Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:58 pm Finished Squid Game.
[+] spoiler
Great twist ending.

Also, I realized that this TV series was basically Willy Wonka with lots of blood and gore.

Also, there's a fan theory that the old man and the main protagonist are father and son. Seems plausible.
Very interesting theory...
[+] spoiler
The old man talked about watching his son play games with his friends while he hid to watch. The protagonist would have to never have seen his father to not realize it was him, but... maybe? I don't recall them mentioning his father at all. Also seems odd he has more money than he knows what to do with and allowed his son and baby mama to live in squalor.

My son's friend had an interesting idea. When they first played that game with him on the subway platform and they had to choose red or blue paper, he thinks when someone chooses red, they become a worker, blue a player. Doesn't really matter, but I thought that was interesting, since the workers wore red and were also assigned number.
I liked the show, but it wasn't as great as it seemed like it was going to be. First 3 episodes seemed like it building to something incredibly cool, but around 5 - 8 it was getting old. Final episode was pretty cool, and sets up nicely for a second season.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Speaking of Television....has anyone bought a new one recently? Our downstairs/bigger TV died on me the other night...like I was watching the baseball game while folding laundry and it make a 'zzzzt' kind of sound and went dark.

Not looking for anything crazy big (I think the one that died was a 55") or fancy (I had it hooked up to a Chromecast, which worked great), and since its the 'second' tv that we don't watch all that often, don't want to drop a bunch of money.

Any recommendations?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 am Speaking of Television....has anyone bought a new one recently? Our downstairs/bigger TV died on me the other night...like I was watching the baseball game while folding laundry and it make a 'zzzzt' kind of sound and went dark.

Not looking for anything crazy big (I think the one that died was a 55") or fancy (I had it hooked up to a Chromecast, which worked great), and since its the 'second' tv that we don't watch all that often, don't want to drop a bunch of money.

Any recommendations?
If you’re not looking for a bunch of features I say just go with the cheapest of the size you want.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The English series Ghosts is charming, cheerful and pretty funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:39 am Speaking of Television....has anyone bought a new one recently? Our downstairs/bigger TV died on me the other night...like I was watching the baseball game while folding laundry and it make a 'zzzzt' kind of sound and went dark.

Any recommendations?
Just bought a TCL 5 series with Google TV built in. Big fan. Also picked up a Sonos soundbar and surround speakers that are quite nice as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Any recommendations?
We got one of these about 3 weeks ago, it's pretty nice so far.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-cl ... Id=6455218
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Any recommendations?
Ha, I just had the same experience. Watching a movie Wed night and the TV picture went out. It was just light blobs moving around. It was a 50" LG that was only about 2.5 years old. Went to Best Buy yesterday and bought a 55" TLC QLED with built-in Roku. I had already bought a couple smaller versions of those for my kids and liked the built-in Roku apps which are better than the LG's built-in apps. I spent $600 on the TV. Could have spent about $150 less, I think, if I didn't go for the QLED.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, I just don't get how they can sell other TVs at the same size for like triple that price. What the fuck else are you getting for that money? All TVs are so good these days.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Anyone out there checking in on Maid? Man... One of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years. Stars Margaret Qualley who some of you guys will remember as the angsty teen daughter from Leftovers. ETA - She was also the cute hippie chick that was part of the Manson family in Once Upona a Time in Hollywood. IRL she is the daughter of Andie McDowell, who plays her mom on this show too.

Truly a gem of a show. I don't recommend shows very often to you guys, so... Take that for what it's worth.

It's not really a "chick" show, but I highly recommend you bring your wife into the mix on this one. It's taken from the real-life memoir of a woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. There's enough quirk in it to really keep things interesting and light when need be... Heavy, but not in a way that makes you feel exhausted if that makes sense. (Why I stopped watching Handsmaid Tales, for example.)

ETA - On Netflix, BTW.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

May have to check out 'Maid'...

We tried watching the first episode of 'Foundation' (AppleTv), based on the classic Isaac Asimov book. I heard Jason Concepion plugging the 'Official' podcast while he was on the most recent episode of All Fantasy Everything.

It looks great...and I really enjoy Jared Harris (Lane Pryce from Mad Men), but I think I'm not ready for a series that needs a companion podcast to explain what the hell is going on.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:04 am May have to check out 'Maid'...

We tried watching the first episode of 'Foundation' (AppleTv), based on the classic Isaac Asimov book. I heard Jason Concepion plugging the 'Official' podcast while he was on the most recent episode of All Fantasy Everything.

It looks great...and I really enjoy Jared Harris (Lane Pryce from Mad Men), but I think I'm not ready for a series that needs a companion podcast to explain what the hell is going on.
I'm three episodes in and I don't think it's too difficult to follow. I like it so far.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was a huge sci-fi nerd as a kid and Asimov was my favorite. I keep meaning to start it up, but we've been locked into a few shows (Maid, Only Murder in the Building, the Witherspoon-Anniston news show) and I haven't been able to pull the trigger on Foundation. On the last episodes of the first two shows, looks like it's time!

