The Dude

Re: 2021 NFL Season Thread

Post by Rex »

Hire Dabo
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I know people like us all thought hiring Meyer was a bad idea but we don't know shit, so that doesn't mean it couldn't have possibly worked and therefore scrambling for an excuse to fire him after 4 games might be dumber than hiring him in the first place. Unless it's already that obvious internally that hiring him was a huge mistake in which case finding an excuse to get rid of him cheaply is genius! Go Jags.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:30 am I know people like us all thought hiring Meyer was a bad idea but we don't know shit, so that doesn't mean it couldn't have possibly worked and therefore scrambling for an excuse to fire him after 4 games might be dumber than hiring him in the first place. Unless it's already that obvious internally that hiring him was a huge mistake in which case finding an excuse to get rid of him cheaply is genius! Go Jags.
I think a large part of the skepticism over hiring Meyer is understanding how he operated when coaching in college and how a lot of that does not work when coaching unionized paid professionals, as well as being at a talent deficiency because of the differences in player acquisition/roster management.

He's been a fucking embarrassment to that franchise (which has one winning season and nine double-digit loss seasons in compiling a 44-116 record in the previous decade) with pretty much everything noteworthy that happened since he was hired. Hiring a strength coach who had been fired from his last job due to racism. Getting fined and forfeiting two OTAs in 2022 due to CBA violations in OTAs this summer. Bringing Tim Tebow and moving him to tight end (the franchise had to be on board with that, an easy win by selling jerseys of a guy most expected would rightfully never see a regular season game). Announcing "winners and losers" in practice along with all the other collegiate rah-rah crap in training camp. Immediately got tied in with the USC job as soon as Helton was fired (not his doing, but his reputation made this obvious). That dopey "we'll do better" tweet after losing a couple games.

Meyer exhibits so much hubris and so much failure to handle adversity.

It's only a win for the franchise if they can dump him and get off the hook for his contract. It's a win for Urban just getting out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet he's furiously googling the definition of the word "ramification".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wow. And the fact that players are putting it out there so freely is just another bullet point to add to this whole thing.

Grown ass men see right through the college rah rah bullshit. You can get away with a certain amount of it if you are building something. But, as chronicled above, he was pretty constantly stepping in dogshit with try-hard nonsense.

And I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Tebow stuff REALLY pissed a lot of them off. I know that's obvious, but it's just a horrible look when guys are already skeptical about what you're all about.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Gotta love employers. Inexcusable huh. Your gonna need better than that to trigger a contract out.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We've all been piling on ol' Urban for good reason. But, I cannot believe he would lose his job over this.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:19 am We've all been piling on ol' Urban for good reason. But, I cannot believe he would lose his job over this.
Agreed. It's more the stuff above about losing the locker room. That's incredibly difficult to overcome. Moreover, I'm not sure Urban is equipped to deal with that type of environment to see out the season.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

being openly laughed at and mocked by your entire team is what causes coaches to lose jobs...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can see thinking its insane for his job to be at risk for trying to finger a butt through jeans in a bar, but once you combine that with the fact that he skipped the team flight after a loss ... eh? Sure seems like he's not the guy you want for the first year or few of what you expect to be a franchise QB's career.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:31 am I can see thinking its insane for his job to be at risk for trying to finger a butt through jeans in a bar, but once you combine that with the fact that he skipped the team flight after a loss ... eh? Sure seems like he's not the guy you want for the first year or few of what you expect to be a franchise QB's career.
100% this. Clearly not a good look, but if this was a popular coach who didn't give such a shitty statement, the story dies really quick.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:31 am I can see thinking its insane for his job to be at risk for trying to finger a butt through jeans in a bar, but once you combine that with the fact that he skipped the team flight after a loss ... eh? Sure seems like he's not the guy you want for the first year or few of what you expect to be a franchise QB's career.
100% this. Clearly not a good look, but if this was a popular coach who didn't give such a shitty statement, the story dies really quick.
If he really lost the locker room, he has to go right now. This isn't a situation like Miami in '19 or Houston now, where there's no real incentive to try and play above the talent level more than pride. If they have the rest of the team go full Kotite, that'll completely wreck Lawrence for good.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:42 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:35 am
If he really lost the locker room, he has to go right now. This isn't a situation like Miami in '19 or Houston now, where there's no real incentive to try and play above the talent level more than pride. If they have the rest of the team go full Kotite, that'll completely wreck Lawrence for good.
Another coach who was doomed because he couldn't resist a quality tight end.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Loses to go 0-4.
Doesn't get on the plane with the team.
Goes to his restaurant, gets hammered, awkward finger to butthole action with rando.
Puts out "she tried to drag me on the dance floor" statement
Crocodile tear apology about his stupid first apology
Calls off team meeting, gets laughed out of at least one position room meeting
Team owner forced to put out a CYA "inexcusable" statement

Dude is getting fired.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So which room laughed him out? I feel like the LBs would hurt the worst.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:30 am being openly laughed at and mocked by your entire team is what causes coaches to lose jobs...
That'll do it. Just need to cut him a check is all.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:50 am So which room laughed him out? I feel like the LBs would hurt the worst.
What if he only tried to float it with the kickers first, got laughed at, then high-tailed it.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Urban Meyer going to each position meeting

images.jpg
images.jpg (9.69 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy shit! I forget about that.
But the selection of Brady, who caught 27 passes for 365 yards and two touchdowns last season, was a shocker.
Jets gonna Jets.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

This seems, um, odd. Weird timing at the very least.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Patriots released Gilmore. That's something to wake up to.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am Patriots released Gilmore. That's something to wake up to.
Does that make him a free agent? Or, do the weakest teams get to make the first waiver claim? If the latter, then maybe he can study at the knee of Urban Meyer!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:06 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 am Patriots released Gilmore. That's something to wake up to.
Does that make him a free agent? Or, do the weakest teams get to make the first waiver claim? If the latter, then maybe he can study at the knee of Urban Meyer!
He's not a free agent until 4 so teams can try to trade for him if they really want him. And he'd be a FA so not eligible for waivers.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

He's getting there...

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 am

He's not a free agent until 4 so teams can try to trade for him if they really want him. And he'd be a FA so not eligible for waivers.
Traded to the Panthers.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Agree with this thought (I actually picked Jax in my weekly picks pool at work)

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Maybe this was ol' Urb's plan to bring the team together you guys? Maybe he's playing 8-D chess.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

While the contract circumstances are completely different and Gilmore's injury is a factor so it's not an equivalent situation, the day before the Panthers traded a 2023 6th-rounder for Stephon Gilmore, the Bears flipped their 2023 6th-rounder to Miami for Jakeem Grant to return punts.

Just a fun comparison.

Fire Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:21 am Maybe this was ol' Urb's plan to bring the team together you guys? Maybe he's playing 8-D chess.
Guess he was looking for a missing piece the other night.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 am Agree with this thought (I actually picked Jax in my weekly picks pool at work)

I think framing Smallwood in the center of the video was brilliant.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Very entertaining review.

I almost puked looking at that pasta dish.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I watched the "A Football Life" episode on Calvin Johnson and the highlights of him... You already know, but watching them... Just amazing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:58 pm Very entertaining review.

I almost puked looking at that pasta dish.
That was a fun read.

So, in a thing I don’t think is going to come as a surprise to anyone, this is very obviously a restaurant that exists to get Ohio State fans looking for a nice night out in the trendy area of Columbus to go “oh HELL YEAH this has URBAN MEYER’S NAME ON IT.”

Its impossibly weird to me that some people really do think like this.