Tech Support

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Tech Support

Post by Pruitt »

Probably a basic issue, but I've begun getting "Your Connection is not Private" warnings on a whole bunch of sites (major ones at that)

Says that the sites' security certificates aren't valid. Considering that this is happening at premierleague.com, wikipedia and other major sites, it doesn't make sense.

Done a virus and malware scan and nothing came up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I get that when I bump up against a web filter at work, but never gotten it at home. Do you have something like that installed?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:55 am Probably a basic issue, but I've begun getting "Your Connection is not Private" warnings on a whole bunch of sites (major ones at that)
Update your browser
clear your cache
make sure your computer clock is correct
restart your computer and router
Then there are lots of settings in the INternet connection (clear DNS, SSL. etc.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:55 am Probably a basic issue, but I've begun getting "Your Connection is not Private" warnings on a whole bunch of sites (major ones at that)

Says that the sites' security certificates aren't valid. Considering that this is happening at premierleague.com, wikipedia and other major sites, it doesn't make sense.

Done a virus and malware scan and nothing came up.
The basic gist of what is happening (assuming everything is normal) is your browser checks for a security certificate the website has and if it doesn't have it/it's too old/something else funky is going on, you get that message. Would do the stuff Rush says and then if that still doesn't work try another browser and see if it still happens. You MIGHT need to reinstall your browser if you try that stuff and it doesn't work, or if you try those same sites on another browser and it works fine.

For older/not as mainstream sites, how old those certificates can be is significantly shorter than it used to be for security reasons, so browsers have gotten more picky about them. This is all stuff that happens all the time on the backend between your browser and the sites you visit. It's called HTTPS if you care.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've done all of the suggestions, and it persists.

Switched to safari and these issues were still occurring. Did a bit of clicking and learned this...
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 4.57.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 4.57.22 PM.png (106.73 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Any thoughts as to what I can do?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ended up with Apple support and was told to download a later ios, but when I was about to do that I learned that I'd have to upgrade my script writing software as the old version won't run on Catalina.

$100 to do that. Nope
Wasted far too much time on this today...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, downloaded the later OS.

More issues than I even feared, culminating with Mail problems - all of my mailboxes disappeared.

45 minutes on a chat with Apple service what I hope was a bot (because otherwise, this was not a very bright human) and then 40 minutes on a call with a human. End result - a scheduled follow up on Thursday where she will pass on what the engineers told her about recovering my emails.

Any of you guys have this issue?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:44 pm Well, downloaded the later OS.

More issues than I even feared, culminating with Mail problems - all of my mailboxes disappeared.

45 minutes on a chat with Apple service what I hope was a bot (because otherwise, this was not a very bright human) and then 40 minutes on a call with a human. End result - a scheduled follow up on Thursday where she will pass on what the engineers told her about recovering my emails.

Any of you guys have this issue?
I've had to delete and re add the account but fortunately it all came back when I did that.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Can't help you with the mail probs, but the certificate issue sounds like a messed up root certificate on your box. Possibly because it got too old.

The way those certificates for websites work is that they are signed by a trusted company. And that trusted company has a special public/private key pair that is used to prove that it was the trusted company who approved the certificate and not some imposter. Your computer keeps a list of valid, trusted companies (called the root certificates) that can sign website certificates (you have the public keys and they keep the private keys). If that list of trusted companies gets messed up or doesn't contain the right ones, you'll get those errors because your browser isn't able to confirm that the certificate is legit.
Totally Kafkaesque
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Sorry I couldn't be more help with the certs. It's unfortunately not really that straight forward and normally it's all handled by the browser/os in the background so futzing with it is less than ideal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Xfinity support rep attempting to assure me he will solve all of my issues via chat wrote:(rass). I am for everything. Rest your faith in me.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

#TheNationalLyricGenerator
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Has anyone else make the switch to Windows 11?

I did that a couple of weeks ago, and it has really slowed my system down. And I'll have this thing happen where I'll be working along just fine, and then I'll try to load a webpage and it will just hang...even though other processes (like listening to KEXP through their webstream and a remote desktop to my machine in my office) will keep going. But eventually they'll get hung as well, and I have to reboot.

Anyone have any ideas? It happens pretty much once a day now, sometimes more, and it happened during a meeting I was running a couple of days ago, which really sucked.

My PC is a few years old, and maybe it just doesn't have the juice to run Windows 11, but I'd hate to have to buy a new box just because of that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Hey...this is a question for my daughter. She was in Barcelona last weekend (she's on Spring Break) and her phone was lifted by a pickpocket on the tram. She got a Euro Burner phone to get her through the next 6 weeks, but now she's having problems with her Mac, and she can't make a service appointment because the 2 factor authentication goes through to her old iPhone, and she can't reset it because she can't log onto her computer.

