The price of a ticket and anticipated failure

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

The price of a ticket and anticipated failure

Post by Tom 1860 »

So,

I have secured tickets to watch Wales play England in Rugby Union at Twickenham in London next February during the 6 nations tournament.

Wales very rarely win these matches when playing away from home. Prior to 2008, Wales' last win in England was in 1988, so a 30 year gap. Going to watch Wales play England in London is one of those terribly horrible, anxious sporting events. It is the last place I want to be if Wales lose, but the only place I want to be if Wales win...

The price of my weekend in London to watch Wales almost inevitably lose is as follows:

Match day tickets £284
Hotel £165
Beer £100+
Food £50
Transport £100+
Total £699 (or $950+)

If you cost that over the last 25 years or so (Wales have won twice during this period) it equates to roughly £4,500 for each victory and wasting £7,500 watching wales get crushed by our biggest rivals and spending the entirety of that time surrounded by England rugby fans enjoying the moment far too much...

This is not comparable with a SB win, because it is merely one match of five that Wales play during the annual 6 nations championship. But I would say that securing the championship by winning in England or losing the championship by losing in England is as big as it gets in Rugby terms for a Welsh fan.

I suppose my question is, how much money is too much when paying for almost inevitable failure, with the slight whiff of unbelievable success and the delight that comes with that?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Re: The price of a ticket and anticipated failure

Post by phxgators »

Back in 2006, my wife and I were living in Phoenix and did not have kids yet. We had been planning on making a trek back to Gainesville to watch a Gator game, but the stars aligned and the Gators ended up in the championship game against Ohio St, being played in the Phoenix area. All we heard was about how Ohio St was the best team ever, blah blah blah... We decided to drop > $1k each for two tickets, instead of going back to Gainesville in the next year or so.

We took the day off, spent the entire day out there for the fan fest, etc. Had a couple drinks, got settled, and... Ohio St returns the opening kickoff. We just laughed and said well, it was a fun day. But of course things improved from there.

We went into it thinking we would likely lose, but we would have kicked ourselves if we didn't go. Was worth every penny, and then some, for the experience.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had Lions season tickets for 11 years, so sure...yeah.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 am I had Lions season tickets for 11 years, so sure...yeah.
Can't beat that
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:09 am Are you going to be this guy?

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/rug ... 71864.html
I was with my then girlfriend (an England fan) at a packed English rugby pub during that match. When Wales scored the winning kick, I quietly walked into the pub toilet and screamed "Take that you English cunts, you fucking love it up you" and returned to the bar.

It was obvious upon my return, that I had overestimated the thickness of the internal walls...
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Also, as I should have stated in the opening post - The money hurts, but it is the hope that kills you as a fan...