NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: NFL Offseason Thread

Post by Rush2112 »

Adam Schefter reporting Gabbert traded to San Fran for a 6th rounder. How the "mighty" have fallen.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote:Adam Schefter reporting Gabbert traded to San Fran for a 6th rounder. How the "mighty" have fallen.
No kidding. San Francisco was in the Super Bowl two years ago and now this?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't know if there was one person outside of Missouri and the Jax front office that thought Gabbert would ever be good.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote:Adam Schefter reporting Gabbert traded to San Fran for a 6th rounder. How the "mighty" have fallen.
The Niners got burned in this deal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote:I don't know if there was one person outside of Missouri and the Jax front office that thought Gabbert would ever be good.
The "handcuffed by an average supporting cast" line slays me. His top three receivers 2010 have all played in the NFL. Not well and not stars, but I'm not sure you can say "average supporting cast" when that happens.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

After all these years and example after example after example about how titles aren't won with splashy free agent acquisitions, why the hell does anyone get excited about this crap anymore? I see everyone on Twitter either freaking out or flipping out because their team signed Guy XYZ or some other team got the backup safety they wanted.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Twitter was broken earlier and people were freaking the f out.

Championships aren't won in FA, but they can be lost.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Adam Schefter tweeting that the Broncos have signed Aquib Talib. Yeah, buddy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Adam Schefter tweeting that the Broncos have signed Aquib Talib. Yeah, buddy.
Offseason champions!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice so he can come up lame in the AFCCG and Dobson can go off!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:Nice so he can come up lame in the AFCCG and Dobson can go off!
So, when you are out here, we can quaff a couple. I'll drink to Aquib Talib. You drink to Aaron Dobson. Mine will taste better!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote:
So, when you are out here, we can quaff a couple. I'll drink to Aquib Talib. You drink to Aaron Dobson. Mine will taste better!
I'm hoping for Revis.

I loved Aquib, but that's a shit load of dollars for a guy that hasn't played a whole season.

Denver is going all in now. They are just going to be fucked when all those rookie contracts come up. (Last year Peyton and Champ the only players on the roster making more than 9 mil. I think DT is going to command a bit more than that.)

I fly in Sunday night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I get why they're doing it and all. When your QB is 38 and one shot to the head in the wrong spot could cripple him, that's the very definition of a short window. But if they don't win this year, they're pretty much fucked for half a decade.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

If the Browns do get Revis, they will likely have a game finish 0-0 this season.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Talib stings a lot more than welker. Defense is still good but it was great with talib and mayo and wilfork. Have to disagree on the manning short window justification. Wrong strategy. That's all the more reason you don't mortgage the future on one guys health. You have to have depth at the expense of first string quality. I guess its ok to splurge on qb, cb, DT but the pats have been burned pretty much without fail on high priced free agents so I'd much rather five solid guys. NFL really should expand rosters to 60 or 65 so teams can stash and develop guys. Problem with the depth theory is you end up having to cut some only to pick up other guys to fill out a practice squad.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
sancarlos wrote:
I'm hoping for Revis.

I loved Aquib, but that's a shit load of dollars for a guy that hasn't played a whole season.

Denver is going all in now. They are just going to be fucked when all those rookie contracts come up. (Last year Peyton and Champ the only players on the roster making more than 9 mil. I think DT is going to command a bit more than that.)

I fly in Sunday night.
1. Why are you adding a "u"?

2. The Talib/Revis comparisons of missed games is interesting. Throughout six seasons, Talib has missed 19 games, though five of those have been through suspension. So 14 injury related games. In seven seasons, Revis has missed 17 games. Yes, 14 were related to one injury, but is one big injury better than small ones leading to a few each season?

But hey, he's not a Patriot any longer so he's not nearly as useful.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:

2. The Talib/Revis comparisons of missed games is interesting. Throughout six seasons, Talib has missed 19 games, though five of those have been through suspension. So 14 injury related games. In seven seasons, Revis has missed 17 games. Yes, 14 were related to one injury, but is one big injury better than small ones leading to a few each season?

Because I don't know how to spell his first name off the top of my head I followed his lead?

A ACL tear is typically not a recurring injury. Talib has missed those games due to the same hamstring and hip issues. That's a recurring injury. Also, does your games missed count include partial games? Talib left at least 3 games early last year.

