The Dude

Re: Thanksgiving 2021

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reaper picking up some kills on the course. Aw yeah.

I made some pretty great gravy today.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anyone else on here have a sibling that you know when your parents are gone you will have NO contact with ever again? Just me? I hope my mom (who will be 80 soon) is around for a long time, but gd damn I’m done w my sister, BIL and her kids.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally got to host again. Thanksgiving is always ours, but with COVID, moving, and our kitchen reno running behind schedule, we haven’t hosted in 4 years. 15 people, and shockingly easy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

bfj wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 pm Anyone else on here have a sibling that you know when your parents are gone you will have NO contact with ever again? Just me? I hope my mom (who will be 80 soon) is around for a long time, but gd damn I’m done w my sister, BIL and her kids.
Cut contact off with my sister a few years back, even though my mom is still around. We don't live close by so it makes it easier. Cut contact off with my mom a couple years ago too. Nothing but toxicity, both trying to drive wedges in my marriage, among other things.

The question someone asked me once "if they weren't family, would you still want to spend time with them?" really stuck with me. Being around people that do nothing but bring you down isn't worth it, no matter who they are.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Made rum punch, which my wife originally poo-pooed as it wasn't something that she thought her family would be into. Both her sister and mother told me that it's now a family tradition.

(Bottle of cider, a bottle of cranberry juice, two cans of ginger beer, oranges, apples and cinnamon sticks, 4 cups of rum (I used gold) and 1/2 a cup of honey.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

phxgators wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 pm
bfj wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 pm Anyone else on here have a sibling that you know when your parents are gone you will have NO contact with ever again? Just me? I hope my mom (who will be 80 soon) is around for a long time, but gd damn I’m done w my sister, BIL and her kids.
Cut contact off with my sister a few years back, even though my mom is still around. We don't live close by so it makes it easier. Cut contact off with my mom a couple years ago too. Nothing but toxicity, both trying to drive wedges in my marriage, among other things.

The question someone asked me once "if they weren't family, would you still want to spend time with them?" really stuck with me. Being around people that do nothing but bring you down isn't worth it, no matter who they are.
Agree on the toxicity part. My sister is too clueless and stupid to be toxic. I think my mom is getting to the point where she is done with my sister also, which makes her sad and that pisses me off even more.

My wife and her relationship w her sibling are the same way. When their dad dies, we will be done with them as well.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:56 pm

Agree on the toxicity part. My sister is too clueless and stupid to be toxic. I think my mom is getting to the point where she is done with my sister also, which makes her sad and that pisses me off even more.

My wife and her relationship w her sibling are the same way. When their dad dies, we will be done with them as well.
Until they reach out needing your help. We (me anyway) never can forever detach from family.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ll likely edge toward the exit from my brother after my folks are gone.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:16 am I’ll likely edge toward the exit from my brother after my folks are gone.
Its not like I talk to him very often now, but when my sister passes, I'll probably never talk to my brother-in-law again.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got a little emotional during the 'what are you thankful for' bit at dinner last night. It was just so damn nice to have people together, after being isolated last year.

Ok...I was a little drunk too...
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 am
bfj wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:56 pm

Until they reach out needing your help. We (me anyway) never can forever detach from family.
I wouldn’t piss on my SIL if she was on fire. Evil bitch. Threatened to kill my wife. Have to deal w her until FIL passes away for inheritance/estate reasons.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

This thread is reminding me to be thankful for my family. I've struggled to separate from high school friends who were toxic, so I can't imagine trying that with family. I really admire how you guys do it.

And, just because:

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

May have had a couple today. I can happily report that I still like beer.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Echo Romero. My wife’s side is some work but mine couldn’t be any easier for both me and her. Kinda feel bad I didn't fully recognize it until I was in my 20s.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:19 am This is my annual reminder on carving video:
It was very helpful to review this video before I carved. The audience was impressed that I appeared to know what I was doing.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We made a reservation at a nice place for thanksgiving dinner and it was easily the worst meal I had all week. It was good, don’t get me wrong but not worth the price compared to the other places.

