Swamp Cooking Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

Huzzah!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm in for one of each.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:41 pm HotSauce and HotJam v2021 are packaged up. and do have a fair # of earlier versions as well.
pepper crop wasn't as generous this year as before (may have goofed in where i put the bed, too much shade).

can also be found on FB - @HotJuanSauceNJam

still working out the website details.
I’ll take o one of each, juan. Will be bottles 11 and 12 of which we have a few.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Anyone subscribe to butcher box, or other similar protein delivery service? If so, what are your thoughts?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:55 am Anyone subscribe to butcher box, or other similar protein delivery service? If so, what are your thoughts?
louthegiantrat went in on a pig. Basically a co-op model of buying part of an animal and getting the butchered output when it was ready. Was a big fan. Needed lots of space in the freezer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

We've thought about that as well. Not sure I have the freezer space for that much.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In urban areas, I’ve read they reel you in on solid cuts and then pull back and over sausage later.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't feel like starting a "Swamp Baking Thread" so I'll just let everyone here know today is my annual attempt at building a cake (or something).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm making brown butter chocolate chip cookies tonight so I can chalk up another for the baking side of things
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

will attempt to ship all orders this friday.
work's a bear (switching business units again, got to learn a whole new business again), baby is due in 23 days, house isn't quite ready, and running a Ragnar Trail this weekend.. for which i'm not in shape for.

but HotSauce!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Priorities, man!

Seems like you've got them figured out
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

one out of each to Serrano, Chedda and Giff.. should get between saturday and tuesday. details on your PMs

would love to hear the feedback.
the jam isn't as jammy as i'd like it to be.. needed more pectin.. but it is damn delicious.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I've only sampled the jam with my finger, but it's fucking delicious. It would be amazing with fried chicken. The sauce is as great as it always was.

Thanks, Juan!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Urban Meyer wrote: I've only sampled the jam with my finger, but it's fucking delicious.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

God dangit that's perfect.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just made some butterdeeznutz squash soup with farmer's market produce. I'm going back to throw another punch of salt into it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

so the MIL is in town and will be here for some time to help out w the incoming little flaco.
the missus is happy about it, says she'll need the help as she did last (long) time(ago)
i remind her we are strictly wfh and we have a growing 15yo who can do everything but drive, grudgingly and sometimes under duress, but he'll help out.. so maybe not a months long visit..
why is this in the cooking thread... well the MIL told the missus she wants to help out and do all the cooking.
F that.
its my kitchen.
i do the cooking.
its my time. my music, my glass of whatever. she can have one or two days max.
she tells me she's trying to help and i can use the break. nope. i enjoy doing it and no, i don't need help (even as i call the boy down to help out, but that has another purpose all-together)
i mean, i'll enjoy the home cooked greek food. but i ain't having it all friggin week. nope.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Now I do envy you and good luck buddy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

hey Rass, to better shoot soccer games and track meets.. finally got a video tripod and a new lens.. pretty sweet. we'll have to catch up and talk cameras at a track meet or three.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 am hey Rass, to better shoot soccer games and track meets.. finally got a video tripod and a new lens.. pretty sweet. we'll have to catch up and talk cameras at a track meet or three.
Yeah man! The kid doesn't run HS XC, right?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

nah, he is playing HS soccer.
His club started training already. and he told the club coach he will prioritize track in the winter/spring.
he does want me to sign him up for 5ks in the area.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:37 am Now I do envy you and good luck buddy.
Yeah, if she feels the need to cook, my kitchen is always open to her. And you for that matter.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Timely.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Made this recipe last night from Bone Ape Tit.

Hotter than I expected but the flavor was great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'd say that recipes sites are one of the only acceptable exceptions to the "never read the comments" rule. You too good for advice from DAVEG in Pittsburgh, PA?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 am I'd say that recipes sites are one of the only acceptable exceptions to the "never read the comments" rule. You too good for advice from DAVEG in Pittsburgh, PA?
I actually did use Gochujang! That's all the chili paste I could find. But I'm a dainty hillbilly who didn't even eat buffalo wings until I was 18. Althought the woman also thought it was very spicy and she likes it way spicier than I do.

