Re: Commercials

Post by tennbengal »

A new Dr. Rick commercial!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 am
Reaper wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:10 pm Am I the only one who thinks the Rob Gronkowski commercials for USAA are sort of tone deaf? It's kinda well-known that it's only for veterans and their families, but Gronk is trying (in the two ads I've seen so far) to get his own policy just based off his fame and wants the rules bent because of that, even though he's obviously not a vet, which just seems weird to me.
Stolen Valor!
Haha.

Kinda made me so a double take too. But then again I was told they were involved in some shenanigans recently and they haven't had the best service over the past few years. I've almost completely divested myself from their services, personally. My wife still uses them though.

So Gronk can have my spot.

In fact, as I'm typing this on my phone, I'm on my wife's phone talking to them. Over an hour and counting to add my stuff in my storage facility to her renter's insurance.

The first person to help was new and having system issues and kicked us over to someone else after 35 minutes of fumbling around. Now the person I'm talking to is having trouble spelling Albuquerque and taking his sweet time getting this taken care of with the proper amount of coverage.

This service is awful now.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I saw that the IPL sold the naming rights to timeouts this season and it's only a matter of time before one of the American leagues figures out they could do the same. How much would a company pay if every time a timeout was called in the NFL it was a "GEICO Timeout" or a "Bud Light timeout".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And then how quickly would the NFL mandate that all teams must use all of their timeouts.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 am I saw that the IPL sold the naming rights to timeouts this season and it's only a matter of time before one of the American leagues figures out they could do the same. How much would a company pay if every time a timeout was called in the NFL it was a "GEICO Timeout" or a "Bud Light timeout".
They already do this. I can't find the article from the City Paper that highlighted this practice
A technique created by the Redskins Broadcast Network in the Snyder era to cram in all the advertising sold on Redskins radio broadcasts. No segment of a Skins game goes unsponsored, leading to fabulous listening moments such as: “The GMRI scoreboard brought to you by McDonald’s.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sure, that's not entirely uncommon but I'm talking about the league actually selling it and mandating that their broadcast partners refer to it as a "White Claw Seltzer timeout".
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am And then how quickly would the NFL mandate that all teams must use all of their timeouts.
Well they kind of do this today.
On an NFL Sideline the 2 key commercial guys are the Red Sleeves and Green hat
Green hat: Sideline television coordinator, the person responsible for administering commercial breaks with broadcasters.

Orange sleeves: This person, employed by the broadcasting network, works with the one wearing the green hat to administer commercial breaks.
I was having lunch with a college lax teammate. He does software sales now, but was a news sportscaster right after graduating and as he was transitioning to sales was the green hat at FedEx Field. He was telling stories about being on the sideline (which was great) but he also was talking about the green hat rules. His job was to make sure the commercials were done evenly/fairly to the game. So he had the rules and controls. For example he got to determine if a requested commercial break would happen after a punt (i.e. fox) or do they go straight to play.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am
mister d wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:53 am And then how quickly would the NFL mandate that all teams must use all of their timeouts.
Well they kind of do this today.
On an NFL Sideline the 2 key commercial guys are the Red Sleeves and Green hat
Green hat: Sideline television coordinator, the person responsible for administering commercial breaks with broadcasters.

Orange sleeves: This person, employed by the broadcasting network, works with the one wearing the green hat to administer commercial breaks.
I was having lunch with a college lax teammate. He does software sales now, but was a news sportscaster right after graduating and as he was transitioning to sales was the green hat at FedEx Field. He was telling stories about being on the sideline (which was great) but he also was talking about the green hat rules. His job was to make sure the commercials were done evenly/fairly to the game. So he had the rules and controls. For example he got to determine if a requested commercial break would happen after a punt (i.e. fox) or do they go straight to play.
That's been done in most televised sports for at least 30 years, and local broadcasts almost always have sponsored segments like the GEICO Out of Town Scoreboard, or GEICO Player of the Game, but that's much different than the NFL mandating the ref say "GEICO Time out charged to the Lines," or requiring every local broadcast to use the league sponsor.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My thoughts while seeing that commercial last night for the first time:

:01 through :02 - Jlo! WTF is she in a commercial for? Is it that garlic vitamin thing?
:03 - Yup!
:04 through :20 - *transfixed by her abs, I mean look at how they move, whoa*
:21 through :24 - I manage to tear my eyes from her belly and decide that for a celebrity over 50 who if we’re being honest looks completely different than she did when she first got famous her face still looks great and not at all fake
:25 - Jen-ergy! Ha.

