The Dude

Re: Swamp Cooking Thread

Post by P.D.X. »

Supposed to chop them radially, no?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, but I'm positive I've been stitched up a minimum of once had I been doing that the last ~15 years. I take off the top and bottom, then cut down the middle, discard the skin (and a bad outer layer or any sick green shit in the middle if needed), lay the two flat sides down, cut longways however many times for the dice size I want then work left to right until done. Its definitely not the right way to do it, but its quick and safe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Cut top and bottom, leave root intact. Halve onion. Peel outer layer. Lay knife parallel to board and make one or two horizontal cuts. Cut vertically almost to but not through root end. Turn sideways and chop. Small dice.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Those floating parallel cuts are the ones I want nothing to do with.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I did this tonight.

1. Soaked a good amount of raw almonds in salted water.
2. Spread them out on a big cookie sheet and roasted in the oven.
3. Took them out and drizzled olive oil and truffle oil on them.
4. Sprinkled some crushed rosemary on them, and let dry for awhile.

Voila. Roasted, salted, flavored almonds. Pretty easy. Delicious.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:11 pm Those floating parallel cuts are the ones I want nothing to do with.
I didn’t either but I angle down slightly which reduces (slightly) my stress over slicing off the tip of my fingers and leads to a more finely chopped onion.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

I know chimichurri is a simple dressing, but does anybody have a go-to recipe or preference for cilantro over oregano or vice versa?
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

cilantro.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have more than 50 but less than 100 cookbooks and every month I’ll like a version of something basic and think “I’ll remember where it’s from” and then forget where it’s from. Tonight it was cornbread. This wasn’t the version I liked.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Unfortunately, I have become a master of veggie/tofu stir fries.

God, I'd kill for some wings.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sriracha honey salmon foil packs

I am on a foil pack run right now. Pretty good results.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:34 pm I have more than 50 but less than 100 cookbooks
The first step is admitting you have a problem.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I can't find an appropriate thread to just state that persimmons are very tasty. Tastes like honey and cinnamon inside with a skin like a nectarine.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:11 pm I can't find an appropriate thread to just state that persimmons are very tasty. Tastes like honey and cinnamon inside with a skin like a nectarine.
We have a neighbor who gives us persimmons off their tree. My wife puts them in salads, breads and other recipes. Good stuff.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My parents have a couple of trees in their yard. We never did anything with them but they were good in small doses raw at the exact right time of the season. And they make a fucking mess if you step on one and don't notice and track it inside.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What the fuck?

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:51 pm What the fuck?

The flesh is similar in color and texture, but persimmons have delicious flavor where as cantaloupes…don’t.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just mean the timing of all this.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:18 pm I just mean the timing of all this.
Oh, I thought it was because of my intense dislike of lopes.
That is crazy. They’re listening.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I miss the persimmon tree at my old house. I believe it was Rass who identified a picture I posted, as my wife wouldn't let me try eating the fruit when we first moved in. Once Rass identified it (and my wife trusted a random internet guy to identify our fruit. Hey, should I eat these mushrooms in my front yard?), we started making persimmon pudding for Thanksgiving every year. My daughter went out in our old neighborhood for Halloween, so I told her to snag a bunch of persimmons, but she didn't. Had to buy them at the store like a chump. Crazy unpredictable crop yield. One year we got 10, the next year I counted 168, and I', sure the deer snagged a bunch more. I tried freezing a bunch, but they didn't do well with that. I was carving them up and eating them as a snack. They are good, but have a sharp dryness to them, like tannin in a red wine. Sometimes it overpowers the goodness of the fruit, even if you cut off the skin. We said we were going to plant a mature persimmon tree when we moved, just haven't gotten around to it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:37 pm I miss the persimmon tree at my old house. I believe it was Rass who identified a picture I posted, as my wife wouldn't let me try eating the fruit when we first moved in. Once Rass identified it (and my wife trusted a random internet guy to identify our fruit. Hey, should I eat these mushrooms in my front yard?), we started making persimmon pudding for Thanksgiving every year. My daughter went out in our old neighborhood for Halloween, so I told her to snag a bunch of persimmons, but she didn't. Had to buy them at the store like a chump. Crazy unpredictable crop yield. One year we got 10, the next year I counted 168, and I', sure the deer snagged a bunch more. I tried freezing a bunch, but they didn't do well with that. I was carving them up and eating them as a snack. They are good, but have a sharp dryness to them, like tannin in a red wine. Sometimes it overpowers the goodness of the fruit, even if you cut off the skin. We said we were going to plant a mature persimmon tree when we moved, just haven't gotten around to it.
Did the mortgage company come and kick you out of your house afterwards for eating the fruit?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Grow muscadines. The mature fast (too fast it's a vine) and are super tasty. By year 3 you'll have more than you know what to do with. Choose a variety that ripens over time instead of all at once. You'll be able to harvest longer.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

2x
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm going to make a sous vide prime rib roast soon. Looking very much forward to it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[Jaws guy but saying "bag" instead of "boat"]
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:32 am [Jaws guy but saying "bag" instead of "boat"]
That's true, but I can figure that out. I have a guy with a vacuum sealer if it comes to it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

High sodium sauces like soy and teriyaki are no nos for me.

Luckily, there's this stuff Image

I prefer it to soy sauce and use it on a whole bunch of things.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I just learned about this from, yep, Selena Gomez's cooking show
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Selena Go Mezze.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I made this ramen tonight. It turned out pretty good in spite of my best attempts to mess it up across multiple fronts.

The vegan part of this is entirely optional, I used chicken broth and it was quite good.
Vegan Tofu Ramen p2.png
Vegan Tofu Ramen p2.png (24.91 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Vegan Tofu Ramen p1.png
Vegan Tofu Ramen p1.png (107.29 KiB) Viewed 642 times
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

2 cups of “milk”? Is that something that’s common in ramen that I just haven’t realized when eating it?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume its replacing collagen/fat that would give non-vegan ramen some body?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ok, that makes sense.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Seems highly optional with the sesame oil already in there.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:55 am Anyone subscribe to butcher box, or other similar protein delivery service? If so, what are your thoughts?
Was gifted a box from my boss. Was on the porch before I left for work this morning so I unloaded it. Rack of ribs, four top sirloins, four chicken breasts, pound of bacon, two thick cut pork chops, six pre made burgers, pound of ground beef and 20 chicken wings or so. Looking forward to trying it out!

ETA: Looks like it is this box.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:36 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:55 am Anyone subscribe to butcher box, or other similar protein delivery service? If so, what are your thoughts?
Was gifted a box from my boss. Was on the porch before I left for work this morning so I unloaded it. Rack of ribs, four top sirloins, four chicken breasts, pound of bacon, two thick cut pork chops, six pre made burgers, pound of ground beef and 20 chicken wings or so. Looking forward to trying it out!

Nice. I think we're on month 2 or 3. We're not eating it as fast as it's being delivered. Part of that is my kids eating little to no meat and part of that is my wife does most of the dinner cooking and has her go to's and is stuck in that pattern. Had already decided to grill some steaks tonight though, so hopefully I can make room for whenever the next box arrives. I've been pretty happy with it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:36 am

That's pretty sweet. I'd like to think he gave that to everyone to piss off the annoying woman who won't shut up about going vegan.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

She just got a box.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don't know who all he buys for, but technically he has just two direct reports. Always very nice gifts. The sous vide last year, a nice yeti cooler the year before. Omaha steaks one year. Stuff I've actually really used, which is difficult.

I got him a gift card cause my brain is spent these days coming up with anything clever and thoughtful.