I'd like Revis, but I've heard that he won't restructure/take a pay cut so I guess it's on to DRC, Browner or the like.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Because I don't know how to spell his first name off the top of my head I followed his lead?

A ACL tear is typically not a recurring injury. Talib has missed those games due to the same hamstring and hip issues. That's a recurring injury. Also, does your games missed count include partial games? Talib left at least 3 games early last year.

I'd like Revis, but I've heard that he won't restructure/take a pay cut so I guess it's on to DRC, Browner or the like.
1. Why are you not adding an "n"?
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DeMarcus Ware to the Broncos. i'll drink to him, too.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Wasn't "they're not recurring injuries!" the same reasoning used for the Amendola signing too? And that didn't exactly go as planned the first season.

People get hurt playing football. Health is luck, but it's also a skill. Even if you want to throw in those three games int Talib's total, 17 and 17 isn't too unbalanced with a one-year experience gap.

You're just as down on the deal as you are because he left the Patriots AND went to the Broncos.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Wasn't "they're not recurring injuries!" the same reasoning used for the Amendola signing too? And that didn't exactly go as planned the first season.

You're just as down on the deal as you are because he left the Patriots AND went to the Broncos.
Amendola has played a entire 16 game schedule Talib has not. I am not "down on the deal" because he left the Patriots. There was no way the Pats could match the money that the Broncos threw at him. From reports the Pats offered 40 million to Talib over 4 years, the Broncos gave almost 20 million more for 2 more years and a crap load of guaranteed money. Maybe the Patriots could have matched that by back loading but I'd rather have flexibility in building the roster in the future and stay successful then have to blow my team up because you can't afford to resign guys.

There is a reason that the Patriots have been successful for more than a decade and it's not blowing massive money on an injury prone player (and Amendola cost all of 2 million last year, and even with missing time had the second most catches/yards on the team. Perhaps not blow you out of the water numbers but certainly not horrible bang for the buck.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Amendola makes Talib look like Lou Gehrig.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

And Talib being hurt in the AFCCG (aside from the fact that it means the Steelers won't make the Super Bowl next year, which is wrong as fuck sons) means the Patriots cheap-shotted him.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

sancarlos wrote:DeMarcus Ware to the Broncos. i'll drink to him, too.
I'll put on my Dallas 94 and drink a toast in sadness...
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Reports are coming out that Brandon Weeden will be released on Monday. Shocking, I know.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:Amendola makes Talib look like Lou Gehrig.
You do NOT want to get Aqib Talib's disease. Trust me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Gunpowder wrote:And Talib being hurt in the AFCCG (aside from the fact that it means the Steelers won't make the Super Bowl next year, which is wrong as fuck sons) means the Patriots cheap-shotted him.
He'll probably get hurt before then, and fucking stop with the damn Amendola/Talib comparisons. Two totally different positions and a hell of a difference in money between the two.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

and Revis just got cut.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

But Revis loves being paid huge dollars
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:And Talib being hurt in the AFCCG (aside from the fact that it means the Steelers won't make the Super Bowl next year, which is wrong as fuck sons) means the Patriots cheap-shotted him.
He'll probably get hurt before then, and fucking stop with the damn Amendola/Talib comparisons. Two totally different positions and a hell of a difference in money between the two.

I'd just call them two regularly different positions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Amendola has played a entire 16 game schedule Talib has not. I am not "down on the deal" because he left the Patriots. There was no way the Pats could match the money that the Broncos threw at him. From reports the Pats offered 40 million to Talib over 4 years, the Broncos gave almost 20 million more for 2 more years and a crap load of guaranteed money. Maybe the Patriots could have matched that by back loading but I'd rather have flexibility in building the roster in the future and stay successful then have to blow my team up because you can't afford to resign guys.

There is a reason that the Patriots have been successful for more than a decade and it's not blowing massive money on an injury prone player (and Amendola cost all of 2 million last year, and even with missing time had the second most catches/yards on the team. Perhaps not blow you out of the water numbers but certainly not horrible bang for the buck.)
Games per year:

Talib: 15, 15, 11 (1 suspension), 13, 10 (4 suspension) 13

Amendola: 14, 16, 1, 11, 12

Again, Talib is at 14 missed for injury in six seasons while Amendola is at 26 in five. The one full season really sways you that much? Please, just stop being such a fan boy.