Also, I constantly forget Reservoir Dogs is out there and then we snuck an episode last night... So freaking good. I love the guy who plays the rez cop. He was on Longmire and was such a serious (one note, really) character, that it's great to see him in this light.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm I was a huge sci-fi nerd as a kid and Asimov was my favorite. I keep meaning to start it up, but we've been locked into a few shows (Maid, Only Murder in the Building, the Witherspoon-Anniston news show) and I haven't been able to pull the trigger on Foundation. On the last episodes of the first two shows, looks like it's time!

Also, I constantly forget Reservoir Dogs is out there and then we snuck an episode last night... So freaking good. I love the guy who plays the rez cop. He was on Longmire and was such a serious (one note, really) character, that it's great to see him in this light.
I guess he's Mr. Blue?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:05 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm I was a huge sci-fi nerd as a kid and Asimov was my favorite. I keep meaning to start it up, but we've been locked into a few shows (Maid, Only Murder in the Building, the Witherspoon-Anniston news show) and I haven't been able to pull the trigger on Foundation. On the last episodes of the first two shows, looks like it's time!

I guess he's Mr. Blue?
HA. I do that all the time with my wife, too. Just stuck in my head that way.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The good news -- Shea Serrano and Mike Schur are doing a new TV show together.

The bad news -- it's on IMDBtv (though it's a free network (ad-supported) fairly readily available on streaming services.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:35 pm The good news -- Shea Serrano and Mike Schur are doing a new TV show together.

The bad news -- it's on IMDBtv (though it's a free network (ad-supported) fairly readily available on streaming services.
imdb is not bad. Amazon Prime pushes it pretty hard.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Because we are planning to go to Scotland in April, the wife and I watched an old Scottish/BBC comedy/drama show called Hamish MacBeth. Stars Robert Carlyle from Trainspotting. Filmed on location in a village in the Highlands. We watched all three seasons and enjoyed it very much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just give Michael Keaton his Emmy for Dopesick right now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Joe Pera Talks With You" S3 debuts on Nov. 7 and if you haven't checked out the first two seasons you absolutely should. It's perfect to watch right before you go to bed. Each episode is about 15 minutes and you can watch two to help you wind down from the day.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The newest Bullseye episode is with Jo Firestone, (Sarah from JPTWY) who has a show out called Good Timing about the comedy classes she taught during the pandemic with seniors in NYC. I have to imagine it's got a similar warmth as JPTWY.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:17 pm
My god, yes.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Succession...
[+] spoiler
Kendall Roy's stupidity and hubris know no bounds. Also, my daughter and I were pissed off about all the fresh seafood that went to waste in that episode.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:46 am Succession...
[+] spoiler
Kendall Roy's stupidity and hubris know no bounds. Also, my daughter and I were pissed off about all the fresh seafood that went to waste in that episode.
Binged the shit out of this show last month and excited to be current. But did any of that need a spoiler tag?

No one in the family (except maybe Logan, though he's clearly slipped, so...) is as smart as they think they are, though the show has outright said that about some of the characters so I'm not breaking ground new there, but I don't think stupidity is the right word for Kendall (or any of them, other than maybe Connor).

And food waste seems to be a recurring theme/gag.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just finished the show Man Down starring Greg Davies and Mike Wozniak after watching them on Taskmaster. The first season has Rik Mayall (which some of you may know from The Young Ones.)

Excellent comedy about a middle-aged teacher who is going through a mid-life crisis with help from his zany family and friends. Only something like 20 episodes. Available on Netflix.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:17 pm
New York Times on Joe Pera
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Jo Firestone special about seniors learning how to do comedy was charming, but unless you're a fan I wouldn't recommend it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am Anyone out there checking in on Maid? Man... One of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years. Stars Margaret Qualley who some of you guys will remember as the angsty teen daughter from Leftovers. ETA - She was also the cute hippie chick that was part of the Manson family in Once Upona a Time in Hollywood. IRL she is the daughter of Andie McDowell, who plays her mom on this show too.

Truly a gem of a show. I don't recommend shows very often to you guys, so... Take that for what it's worth.

It's not really a "chick" show, but I highly recommend you bring your wife into the mix on this one. It's taken from the real-life memoir of a woman trying to escape an abusive relationship. There's enough quirk in it to really keep things interesting and light when need be... Heavy, but not in a way that makes you feel exhausted if that makes sense. (Why I stopped watching Handsmaid Tales, for example.)

ETA - On Netflix, BTW.
Had you finished it when you posted this originally? Because
[+] spoiler
I thought it changed significantly after episode 3 or thereabouts. The quirk kind of went away. I don't know that it's meant for a recurring series, of course, but I just thought things got tied up in too neat of a bow.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:59 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 am Anyone out there checking in on Maid? Man... One of the best shows I've seen in the last couple of years. Stars Margaret Qualley who some of you guys will remember as the angsty teen daughter from Leftovers. ETA - She was also the cute hippie chick that was part of the Manson family in Once Upona a Time in Hollywood. IRL she is the daughter of Andie McDowell, who plays her mom on this show too.

