NFL Week 15...with bonus Fantasy Football Coverage, I'm Sure!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 15...with bonus Fantasy Football Coverage, I'm Sure!

Post by Johnnie »

Pat Mahomes's brother is a little shithead.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:29 pm Stupid fantasy question: I have Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. I was planning on rolling with Allen despite the toe injury, but was feeling it out by how much he practices. Then I panicked realizing Herbert plays tonight, so I can't wait on it. Allen was limited in practice. I'm reading the Chiefs pass defense has been great of late. I'm in meetings the rest of the day, what says the Swamp: Herbert or Allen?
I've been wrong many times before, but I'm going with Stafford over Herbert in one of my pools.

And the Bills are a mighty pissed off football team, and if you've seen the Panthers lately, you know that they are putrid.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:21 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:29 pm Stupid fantasy question: I have Josh Allen and Justin Herbert. I was planning on rolling with Allen despite the toe injury, but was feeling it out by how much he practices. Then I panicked realizing Herbert plays tonight, so I can't wait on it. Allen was limited in practice. I'm reading the Chiefs pass defense has been great of late. I'm in meetings the rest of the day, what says the Swamp: Herbert or Allen?
I've been wrong many times before, but I'm going with Stafford over Herbert in one of my pools.

And the Bills are a mighty pissed off football team, and if you've seen the Panthers lately, you know that they are putrid.
Putrid teams usually don’t give up too many QB points, but the Bills RBs are so bad, they can’t run.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think that dude just knocked himself out cold bouncing his head off the ground.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:30 pm I think that dude just knocked himself out cold bouncing his head off the ground.
He did and the fox producer needs a talking to.
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah. Seemed obvious on the first replay (his arms!) but on the second there was no doubt. And Troy going on about completing the catch…

Face mask off.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:31 pm
rass wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:30 pm I think that dude just knocked himself out cold bouncing his head off the ground.
The 8k camera zooming in? Super fucked up. Camera man should be fired.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Looked like his arms were in seizure mode as he was stretchered off. Bad.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:47 pm Looked like his arms were in seizure mode as he was stretchered off. Bad.
Yeah, that was weird. Looked like people were talking to him, so hopefully that’s not an issue.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

It’s Fox. That dude is getting a raise.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Fox right now is like what are you going to do, turn the TV to Sixers-Nets?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Joe Buck noting that it is “colder than normal” on the field as explanation for Patham’s arms shaking when they game is in LA was quite something.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Embiid starting to heat up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rex wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:05 pm
Lazy black athlete sleeping mid-game???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:05 pm
I’m watching on NFL Network, didn’t think about the Fox angle. You’d think the Fox announcers, halftime crew, graphics etc… would have made me realize, but no.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

With the complete shambolic tenure of Urban Meyer, it reinforces the difficulty in the college-to-pros jump for coaches. The few who’ve been successful recently had pro experience in some level in Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, but the most successful who made the jump was Jimmy Johnson, who had no pro experience prior to Dallas. I’m trying to figure out why he succeeded there, and to the Dolphins to a lesser extent, when practically everyone else failed spectacularly. Well, besides the Herschel Walker trade.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:09 am With the complete shambolic tenure of Urban Meyer, it reinforces the difficulty in the college-to-pros jump for coaches. The few who’ve been successful recently had pro experience in some level in Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, but the most successful who made the jump was Jimmy Johnson, who had no pro experience prior to Dallas. I’m trying to figure out why he succeeded there, and to the Dolphins to a lesser extent, when practically everyone else failed spectacularly. Well, besides the Herschel Walker trade.
They had some pretty good pieces all over that roster by the time they were winning 3 super bowls (I know he didn't get the last one but still). The jags aren't that and don't look like they could be that in 3-4 years right now. Urban's ego was the issue. He thought he was going to waltz in and do the same old shit because he's the fucking head ball coach!
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:09 am With the complete shambolic tenure of Urban Meyer, it reinforces the difficulty in the college-to-pros jump for coaches. The few who’ve been successful recently had pro experience in some level in Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, but the most successful who made the jump was Jimmy Johnson, who had no pro experience prior to Dallas. I’m trying to figure out why he succeeded there, and to the Dolphins to a lesser extent, when practically everyone else failed spectacularly. Well, besides the Herschel Walker trade.
This may not be a popular view, but I think having an owner that backed him and also the salary cap came in the year after he left the Cowboys...

Aikman arrived just before the Walker trade (people forget the horrible Alonzo Highsmith trade with Houston too) and the roster turnover over a very short period of time was brutal and the hiring of Norv Turner was pretty great...
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 pm Joe Buck noting that it is “colder than normal” on the field as explanation for Patham’s arms shaking when they game is in LA was quite something.
Did a quintuple take at that one
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

You would think that by now, the NFL has a list of dos and don'ts for broadcasters when there is a scary or gross injury, covering what camera angles to avoid and what things not to say. If for nothing else, then as part of their effort to reverse the trend on youth participation. Maybe they do and Fox just blew through it like the Kool-Aid Man. Hard to lay the blame on just Joe Buck--that was a team effort to make that as uncomfortable to the viewer as possible.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, Erin Andrews seemed legit shook up I thought, and it was obviously serious. I get that they have to call the game, but going on and on was a bit much.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I empathize a little because when there's a terrible injury I just want to be quiet and they don't really have that option. That said ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think the bigger problem was the close up camera shots, like they were filming a very special episode of "House"
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

On the Urban thing... I get having a big ego as a football coach... You need to have huge balls to walk into one of the most testosterone enviros on the planet and attempt to lead them anywhere.

I think the issue with Meyer is that he refused to take ANY ownership of the troubles the team was having. He refuses to take blame for anything.

I also think the way he left both Florida (shady as fuck) and OSU (pretty much got fired over the Zach Smith fiasco) should've been more of a red flag for the Jags ownership.

As we saw in the stink-finger episode, the guy thinks he walks on water. No repercussions or self-awareness.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm not saying this isn't a thing but I would say that people never consider that a lot of NFL guys also make terrible NFL coaches. It's kind of like when you used to hear "a running QB has never won a Super Bowl!" when there were like 7 of them total and 125 terrible "traditional" QBs like Brock Osweiler.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:30 am On the Urban thing... I get having a big ego as a football coach... You need to have huge balls to walk into one of the most testosterone enviros on the planet and attempt to lead them anywhere.

I think the issue with Meyer is that he refused to take ANY ownership of the troubles the team was having. He refuses to take blame for anything.

I also think the way he left both Florida (shady as fuck) and OSU (pretty much got fired over the Zach Smith fiasco) should've been more of a red flag for the Jags ownership.

As we saw in the stink-finger episode, the guy thinks he walks on water. No repercussions or self-awareness.

Perhaps Shad Khan is a rodeo bull
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:18 am You would think that by now, the NFL has a list of dos and don'ts for broadcasters when there is a scary or gross injury, covering what camera angles to avoid and what things not to say. If for nothing else, then as part of their effort to reverse the trend on youth participation. Maybe they do and Fox just blew through it like the Kool-Aid Man. Hard to lay the blame on just Joe Buck--that was a team effort to make that as uncomfortable to the viewer as possible.
I can blame him for re-visiting it many minutes later when the game had moved on and coming up with the completely bullshit explanation for the spasms of Parham's arms we all saw many many minutes earlier as "colder than normal" temps on the field...IN LOS ANGELES.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am

I'm not saying this isn't a thing but I would say that people never consider that a lot of NFL guys also make terrible NFL coaches. It's kind of like when you used to hear "a running QB has never won a Super Bowl!" when there were like 7 of them total and 125 terrible "traditional" QBs like Brock Osweiler.
Michael Smith made this exact point on Rich Eisen yesterday. People love riding tropes into the ground, very rarely does anyone question it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:29 am I think the bigger problem was the close up camera shots, like they were filming a very special episode of "House"
Yep. Not just the super zoom with the 8K camera, but the cameraman maneuvering to really get the right angle to get his face perfectly framed.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Isn't it likely that the camera operator didn't realize the severity of the situation?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:49 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am

Michael Smith made this exact point on Rich Eisen yesterday. People love riding tropes into the ground, very rarely does anyone question it.

I think most of the times I am accused of being a "contrarian" I'm really just being a trope questioner.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:17 pm Isn't it likely that the camera operator didn't realize the severity of the situation?
Then, blame the director who decided that was the shot to televise.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:17 pm Isn't it likely that the camera operator didn't realize the severity of the situation?
Yeah, that's 100 percent on the guys in the truck. It's the job of the camera guys to gather the footage.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:02 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Yeah, that's 100 percent on the guys in the truck. It's the job of the camera guys to gather the footage.
Yeah. though I immediately saw the response and knew he was badly concussed, but if it were my job to film I suppose I would have done the same thing. Not sure if that particular camera man had a good view outside his scope. WHo knows. The truck gets the blame.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Looks like it's official: https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-raiders ... 51145.html

If this were a real world with actual consequences those fuckers should have to forfeit.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:48 pm Looks like it's official: https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-raiders ... 51145.html

If this were a real world with actual consequences those fuckers should have to forfeit.
That article says 24 Browns players tested positive! Are they doing a shitty job avoiding close contacts, are the players less cautious than other teams, is Cleveland dealing with an enormous outbreak? Something is going on.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:48 pm Looks like it's official: https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-raiders ... 51145.html

This is a hate crime.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

And, everybody wants to know if those Tuesday games will be considered "current week" by their fantasy football website.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:25 pm And, everybody wants to know if those Tuesday games will be considered "current week" by their fantasy football website.
I think they were last year.