Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by mister d »

We had the borderline exact same scenario except with kids factored in. Probably would have been either way but that made it easy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:09 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm So, I found out from my mum today that my dumbass brother who refuses to get vaccinated got Covid. Apparently, he is over it now and feeling healthy again.

As faithful readers may recall, my parents and my wife and I all told him that we weren't going to see him for Christmas if he didn't get vaccinated. But, now that he's had Covid, he argued to my mother that he has the necessary antibodies in his system, so we should all feel comfortable celebrating Christmas with his wife and him (his wife is vaccinated).

My first inclination is to hold the line, but my mother is now starting to relent. Which puts pressure on me to relent. What do you guys think?
I'd ask to see proof that he actually tested positive for COVID, but if he does and he did then I'd probably relent. For the time being he's probably as "safe" as someone who is vaccinated, though that won't last forever.
I think I'd take Brian's tact here. If you are going by the science, having recovered is possibly better protection than the vaccine (but vaccine after recovery is even better!), I'd probably not create a confrontation. Unless you don't want to see your brother, then you have an excuse!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:21 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:05 pm So, I found out from my mum today that my dumbass brother who refuses to get vaccinated got Covid. Apparently, he is over it now and feeling healthy again.

As faithful readers may recall, my parents and my wife and I all told him that we weren't going to see him for Christmas if he didn't get vaccinated. But, now that he's had Covid, he argued to my mother that he has the necessary antibodies in his system, so we should all feel comfortable celebrating Christmas with his wife and him (his wife is vaccinated).

My first inclination is to hold the line, but my mother is now starting to relent. Which puts pressure on me to relent. What do you guys think?
I'd ask to see proof that he actually tested positive for COVID, but if he does and he did then I'd probably relent. For the time being he's probably as "safe" as someone who is vaccinated, though that won't last forever.
I think I'd take Brian's tact here. If you are going by the science, having recovered is possibly better protection than the vaccine (but vaccine after recovery is even better!), I'd probably not create a confrontation. Unless you don't want to see your brother, then you have an excuse!
Make sure his results show he has the antibodies in his blood. If not, tell them to have a very merry holidays.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:33 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:21 pm

Make sure his results show he has the antibodies in his blood. If not, tell them to have a very merry holidays.
Ugh I know it's probably not a hill to die on, but him getting his way because he backed his way into not dying because of his own ignorance should not get him a fucking reward of "see it's all OK now". He was still a selfish dick about it.

Hope whatever resolution there is is easy on you buddy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

From the north coast of Lake Ontario
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

MotherFucker found out he was positive and then went to a meeting with parents whose kids were killed in war.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:30 pm MotherFucker found out he was positive and then went to a meeting with parents whose kids were killed in war.
And then blamed them for getting him sick!

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:30 pm MotherFucker found out he was positive and then went to a meeting with parents whose kids were killed in war.

Wasn't this all public knowledge almost immediately after it happened?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just want to have a dream where everything plays out the same except he dies of Covid. Finding out would have been like a reverse 9/11.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:57 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Wasn't this all public knowledge almost immediately after it happened?
It was? With the Gold Star families? I must’ve missed that because I think I would’ve remembered that.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:29 pm
It was? With the Gold Star families? I must’ve missed that because I think I would’ve remembered that.
I know I followed this shit way closer than was healthy. Did a Google search, and lots of major outlets ran the story on October 8, 2020. Hardly a day went by when he didn't do or say something that would have been the biggest scandal of every President's term (excluding Nixon, he only outdid Nixon once a month), so it's easy to miss a scandal or two in the deluge the following day.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The stuff my CEO's Dad (the epidemiologist) is saying about this Omicron variant is officially Not Good. Like, it's transmissibility makes Delta seem like Ebola by comparison.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:03 pm The stuff my CEO's Dad (the epidemiologist) is saying about this Omicron variant is officially Not Good. Like, it's transmissibility makes Delta seem like Ebola by comparison.
I heard the numbers are skewed because the variant existed for weeks or months before it was identified and tested for, so it didn’t go from zero to current numbers, so probably spreads much slower than numbers indicate. He did say it’s probably more transmissible than Delta, but so far seems less severe.

Another positive, US approved the pill to treat COVID, so that should help.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How bout doing whatever it takes to inundate Africa and anywhere else that needs it with the/a vaccine? JFC
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 am How bout doing whatever it takes to inundate Africa and anywhere else that needs it with the/a vaccine? JFC
That’d work.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Did I read somewhere recently that they have plenty of stockpile, it's getting the administration of the shots along with hesitancy that's causing issues?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:00 am Did I read somewhere recently that they have plenty of stockpile, it's getting the administration of the shots along with hesitancy that's causing issues?
I did read that specifically about SA, so that's fair. But it also seems that some of the parties involved in the development and distribution of vaccines sometimes have concerns other than "saving lives" and "preventing the proliferation of variants".
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

NYT yesterday. They dont want to take it there either. Some issues with distribution logistics and administration but apparently at least in South Africa and other some other southern africans countries its not a production or delivery problem.

And yeah, the far less severe thing is a major major plus. Who gives a shit if I dont get sick sick.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:59 am
And yeah, the far less severe thing is a major major plus. Who gives a shit if I dont get sick sick.
My thoughts exactly. I'll get my booster(s) until we see that whatever variant settles in and sticks around (because it will) isn't so much dangerous as inconvenient and then we'll go on about our lives.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just lost my temper with a call to me asking for our firm to do class actions on behalf of people forced to get vaccinated due to mandates.

I did make it four minutes before engaging and two more minutes before yelling. So i got that going for me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm Just lost my temper with a call to me asking for our firm to do class actions on behalf of people forced to get vaccinated due to mandates.

I did make it four minutes before engaging and two more minutes before yelling. So i got that going for me.
I think the "clever" thing most companies/organizations are doing is saying if you don't want to get the shot, fine, but you're getting tested weekly. At least where I'm at, you can start disciplinary action almost right away if someone refuses to get the vax AND the testing. What a pain in the ass, having to get to a CVS every Monday and getting that swab up your nose hole.

The thing is, the issue at my joint is that it's the guys/gals out at the Depots (blue collar as hell) that don't want to get the shots... And that includes many managers. So... We'll see how that plays out.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm Just lost my temper with a call to me asking for our firm to do class actions on behalf of people forced to get vaccinated due to mandates.

Give 'em hell, TB!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Give 'em hell, TB!
Give 'em shit, TB! From your new back yard!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have my booster shot scheduled for Monday. They don't have walk ins in this state, so I picked Fry's because it was soonest and they had Moderna.

I got my flu shot today, so what's another shot a couple days later?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife continues to be COVID-free.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Some of the schools in our district have been doing 1/2 days this week because of an uptick in cases. My youngest’s MS got added to the list as of next week. That’ll be 1/2 the schools in the district on 1/2 days for at least all of next week.

Not a big deal for us but going to be a pain in the ass for the elementary school parents.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Wife's co-worker, with whom she has been working on a project this week, got a positive late yesterday. It's not surprising, given that he hated masks, but at least he has received the vax earlier. No matter now I suppose so long as it isn't Ah-mi-cron.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:56 amSome of the schools in our district have been doing 1/2 days this week because of an uptick in cases. My youngest’s MS got added to the list as of next week. That’ll be 1/2 the schools in the district on 1/2 days for at least all of next week.
Are the half days because of required in-school counts or because they skip lunch and lunch is the high transmission time? Former would be dumb as shit, latter would be fine with me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They’re skipping lunch. The call from the SI said they can’t go full virtual without approval from multiple levels of health and education administration.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:24 am Wife continues to be COVID-free.
Excellent news, hope she is feeling better.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The second worst part of my guys losing the 2010 NLCS is this dipshit getting a World Series ring.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

So he has never had one single vaccination? I mean, that is what his shirt is advertising.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Can't believe how difficult it's been to schedule a booster. Finally got one on the books. 10 days out at the 15th nearest CVS. For a couple weeks I couldn't find anything available, and Walgreens was just as bad. Curious if demand is so high or they just aren't scheduling many appointments. Could be the combo of kids getting vaccines and adults due for boosters. I ended up signing up for Pfizer. Had Moderna the first go round. Not sure it really matters. My wife is getting Moderna because she had Pfizer first and wanted to make sure she got Moderna.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah it seems difficult in Colorado as well, but finally got one on the first available opening I could find (12/14)

Also there's a bunch of MAGA turds protesting masks/vaccines in front of Gov. Polis's building right now. Naturally I put my mask on to pass by.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Highly regional. Got mine same day and it's available today at CVS around here. Maybe take a ride to the closest trump country.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Got an appointment made today for booster and flu shot in two weeks. Huzzah.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Oldest daughter is a close contact. Headed to pick her up from school now. December 1, school corporation went with mask optional. Fucking hell. She's vaccinated at least. Most likely going to have finals virtually. So fucking irate at these people that want to appease the minority nutters, and don't give a shit for the safety of everyone else. The bullshit my wife has to deal with in her classroom now is unthinkable. One fourth grade classroom had 10 close contracts last week.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm Oldest daughter is a close contact. Headed to pick her up from school now. December 1, school corporation went with mask optional. Fucking hell. She's vaccinated at least. Most likely going to have finals virtually. So fucking irate at these people that want to appease the minority nutters, and don't give a shit for the safety of everyone else. The bullshit my wife has to deal with in her classroom now is unthinkable. One fourth grade classroom had 10 close contracts last week.
It seems like if you had one close contact in a classroom you should have xx number (xx being the total number of students in the class minus 1.)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hope all is well duff.

As I mentioned, my youngest's middle school has gone to 1/2 days this week. We got no letter notifying us of new cases yesterday, but today got one letting us know of 3 new cases in the school.

My wife's "office" (city hall in a decent-sized NJ city) is in the middle of an outbreak and it sounds like they're about to go back to some hybrid model (partial WFH, cohorts, etc.), at least for a bit.

I'm scheduled to hit my company's holiday party on Thursday afternoon (mandatory vaxx, guest list mostly limited to people who don't have to fly in to attend).