ETA - On Netflix, BTW.
Had you finished it when you posted this originally? Because
[+] spoiler
I thought it changed significantly after episode 3 or thereabouts. The quirk kind of went away. I don't know that it's meant for a recurring series, of course, but I just thought things got tied up in too neat of a bow.
[+] spoiler
It's based on a very real story, so it's a one and done.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I watched the first few episodes of The Premise. It's a BJ Novak anthology show. Each episode opens with Twilight Zone style intro from Novak. Show reminds me slightly of Black Mirror, but it isn't nearly as dark or disturbing, and throws in a bit of humor. First episode is about a racial justice activist on trial for assault a police officer and a random guy realizes months later he has the incident filmed in the background of his sex tape. Premise could have been Black Mirror, but it turns twisted in a funny way. There is an NRA episode that is fantastic, but I don't want to say anything else about the episode. Quirky show, but the episodes I've seen manage to make a cultural statement with bizarre twist and some laughs along the way.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 pm I watched the first few episodes of The Premise. It's a BJ Novak anthology show. Each episode opens with Twilight Zone style intro from Novak. Show reminds me slightly of Black Mirror, but it isn't nearly as dark or disturbing, and throws in a bit of humor. First episode is about a racial justice activist on trial for assault a police officer and a random guy realizes months later he has the incident filmed in the background of his sex tape. Premise could have been Black Mirror, but it turns twisted in a funny way. There is an NRA episode that is fantastic, but I don't want to say anything else about the episode. Quirky show, but the episodes I've seen manage to make a cultural statement with bizarre twist and some laughs along the way.
Did the first 3 episodes. Something about BJ Novak always bothers me. Not sure if it is just his character from the office or his relationship with Mindy Kaling (who I don't like as an actress) or his not well written kids book. But damn so far the first 3 are rock solid.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty sure you all have seen this by now but man, funny and hit kinda close to home…

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:43 pm Pretty sure you all have seen this by now but man, funny and hit kinda close to home…

Hadn't seen it, and holy shit, we are just like dogs! And we are at the point where we might as well rename the Swamp Man Park. We sure can't seem to keep a woman around these parts.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:48 pm
tennbengal wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:43 pm Pretty sure you all have seen this by now but man, funny and hit kinda close to home…

Hadn't seen it, and holy shit, we are just like dogs! And we are at the point where we might as well rename the Swamp Man Park. We sure can't seem to keep a woman around these parts.
true
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:42 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 pm I watched the first few episodes of The Premise. It's a BJ Novak anthology show. Each episode opens with Twilight Zone style intro from Novak. Show reminds me slightly of Black Mirror, but it isn't nearly as dark or disturbing, and throws in a bit of humor. First episode is about a racial justice activist on trial for assault a police officer and a random guy realizes months later he has the incident filmed in the background of his sex tape. Premise could have been Black Mirror, but it turns twisted in a funny way. There is an NRA episode that is fantastic, but I don't want to say anything else about the episode. Quirky show, but the episodes I've seen manage to make a cultural statement with bizarre twist and some laughs along the way.
Did the first 3 episodes. Something about BJ Novak always bothers me. Not sure if it is just his character from the office or his relationship with Mindy Kaling (who I don't like as an actress) or his not well written kids book. But damn so far the first 3 are rock solid.
I think Novak's face fits the personality of Ryan from the Office, and he did a great job acting on the show, so it makes him hateable. A bit of a punchable face, but it goes beyond that. Haven't read his children's book, but he is awfully proud of it based on his interview with Maron. I finished the 5 episodes, and my review stands. 4th episode was my least favorite, but still good. 5th is arguably the best, although the NRA episode was really good, too.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yes please.

blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:09 am Yes please.

nice
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Too jaded to bother with more tiger king.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:11 pm Too jaded to bother with more tiger king.
Totally agree. My interest petered out halfway through the initial series.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:24 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:42 pm
I think Novak's face fits the personality of Ryan from the Office, and he did a great job acting on the show, so it makes him hateable. A bit of a punchable face, but it goes beyond that. Haven't read his children's book, but he is awfully proud of it based on his interview with Maron. I finished the 5 episodes, and my review stands. 4th episode was my least favorite, but still good. 5th is arguably the best, although the NRA episode was really good, too.
I watched the first three episodes. First two were solid but I didn’t like the third one much at all. I’ll keep going with it, though...
[+] spoiler
My episode 3 criticisms:
1. Yeah, right. The girl who almost got expelled for non-attendance can jump right in at the end and become valedictorian because she won the science fair? Sure.
2. The arguments of the creative, anti-establishment kids were just open-ended rants that provided no meat to support them, but everybody cheered them anyway because of their underdog rebellious attitudes?
3. The Asian girl who has been busting her ass to become valedictorian suddenly just decides, “fuck it. I’m out.”? Yeah, right.
4. I loved Ed Asner. But, the poor old guy was almost unintelligible in his speech. Clearly, he was on death’s door.
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian