Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Not so funny real life Capt Trips thread

Post by The Sybian »

My daughter went to basketball practice yesterday and said half the team was out sick. Just got an email that one of the girls tested positive, she was symptomatic since Tuesday. Last game was on Monday, so I have to assume she was exposed. We wanted to see if we could have our kids opt remote for school next week as close contacts, but if you are vaccinated and don't test positive, you can't go remote. She said half the school is sick right now, whether it's COVID or a cold, I'm not feeling good about sending them to school and going to Christmas with both sets of Grandparents. Really hoping they go virtual next week since so many kids are sick, and so many people are planning to see grandparents.

She has an outdoor soccer clinic tonight. Between being outdoors and a skills clinic, not a game or close contact, I don't think I'd be wrong to send her, but it just doesn't feel right. She is completely asymptomatic and vaccinated, but if she did test positive, I'd feel horrible. My wife bought some home tests, but they say it can take 5 days after exposure to test positive. Thinking we skip soccer, cancel the visit to my in-laws tomorrow to help them prepare for hosting XMas, and save the tests for before Christmas.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Grandparents parents old people and a likely funeral thrown in. Lots of planned travel in next 7-10 days. Bad spot here.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

By end of January will be 4,000 people a day dying in this country again. COVID death toll will be over 1,000,000 by 2-year anniversary of "shutdown" in mid-March.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

9 9/11s a fucking week and some people still don't believe this shit is real.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:58 pm 9 9/11s a fucking week and some people still don't believe this shit is real.
Jet fuel in the vaccine can't melt 5G.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Woke up yesterday feeling like crap. And got an alert that I'd had a 'close contact' from being at the Modest Mouse show last weekend.

So now I'm sitting here waiting for the test results from yesterday to come back. Fully vaxxed and boosted, but still....
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen dies after battle with COVID
State Sen. Doug Ericksen, a stalwart conservative, former leader of Donald Trump’s campaign in Washington and an outspoken critic of COVID-19 emergency orders, died Friday. He was 52.

Ericksen had said last month that he tested positive for the coronavirus while on a trip to El Salvador, although his cause of death was not immediately confirmed on Saturday.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hope you're OK DiS.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:29 pm Washington state Sen. Doug Ericksen dies after battle with COVID
State Sen. Doug Ericksen, a stalwart conservative, former leader of Donald Trump’s campaign in Washington and an outspoken critic of COVID-19 emergency orders, died Friday. He was 52.

Ericksen had said last month that he tested positive for the coronavirus while on a trip to El Salvador, although his cause of death was not immediately confirmed on Saturday.
Thoughts and prayers? ... Nahh.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:33 pm Hope you're OK DiS.
Thanks...just got my result back. Negative.

Sucks that anytime we get a cold now the first thought is going to be Covid.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Boosted yesterday afternoon (added a flu shot for good measure), arm started hurting last night. Didn't sleep great, woke up with very sore arm and some body aches, but three Advil already working. Gonna be fine with a low-key day.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

booster scheduled for.. jan 5th.. wtf.. nothing else is available around here, may need to look further.

drama yesterday - my sister called my MIL and told her that my youngest nephew has the covid and wasn't sure she'd be there for xmas day. for some reason she called her before calling me.. we were out shopping so my wife came to find me all livid.. while i was on hte phone with my sister.. the kid was exposed.. bunch of kids got it.. he was getting rapid tested yesterday (instead of his sscheduled shot, he's 9), whole family scheduled for pcr on monday. too much back and forth last night.. i'm more concerned he's ok and that no one gets sick.. she was kind enough to remind me i told her everyone was vaxxed when they came over for thanksgiving... fill in the blanks, and there's my saturday night.

more drama around xmas this year too but i'll leave that out for now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You’re a day late man. I volunteered at a walk up clinic in Clifton yesterday. Not sure when they’re doing their next one but can let you know know if it’s before 1/5.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We are up to 3 confirmed positives on my daughter's basketball team, with at least 3 more symptomatic. My daughter and the rest of my family are symptom free. For the first time, I just feel resigned to the fact that most people are going to get it now. It's spreading faster now than ever before, I just hope it's a less dangerous strain and if high percentages get it, we can burn through it and see lower rates on the other side.

I'm furious with one of the girls on the team. My daughter was really upset when she came home from school Friday, saying this girl was in school coughing (a wet cough), complaining of chills while visibly sweating and fell asleep in class. The girl was wearing her mask like a chin diaper all day. Several kids were yelling at her to cover her mouth and nose and go to the nurse or go home, but the little bitch said the mask was bothering her, and she didn't have COVID. Well, she got tested and has COVID. We are still symptom free in my house, but I'd be surprised if my daughter isn't positive. I'd be surprised if I wasn't too, as I was on the bench at 2 basketball games while a couple of the kids were spreaders. I never took off my mask, but they are unmasked during games.

