Man's Best Friend

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Man's Best Friend

Post by govmentchedda »

So damn tiny. You should see them walk. They still haven't completely figured out how to use their legs. Bill especially does not enjoy getting swaddled like that to be fed and always wriggles his paws out.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 am https://photos.app.goo.gl/72oYHFVYzwVq7n7t7

OK, I think this will work. The lighter one is Bill the darker one is Ted.
That's the stuff... what an incredible experience for your kids.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 am https://photos.app.goo.gl/72oYHFVYzwVq7n7t7

Excellent!

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's so great.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

That’s socrates, chedda.

(I knew I shouldn’t have hit submit but I couldn’t help myself.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

serrano wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 pm That’s socrates, chedda.

(I knew I shouldn’t have hit submit but I couldn’t help myself.)
Ha ha. Good one, serrano.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would pay a decent amount to fast forward a week when Spence will be done recovering from his no-fucking surgery.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:03 pm I would pay a decent amount to fast forward a week when Spence will be done recovering from his no-fucking surgery.
Did you ever post a photo? This place has rules, you know.

Kitten update: they're each over a pound now, but not yet ready for the no-fucking surgery. Vet says Bill's big belly might mean he has worms, I just think he's a hungry kitten. Either way, I have to give him meds for a few days.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They're only supposed to remove his balls!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 am They're only supposed to remove his balls!
Or just remove one and leave one in his abdomen.
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

DF8F9924-CB89-4C45-8EF2-7836EB905B7E.jpeg
DF8F9924-CB89-4C45-8EF2-7836EB905B7E.jpeg (48.59 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Welp, we were going to wait until summer 2022 to get back into the pooch racket but we were approached by one of Rass’s neighbors to take in their dog because he wasn’t getting much attention over there due to the fact that the family is always working. So here’s Peluche. We got him somewhat unexpected Lu on Tuesday night. (We were under the impression we doing a second meet-and-greet.) He’s a very good boy.

Thanks for talking us up to your neighbors, Rass. We owe you big time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's a good looking boy.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I thought everyone would like to know that I am in agony today and it is all because of a poop bag dispenser. Took the dog out for a walk this morning, as per usual, and put his poop bag dispenser in my left front pocket, also as per usual. But today I decided to slip and fall on a stair, and landed directly on it. Hard plastic cylinder against femur. Do not do that. I’ve barely been able to get around all day.

The worst part is that the neighborhood has multiple well-stocked poop bag stations, including one right outside my door. Totally unnecessary self own by me.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

6FD2B780-9F8F-4264-856D-D084A0E63D4F.jpeg
6FD2B780-9F8F-4264-856D-D084A0E63D4F.jpeg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Look at this fucking murder weapon. Between the bone ends that come out like knuckles and the little tab that lets you attach it to the dog collar I guess, it’s a wonder that this is still allowed on the market.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That “dispenser” looks like reverse sex.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You’re doing cowgirl all wrong.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Primitive root wiener right to the femur. Ouch.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And fuck yeah Peluche. Gonna miss him peeking over the fence at me but otherwise this is just the best.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Returned an escape artist dog to its owners a few doors down today. I actually thought it was their older dog but it turned out to be one they got a couple of weeks ago who looks like the older dog. Another neighbor was freaking out and had a stick trying to keep him away so I thought he was being aggressive. But no, just curious. Owners had no idea he was out. Somehow got the fence gate open. He’s a boxer but basically a big idiot the owner said.

Second time we’ve found one of their dogs out. The other was a wiener dog a few years ago.

ETA: his name is rowlf which is awesome and we have plans to have cocktails with the owners on Friday to plan Halloween trick or treat stuff.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This guy could not be more confused by a hardboiled egg.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Any of you guys order your dog's meds online?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Our vet just told us they're no longer signing off on online scripts. We just assumed it was for their own profit but heard from an unrelated 3rd party that counterfeits are a huge problem on sites like Chewy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just ordered from Chewy for the first time. Was sort of a PITA because I had to go get the rx from the vet and then mail it (stamps!!) to them (in Louisville!!) but even without the first-time customer discount it was like $50 cheaper than ordering through the vet.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha. I was 1/2 expecting the vet to charge for the service.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yes, I use 1-800-PetMeds and it's pretty great. I fill out the order, give them the name of my vet and they handle confirming the prescription for me. Just takes a couple of days. No extra charge from my vet and it's overall much easier and cheaper for me.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:36 am Yes, I use 1-800-PetMeds and it's pretty great. I fill out the order, give them the name of my vet and they handle confirming the prescription for me. Just takes a couple of days. No extra charge from my vet and it's overall much easier and cheaper for me.
We did this one time and my vet took us on such a guilt trip we never did it again. It's stupid. I don't understand why heartworm and flea and tick are prescription but dudes can go eat horse paste whenever they want.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:36 am Yes, I use 1-800-PetMeds and it's pretty great. I fill out the order, give them the name of my vet and they handle confirming the prescription for me. Just takes a couple of days. No extra charge from my vet and it's overall much easier and cheaper for me.
We did this one time and my vet took us on such a guilt trip we never did it again. It's stupid. I don't understand why heartworm and flea and tick are prescription but dudes can go eat horse paste whenever they want.
Your vet's an ass. My vet's never said a word to me about it and there's never a delay in getting the meds. If your vet complained to you, that's a big red flag to me, because it tells me they care more about their profits than your pet.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah there's 3rd-party services (like Vetsource) that allow vets to have their own virtual storefront so they get a cut (and don't have to store inventory on site). If they're not up on that it's not any customer's fault.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:42 pm
Your vet's an ass. My vet's never said a word to me about it and there's never a delay in getting the meds. If your vet complained to you, that's a big red flag to me, because it tells me they care more about their profits than your pet.
They pulled the same "well we can do this but we really prefer not to because of all the counterfeit medication out there and we don't want to be responsible for that" like they aren't ordering out of the same warehouses/fulfillment centers.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I had an eye doctor office that was a little pushy about ordering contacts for me. They were way more expensive, so I'd ask for the prescription. Office lady would get a little pissy. My current doctor's office is somehow cheaper than any online store I can find, and they take care of the insurance reimbursements to boot. It's fantastic. No more digging to find and upload prescriptions, or enter doctors info and wait for them to send the prescription.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:36 pm
They pulled the same "well we can do this but we really prefer not to because of all the counterfeit medication out there and we don't want to be responsible for that" like they aren't ordering out of the same warehouses/fulfillment centers.
Honestly, I'd probably change vets. I get very nervous about any medical provider that's so concerned about squeezing a bit more money out of you. And how would they be responsible for you buying counterfeit meds? Either way, 1-800-PetMeds seems to be a legit site to me. They usually offer you either the brand name medicines or generic, if available.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:59 pm
BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Honestly, I'd probably change vets. I get very nervous about any medical provider that's so concerned about squeezing a bit more money out of you. And how would they be responsible for you buying counterfeit meds? Either way, 1-800-PetMeds seems to be a legit site to me. They usually offer you either the brand name medicines or generic, if available.
I've been looking at changing for a while now. Just too lazy to do it. They have been very good about our pets over the years and they're a very small local clinic so I understand. I just wish they'd be straight up with me. Maybe I caught her on a bad day. IDK.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, our vet was real cool about giving us a paper prescription, so we could use it elsewhere, rather than buying through the vet's office. Shouldn't be any issue.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Old dogs, man...

We're well into the wandering aimlessly around the house, staring at walls phase of aging. I can hear him walking around upstairs, and in an extreme example, it took him over two hours yesterday morning (after eating) to finally plop down in his bed and fall asleep. This morning I thought he was good but when I went upstairs to brush my teeth he was standing next to his bed, basking in the sun. When I walked over to get a closer look, his eyes were closed. He was asleep!

Physically, the vet says he's suffering from some arthritis and loss of muscle mass (though he thought the latter had stabilized at his last visit) in his back legs. I've been carrying him down our main stairs in the morning for months. I think I'm about to the point where I need to carry him down our front steps (2) because he occasionally decides to just jump from the top instead of stepping down and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself, especially if his back legs can't stick the landing.

He still eats and drinks con mucho gusto (yeah) and processes all of that normally. But the decline is noticeable and ongoing and sad.

I think his condition, along with the stress of working in public health through the pandemic and the realization of just how much people suck has caused my wife to go full crazy dog lady. She's loaded up her social media feeds with animal shelters and dog-oriented accounts, especially senior dogs ("frosted-faces", oh no). I've had to keep track of the names of her favorites so I know WTF she's talking about sometimes. Better than doom scrolling, I guess.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Oh man, poor Gus. Thinking about you, good boy.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

He is a lucky old boy to have you taking such good care of him.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Poor Gus. My all-time favorite poker player.

We recently had to put down one one of our old cats. A very sad day that was.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we did it

That's Penny. And that's Stout.

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The one on the bottom is new, yeah?

Congrats!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Perfect name for that coloring. Good looking pup!