Any ideas? I'm stumped...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 pm Hey...this is a question for my daughter. She was in Barcelona last weekend (she's on Spring Break) and her phone was lifted by a pickpocket on the tram. She got a Euro Burner phone to get her through the next 6 weeks, but now she's having problems with her Mac, and she can't make a service appointment because the 2 factor authentication goes through to her old iPhone, and she can't reset it because she can't log onto her computer.

Good lord. I think she or you might have to call.

How hard would it be for you to go into an Apple Store and talk to someone? We found that easier when my daughter could no longer log in because her login was tied to a school email address that went away when she graduated.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:42 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 pm Hey...this is a question for my daughter. She was in Barcelona last weekend (she's on Spring Break) and her phone was lifted by a pickpocket on the tram. She got a Euro Burner phone to get her through the next 6 weeks, but now she's having problems with her Mac, and she can't make a service appointment because the 2 factor authentication goes through to her old iPhone, and she can't reset it because she can't log onto her computer.

Good lord. I think she or you might have to call.

How hard would it be for you to go into an Apple Store and talk to someone? We found that easier when my daughter could no longer log in because her login was tied to a school email address that went away when she graduated.
I could do that...but I'm still Covid symptomatic. But maybe I'll try to see if I can do online support for her.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

1. Go to icloud.com - There you can set the iPhone’s status as Lost/Stolen (protecting your daughter’s data), and then you can delete its data. The moment the thief powers on the phone (and it accesses the internet) those things will occur.
2. Call Apple about the two factor authentication.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:53 pm

1. Go to icloud.com - There you can set the iPhone’s status as Lost/Stolen (protecting your daughter’s data), and then you can delete its data. The moment the thief powers on the phone (and it accesses the internet) those things will occur.
Yeah, she did that as soon as the theft happen.
2. Call Apple about the two factor authentication.
Looks like that's the only option.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Anyone ever had to keep an iPad from overheating? We’re collecting sidewalk data all summer and we made it an hour today before it quit.

The cooling case solutions look fucking ridiculous
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm Anyone ever had to keep an iPad from overheating? We’re collecting sidewalk data all summer and we made it an hour today before it quit.

The cooling case solutions look fucking ridiculous
It definitely does not like direct sunlight. At least my iPhone didn't as I placed it next to my golf bag (in the sunlight) as I hit a bucket of balls.

It came back to life once it cooled down though.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm trying to move some songs off my iPhone, and move some songs to my iPhone, using iTunes on my windows10 box. And its doing this weird thing where it shows that some songs I tried to move previously are in some weird state:
image.png
image.png (27.76 KiB) Viewed 653 times
and I can't do anything with the music...either removing or adding...to the iPhone. I've tried doing the google deep dive, but with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:44 pm I'm trying to move some songs off my iPhone, and move some songs to my iPhone, using iTunes on my windows10 box. And its doing this weird thing where it shows that some songs I tried to move previously are in some weird state:

image.png

and I can't do anything with the music...either removing or adding...to the iPhone. I've tried doing the google deep dive, but with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?
Yep.

Imazing. You might be able to do what you want to do with the free version, but the paid version is awesome.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

First world problems: cleaned my monitor and laptop screen now I am distracted by my own reflection every time I move.

Take that as what you will RE: my sloven self
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

YouTube Free is Silently Testing 5 Ads, instead of 2, Before Your Video Starts

I was already lamenting the ads every couple minutes on my new TV (and using a fire stick hasn't really stopped it), so now it's going to be imperative to find a fix if I'm watching on my TV if I don't want to connect my laptop via an HDMI cable.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 pm YouTube Free is Silently Testing 5 Ads, instead of 2, Before Your Video Starts

I was already lamenting the ads every couple minutes on my new TV (and using a fire stick hasn't really stopped it), so now it's going to be imperative to find a fix if I'm watching on my TV if I don't want to connect my laptop via an HDMI cable.
Hulu is close to unwatchable because of the number of ads, length of ads, and general poor quality/targeting of them.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:09 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 pm YouTube Free is Silently Testing 5 Ads, instead of 2, Before Your Video Starts

Hulu is close to unwatchable because of the number of ads, length of ads, and general poor quality/targeting of them.
I get T-Mobile in Spanish advertisements whenever I decide to downgrade to the 'w/ads' version.
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:09 am Hulu is close to unwatchable because of the number of ads, length of ads, and general poor quality/targeting of them.
Has anyone tried the ads-free version of Hulu, and if so, is it better? I'm thinking about dropping YouTube TV for various streaming services including Disney Plus, and there's a higher-tier version of Disney Plus that offers ad-free Hulu. Of course, there are asterisks associated with the ad-free version, so I'm sure we'll see some ads, but I don't want to watch five minutes of ads for every 15 minutes of video.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:40 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:09 am Hulu is close to unwatchable because of the number of ads, length of ads, and general poor quality/targeting of them.
Has anyone tried the ads-free version of Hulu, and if so, is it better? I'm thinking about dropping YouTube TV for various streaming services including Disney Plus, and there's a higher-tier version of Disney Plus that offers ad-free Hulu. Of course, there are asterisks associated with the ad-free version, so I'm sure we'll see some ads, but I don't want to watch five minutes of ads for every 15 minutes of video.
I have the Hulu / Disney / ESPN+ sub. No ads. Except you will see ads if you're watching a live event.

Note: ESPN+ just gives you access to what they're streaming live, and their content library. You won't get access to any of their live channel content.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm looking for a way to cut screengrab videos off my computer. Like a video of version of the Windows Snipping Tool. Articles led me to the XBox app built into Windows 11, but it doesn't work.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:05 am I'm looking for a way to cut screengrab videos off my computer. Like a video of version of the Windows Snipping Tool. Articles led me to the XBox app built into Windows 11, but it doesn't work.
I paid for mine because I had a use for it, but Movavi screen grabber is solid. I think it has windows version as well.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, there is a tool built into Windows 10. I assume it's there for Win 11 too. Googling...

Yeah, this works for me - https://www.laptopmag.com/news/how-to-r ... windows-11

It's the XBOX thing. Just press Windows-G to bring it up.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 am Yeah, there is a tool built into Windows 10. I assume it's there for Win 11 too. Googling...

Yeah, this works for me - https://www.laptopmag.com/news/how-to-r ... windows-11

It's the XBOX thing. Just press Windows-G to bring it up.
The record button isn't available. I get a message that "Gaming features are not available for Windows desktop or File Explorer."
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hey, it works!!! Just press Window-Alt-R and it records.

ETA: for some reason the recordings are a little jittery. Like it constantly speeds up and slows down while playing. I guess you get what you pay for with a free program.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Does anyone here have any experience with T-Mobile's 5G Home Internet service?

My neighborhood doesn't have any fiber Internet providers, so the best speed I can get is 50 mbps through AT&T (unless I switch to Spectrum, which is an absolute non-starter for me). Our AT&T service has been kinda shitty the last several weeks, so I'm looking at alternatives. The T-Mobile offering sounds promising - especially for the $50 a month price - but I've never used the T-Mobile 5G network before and am reluctant to just jump over.

Thanks.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Sabo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 pm Does anyone here have any experience with T-Mobile's 5G Home Internet service?

My neighborhood doesn't have any fiber Internet providers, so the best speed I can get is 50 mbps through AT&T (unless I switch to Spectrum, which is an absolute non-starter for me). Our AT&T service has been kinda shitty the last several weeks, so I'm looking at alternatives. The T-Mobile offering sounds promising - especially for the $50 a month price - but I've never used the T-Mobile 5G network before and am reluctant to just jump over.

Thanks.
Do you know anyone with Tmobile in your area? How good the service is entirely local and radio (tower) based. Do they have advertised speeds? usually they'll advertise download but you'll want to see what they are offering upload.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

blundercrush wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:22 pm
Sabo wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 pm Does anyone here have any experience with T-Mobile's 5G Home Internet service?

Thanks.
Do you know anyone with Tmobile in your area? How good the service is entirely local and radio (tower) based. Do they have advertised speeds? usually they'll advertise download but you'll want to see what they are offering upload.
My experience with Tmobile as a cell provider has been very good (was auto swapped from Sprint). And Tmobile Tuesdays are the best!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm currently running a daily triage meeting, where I'm having to continually type "-1.0 release triage team" in the notes on bugs.

Is there a way to create a keyboard macro on Windows 10 that will insert that text? I've done the google search but not found anything.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 am I'm currently running a daily triage meeting, where I'm having to continually type "-1.0 release triage team" in the notes on bugs.

Is there a way to create a keyboard macro on Windows 10 that will insert that text? I've done the google search but not found anything.
Autohotkey
https://www.found.co.uk/blog/how-to-aut ... z27gnbMKHs

I think Microsoft Powertoys has some stuff that does this

Phrase Express is another one.

The google of text expanders should help you out

here is another thing to look at
https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-au ... ernatives/
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:35 am I'm currently running a daily triage meeting, where I'm having to continually type "-1.0 release triage team" in the notes on bugs.

Autohotkey

another idea is to use the clipboard history built into windows. This lets you keep multiple items in the clipboard to paste from.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:22 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:18 pm

Autohotkey

another idea is to use the clipboard history built into windows. This lets you keep multiple items in the clipboard to paste from.
I’ve used this in the past.
Noli Timere Messorem