Another fun note, Patient Zero from the basketball team... First, her father is the other assistant coach. He came to a game the week before straight from the airport after a week in Spain. When he showed up, my daughter looked worried and said, "shouldn't he quarantine?" Probably... Patient Zero was symptomatic since Tuesday, didn't bother to tell anyone until Friday. Her mother texted my wife constantly throughout that period, never mentioned it. Then on Friday, calls and says how lucky they are because she did the math, and she will be cleared to see family on Christmas because her quarantine ends on 12/24! Super! Did you fucking think that means everyone your daughter exposed, including me and my daughter have to cancel Christmas plans because your daughter exposed us? I'm sparing you the 12 years of aggravation from this family preceding this. They are the cause of 90% of the drama my wife and daughter face, which is why I am so set off by this small act of selfish lack of self-awareness.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Dad has it. Bad sore throat. Nothing else. Spent 7 hours in the car with him 2 days before he tested positive. I've had a dry cough for 2 days now. No fever. Negative yesterday morning. Taking another test this afternoon.

Hopefully the booster doing it's job and not letting me get to detectable levels. Get your shots folks.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Sorry so many of you are having to deal with this right now. Things are definitely getting worse around here again, but no direct exposures so far. Hoping the school break helps mitigate it for now.

Talked with a neighbor yesterday that is vaxxed but had a breakthrough case about 6 weeks ago. Was a mild case, no real issues, but he went to the ER Tuesday thinking he was having a heart attack. Turned out to be inflammation, likely covid related. He's 42.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If we are at the point where it isn’t crazy to speculate that “everybody will eventually get it”, you guys can imagine how concerned this makes me for my immuno-compromised 86 and 82 year-old parents. Infection could be a death sentence for them, even though they are triple vaxxed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Basketball team now up to 5 confirmed cases and 3 more symptomatic. 8 out of 13 symptomatic. Head coach and his whole family had it just a couple months ago, so maybe that makes them safe? My daughter is really worried, but I told her she was exposed to them Sunday and Monday last week, and if she isn't showing any symptoms, I don't think she will at this point. It's very possible she could have caught it at school after, but I would think the exposure from 7 days ago would show signs if she was going to get symptoms. I'm debating getting her tested, but sick people are struggling to get appointments right now.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:06 pm Basketball team now up to 5 confirmed cases and 3 more symptomatic. 8 out of 13 symptomatic. Head coach and his whole family had it just a couple months ago, so maybe that makes them safe? My daughter is really worried, but I told her she was exposed to them Sunday and Monday last week, and if she isn't showing any symptoms, I don't think she will at this point. It's very possible she could have caught it at school after, but I would think the exposure from 7 days ago would show signs if she was going to get symptoms. I'm debating getting her tested, but sick people are struggling to get appointments right now.
I would definitely try to get her tested. And I'd be absolutely livid at the other parents (and the kid).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:06 pm Basketball team now up to 5 confirmed cases and 3 more symptomatic. 8 out of 13 symptomatic. Head coach and his whole family had it just a couple months ago, so maybe that makes them safe? My daughter is really worried, but I told her she was exposed to them Sunday and Monday last week, and if she isn't showing any symptoms, I don't think she will at this point. It's very possible she could have caught it at school after, but I would think the exposure from 7 days ago would show signs if she was going to get symptoms. I'm debating getting her tested, but sick people are struggling to get appointments right now.
I would definitely try to get her tested. And I'd be absolutely livid at the other parents (and the kid).
I wasn't impressed with the kid before all this. My daughter showed me this girl's TikTok account. She spent the day posting stupid dance videos with captions underneath saying, "I have COVID [frown emoji]." My wife asked if other people noticed the girl's symptoms in school, and she mentioned another friend who hugged her and said "it's OK, you'll get better." That girl tested positive today. I coached that girl in soccer and basketball almost every year since she was 5 or 6. Not remotely surprised she is that stupid.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Fox News host threatens the life of Dr Fauci...

Totally normal stuff...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

CNN and MSNBC definitely have agendas, but I can't imagine a personality from one of those networks speaking at a college activist group and telling them what to do to create footage the networks can use to attack government officials. I'm a broken record on this, but fuck the equivalency arguments.

I only watched 10 seconds of the longer video, but I'm disgusted that James O'Keefe isn't in prison, and how can they still hold him up as a reliable filmmaker (can't call him a journalist when his videos are fabricated) after all the evidence that his videos were completely faked.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I wish the MSNBC agenda were like 1/10th as left as people try to frame it in order to balance out Fox. Its just different corporate.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^^^^^JFC

Youngest’s MS is now virtual for the final two school days of the year.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Who has 2 thumbs, 5 stents and 3 vaccinations?

This guy!
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:13 pm ^^^^^JFC

One of our two middle schools and the HS are, plus various classes. We're considering just pulling them for the last 1.5 days and calling it a year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:13 pm

So jealous.