{my wife, nestled under the covers at 10:30 on a Friday night gives a soft “ha”}

:26 through the end - I point at my wife and shout “Jenn-ergy!”
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

I've enjoyed these. I don't know why. (Though I did have to look up the meaning of "skint".)

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

“We’re not ‘Big Pizza’! We’re Little Caesar’s!”

What a load of bullshit. $3.8 billion in annual revenues. 5,400 global locations. “Big Pizza”.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Vas eet fun?”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Reaper wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:10 pm Am I the only one who thinks the Rob Gronkowski commercials for USAA are sort of tone deaf? It's kinda well-known that it's only for veterans and their families, but Gronk is trying (in the two ads I've seen so far) to get his own policy just based off his fame and wants the rules bent because of that, even though he's obviously not a vet, which just seems weird to me.
Shouldn’t they be done with Kellen Winslow Jr. telling everyone he’s a soldier?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 pm
Shouldn’t they be done with Kellen Winslow Jr. telling everyone he’s a soldier?
[/quote]

Or selling motorcycles.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

“Grand larceny”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pretty sick of Heineken’s holiday commercial already but I do appreciate how they really make the green of the bottles pop against the color palette of the clothes of the actors and the rest of the set. Pretty.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The 30-second version of commercial got an audible laughter from me during this afternoon's football games. I'll post the full 3-minute version from Jason and Ivan Reitman

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Have I mentioned how that fucking moving painting Meta commercial seems to be perfectly designed to bug me? Holy shit. The long version puts me on edge.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:50 pm Have I mentioned how that fucking moving painting Meta commercial seems to be perfectly designed to bug me? Holy shit. The long version puts me on edge.
The real painting is hanging in the Cleveland Museum of Art. It’s pretty bizarre to look at even when it isn’t moving.

And fuck Facebook.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone should fill Michelle Scalise's mouth with concrete.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:52 pm Someone should fill Michelle Scalise's mouth with concrete.
Just looked her up and if it's who I think you're talking about, she sounds like Annie Potts's character in Ghostbusters but without the charm.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[takes a long hit of helium and squeezes nose closed] Cooooooome get some.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Done watching pete neubacher chew.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do want to smell like Lenny when he sings that song, though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It appears to me that Kate MacKinnon never quite mastered the skill of walking in high heels.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:23 pm It appears to me that Kate MacKinnon never quite mastered the skill of walking in high heels.
Wy wife and I were talking about this last night. I was thinking she was just doing some exaggerated funny walk and The Woman says "no, she just can't walk in heels."

That's the kind of analysis you don't just get anywhere.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She does walk across “ice” in one of those. It’s like she forgot to stop faking that.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:23 pm It appears to me that Kate MacKinnon never quite mastered the skill of walking in high heels.
That commercial (and her) just...I find it really upsetting. I don't know why. The ways she's awkwardly marching right at me or something. Her whole manner. I hate it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

She’s marching awkwardly at me again.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:48 am
That commercial (and her) just...I find it really upsetting. I don't know why. The ways she's awkwardly marching right at me or something. Her whole manner. I hate it.
She's like an overacting pre-teen hopped up on sugar who thinks she is entertaining, but is actually at the other end of the scale.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think it’s intended to convey a sense of urgency? To drop your phone plan and do some other phone plan?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:49 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:48 am
She's like an overacting pre-teen hopped up on sugar who thinks she is entertaining, but is actually at the other end of the scale.
This. I hate it so much.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Really weird that there’s a slightly longer version of the Bud Light Tie-dye Seltzer cans exploding commercial where the women are all horny for the dude in the towel and that I’ve only seen it like twice if I’ve seen the version without that 100+ times.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Bruh. Ruffles? Really? A commercial like this for fucking potato chips?

It's like they were trying to capture the vibe of a Modelo commercial and forgot they're fucking Ruffles.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Seeing Cooper Manning in commercials makes me think of that dude on Instagram named Kirby Jenner who was satirically Kylie Jenner's "twin" who then memed himself into real life existence with an actual satirical Kardashian/Jenner TV show.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt11434592/
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Wavy Lays > Ruffles anyway.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:53 pm Wavy Lays > Ruffles anyway.
We can put aside Christmas story beef to agree here.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Wavy Lays is a good way to pile grease. Gimme the Simply Frito Lays all day. Hell the Dorito version is almost halfway as good as the standard, 10 years off your life Nacho Cheese Doritos.
Noli Timere Messorem