ETA: Saw the posts above. I now kind of want the Patriots not to get Revis just to see what's said next.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Sabo wrote:Reports are coming out that Brandon Weeden will be released on Monday. Shocking, I know.
Well, the Browns didn't wait for Monday. He was cut today.

ETA: They also released Jason Campbell.
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:
Sabo wrote:Reports are coming out that Brandon Weeden will be released on Monday. Shocking, I know.

I really think they're the best spot for Manziel, but maybe I'm crazy.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:

I really think they're the best spot for Manziel, but maybe I'm crazy.
Just guessing, but I think the Texans will bow to local pressure and take Manziel before the Browns get their chance.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Of course they are the best spot for Johnny Cleveland!
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

sancarlos wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I really think they're the best spot for Manziel, but maybe I'm crazy.
Just guessing, but I think the Texans will bow to local pressure and take Manziel before the Browns get their chance.
You don't think they'll make Manziel into the next Vince Young?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

Games per year:

Talib: 15, 15, 11 (1 suspension), 13, 10 (4 suspension) 13

Amendola: 14, 16, 1, 11, 12

Again, Talib is at 14 missed for injury in six seasons while Amendola is at 26 in five. The one full season really sways you that much? Please, just stop being such a fan boy.

ETA: Saw the posts above. I now kind of want the Patriots not to get Revis just to see what's said next.
The ONLY difference in games played is Amendola tore the fuck out of his knee otherwise basically the same number of games missed. If being a fanboy means seeing the logic in not spending shitloads of small open cap when the team has other needs then by all means I'm a fan boy. Why don't you try not being such an ass?
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote:After all these years and example after example after example about how titles aren't won with splashy free agent acquisitions, why the hell does anyone get excited about this crap anymore?
Allow me to explain using the Rams as the example. Team needs in order of importance are: DBs (especially S), OL, OLB, and if they stumble on a WR, great. Over last week, the team freed up 15M in cap space by getting rid of two starting OL and a CB. First day of FA without a move as a ton of DBs went seemingly everywhere but to the Rams. Don't see a DB you like? Fine. Let's address the holes in the O-line. Crickets. Not one position addressed and they let three starters go in the last week. Teams getting Free Agents are filling holes and/are improving. Only hysterical fans jump to the conclusion the Super Bowl is won in March, but for fans of teams looking to make a step forward, we would like them to do SOMETHING.

Unless of course that something is Golden Tate. Great talent but that locker room is going to have more divas than a Grammys audience. Good luck with that.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote:
brian wrote:After all these years and example after example after example about how titles aren't won with splashy free agent acquisitions, why the hell does anyone get excited about this crap anymore?
Allow me to explain using the Rams as the example. Team needs in order of importance are: DBs (especially S), OL, OLB, and if they stumble on a WR, great. Over last week, the team freed up 15M in cap space by getting rid of two starting OL and a CB. First day of FA without a move as a ton of DBs went seemingly everywhere but to the Rams. Don't see a DB you like? Fine. Let's address the holes in the O-line. Crickets. Not one position addressed and they let three starters go in the last week. Teams getting Free Agents are filling holes and/are improving. Only hysterical fans jump to the conclusion the Super Bowl is won in March, but for fans of teams looking to make a step forward, we would like them to do SOMETHING.

Unless of course that something is Golden Tate. Great talent but that locker room is going to have more divas than a Grammys audience. Good luck with that.
I think (assume) the Rams are of the mindset they're going to build through the draft and not try to overspend in FA, which given the division they play in and their stockpile of picks is pretty damn smart. They're the poster child for a franchise that shouldn't need to break the bank in FA to overpay mediocre players who are free agents for a reason. The best teams use FA to target undervalued players for depth (and I'm obviously not including the Lions as an example of a team that is smart about FA).
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They got rid of Rodger Saffold. And for $42 mil, I would have done the same thing.

The guy that replaced Saffold at T was just as good if not better. Then after they trade down from 2 again, they'll fill the other holes. Or they'll stay there and take Watkins. Then they'll take Calvin Pryor with their own first rounder or something like that.

They'll be fine. Or at least as fine as a team paying Sam Bradford $17 mil can be.