Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:05 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:53 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:44 pm Glad your son's ok, Steve. I'm guessing your insurance rates might increase.
I've never paid a dime for children car insurance, on the advice of my actual insurance agent. Now, if the oldest had their own car that didn't stay at the same residence, I would have, but no car has been in either child's name, so they drive it, but it's my car, same as if Giff drove mine in a couple of weeks. Still covered.

It's saved me a bunch of money and it amazes people when I tell them that, but it came from the agent directly. YMMV.
Is this your way of telling me I'm going to be DD?
Wouldn't even dream of it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:31 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:58 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:57 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:44 pm Glad your son's ok, Steve. I'm guessing your insurance rates might increase.
I've never paid a dime for children car insurance, on the advice of my actual insurance agent. Now, if the oldest had their own car that didn't stay at the same residence, I would have, but no car has been in either child's name, so they drive it, but it's my car, same as if Giff drove mine in a couple of weeks. Still covered.

It's saved me a bunch of money and it amazes people when I tell them that, but it came from the agent directly. YMMV.
But doesn't your company ask how many drivers live in your household or something like that? I figured that is how they got you. You own n cars, you have x drivers, and y of them are under 25, and z of them are males. I enter this world next year. Trying to educate myself.
Yeah, I thought that's how it works too. It doesn't matter if your kid has their own car or not.
This is exactly what I thought, too, when I called to add her. But I was told twice, first by the receptionist and later by the agent (we had to add a new vehicle due to getting rear-ended) explicitly. The agent did say about the extra car that "a lot of people have a sports car or something they don't drive everyday so 2 owners having three cars isn't uncommon." That's why said an extra driver didn't matter. So my kids don't even appear on the coverage at all, just the cars. Did say in both instances that if there was an accident you may get asked to add them to the account within 30 days.

Maybe it's just downhome Kentucky goodness. Allstate if it matters and we've been with them a LOOOOONG time.
Sounds shady, but if it works, great. I'll definitely ask about it when my son gets his license, but I don't think it's on the level.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:33 pm

But doesn't your company ask how many drivers live in your household or something like that? I figured that is how they got you. You own n cars, you have x drivers, and y of them are under 25, and z of them are males. I enter this world next year. Trying to educate myself.
Yeah, I thought that's how it works too. It doesn't matter if your kid has their own car or not.
This is exactly what I thought, too, when I called to add her. But I was told twice, first by the receptionist and later by the agent (we had to add a new vehicle due to getting rear-ended) explicitly. The agent did say about the extra car that "a lot of people have a sports car or something they don't drive everyday so 2 owners having three cars isn't uncommon." That's why said an extra driver didn't matter. So my kids don't even appear on the coverage at all, just the cars. Did say in both instances that if there was an accident you may get asked to add them to the account within 30 days.

Maybe it's just downhome Kentucky goodness. Allstate if it matters and we've been with them a LOOOOONG time.
Sounds shady, but if it works, great. I'll definitely ask about it when my son gets his license, but I don't think it's on the level.
Me neither! But I'm not running their business!

And if you ask, you'll be the first person whom I have told this story to to ask. Everyone else just gets gunshy. I can give you my agent's number!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:36 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Me neither! But I'm not running their business!

And if you ask, you'll be the first person whom I have told this story to to ask. Everyone else just gets gunshy. I can give you my agent's number!
Does he provide insurance in NJ?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Might be worth moving, to be honest, given what I know about how much some of my friends pay.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks for the thoughts.

When that parking lot accident happened, I was on my way to Seattle to help him drive home. He had still been under a lot of emotional turmoil. But he handled the second situation like a champ. And we were able to get a replacement replacement car and drive 850 miles home yesterday.

I haven’t driven that long in a day since college. Damn I’m sore.

I believe my insurance policy says that if my car is driven by a member of my household who hasn’t been disclosed to the insurer, there’s no coverage for an accident. I’d be massively fucked by now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I get that. And I tried to disclose! I swear I thought same as all you guys. I would have paid for it too but I can’t run their business.

(And for the record my oldest rear ended someone when back for summer last year. It was covered and they still haven’t asked me to add to policy. No damage to other vehicle actually though. Hyundai accent rear ending a Jeep’s trailer hitch isn’t a fair fight. I actually credit this to the way they just want you to take pictures at site and submit claim. Never asked who was driving)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

the boy played his first soccer game of the season w the HS yesterday.
he's on the JV (22+ on the roster, the varsity has another 30 and is all seniors and jrs and two underclassmen)

scored a hat trick. they won 3-2
they were up 2-1 with 10 to go and the coach gave him a break.. other team tied it up (beautiful bending shot from 25, top corner, unstoppable) and coach put him back in. he scored. they won.

