NFL Week 14 (2021)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 14 (2021)

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:43 am
Rex wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 pm This is one of the most entertaining football games I’ve ever seen. Where did this come from?
What happened after this post?

Much like our dreams of a new world order in 1988-1990 turned into three decades of paranoia, political dysfunction and hatefulness, the game really petered out.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:43 am
Rex wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 pm This is one of the most entertaining football games I’ve ever seen. Where did this come from?
What happened after this post?

Much like our dreams of a new world order in 1988-1990 turned into three decades of paranoia, political dysfunction and hatefulness, the game really petered out.
Interesting analogy. I thought the Packers just remembered they were playing the Bears.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I admit this was inspired by a lost bet but this rule has been bugging me for a while...
At the end of the first half of the Giants/Chargers game with the score 14-7 (I had under 21.5 and as it turned out would have lost anyway), the Giants stopped the Chargers 4th and 1 on the NYG 5. But wait there's a flag. False start. LA backs up 5 and kicks the FG. I know the official explanation is "no play" but the play should be blown dead if everything that happens after the snap is going to be null and void. We know the League doesn't really care about player safety but I'm surprised the NFLPA doesn't object to these "no plays" being run. I also feel the same way about the defense jumping offside. The pretense that the offense should get to choose which result they want after the result of a "no play" is patently unfair. If there is a pre-snap penalty, it should be blown dead every single time.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Might incentivize more offsides and big hits on the QB if you know nothing all that bad is going to happen but I understand your argument and it does have some logic to it.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Don't they usually blow the whistle for a false start, or is that just if there is contact between linemen before the snap?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:13 pm Don't they usually blow the whistle for a false start, or is that just if there is contact between linemen before the snap?
False starts always get a whistle, offsides only if contact or a clear path to the QB, I believe.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wonder what percentage of fantasy leagues are in the final week of the regular season and were just thrown into mini-chaos by Higbee's late Covid scratch.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:48 pm I wonder what percentage of fantasy leagues are in the final week of the regular season and were just thrown into mini-chaos by Higbee's late Covid scratch.
I really need Stafford's name to pop-up. Fuck the NFL with their dumb byes.

In the league I commish, I needed a win and another guy to lose to get in and he has Higbee. He's also down 67. My team got a grand total of 1.80 points out of my QB and WR1. I'm up by 46.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just need this game to kickoff because I'm 86.6% to make the playoffs if it goes and 0% if it gets pushed out beyond the limits of Week 15.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:34 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:48 pm I wonder what percentage of fantasy leagues are in the final week of the regular season and were just thrown into mini-chaos by Higbee's late Covid scratch.
I really need Stafford's name to pop-up. Fuck the NFL with their dumb byes.

In the league I commish, I needed a win and another guy to lose to get in and he has Higbee. He's also down 67. My team got a grand total of 1.80 points out of my QB and WR1. I'm up by 46.
And Higbee was totally going to get 68 points tonight.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Could someone help with this question please...

When an NFL team signs a player from another team's practice squad (or once he has been released and has passed through waivers), that they are playing the following week. How likely is it that the team retaining that player has done so to learn about his previous team's playbook, terminology?

For example the Titans play the Steelers this weekend and have just signed John Simon. who has been on and off the Titans roster for most of the season and Training camp?

I have noticed this a few times, especially within the ongoing Covid practice team protocols and wondered if this is more to do with coaching, than actually playing?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I won a game and made the postseason at 6-8 after winning a game by 2.5 points when my opponent was stuck with a zero from Higbee. He also had Keenan Allen on the COVID list and Jalen Guyton (the Chargers' #3 WR), who I picked up after seeing Allen wouldn't play, scored 15.5 points for me.

Giff also made the playoffs at 6-8, so it is possible one/both of us will be the first team(s) to finish 6-9, which would be nice.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:59 am Could someone help with this question please...

When an NFL team signs a player from another team's practice squad (or once he has been released and has passed through waivers), that they are playing the following week. How likely is it that the team retaining that player has done so to learn about his previous team's playbook, terminology?

For example the Titans play the Steelers this weekend and have just signed John Simon. who has been on and off the Titans roster for most of the season and Training camp?
I would say Simon's knowledge is definitely part of the reason he was signed, certainly a factor that would throw a 50-50 situation between him and another player toward him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 am
I won a game and made the postseason at 6-8 after winning a game by 2.5 points when my opponent was stuck with a zero from Higbee. He also had Keenan Allen on the COVID list and Jalen Guyton (the Chargers' #3 WR), who I picked up after seeing Allen wouldn't play, scored 15.5 points for me.

Giff also made the playoffs at 6-8, so it is possible one/both of us will be the first team(s) to finish 6-9, which would be nice.
That must be a bullshit league. In happy news, I got my revenge from last year when a hapless long eliminated Sabo beat me on the last day of the season to knock me out of the playoffs. I got to return the favor this year, also finishing 6-8 and losing the tiebreaker to Giff.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm sure I'll get blown out in both of my games, but that's probably the luckiest I've been to get in. Turns out I needed two losses in the league I commish. Three-way tie turned into a points tiebreaker whereas a two-way tie is head-to-head. I'd have been out had it been the latter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

C'mon ...
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:38 am
Tom 1860 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:59 am Could someone help with this question please...

I would say Simon's knowledge is definitely part of the reason he was signed, certainly a factor that would throw a 50-50 situation between him and another player toward him.
But the league has some rules to try and prevent it from happening for that reason. The rules below are a summary but the 3 week item and lead time are factors. Also the TV coverage and sideline mics are so good these days, I am guessing language is hard to keep a secret (I sat next to a coach at lower level college game. He had one of his staff just working language and that was from the stands).
Practice squad players are free to sign with other NFL teams (with the exception of the four protected players described above), but they have to be signed to the 53-man active roster of the acquiring team. A practice squad player cannot be signed to another practice squad unless he is first released.
A practice squad player can not sign with his team’s upcoming opponent, unless he does so six days before the upcoming game or 10 days if his team is currently on a bye week.
If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, he will receive a minimum of three weekly paychecks, even if he is released before spending three weeks with the new team.
In order to be signed to a practice squad after being released, a player must first clear waivers, and is subject to waiver claims by other teams
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You know what you don’t have to waive? Guys with cameras posing as the social media team.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 amC'mon ...
Gave you a lot to work with.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:33 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:01 amC'mon ...
Gave you a lot to work with.
Might have to crib that for the picks column this week to take up some space since there's only two games.