Would have rather bought ingredients and made dinner at the oldest apartment.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What’s the name?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:43 am What’s the name?
Beehive
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh yeah. That place has so much hype but you end up paying for the atmosphere so much more than anything else.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 am Oh yeah. That place has so much hype but you end up paying for the atmosphere so much more than anything else.
Two different Boston people were shocked I was able to get in. Asked how I did it. Said I called them six weeks ago.

The kids ate there two years ago and raved about it. But the menu was not as strong this year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

South End was probably the (pronounced thee) destination spot for restaurants when we lived there and I’m struggling to think of a single one we LOVE loved besides Myers & Chang.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Finally managed to overeat last night and went to bed feeling all kinds of nauseous. Felt better this morning but had to cut the dog's walk short so I could make it back to the house and take a shit of my own.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You wrote that while pooping.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We hosted and had tons of food. I’ve had big Thanksgiving dinners now for four straight nights! I’m done. Some of the rest becomes part of the turkey soup the wife is making today.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

hosted for the first time (new house and all..)
big damper on the holiday as my dad decided to let me know a couple of days ago he would not be staying in a hotel -- our house is much bigger than the last.. but i can't have 11 extra people staying here.. had made arrangements w my brother and sister for them and my folks to stay at local hotel.
he said he isn't at a place in life where he needs to stay in hotels when visiting his son.
showed up (late) demanded coffee then breakfast (my brother took care of him) then proceeded to sit at the end of the couch in the family room without interacting w anyone until it was time to eat. then back to the couch, where he fell asleep.
got in argument about the hotel (my sister had cancelled his room) and proceeded to book one just the same- then told me he wasn't coming for breakfast as he had things to do and would leave early (he didn't)

before he left he told me he had come up because family was important and was not going to discuss anything about it with me.
so that sucked. haven't spoken w him since thurs night. will be calling him on wed for his bday. can't wait for that call (or the potential text/email to follow complaining about my lack of hospitality)

i was rattled the whole time. drank too much although did enjoy the parcheesi tournament we played after dinner (i lost) the bacon blanket turkey rocked.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Damn, Flaco. Like you didn't have enough going on with a new baby in the house?

Forgot to thank Nonlinear for the carving video. I've watched numerous over the years and never remember what to do. This video was so simple and well done, carving just seemed natural. I just need a better carving knife. My wife's great-aunt gave us her carving knife that has to be more than 75 years old. I don't know if sharpening is enough, or if it just isn't a good knife.

I totally relate to all the talk of cutting ties with siblings. I've seen my sister 3 times since my wedding (16 years ago), and that's plenty. We've actually gotten along well enough over the phone or texting the past few years, but whenever I am with her in person, I just want to get the hell away. She is infinitely better than she was when we were kids, but she is just a very loud, brash, negative person, and I don't need that. I wish my kids had a relationship with their cousins, as they got along great when they were together, and it'd be nice to have a relationship with my nephews, but it's better I keep a distance from my sister. Ironically, the Age of Trump has brought us closer. She was always completely disinterested in politics, but now she texts funny political memes to me and my mom. She actually manages to only send gems, so it's never been annoying. Her boys play academy soccer, so we have good conversations about that, mostly her questioning the coaches or dealing with twins in a club where they frequently move kids up or down on teams mid-season. If my sister died, I'm confident I would never speak to her husband. Nice guy, but impossible to have a conversation with him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

to top it off.. the missus insisted on going shopping on saturday... the boy needs more than just hoodies adidas pants to wear.. came back to find Milo (the pup) had absolutely destroyed another bed (#4).. not his of course, but Sasha's. Foam everywhere. i sort of patched it. for now. guessing he really needs to get out daily.. had missed his walks from wed when the family showed up.
most of the tksgiving food is gone. lefotver turkey getting processed into empanadas to freeze and snack on later.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn, Flaco. Sorry about all that stuff.

But, yeah, pups need exercise every single day, to burn off the crazies.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

bday convo went ok.
no tension at all, all happy as can be and nothing happened.
i didn't raise it cause why.
his bday card/present is however, lost with the USPS since monday.
oh well, family.

may not go down to dc area for xmas. the (new) boy is getting his next shots on the 23rd.. so may just stay home and use that as an excuse.. plus we'd have to leave the pup somewhere and be back on the 26th (my bday on the 27th, i like to be home for that)

turkey empanadas.. a hit. rest of the turkey was processed into meatballs, most are now frozen.