i was shooting video here and there.. missed the first two goals.. got the last one.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nF1iujbMGLtFd8D56

they play again tomorrow. fun to watch, frustrating at how bad the coaching is.. even what i've seen of the varsity (he played for them in the preseason and is likely to be called up here and there) coaching... no strategy. all depend on one or two players to make it happen (yes, on the jv they depend on his speed) and don't really coach.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice, big bro!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

2-2 tie vs South River.
SR was clearly the better team. just didn't test our keepers enough.
quality of Refs..ooooff. ugly. as ugly as in travel soccer. EDP refs are much, much better. heck even my sunday league (50s) refs are better

the boy played well.. didn't get a lot of balls, missed a chip on the keeper.. was double and tripple teamed after the first 15.. coach kept on yelling at his team to cover #6. he came out last ten after a big slide tackle left him on the ground a few minute. coach put him back in the last two, but no dice. he did have the two assists though.
also, first school game i see where the coach didn't play all the bench kids... pretty much stuck to 15 kids and the other 7 or so watched.
boy was dissapointed and after watching some of the video i shot understood what i kept on preaching. next game is wed/fri.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GF's daughter did a promo video for BF Goodrich, with her and her friend mountain biking by Mt Hood.

Funny thing is that she didn't get paid any money for doing it...she got a full set of new tires for her truck instead.

ETA: and that's her dog, Sky (a German Shorthaired Pointer) in the video.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My son has suddenly made a huge jump in his cross country running. I'm used to him finished in the final third of most races, but something happened this year. First race was last week, and he beat his personal record 5K by 3 minutes! He is a sophomore running JV, and finished first out of his teammates and his team won the meet. Today it was a difficult course with some very narrow, treacherous terrain in the woods, so all the times were worse, but he came in 5th out of 60. The runners come out of the woods and run a lap around the outside of the track stadium, then run onto the track to finish. I was absolutely shocked when he was the 4th kid to emerge out of the woods. There were 11 teams at the meet, and my son's teammates took 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th in the race, so they won that by a huge margin. I'm just really happy for him, because he's been running since 3rd or 4th grade, and not really made much of an improvement for a couple years.

I think he was staring to get discouraged, and last year due to COVID, the team only had two meets prior to sectionals, and there were no Freshmen team meets and his times weren't good enough for JV, so he didn't get to run at a single event last year. The coach had optional runs over the summer a couple times a week where he invited the kids to run together and he watched their stuff. I'm guessing he wasn't allowed to coach. My son went to almost all of them, and very few kids went. When my son came back to the team tent last week with a medal in his hand, the coach went nuts. He was screaming like a football coach, "What is that in your hand! What is that in your hand! A medal! All those summer miles paying off!" Even better, two of his club cross country coaches he ran with since 3rd grade were there and made a huge deal. He is like a different kid the past week, it's like he came out of his shell. He ran 7 miles by himself on Thursday without being told, which he never does.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That is awesome!
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That’s great, Syb!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sounds like he cut the course.

I kid, I kid.

Nice work, young Syb!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oldest turned 21. College visit with youngest next week hopefully. Time moves fast.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I know what you mean - we are celebrating my son's 25th today.

Unbelievable.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nice work Syb Jr!

Made plans yesterday to take my youngest to LA for college visits in a few weeks. She's thinking about going to women's college (Scripps) which surprises me.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Amazing story about your son, Syb. It's amazing, the potential positive impact of success in sports. Particularly one like cross country which has such a direct line between training and results.

My youngest turns 18 today!
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:24 pm My son has suddenly made a huge jump in his cross country running. I'm used to him finished in the final third of most races, but something happened this year. First race was last week, and he beat his personal record 5K by 3 minutes! He is a sophomore running JV, and finished first out of his teammates and his team won the meet. Today it was a difficult course with some very narrow, treacherous terrain in the woods, so all the times were worse, but he came in 5th out of 60. The runners come out of the woods and run a lap around the outside of the track stadium, then run onto the track to finish. I was absolutely shocked when he was the 4th kid to emerge out of the woods. There were 11 teams at the meet, and my son's teammates took 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th in the race, so they won that by a huge margin. I'm just really happy for him, because he's been running since 3rd or 4th grade, and not really made much of an improvement for a couple years.

I think he was staring to get discouraged, and last year due to COVID, the team only had two meets prior to sectionals, and there were no Freshmen team meets and his times weren't good enough for JV, so he didn't get to run at a single event last year. The coach had optional runs over the summer a couple times a week where he invited the kids to run together and he watched their stuff. I'm guessing he wasn't allowed to coach. My son went to almost all of them, and very few kids went. When my son came back to the team tent last week with a medal in his hand, the coach went nuts. He was screaming like a football coach, "What is that in your hand! What is that in your hand! A medal! All those summer miles paying off!" Even better, two of his club cross country coaches he ran with since 3rd grade were there and made a huge deal. He is like a different kid the past week, it's like he came out of his shell. He ran 7 miles by himself on Thursday without being told, which he never does.
Very cool!

