Jeeves Don't Squat - Workout Headphones

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Jeeves Don't Squat - Workout Headphones

Post by Shirley »

Several years ago, my wife bought me an iPod Shuffle and these awesome cordless headphones - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, Monster stopped making those and mine have finally broken beyond repair.

What do you fellers use for workout headphones? I'm not really a big fan of cables or ear buds while I'm working out - they either fall out on their own or I yank them out accidentally.

Ideally, I'd like another wireless set, but I don't know if there are good ones for the shuffle. My iPhone can use Bluetooth, but I don't know if I want to work out with my phone. If that's your suggestion, how do you hold onto your phone (arm strap, pocket, etc.)?
Totally Kafkaesque
ZMan
Brandt

Re: Jeeves Don't Squat - Workout Headphones

Post by ZMan »

I bought a pair of shitty $5 headphones from Modells for working out. (I scraped the equally shitty Jets logo off on the sidewalk).

I figured with all the sweat pouring off me I don't want to ruin anything worthwhile. So the cheapest won.

eta: I just noticed your comments about cords. Yeah, $5 = corded. I run the cord up under my shirt to reduce pulls, and just make sure I'm not resting on it before starting an exercise.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I don't work out with headphones, sorry.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I don't have an issue working out or running with wired headphones. I usually get the $10/$15 ones at Target that are earbuds, but which have a clip to go around your ear to stay in place. Had pretty good luck with those.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My pre-iPhone5 headphones keep slipping out of my ears when I run. Maybe I'm just too fast?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I had the same problem with buds falling out. Then I read about yurbuds. Have loved them. I am also very hard on headphones so I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money. I got a pair of theses for about 20 dollars. They are great. Fit really well. I have heard really good things about Jay Birds if you want to go wireless. I am too cheap to go wireless.

http://yurbuds.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a fan of the adidas/sennheiser ones. They are made to water resistant, but not a fan because one ear would die off really fast (probably a wire problem from use).

Also if you want a pair for more style reasons and sound quality, the company my cousin founded makes nice ones, but not designed for working out. http://www.aerial7.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have weird earholes with the added benefit of sweating profusely when I workout. Earbuds fall out. The sports ear buds with the "over the ear" support fall out. Half the time one slips out due to the excessive sweat while the other stays in place. I've tried nearly everything minimalist I could.

You know what I settled on? The piece of shit Koss $10 "wrap behind the head" headphones. These.

I had to flip them upside down, mind you because of my weird earholes. The plastic has enough retention to keep them in place and they don't fall out. Plus I can grab them, wipe off my earsweat, readjust, and continue running.

Everything else I've ever used has sucked tremendously by comparison.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shortly after I posted, I found these on Amazon - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They weren't there a couple of months ago when I did a similar search. Basically, these are wrap-around headphones that go around the back of your head. The iPod Shuffle attaches to one of the earpieces, so there are no wires at all. That's very similar to what I had before and pretty much exactly what I wanted. Hopefully they work well.

I'm still curious about what all of you guys do with your devices when you use regular earbuds with wires. Where do you put your device? Do you use your phone?
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I buy MP3 players based on size for that. My Samsung had a clip for my waistband of my running shorts. The MotoACTV I use now has the same. The wired aspect doesn't bother me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:Shortly after I posted, I found these on Amazon - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They weren't there a couple of months ago when I did a similar search. Basically, these are wrap-around headphones that go around the back of your head. The iPod Shuffle attaches to one of the earpieces, so there are no wires at all. That's very similar to what I had before and pretty much exactly what I wanted. Hopefully they work well.

I'm still curious about what all of you guys do with your devices when you use regular earbuds with wires. Where do you put your device? Do you use your phone?
Yeah, I have an iPod Shuffle, which is basically the size of a quarter. It just clips on wherever.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Earbuds with larger, squishee, rubber ear fitting pieces work great for me and stay in for workouts. I never spend more than $10 on earphones. Maybe $15 if I need them and I am out so I can't order them online from dealextreme or e-bay or something, because I lose them or the kids break them.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This was posted a week or so ago
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-be ... eadphones/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote:Shortly after I posted, I found these on Amazon - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use a black neoprene armband. I googled iphone workout case, and chose the highest rated.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

I just slide my regular belt clip over the waistband of my shorts. I started using my iPod, but it's an oldie, and the battery life is horrendous. Now I just use my phone.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: I'm still curious about what all of you guys do with your devices when you use regular earbuds with wires. Where do you put your device? Do you use your phone?

for my old school ipod I had a case that clipped onto my wasteband or pocket. That could get annoying at times, depending on what I was doing. Now I listen to an ipod touch, and when I am running on a machine, I leave the ipod on the machine in a cup holder or a tray made for an ipod. While doing weights, I leave it in a pocket. Wires don't get in the way.
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Shirley wrote:I'm still curious about what all of you guys do with your devices when you use regular earbuds with wires. Where do you put your device? Do you use your phone?
I don't frequent gyms. Almost never go. My workouts are almost exclusively distance running (which I've been doing more of now than in years). I have a small iPod holder which looks like a belt with inch-wide adjustable nylon straps, found it at a thrift store years ago, and it has a small iPod/cellphone pouch on the back (there's two thin compartments separated by a little nylon wall; the whole thing has a flap that velcros over it making it rain-proof) and it snaps together in the front with a plastic snap buckle. I run the iPod wire up the back of my shirt so all of the slack is just loose but being inside of clothing the wire is confined and doesn't move at all. Completely unobtrusive. Highly recommended. Works like a charm.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Scottie wrote:
Shirley wrote:I'm still curious about what all of you guys do with your devices when you use regular earbuds with wires. Where do you put your device? Do you use your phone?
I don't frequent gyms. Almost never go. My workouts are almost exclusively distance running (which I've been doing more of now than in years). I have a small iPod holder which looks like a belt with inch-wide adjustable nylon straps, found it at a thrift store years ago, and it has a small iPod/cellphone pouch on the back (there's two thin compartments separated by a little nylon wall; the whole thing has a flap that velcros over it making it rain-proof) and it snaps together in the front with a plastic snap buckle. I run the iPod wire up the back of my shirt so all of the slack is just loose but being inside of clothing the wire is confined and doesn't move at all. Completely unobtrusive. Highly recommended. Works like a charm.
I've tried the cord up the back of the shirt, but it always ends up pulling the buds out of my ears.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Saw a positive review about this product for the cord challenge
http://www.klingg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Need a new sweatproof, blue-tooth, listening device, for running, preferably 'buds over 'phones. I've gone through too many pairs in the past two years, ranging from obviously cheap knock-offs from Amazon up to brand names with actual customer service (Skullcandy) and all of them have eventually stopped taking a charge. So I'm willing to pay more for something that will last, so longevity is the main concern here over sound quality or whatever else. Recommendations?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 pm Need a new sweatproof, blue-tooth, listening device, for running, preferably 'buds over 'phones. I've gone through too many pairs in the past two years, ranging from obviously cheap knock-offs from Amazon up to brand names with actual customer service (Skullcandy) and all of them have eventually stopped taking a charge. So I'm willing to pay more for something that will last, so longevity is the main concern here over sound quality or whatever else. Recommendations?
Anker. Best headphones I have ever had for exercise. Sweat proof, fit well, variety of styles. I use the liberty neos. They are more than a year old and holding on strong. Fair price.
https://www.anker.com/ca/products/taxons/113/audio
p.s. I sweat small lakes.
p.p.s. F' Jaybirds..over priced crap quality.
Last edited by wlu_lax6 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I swear by my Trekz, especially for runs, as you can still hear cars coming. I had a pair go out on me after a couple years, and let them know and they sent me two replacement pairs (on accident, I'm pretty sure).
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:09 pm Need a new sweatproof, blue-tooth, listening device, for running, preferably 'buds over 'phones. I've gone through too many pairs in the past two years, ranging from obviously cheap knock-offs from Amazon up to brand names with actual customer service (Skullcandy) and all of them have eventually stopped taking a charge. So I'm willing to pay more for something that will last, so longevity is the main concern here over sound quality or whatever else. Recommendations?
I have some from Movone that I've used on the treadmill for about 3 months. Can't speak to longevity, but they sound decent and mostly stay in place. Have to adjust one a couple of times over 35 minutes or so.

Was going to post a link, but they are apparently no longer available on Amazon. So not too helpful I guess.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I've used these for maybe 4 years. Beat em up quite a bit, still take a charge. Good product for the price point.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I went cheap because I used to lose or break earbuds, but I've been rocking these since 2017, and they still work great. Never slip, and I'm sweaty and never had a problem wearing them working out or mowing the lawn. Hold charge for a very long time. I broke a pair very early on, I dropped them getting out of the car without realizing it, then ran them over when I backed out. Bought a second pair, still work great and hold charge.

-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I wish ear buds actually stayed in my ears when I ran. Even when sitting around doing nothing they fall out. It's the way my ear makes ear wax. I hate it.

Then when I work out I sweat heavily and that includes my ear holes. So I'm left with the cheapo $20 headphones that I have to keep tapping or take out as I'm running to wipe off the sweat.

I'd look into the bone conduction ones but of course iTunes doesn't like to recognize my way too outdated iPod Nano anymore and I just bought some basic ass Sony recently.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks everyone (even phxgators).

Think I may go with an open ear/bone-conducting pair from the brand chedda recommended. Something completely different and hits a higher price point so therefore a guaranteed uptick in quality (right??).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

What's the difference between "price point" and "price"?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:45 pm What's the difference between "price point" and "price"?
I don't fucking know, steve.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:54 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:45 pm What's the difference between "price point" and "price"?
It does make you sound classier.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I typed that because I had in my head it sounded different than just saying I wanted to pay more. I did want to pay more, but for something considered to be worth more money of quality or brand or something. Googling the actual definition right now I'm not sure if I completely misused it or not.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I have a cheap pair of bone conduction ones for walking the dog and they're great. they have to be charged regularly -- battery life isn't great + I forget to turn them off a lot -- but I hate wearing in-ear headphones for that just because I like to be aware of my surroundings more
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

'Price point' indicates a range in which you can compare similarly-but-not-exactly-the-same-priced products.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:54 pm
Sorry, it's just one of those things that's bugged me forever.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:01 pm 'Price point' indicates a range in which you can compare similarly-but-not-exactly-the-same-priced products.
So price point means price range?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

"Under $30" is a price point. "$25.99" is a price.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:12 pm I swear by my Trekz, especially for runs, as you can still hear cars coming. I had a pair go out on me after a couple years, and let them know and they sent me two replacement pairs (on accident, I'm pretty sure).
second it.
the first pair had an issue.. they replaced for free. have had Trekz three+ years now.
good for phone calls too.