in college longer than any of the other draftees and he's not a bad athlete. There are all kinds of QBs in college who aren't elite athletes but only a select, select few of them become Joe Burrow and Mac Jones. Also, Justin Fields steadily improved at this as he went through OSU. Lamar Jackson improved leaps and bounds every year. Josh Allen in the NFL as well. But none of them are even close to a guy like Joe Burrow, who most likely didn't get to that point just because he realized it was important and watched some extra film.

One of the best QBs I've seen at this in that last decade was pre-injury Teddy Bridgewater. But people would never have guessed because he wasn't out dicing teams up like Brady and Manning.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And really - what are the super impressive throws from that game that you think only guys like Mac Jones that study can make? I'll bet whatever throw you find I can find Dwayne Haskins or Brock Osweiler making a similar one. It's about doing it consistently, having good timing, being accurate and all kinds of other things.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not the throws at all. Maybe the accuracy. More the timing and awareness. Easy one but he saw the left corner blitz after the safety or linebacker feigned presnap and then he immediately went behind the blitzer for 4-5 yards. Immediate. On time. No hesitation. And he did redshirt at bama so not sure all these guys have four years in program.

I agree that it's not necessarily book smarts. Helps to retain the playbook so you can anticipate based on down distance, defensive trends, personnel etc but even guys that can't get a 4.0 might be able to train and retain the visual cues that allow you to read/react more quickly.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 pm Not the throws at all. Maybe the accuracy. More the timing and awareness. Easy one but he saw the left corner blitz after the safety or linebacker feigned presnap and then he immediately went behind the blitzer for 4-5 yards. Immediate. On time. No hesitation. And he did redshirt at bama so not sure all these guys have four years in program.

I agree that it's not necessarily book smarts. Helps to retain the playbook so you can anticipate based on down distance, defensive trends, personnel etc but even guys that can't get a 4.0 might be able to train and retain the visual cues that allow you to read/react more quickly.
If you're taking a break from chiseling Mac Jones' Hall of Fame plaque, take a moment to wish Patriots assistant coach Matt Patricia a happy birthday today!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Right now guy is looking kinda like a right hand man that gets the team in some years tbh
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:06 pm Right now guy is looking kinda like a right hand man that gets the team in some years tbh
Nothing would surprise me. He seemed overmatched in the top job in Detroit but that job has broken better men than Patricia so….
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Um...I will assume this is a joke? Even Meyer wouldn't...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Please, please, please….
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You bet your ass he would.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Marcus mariota is questionable to return with a concussion. One play big game head slammed into turf.

This is not official reporting but dang that guy gets hurt a lot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 pm You bet your ass he would.
I mean. Even for him. EVEN for him....
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I get the feeling this Under Armour-sponsored Brady documentary is not going to be a critical one
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You guys watching Peyton and Eli on ESPN2 do their commentary during the game?

Just turned it on and they have Ray Lewis as a guest with them.

The production needs to work out the kinks though. You can audibly hear when producers are throwing it to commercial.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm not sure Eli has stopped doing the Manning Face since I tuned in.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 pm You guys watching Peyton and Eli on ESPN2 do their commentary during the game?

Just turned it on and they have Ray Lewis as a guest with them.

The production needs to work out the kinks though. You can audibly hear when producers are throwing it to commercial.
I’m flipping back and forth. It has been intermittently entertaining
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This scared the crap out of my dog. And I couldn’t figure out what was going on.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Not for nothing, but the Manning cast for 4th quarter and OT was extremely money.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just like you expect...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Having Russell Wilson on the Manning cast when the goal line snafu and then INT happened was amazing...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm I'm not sure Eli has stopped doing the Manning Face since I tuned in.
Had an argument here once with someone about whether there really is a Manning face, and fuck whoever that was.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

hard not to wonder if the ravens win that game with just 20% cover 2/3/anything other than straight up cover 0 in the fourth quarter and ot
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Doesn't take long for the new guys to figure it out (last sentence of the quote).

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:44 pm I'm not sure Eli has stopped doing the Manning Face since I tuned in.
Had an argument here once with someone about whether there really is a Manning face, and fuck whoever that was.
Which side were you on? Honest question.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm
rass wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 am
Which side were you on? Honest question.
Yes there is a discernible Manning face
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:57 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:08 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:48 am is everything ok?
He's fine, not having a meltdown over trivial nonsense at all.
So if this was all a joke, then you and Giff were in on the gaslighting?

High five?

Are you 12 years old?

ETA: Just so we’re clear here. I (apparently) whiffed at an attempt at sarcasm. But you and Giff gleefully piled on, which says more about you than it does me. Soak in that, but somehow I don’t think you give a crap anyway.

This is the guy that told me to put the shovel down, as he bores a hole directly into the center of the Earth.

It's not a joke. TB thought that this was another stupidly overspecified stat, and I agreed. This however was apparently an all-out assault on all that you think is good and pure in this world. I wrongly suggested that an interception on a halftime hail mary that doesn't get returned for a TD is essentially meaningless when in reality it....I don't know but it's hugely important.

And no, we are not clear, because I have no idea what the hell you're even talking about in your ETA section. You seem like a normal, well-adjusted person.
Go back and read it.

TB thought this was another stupidly overspecified stat?
tennbengal wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:09 am
Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:38 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 pm
Talk about finding obscure stats in an attempt to wow...

How about, that was Tom Brady's 50th (possibly) career game winning drive?

I love sports stats, but septic tanks, as per usual, have to take it too far.
Weird, I don't find that one too obscure. That's a ton of turnover and penalties overcome.
You then asked a question about how many games it occurred in, to which Brian proffered an answer of probably several hundred times.

Help me understand what the hell you're talking about?
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Swipe through. 😂😂😂

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 pm
I’m fantasizing about Bezos buying the Broncos in a parallel universe where the NFL does not have a salary cap and the league operates like the Premiership. Bezos (and his checkbook) could turn them into Man City in no time!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jay Z is also rumored to be in the running as well.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:29 pm

Go back and read it.

TB thought this was another stupidly overspecified stat?

Oh wow, it was Tom and not TB. I am so sorry for putting you through this, I can't imagine how difficult this ordeal must have been for you and your family.

You then asked a question about how many games it occurred in, to which Brian proffered an answer of probably several hundred times.

Help me understand what the hell you're talking about?
OH MY GOD I QUESTIONED THE FREQUENCY THAT IT HAPPENED PLEASE FORGIVE ME

Two things:

1. What if it only happened about 8 times in reality. Does that take any precedence over the 100 that Brian assumed or are we sticking with the 100?

2. WHO CARES

Is your contention that I shouldn't post anything you interpret to be posted just for the sake of contrarianism? Is that your actual contention here?