HEY NOW!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just sweatin' in your overalls
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 am I'd say that recipes sites are one of the only acceptable exceptions to the "never read the comments" rule. You too good for advice from DAVEG in Pittsburgh, PA?
This recipe is ANTI AMERICAN and BA should be ASHAMED of not using AMERICAN CHILI PASTE!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If that wrestling sim is ever restarted we now have AB's new nickname.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:47 am If that wrestling sim is ever restarted we now have AB's new nickname.
is WORLD CHAMPION not a good enough moniker for you?!?!?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am
This recipe is ANTI AMERICAN and BA should be ASHAMED of not using AMERICAN CHILI PASTE!
"Used metal skewers instead of bamboo. After soaking in water for an hour there were signs of rust. My family doesn't like ethnic food so I omitted the rice vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, sriracha and ginger. Came out way too sweet. Would not make again."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 am
"Used metal skewers instead of bamboo. After soaking in water for an hour there were signs of rust. My family doesn't like ethnic food so I omitted the rice vinegar, chili paste, fish sauce, sriracha and ginger. Came out way too sweet. Would not make again."
I did grill a bbq breast for the kid. I contain multitudes.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Wonder how much better it would be with skin on still.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 am
Say what you will at least BA can just print a recipe.

GRILLED CHICKEN WITH MANGO SALSA:

"My husband and I were on a trek through South America. You seem, he's half Peruvian and due to a mix up with the airline we were unable to take our honeymoon in 2005 so we went in 2006. This was after my second child. His name is Tim. He's named Tim because my ex-husband really liked Tim Curry. Speaking of Curry I have a great recipe for that coming out next week. Anyway, we're hiking in the Andes and our guide says "have you ever had a mango?". I had NEVER HEARD OF IT. So we're on the second day of our hike and I start thinking about our weekly family dinner. Now this is a dinner where we eat as a family and we all pick one cheeky little dish and throw it into a hat. HOW FUN, RIGHT?? So I decided right then and there to invent fusion cuisine."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Back in the day I used to subscribe to Food and Wine Magazine (remember magazines?) and made a lot of their recipes. I could have used a comment section when I made the spicy Peruvian Meatball Stew. Recipe called for "one canned chipotle pepper," I misread that as one can chipotle peppers, so I put in the entire can. I was shooting fire out my ass the next day, but it tasted really good! (The soup, not the ass-fire) This was early days in dating my wife, and I called 3 or 4 times to push back our date time, and I called 3 or 4 times to push back the meeting time for our date that day. I made enough for 4 or 5 meals, and you better believe I finished all the leftovers. I need to revisit that recipe and make it correctly.

I just remembered how I discovered the mistake. For my birthday, my wife arranged a group cooking class with Top Chef Masters contestant Sue Torres. My wife told her about that soup and Sue told me one canned chipotle is enough, and I should go back and reread the recipe. She was also horrified by my knife skills because my wife told her I was a chef. Having eaten her mother's cooking, I can see her conflating my talents with a real chef.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Speaking of chipotles I made this a couple of weekends ago. It calls for 1+ cans but one of those is for the marinade. I try to remember to make it at least once a summer (and always forget to print it out and get worried that I won't be able to find the link, gonna print it now). I also usually add tomatoes to the cornbread salad, diced cherry or grape that I drain a bit, rather than serving them on the side.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The meal is good for lunch today. I did bring in some sour cream to the equation, however.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:59 amShe was also horrified by my knife skills because my wife told her I was a chef. Having eaten her mother's cooking, I can see her conflating my talents with a real chef.
Any chance this involved cutting onions? Because the way real cooks do it is fucked up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:02 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:59 amShe was also horrified by my knife skills because my wife told her I was a chef. Having eaten her mother's cooking, I can see her conflating my talents with a real chef.
Any chance this involved cutting onions? Because the way real cooks do it is fucked up.
I think it was a red onion. She asked me to chop, looked at me with disgust and asked who trained me to chop. I had to explain I wasn't a trained chef, then she said she couldn't look at me chop as it gave her anxiety. At least I didn't cut myself. I wonder what I did with the recipe. We made stacked handmade tortillas with shrimp and picked red onions and maybe guac. It was amazing.
-Pruitt