Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Shirley »

Man, that is a crazy story. This woman is also 80?
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm Man, that is a crazy story. This woman is also 80?
mid-late 60's.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I can't get over DiS's story. How do you even process something like that at that age? I think a death would be easier to understand.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anyone want to guess on how to pronounce this person’s first name?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bapo! wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am I can't get over DiS's story. How do you even process something like that at that age? I think a death would be easier to understand.
And she did this after they moved from their sweet place right off the water in West Palm Beach, FL to the middle of the state (to 'Horse Country'...between Gainesville and Ocala) to be closer to her family.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 pm
bapo! wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am I can't get over DiS's story. How do you even process something like that at that age? I think a death would be easier to understand.
And she did this after they moved from their sweet place right off the water in West Palm Beach, FL to the middle of the state (to 'Horse Country'...between Gainesville and Ocala) to be closer to her family.
The Villages strike again!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Seven or Seventh.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Æ A-12?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

anyone else gotten a massive uptick in calls and texts purportedly asking if you're interested in selling your house/other property? I get it for multiple properties throughout the family + some list is convinced that we own the house of the lady that lives one block south of us.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 pm anyone else gotten a massive uptick in calls and texts purportedly asking if you're interested in selling your house/other property? I get it for multiple properties throughout the family + some list is convinced that we own the house of the lady that lives one block south of us.
No, but I would like to speak with you about your vehicles extended warranty.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:51 pm anyone else gotten a massive uptick in calls and texts purportedly asking if you're interested in selling your house/other property? I get it for multiple properties throughout the family + some list is convinced that we own the house of the lady that lives one block south of us.
Yes, and almost every call and text is for the house I sold last year. I have asked people to take me off their list and gotten polite responses. Not sure where they get the contact info, but it's second only to calls about my car warranty about to expire.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are these realtors or "we pay cash for houses" types?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 pm Are these realtors or "we pay cash for houses" types?
I've just thought about answering these calls with "700 thousand. Nope? OK then."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The house buying calls are because they scrape public records. The car warranty calls are random.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 pm Are these realtors or "we pay cash for houses" types?
the latter. "investors" as they like to call themselves.

I have been employing the "$1 million" trick on them. usually gets them to stop.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We get those calls/texts/emails regularly, and have for years. Usually from realtors. Around here, there are too many realtors for the the small inventory of properties for sale at any given time.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Constant. Incessant. Don't even know who they are calling. Agree with PDX public records because I get calls for client properties often.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:20 pm
We get those calls/texts/emails regularly, and have for years. Usually from realtors. Around here, there are too many realtors for the the small inventory of properties for sale at any given time.
Very rarely get a call from realtors. When we put the house up in 2015 and didn't sell, I got quarterly calls from a couple desperate agents. Haven't gotten those calls in years.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've often wondered what kind of complete idiot isn't looking to sell until a realtor calls to see if they want to give it a try.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Duh. The kind that sells way below market.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:00 pm I've often wondered what kind of complete idiot isn't looking to sell until a realtor calls to see if they want to give it a try.
They went with the "I saw you listed your house in 2015 and didn't sell, let's talk so I can determine why your agent was able to sell and change the strategy." I also think they are hoping to build report, not get you to list today, but have their name on your mind when you list. I think they were either new or suck at the job, and desperate to get leads. I'd never seen their names on signs or met them at open houses.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm Seven or Seventh.
Seven is correct.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm
mister d wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 pm Seven or Seventh.
Seven is correct.
Big Elway fan no doubt

Or, a Seinfeld fan?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:36 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:00 pm I've often wondered what kind of complete idiot isn't looking to sell until a realtor calls to see if they want to give it a try.
They went with the "I saw you listed your house in 2015 and didn't sell, let's talk so I can determine why your agent was able to sell and change the strategy." I also think they are hoping to build report, not get you to list today, but have their name on your mind when you list. I think they were either new or suck at the job, and desperate to get leads. I'd never seen their names on signs or met them at open houses.
I listed then de-listed my Portland condo in 2018... still getting calls from these vultures.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Is “camaro-ing” officially dead?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If we’re friends on Facebook, here’s the number of the woman leading the charge against Jerry Craft speaking to elementary kids because his kids books “promote CRT”.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Listing a baby's weight and length with the announcement is dumb and pointless. Is there a thing about having the biggest baby? Doesn't seem something to be proud of or necessary to share.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:57 pm Listing a baby's weight and length with the announcement is dumb and pointless. Is there a thing about having the biggest baby? Doesn't seem something to be proud of or necessary to share.
Always knew what my weight was at birth, because my mother always used to like to remind me that I broke two of her ribs. I just assumed most everybody knew. I've also seen many "guess the weight" office pools or even block pools, where half the money goes to the new mom, especially since weight can vary so much. But length is new, at least to me, since it's practically always 19, 20 or 21. I know the birth weight of both of my kids (as well as the time), but no clue what their length was.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Reaper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:06 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:57 pm Listing a baby's weight and length with the announcement is dumb and pointless. Is there a thing about having the biggest baby? Doesn't seem something to be proud of or necessary to share.
Always knew what my weight was at birth, because my mother always used to like to remind me that I broke two of her ribs. I just assumed most everybody knew. I've also seen many "guess the weight" office pools or even block pools, where half the money goes to the new mom, especially since weight can vary so much. But length is new, at least to me, since it's practically always 19, 20 or 21. I know the birth weight of both of my kids (as well as the time), but no clue what their length was.
Always knew what my birth weight was because it matched the name of a famous convenience store.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm trying to find the Kum & Go angle but I'm swamped at work.. dammit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:57 pm I'm trying to find ... Kum ... at work.. dammit.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's better than the Circle Kilo bit I was workshopping.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So hungover.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Just saw a new company in our system called Epic Piping and now that's how I'm referring to sex from here on out.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just a heads up to Swampers nearing or over 50. The Shingles shot (part 1) can kick your ass. Took me out all day today, achy and tired and cold.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:50 am Just saw a new company in our system called Epic Piping and now that's how I'm referring to sex from here on out.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Damn near threw a Karen fit in FedEx because they needed not only a photo ID, but documentation to tie me to my address.

Everything is in my wife's name; I have no car; and I don't think the car insurance is printed with me as additional driver. My license is from New Mexico.

So even when you create a FedEx account with all of your pertinent info to include your email and cell phone number, and when you add tracking info for packages to your account, and even when you get text updates that the package is ready, you still need proof of residence.

Luckily the younger, mild tempered manager came over and I was just like "Does a credit card statement count? If not I cannot prove I live where I live." Luckily it did. I apologized for the tantrum and left.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:31 pm Just a heads up to Swampers nearing or over 50. The Shingles shot (part 1) can kick your ass. Took me out all day today, achy and tired and cold.
Can confirm! I got the two Shingrix shots last January and March, and they were worse than my (Moderna) covid shots for me. I had the same symptoms, but only for one day each time.

But, I'm told that's much more desirable than actually getting shingles.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:50 am Just saw a new company in our system called Epic Piping and now that's how I'm referring to sex from here on out.
Clearly you are younger than I am.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:57 pm
Clearly you are younger than I am.
Calling it that and it being that are two completely different things.