Both of my kids spent a year on the XC team. It's one of the better ones in the state, so it was really interesting for me to listen to the somewhat legendary coach talk about a sport I know very little about. One of the great things about that team/sport is the idea that you don't really need to cut anyone. You'll either show up and get into it or... No one puts up with that sport's training just to put it on their resume (I'm sure he was proven wrong a few times, but I got a kick out of his philosophy.)

The other thing he talked about is not giving up on Frosh, because there is a point between the Sophomore and Junior years... That amount of time being put in from likely a start as a freshmen (only the really elite kids are on club teams around here) just needs time to play out. When you've been a serious runner for over 2 years... You are going to see what your body can really do.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Since I love both kids equally... my daughter got to play in a pro stadium Sunday (Carli Lloyd's club team Gotham City formerly Sky Blue used to play there, and now Red Bulls II stadium). Goal and an assist on the night, goal and an assist Sunday morning in a State Cup match. She switched clubs and moved up a couple flights in the league (EDP Academy Division), and fitting in nicely with the team. I love the way this team plays, tons of quick, one or two touch passing, lots of cross field balls, through balls and give and go plays.

Here is the assist:

And the goal. This was directly off the kickoff after they conceded a goal.

And her first goal with the club

-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sweet goal!

And what a pass...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nice job to the syb kids. Confidence goes a long way. Hopefully these successes will spur them forward on and off field.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:52 pm Nice job to the syb kids. Confidence goes a long way. Hopefully these successes will spur them forward on and off field.
Yeah, nice, Syb. Citgo, you are so right about having confidence. I remember back in the stone age when I was a high school wrestler, my coach once yelled at me that my problem was that I convinced myself before the match started whether I was going to win or lose. (I was fairly mediocre.)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Dude, that's awesome. Congrats!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Didn't thank god or mom. 4/10.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fucking awesome!

Sounds like the Rahway girl was a little handsy.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a kick ass name, btw.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

She’s a beast! Love her excitement in the interview. With that time she would beat all but one of the guys on our team. Have you ever thought of using your pre-Covid work address for school registration purposes?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

serrano wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm
She’s a beast! Love her excitement in the interview. With that time she would beat all but one of the guys on our team. Have you ever thought of using your pre-Covid work address for school registration purposes?
That is awesome and FAST.

Does she run in those glasses? If she is that fast how do they stay on? How do they not get covered in sweat? I am slow and can't run in mine. No need to go full Grant or Kareem rec-spec? Not even Croakies?

Fantastic job on the interview. Her first interaction had all the makings of a seasoned interviewee trained by the best
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great stuff, Rass. You must be stoked for her!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So since we are talking running, the GF's daughter (and the daughter's BF) just got back from doing a week long trail running trip in the Dolomites, and its been written up in Men's Journal:

Trail Running in the Dolomites Will Restore Your Sense of Wonder

Now she's leaving in a couple of weeks to go on the same kind of trip in Chile, in Patagonia.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That young lady is living her best life!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks guys.

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 pm
serrano wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:14 pm
That is awesome and FAST.

Does she run in those glasses? If she is that fast how do they stay on? How do they not get covered in sweat? I am slow and can't run in mine. No need to go full Grant or Kareem rec-spec? Not even Croakies?

Fantastic job on the interview. Her first interaction had all the makings of a seasoned interviewee trained by the best
She runs in those glasses, no strap or anything. We had her try contacts but she HATED them. Our youngest wears goggles for soccer and the older one had no interest in even trying them.

And the little punk had an idea that she might earn an interview if she repeated as champ for her division so she watched a bunch of them beforehand to figure out how to act.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And yeah, what SC said RE: DiS' GF's daughter. That's great.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:28 am That's a kick ass name, btw.
And his younger daughter's name is even cooler!
Cerrano wrote:With that time she would beat all but one of the guys on our team. Have you ever thought of using your pre-Covid work address for school registration purposes?
Tempting... I'd keep her running for a coach who won 3 straight championships rather than a coach who can't produce a decent runner.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:56 pm Thanks guys.

And the little punk had an idea that she might earn an interview if she repeated as champ for her division so she watched a bunch of them beforehand to figure out how to act.
That's awesome. I was going to send you a text, but I showed my wife the interview. She provides media training to executives and wanted you to tell Cass that she nailed it! She put the focus on the team winning over herself, talked about focusing on her time instead of winning, and was all-around professional and grownup. Great stuff.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I won something in high school and jokingly said to a reporter who was interrupting the celebration, "no autographs, feez, feez" in a Eddie Murphy Buckwheat voice. This was an improvement on that.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The