Rants 2?

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Rants 2?

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:15 pm We had to plan our oldest’s family party this weekend entirely around two unvaccinated family members (outdoors, separate tables to avoid certain family) but, joke’s on us, they got Covid instead and aren’t coming.
How thoughtful of them!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The last week or so I have what sounds like a "floater" in one of my eyes. I periodically have what seems like a gnat flying around in front of me, but I can tell it's not real, more like a tiny moving spot with blocked vision. I notice it when staring at my monitor, phone or driving while it's bright out, so basically most of my waking hours. It's not too big a deal, but not that I actually have a gnat flying around in front of my monitor, it's driving me nuts trying to figure out when it's the real gnat and just my vision failing. Fortunately I have an appointment with my eye doctor in a couple weeks, because it takes 6 months to get in to see him now due to COVID backlog.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Dude, I don’t mean to scare you. But that is a symptom of a detached retina. I speak from experience.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:13 pm Dude, I don’t mean to scare you. But that is a symptom of a detached retina. I speak from experience.
Eh, I got another one.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:30 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:13 pm Dude, I don’t mean to scare you. But that is a symptom of a detached retina. I speak from experience.
Eh, I got another one.
Had floaters for years - a sign of something serious? Perhaps.

When I first noticed them I got a bunch of tests. Diagnosis - just a sign of aging. The gloop on the eye falls off and becomes a floater.

Do get it checked, but a lot of people have them with no serious consequences.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Eh, I got another one.

When I first noticed them I got a bunch of tests. Diagnosis - just a sign of aging. The gloop on the eye falls off and becomes a floater.

Yeah, if I didn't have an appointment scheduled already, I would have made one. Your description is pretty close to one I almost quoted from the Mayo Clinic, the gelatinous part of the back of the eye liquifies with age. Common in people over 50. That's depressing as hell, the symptoms common over 50, the liquifying eye jello I can handle, the realization that I'm 5 years from 50 is shocking and depressing (sorry to you older guys, but you are OLDER!).

I'm not too concerned, just annoyed. The description of floaters for serious conditions, like tumors pressing on the optic nerve and detached retina sound much more severe than what I have, so not stressing over it.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We are so fucked.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Did we keep the receipt so we can give Texas back to Mexico? Giff, you can come stay with us while you figure it out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There's an entire podcast out of the NBC News shop about Southlake and how radicalized the entire town has become over the last 3 or 4 years. Started off over some racist shit (you may remember the viral video of a number of SL cheerleaders using the N word over and over). Then someone defaced the statue of a "beloved" black civic figure (former D Cowboy turned local hero). That led to a school board effort to implement some basic diversity training and awareness in the schools.

And that, of course, coincided with all the Fox news /right wing lunacy about Critical Race Theory.

Add on top of that "I Can't Breathe" signs over masking students and... you couldn't pay me a million dollars to move down there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:35 pm Did we keep the receipt so we can give Texas back to Mexico? Giff, you can come stay with us while you figure it out.
At least my school district decided to put Jerry Craft's books back in the libraries and will have the event that was delayed due to the vapid waste of space that makes up a handful of parents.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:14 pm
Eh, I got another one.

Yeah, if I didn't have an appointment scheduled already, I would have made one. Your description is pretty close to one I almost quoted from the Mayo Clinic, the gelatinous part of the back of the eye liquifies with age. Common in people over 50. That's depressing as hell, the symptoms common over 50, the liquifying eye jello I can handle, the realization that I'm 5 years from 50 is shocking and depressing (sorry to you older guys, but you are OLDER!).

I'm not too concerned, just annoyed. The description of floaters for serious conditions, like tumors pressing on the optic nerve and detached retina sound much more severe than what I have, so not stressing over it.
Had my appointment yesterday, all good with the floaters. He did give me a glaucoma scare. In the peripheral vision test, I failed to see a full quadrant out of one eye. Doc gave me a 15 minute lecture about glaucoma. Eye pressure was normal. I asked to take the peripheral vision test again, scored perfect. I think I wasn't lined up right. Wish he retested first before the scare sessions. All I was thinking as he talked was, "can I get a prescription for weed if I have glaucoma?"
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Glad to hear you got good news.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 amAll I was thinking as he talked was, "can I get a prescription for weed if I have glaucoma?"
Still haven't had that 3 minute call?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:32 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 amAll I was thinking as he talked was, "can I get a prescription for weed if I have glaucoma?"
Seriously. So damn easy, at least down here.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:42 pm
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't feel right doing that. I'm sure I could find a doctor who'd prescribe for depression or anxiety. I'd actually like to try a regimen of psilocybin micro-dosing.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:37 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:42 pm
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't feel right doing that. I'm sure I could find a doctor who'd prescribe for depression or anxiety. I'd actually like to try a regimen of psilocybin micro-dosing.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry, long one incoming....(not really a rant, but a story)

So Wednesday morning I got a phone call from my commander to come to his office. Kinda random, but no biggie. My job entails doing things that involve commanders, so it's not out of the ordinary. But he sounded kinda hurried and wanted to see me sooner rather than later.

I make my way to his office and we close the doors. He starts talking to me about a dilemma of sorts he has and hands me a piece of paper. The paper has the comments from my supervisor, flight chief, flight commander, etc.. about their thoughts of me and whether or not I should be considered for a "must promote" or "promote now" on my performance report.

(Background: the way the Air Force promotes people is a complete shitshow. It's exclusively performance report based. After individual units make their recommendations, they are pushed to higher headquarters and eventual the "boarding" process begins. 2 Chiefs and a Colonel are basically locked in a room and rate packages (last 3 years of performance reports and some other stuff) for your career field. This is done for every career field. It takes two months. The terrible part: There's literally no metric that you can achieve anymore that's objectively rated. Time in service, time in grade, decorations, tests you take....all gone. So getting the "must promote" (only 10%) or "promote now" (only 5%) is the only way to get extra points. Needless to say, political fuckery is strong these days.)

Back to the paper....My chain of command's thoughts? I'm impressive and more than worthy of the stripe. They all had glowing things to say about me. Extremely positive and they all wanted me to make it. The commander agreed. (Sidenote: 11 years ago we were deployed together in Iraq. He was a young lieutenant, former enlisted, and he told me his story. I remembered him despite only being around him for a few days. When I inprocessed to my current squadron he was floored and kind of embarrassed he didn't remember me.)

So his dilemma: does he send my package forward for consideration for additional promotion points even though I'm sticking to my retirement? I get it. There are 40 eligibles, only 6 get the bonus points. Giving them to me is a waste if I make it and still retire.

As he's talking to me and telling me that he's proud to have me in his squadron and asking me what my thoughts are, I'm still fixated on the sheet with the glowing reviews and I'm having trouble focusing. And I just start crying. I was shocked. I truly have this thing about me where I think people don't like me. So when I see something like that, I don't know what to do. So I kind of panic and break down.

So here I am wondering what I should do, but I'm very quick about it. I simply say, through tears, "I don't want it. Give it to someone else that can benefit. I have nothing left to give to the AF. I'm tired and I don't want to do this anymore." He tries to say I don't have to decide now, but no. I can't. I insist. No. It's over next summer.

And I talk through my thoughts why. I'm the highest ranking tech sergeant (E6) in my career field. I've been this rank going on 10 years. I've been left behind by Chiefs in my career field and commander's and flight chiefs in previous chains of command. I was good enough to deploy on a week and a half notice and then turn right around and go out the door 4 months later, but I'm not good enough to promote. That I removed myself from promotion consideration last year because I was worried that I'd lose my current assignment, need to give more time to the AF, or both. That the newest Chiefs (E9) in my career field have 17, 17, and 15 years respectively in service. I have 20+. I should have been the next rank years ago, and the one after that, and been challenging those people. Instead, I feel like a constant failure. And the biggest issue I had: when my wife got melanoma the Air Force drug its feet getting me the fuck out of Korea. I should have been gone in a couple weeks. They took 3+ months.

So yea. That was a heavy experience. I went back to my car and just sat bewildered. I had to collect myself and get a coffee. 295 more days until I'm retired completely. It can't come soon enough.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Very touching story, bud. I think all of us who've achieved something personally or professionally sometimes have negative thoughts, like maybe we feel like we've fooled somebody to get where we are and maybe somebody might take it all away. I think that's normal so I empathize and sympathize with you.

The good news is that you've earned these people's respect and you deserve what you've gained. We all need to keep telling ourselves that. Self-confidence is a powerful drug, and we need to work to keep it. Good luck and I hope everything works out.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I suffer from Imposter Syndrome. I used to feel the same way when I got accolades. I never self-promoted myself for better positions or higher pay because of self-doubt. But when I was let go at my last job, I changed my views on all of that. I told myself I would fight for what I deserve, and that I deserve more than I ever thought I did.

If getting the promotion wouldn't make you stay in longer, I would say take it. But only if there is no catch. And it is good to see people hold you in higher regard then you thought they did. It also helps to work in an environment where the leaders are willing to share that with you anytime, not just during reviews or promotion time.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Thanks fellas, it means a lot.

Making Master Sergeant, E7, incurs a two year service commitment from the month you would sew on. So nope. I'm good.

I should also note, I can still make rank without the endorsement. But it will be interesting to see how my performance reports are judged without one. All 9 people from my career field that were given one made it.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:50 pm I truly have this thing about me where I think people don't like me. So when I see something like that, I don't know what to do. So I kind of panic and break down.
Def not alone there.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Love ya buddy. You're great and worthy of admiration and whatever else you know deep down you are.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:12 pm Love ya buddy. You're great and worthy of admiration and whatever else you know deep down you are.
DId Stuart Smalley write this?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I just wanted to tell Johnnie that I appreciate his dedication to keeping America safe from all the evils of the world. You young man are doing God's will.

Did I do that correctly?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

duff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:51 pm I just wanted to tell Johnnie that I appreciate his dedication to keeping America safe from all the evils of the world. You young man are doing God's will.

Did I do that correctly?
You need to offer to pay for his burrito, too.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:31 pm
duff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:51 pm I just wanted to tell Johnnie that I appreciate his dedication to keeping America safe from all the evils of the world. You young man are doing God's will.

Did I do that correctly?
This. And don't skimp on the guac.

You're welcome for my service.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Did I do that correctly?

I will hit you up when we are driving through Phoenix next June.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Did I do that correctly?

I need to see a Purple Heart to pay for guac.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry, best I can do is a bleeding one.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Food delivery drivers that put our order right up to the storm door so you have to knock it over to get the door open. Fools. I even have a wide ledge beside the door.

OR

They put my food at the bottom of the stairs so I have to put on shoes to pick it up or go step in the snow. Meanwhile he doesn't ring the bell so I don't know until I check that it's there, at which point it's been in the snow for several minutes and has gotten cold.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I never use Door Dash, Grub Hub, Uber Eats, etc. One reason to only get delivery from restaurants that have their own delivery people is so you can bitch to management, if necessary, such as in the situations you mention.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:43 pm I never use Door Dash, Grub Hub, Uber Eats, etc. One reason to only get delivery from restaurants that have their own delivery people is so you can bitch to management, if necessary, such as in the situations you mention.
Never has an avatar suited a post so well!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:43 pm I never use Door Dash, Grub Hub, Uber Eats, etc. One reason to only get delivery from restaurants that have their own delivery people is so you can bitch to management, if necessary, such as in the situations you mention.
You also contact the restaurant directly as opposed to through an intermediary, who takes a cut of the payment.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's what I did, but several around here cut off that option and forced you to go through 3rd parties even for pickup. I'd think they'd lose more of a cut that way than adding someone solely to work the phones but who knows.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:05 pm
You also contact the restaurant directly as opposed to through an intermediary, who takes a cut of the payment.
Yeah, that’s the main reason.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So this is such a niche gripe, but the math bears out: I'm really annoyed when people tell me "you're losing money" when I intend to sell back leave on my way out the door before I begin terminal leave (the leave you take in conjunction with separating from service).

As a military member you accrue leave at a rate of 2.5 days per month -- 30 days per year -- recalculating every fiscal year. Under normal circumstances, one may only carry over 60 days from fiscal year to fiscal year. Due to COVID, an exemption was made to make this 120 days. (This exemption will expire FY2024, 30 Sep 2023.)

I will have 112.5 days of leave as of the end of the current fiscal year. You sell back leave at a rate of 1/30th x base pay per day. (So up to 2 months, constituting of only base pay minus taxes.)

Whether I'm on leave or not, I get paid. And this is the concept people cannot grasp at all. I plan to start terminal leave on 8 August. I *could* start terminal leave in June.

My plan once I'm on leave is to go to school. I won't join the workforce immediately. So I want some extra cash. Therefore I will work those extra two months and then sell the leave I would have taken. It'll net me like $7k-ish after taxes.

The 10 minute arguments that I have to have with people over their inability to recognize this is such a pain. If I were walking into a job immediately, then I could "double dip." Otherwise, I'm simply trading time off for more money.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

I must be old. I'm so sick and tired of phone bots and chat bots. I just have a simple banking correction that would take a human 5 minutes to fix. But it doesn't fall under any pre-defined category so these bots have me running in circles then it hangs up on me.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Mash keys and shout "representative!" over and over
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ha. Glad if audio ever gets released I can claim that was you and not me.

"Operator ... operator ... operator ... GOD JESUS FUCKING CHRIST OPERATOR!"
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:16 am Mash keys and shout "representative!" over and over
Hey, that’s my strategy, too!