Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Giff »

Some liberals being screechy on the internet will never excuse being anti-transgender. You having to unfollow Shaun King and a transgendered youth killing themselves because much of society agrees with Dave Chappelle and JK Rowling aren't quite comparable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:32 pmTrans rights are seriously fucking important. But I'm going to get riled up over an anti trans bathroom law more than Dave Chappelle's jokes about them. If he's going to make jokes they better be done with precision and understanding. And if he fails miserably, call him out. He wrote a bad joke and should've done better. He didn't write the bill that became law and codified the actual discrimination.
I'm not saying "just a joke" and those laws are anywhere close to the same level of harm, but I would say they're more interconnected than you think. Look at the fight for gay rights in the 80s and 90s and stand up like Eddie Murphy's if you want a parallel.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:43 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:15 am
TT2.0 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:24 pm Bunch of people who are never going to have to go in front of a live crowd AND on a taped special armchair quarterbacking what they think the greatest comic of my generation should say is ironically laughable.
And, yet, a group you routinely ask to watch your standup and provide feedback.

You've got a number of dads on here with children that live the hardship of being "other" every day. Might be a decent approach to chill the fuck out, given that context.

Fine to have a strong opinion, obviously. But getting personal like that was pretty uncalled for.
This group has supported TT in so many different ways that this is very disappointing when he knows this. Not to mention the suicide rates among that group. There's not a more marginalized group. No one commits suicide because they're a woman or because they're black. State governments aren't trying to effectively illegalize their existence. The comparison is idiotic. Sad, man.

This group has supported me a lot, and thats kind of my conflict. At what point do I have to just say nothing and pretend like I agree with everyone else in here? Am I not allowed to have an opinion because this place has been exceedingly kind? Was that sentence out of line? Probably a little. Am I angry at the art form which I attempt to do for a living being attacked? Absolutely. I think the opinion that you cant make any kind of joke is exactly whats wrong with society today. It doesn't seem like its enough for someone not to like a joke anymore, now you have to go on the internet and try to make other people feel bad for what they are laughing at.
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You can separate 'comedy' from 'the content and context of someone's act', correct? Only one of those things have been criticized in this thread, or in any of the articles mentioned.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I better not hear any of you motherfuckers disparage even a single aspect of accounting. It is my art. It is my life.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:38 pm I better not hear any of you motherfuckers disparage even a single aspect of accounting. It is my art. It is my life.
Your debits look like credits
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Where were you when Herbert Kornfeld got canceled?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:52 pm Where were you when Herbert Kornfeld got canceled?
Ahh, yes. The gangsta king of Accountz Reeceevable for the premier office supplies company, Midstate Office Supply.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I HAVE REACHED THE LIMITS OF MY CYNICISM!!!!!!!

(I’m not sold I remembered the exact phrasing there.)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Downsview?

(y i think that was it)

((still haven't ever seen Dave Chappelle but i'll just continue to peer through the window from the bushes at you all...))
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 pm I HAVE REACHED THE LIMITS OF MY CYNICISM!!!!!!!

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:27 am Downsview?
Oh shit, someone blow Max's mind this morning.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:56 am
Oh shit, someone blow Max's mind this morning.
I don't want to do it. As the official Swamp archivist you should really have the honors.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay so I am taking this thread in a slightly different way than it has been for a few days but whatever..

I think T.T. has a pretty huge event coming up so giving him some congrats. Saw on FB that he is going to be throwing jokes ahead of a main act that has national recognition. Still not sure if John Caparulo is really funny or just gets me to giggle because he is kinda funny with a very funny voice...but whatever. That is a pretty big deal/opportunity.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:24 pm Bunch of people who are never going to have to go in front of a live crowd AND on a taped special armchair quarterbacking what they think the greatest comic of my generation should say is ironically laughable.

You've got a number of dads on here with children that live the hardship of being "other" every day. Might be a decent approach to chill the fuck out, given that context.

Fine to have a strong opinion, obviously. But getting personal like that was pretty uncalled for.
This group has supported TT in so many different ways that this is very disappointing when he knows this. Not to mention the suicide rates among that group. There's not a more marginalized group. No one commits suicide because they're a woman or because they're black. State governments aren't trying to effectively illegalize their existence. The comparison is idiotic. Sad, man.

This group has supported me a lot, and thats kind of my conflict. At what point do I have to just say nothing and pretend like I agree with everyone else in here? Am I not allowed to have an opinion because this place has been exceedingly kind? Was that sentence out of line? Probably a little. Am I angry at the art form which I attempt to do for a living being attacked? Absolutely. I think the opinion that you cant make any kind of joke is exactly whats wrong with society today. It doesn't seem like its enough for someone not to like a joke anymore, now you have to go on the internet and try to make other people feel bad for what they are laughing at.
You don't have to agree. But this isn't a standup show. There are great people on this board who have kids who are transgender and they don't deserve to read that shit when they come here. They have enough to worry about. Personally, I think criminalizing a person's actual being and the suicide rate is a tad bit worse than Dave Chappelle taking heat for saying he's anti-trans just because it's his "art" . Him saying he's "Team Terf" is hateful bigotry, not a joke. It's not different than a white comedian saying he's team KKK.

You basically want people to shut up. You picked this profession dude, no one made you. If people say stupid and hateful shit, they get called out on it. This is not new. If you can't handle it, maybe find something else to do?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:20 am
TT2.0 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 pm

You don't have to agree. But this isn't a standup show. There are great people on this board who have kids who are transgender and they don't deserve to read that shit when they come here. They have enough to worry about. Personally, I think criminalizing a person's actual being and the suicide rate is a tad bit worse than Dave Chappelle taking heat for saying he's anti-trans just because it's his "art" . Him saying he's "Team Terf" is hateful bigotry, not a joke. It's not different than a white comedian saying he's team KKK.

You basically want people to shut up. You picked this profession dude, no one made you. If people say stupid and hateful shit, they get called out on it. This is not new. If you can't handle it, maybe find something else to do?
No I want people to be able to speak. Im not on the side thats trying to get people pulled off of netflix. Saying hes "Team Terf" in the middle of a standup comedy set WAS a joke, and you can tell that because the people in the audience laughed. People joke about touchy subjects, especially comics. Are there trans jokes being done right now that you like and have your approval? What makes them different? Calling something bigotry doesnt make it so. If you didn't like the Chappelle special fine, dont watch it, but stop trying to take it away from those of us who enjoyed it.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 am Okay so I am taking this thread in a slightly different way than it has been for a few days but whatever..

I think T.T. has a pretty huge event coming up so giving him some congrats. Saw on FB that he is going to be throwing jokes ahead of a main act that has national recognition. Still not sure if John Caparulo is really funny or just gets me to giggle because he is kinda funny with a very funny voice...but whatever. That is a pretty big deal/opportunity.
I appreciate that man. The Caparulo show went well, and im traveling on with him to Lubbock on Sunday to open again.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(y i think that was it)

((still haven't ever seen Dave Chappelle but i'll just continue to peer through the window from the bushes at you all...))
mister d wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 pm I HAVE REACHED THE LIMITS OF MY CYNICISM!!!!!!!

OK, OK.

So former Swamper Downsview is the same person as former Swamper Pruitt, who is the same person as current Swamper pruitt2!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:04 am

(y i think that was it)

OK, OK.

So former Swamper Downsview is the same person as former Swamper Pruitt, who is the same person as current Swamper pruitt2!
Quit beating a dead horse.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:59 am
rass wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:04 am

(y i think that was it)

OK, OK.

Quit beating a dead horse.
Heh. Speaking of old Swampers who have recently suffered heart attacks, hdo is in the hospital. Send good thoughts his way.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

GTFO

no.

was i just in hibernation my entire time in Vancouver?

wtfffff
rass wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:04 am So former Swamper Downsview is the same person as former Swamper Pruitt, who is the same person as current Swamper pruitt2!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fk.

hang in there hdo
brian wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 am Speaking of old Swampers who have recently suffered heart attacks, hdo is in the hospital. Send good thoughts his way.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:12 pm fk.

hang in there hdo
brian wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:32 am Speaking of old Swampers who have recently suffered heart attacks, hdo is in the hospital. Send good thoughts his way.
I think this one is a scheduled stop at least. Had a heart attack a month or so back and I think he's got surgery now to correct some things.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's good. He's a tough MFer. I think he'll be around awhile.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 am Okay so I am taking this thread in a slightly different way than it has been for a few days but whatever..