I was assuming at least some of the positive girls on the basketball team were vaxxed and I was concerned that all these vaccinated kids are symptomatic. Shocked that some aren't. Remember when the vax first came out and a friend scheduled appointments for me and my wife when we weren't eligible? Her daughter is patient zero, no vax. She was publicizing all over social media how she has scheduled 100s of vaccine appointments. She told us that she twice scheduled her daughter for appointments before she was 12 and tried to lie her way into getting shots but was turned away both times. Daughter turned 12 two months ago, so I am shocked she wasn't vaxed. She also said she is furious at the girl who refused to wear the mask in school, or more mad at her parents. She is saying the girl tested positive before a game but they parents thought she was OK to play because the line on the home test was very faint, so she was only a little sick. Not sure I believe her, I think she wants to shift Patient Zero status off her daughter.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Feel like that tweet last week proved a faint line means you're positive.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:38 am booster scheduled for.. jan 5th.. wtf.. nothing else is available around here, may need to look further.

drama yesterday - my sister called my MIL and told her that my youngest nephew has the covid and wasn't sure she'd be there for xmas day. for some reason she called her before calling me.. we were out shopping so my wife came to find me all livid.. while i was on hte phone with my sister.. the kid was exposed.. bunch of kids got it.. he was getting rapid tested yesterday (instead of his sscheduled shot, he's 9), whole family scheduled for pcr on monday. too much back and forth last night.. i'm more concerned he's ok and that no one gets sick.. she was kind enough to remind me i told her everyone was vaxxed when they came over for thanksgiving... fill in the blanks, and there's my saturday night.

more drama around xmas this year too but i'll leave that out for now.
spoke with my sister this morning.. all kids tested negative both on rapid and PCR, so did she and none are worse for the wear, but the BIL... is positive AND sick w covid.. the 48yro BIL who had a heart attack (resulting in a stent put in) a week before thanksgiving.. so they are not coming to my parents.. she already told them (haven't spoken w them but guessing my mother is hearbroken and my dad is annoyed).. we're still going down, will see my folks on xmas eve, my MIL on xmas day and spend a couple of days visiting/helping out. maybe see some old friends for my bday next week, then back to home to jersey where our son's HS is sending out multiple notifciations daily (as are the elementary and ms) but no plans to shut down or provide remote option. Oh, and my business travel plans for January (Albany, Houston, Dallas, Glendale) are now all cancelled as we're back to essential workers only. Fun times (mancation ski trip at end of jan still on though.. steamboat)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

3 vaccinations.

Still got it.

I feel great. No worries here. Omicron doesn't give a fuck about your shots but they sure do make it more pleasant to deal with.

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Hang in there, BSF, and enjoy the extra bed rest.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:55 am 3 vaccinations.

Still got it.

I feel great. No worries here. Omicron doesn't give a fuck about your shots but they sure do make it more pleasant to deal with.
Good luck sounds like you're in the clear til the next variant. So this is how it ends? Will we make it til the end of the Greek alphabet before anyone stops caring.

That's what I worry about as I feel great on the shitter at my frail in laws. Have not been careful due to birthday and HS and basketball (hawks saved me but youth sport persists) and newark and yuk.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:55 am 3 vaccinations.

Still got it.

Hang in there BSF. Hope its not too tough a go for ya!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit BSF. Hope you continue to feel ok.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Everyone I've called is TX is sick. 3/3 but still.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sister-in-law and family were flying up from ATL today. My nephew (sophomore in high school tested positive). He sits bench on the varsity hoops team. Was going to fly back for tournament on xmas day. Glad they found out before getting on a plane (and showing up at my place).

Brother in law is a biz dev (PHD and MBA) for drug company. Brother-in-law asked if they could still come.
Sister-in-law does work with the CDC. Glad she did not ask to still visit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

"Smart" viruses mutate in a way that makes them endemic. They basically "figure out" that they're killing all the hosts, so they become less deadly, but often much more transmissible.

IOW, we are likely going to add COVID to the cold and flu season. If it means wearing a mask in late-Fall and through winter, big whoop.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Mother in law that coughs uncontrollably on a good day just told my wife to stop pestering and grabbed the son while I was on a call to go shopping at Walmart. Nevermind she shouldn't be driving at all. Merry Christmas folks... Wait til the liquor and uncle and cousins kick in.

ETA. And post office.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:49 pm "Smart" viruses mutate in a way that makes them endemic. They basically "figure out" that they're killing all the hosts, so they become less deadly, but often much more transmissible.

IOW, we are likely going to add COVID to the cold and flu season. If it means wearing a mask in late-Fall and through winter, big whoop.
That's my bet. And that's fine. As long as it doesn't mercilessly kill large segments of the population I think this development might be a net positive.