I appreciate that man. The Caparulo show went well, and im traveling on with him to Lubbock on Sunday to open again.
When I flew out of Lubbock, I saw Jesus on the plane.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm

When I flew out of Lubbock, I saw Jesus on the plane.
Maybe it was Elvis.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 pmWhen I flew out of Lubbock, I saw Jesus on the plane.
Every time I’ve read this line my brain has finished it with “his hair was perfect”. Not even sure why since it’s not all that close to the lyrics.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

This might be the unfunniest routine I've ever seen.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:44 am This might be the unfunniest routine I've ever seen.

Jim Breuer was always a lunatic, but his close friend was hospitalized early during the COVID pandemic. He is convinced his friend deteriorated and died because they wouldn't allow any visitors due to COVID policies. I don't remember the details, but he snapped and was convinced of some crazy conspiracies after that.
Last edited by The Sybian on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Also, Jim Breuer was never funny. Not once.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:44 am This might be the unfunniest routine I've ever seen.

What a version of Christianity. "Find jobs that don't require Covid vaccines"?
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am Also, Jim Breuer was never funny. Not once.
I will always love the AC/DC Hokey Pokey.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

At first, I thought the guy in the audience at the :09 mark was Bill Gates.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:06 am Also, Jim Breuer was never funny. Not once.
Worked on his pilot in 1999(?), can confirm.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Had some audible lolz during Mark Normands set on Netflix's the Standups. Real good stuff. The others have been kind of meh so far but I'm still working my way through it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:22 pm
Worked on his pilot in 1999(?), can confirm.
He's had a couple of decent sets, but once you've seen him act like a lizard/dinosaur/whatever he does with his arms and mouth and eyes... You very quickly realize he's just not that sharp.

His latest foray into tinfoil hatland is not surprising in the least.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:34 am Had some audible lolz during Mark Normands set on Netflix's the Standups. Real good stuff. The others have been kind of meh so far but I'm still working my way through it.
The Brian Simmons set was really strong. I think he needs to restructure the routine, but some really funny stuff. Marc Normand was pretty good, but Naomi Epkergin was lame and Melissa Villasenor's set was unwatchable. She seemed unrehearsed - not really a routine, and she seemed uncomfortable. We switched it off after 10 minutes.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:59 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:34 am Had some audible lolz during Mark Normands set on Netflix's the Standups. Real good stuff. The others have been kind of meh so far but I'm still working my way through it.
The Brian Simmons set was really strong. I think he needs to restructure the routine, but some really funny stuff. Marc Normand was pretty good, but Naomi Epkergin was lame and Melissa Villasenor's set was unwatchable. She seemed unrehearsed - not really a routine, and she seemed uncomfortable. We switched it off after 10 minutes.
I've only seen Simpson and Normand so far. I love Mark Normand, I'll listen to any podcast when he is the guest [oddly, I've never listened to his podcast(s)]. Normand's set was classic Normand, amazingly sharp one-liners in a dry sarcastic style. Clearly Norm MacDonald was his biggest influence, but he has his own style. Simpson was pretty good. I love his bit about Google saving his life. Touching, dark, hilarious and I wasn't expecting a twist, but the last line was great. I've seen clips of Melissa Villasenor interviews, and she seems not quite right. She can't hold a conversation without slipping into various impersonations. I don't think it's just her act, I don't think she is comfortable holding a conversation for 5 minutes and it's a crutch. She does some amazing impersonations, but unless she has a script written for her, she can be painfully unfunny.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Villasenor is a great example of someone built for sketch, scripted comedy and not much else. She's EXTREMELY awkward as a stand-up. I was going through a phase of watching a lot of longer sets on YouTube earlier this year and she popped up. Like pru, I only got 7 or so minutes in and bailed.

Just super awkward in her skin. I mean, there are lots of comedians that combat that awkwardness by just having a fully laid out set and just barrelling through it. Villasenor just seemed so unsure with when to transition, when to let laughs roll, etc.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Twilts. I appreciate all these posts about that show. I enjoy standup comedy but don’t see it often so I don’t know the names or whom to check out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian