OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by Rush2112 »

Yes we pick on her about it... That's still the original design. Not sure why she hasn't updated

Great bikes though.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I bought a new bike yesterday! A Specialized Gravel bike...to be my new commuter this winter, and to do gravel rides with the GF's daughter and her boyfriend next summer.

The weight difference between it and my old steel hybrid bike is staggering.

Now I just need to get back into the routine of going to my office.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

23:01 for a 5k this morning. Didn't beat that bastard Rass's Thanksgiving time, but it was my second best strava time (my best is a fully downhill course invented by my group for a virtual 5k, so that will be tough to break). Thinking of trying my first marathon in May up in Vermont.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:47 pm 23:01 for a 5k this morning. Didn't beat that bastard Rass's Thanksgiving time, but it was my second best strava time (my best is a fully downhill course invented by my group for a virtual 5k, so that will be tough to break). Thinking of trying my first marathon in May up in Vermont.
Nice! That's moving.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah man, great run.

And sorry about not saying so earlier because now have my own shit to whine about.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Right ankle/foot has been bugging me for weeks. Can’t pinpoint an incident that caused this. I guess I first noticed on a long run the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so I took that short week off from running, to make sure I was good for the turkey trot. I felt it then, and was a little sore after, but hoped it would go away. I ran a short run on that Friday because I was hungover and that helps, skipped Saturday, ran Sunday (5 or 6 miles) and then took this entire past week off.

Decided to get new shoes yesterday (old ones were 2+ months and 300 miles in) and the sneaker store dude told me I was totally pronated so I went home with a new pair of Hokas and some inserts and felt ok when I ran today until I stopped for 5 minutes to grab some bagels and it’s just felt locked up since.

I have PTO for days to use up before the end of the year so I guess I’m going to find an orthopedist to take a look?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Thanks. I would trust an orphopedist more than a sneaker store dude. I hated Hokas when I tried them and wouldn't be too quick to switch types of shoes if you have history of success with your usual type. I'm guessing you were totally pronated for years without issue, and hopefully it's just an injury that will heal soon.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But they feel great!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Except for now.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have you tried not using the foot that’s bothering you when you’re running?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

How many weekends of hopping on one foot through SO and blaming it on you directly by name when asked would it take before it gets back to you?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Direct? Probably a long time. Via my oldest? 3 weeks?

Remember, my name is common enough it’s a coin flip if I’m the only one in my town.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I walk for miles every day and have lost some weight, and go to yoga every week. So, I was feeling kind of strong when my daughter asked last week if I wanted to go for a run with her. After attempting to keep up with her, I was then disabused of any confidence I had. I know now I couldn't even finish a 5-k now without walking part of it. The struggle continues.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:42 pm I walk for miles every day and have lost some weight, and go to yoga every week. So, I was feeling kind of strong when my daughter asked last week if I wanted to go for a run with her. After attempting to keep up with her, I was then disabused of any confidence I had. I know now I couldn't even finish a 5-k now without walking part of it. The struggle continues.
What if...you don't need a 5-k to validate the good work you've put in? The daily walking and yoga is likely miles better than most people period, let alone your age.

Plus using words like "disabused" means you don't have to run fast anywhere. Have your valet pick you up!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Remember, my name is common enough it’s a coin flip if I’m the only one in my town.
I went to an appointment with my therapist a few months ago and she looked confused and said she wasn’t expecting me. She broke the code and told me she has a new patient with the same name and was expecting to see him. I wonder if it’s the guy in the neighboring town with 20+ unpaid debts and arrests that comes up when I buy a house or apply for a mortgage or the guy who moved to my town and constantly pops up in FB as a person I might know.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:02 am
sancarlos wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:42 pm I walk for miles every day and have lost some weight, and go to yoga every week. So, I was feeling kind of strong when my daughter asked last week if I wanted to go for a run with her. After attempting to keep up with her, I was then disabused of any confidence I had. I know now I couldn't even finish a 5-k now without walking part of it. The struggle continues.
What if...you don't need a 5-k to validate the good work you've put in? The daily walking and yoga is likely miles better than most people period, let alone your age.

Plus using words like "disabused" means you don't have to run fast anywhere. Have your valet pick you up!
Echo AB. If I tried to keep up with a college aged runner, I'd be walking by mile 2. And there is nothing wrong with walking breaks during a run.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:35 pm Right ankle/foot has been bugging me for weeks. Can’t pinpoint an incident that caused this. I guess I first noticed on a long run the Sunday before Thanksgiving, so I took that short week off from running, to make sure I was good for the turkey trot. I felt it then, and was a little sore after, but hoped it would go away. I ran a short run on that Friday because I was hungover and that helps, skipped Saturday, ran Sunday (5 or 6 miles) and then took this entire past week off.

Decided to get new shoes yesterday (old ones were 2+ months and 300 miles in) and the sneaker store dude told me I was totally pronated so I went home with a new pair of Hokas and some inserts and felt ok when I ran today until I stopped for 5 minutes to grab some bagels and it’s just felt locked up since.

I have PTO for days to use up before the end of the year so I guess I’m going to find an orthopedist to take a look?
my left foot has been bugging me for basically all of 2021. it's bizarre and came out of nowhere.

it started in February/March when I couldn't wear shoes for a long period of time because the outside of the middle of my foot felt like it was getting stabbed. then it switched over to more of the bottom of my foot and this pain that feels like it's in a vice grip.

it's sore when I wake up every morning but the pain goes away. and I can run with generally no issues now (I couldn't run at all for most of the spring and summer). but uneven surfaces are a trigger and so is playing golf. that's my back leg and I think all the rotating angers it.

anyway, yeah, I need to see an orthopedist too. It'd be nice to be totally pain free and run a half marathon again.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Have an appt for Thursday morning.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:00 am
my left foot has been bugging me for basically all of 2021. it's bizarre and came out of nowhere.

it started in February/March when I couldn't wear shoes for a long period of time because the outside of the middle of my foot felt like it was getting stabbed. then it switched over to more of the bottom of my foot and this pain that feels like it's in a vice grip.

it's sore when I wake up every morning but the pain goes away. and I can run with generally no issues now (I couldn't run at all for most of the spring and summer). but uneven surfaces are a trigger and so is playing golf. that's my back leg and I think all the rotating angers it.

anyway, yeah, I need to see an orthopedist too. It'd be nice to be totally pain free and run a half marathon again.
I'll ask an obvious question - could it be plantar fasciitis?

I've had that a couple of times, but fortunately not a chronic condition.

Good luck with it.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

possibly? it doesn't meet the description of it, but I've wondered that too. easily the most painful lower body injury I've dealt with (which means I've been fortunate so far)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gout?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

definitely not that
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sounds like PF, but what do I know?

Also, orthos are great if you have structural issues, but I swear by my sports massage/physio guy. A true healer.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Bronto, is there a knot or a hard spot on the underside of your foot? My wife has experienced siilar pain to what you're saying and it's some kind of mass that forms and usually requires surgery to fix. I'll ask what the name of the condition is.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Only time I had a plantar fascia issue it did feel like there was like a rock inside my foot which had me convinced I had a broken and displaced bone. It was brutal but hasn't come back for a decade so that's nice.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I've always gotten plantar fascitis in the center of my heel. Maybe it could present more centrally? Biggest regret of my childhood was waiting 3 years to see a doctor. When they did a scan, he saw the ligament was frayed to the point that I couldn't continue playing soccer. Surgery was possible, but he said there was a 50% chance of destroying the ligament, so he wouldn't entertain the option. Really a shame, as stretching at the first sign of pain usually knocks it out before it becomes an issue. He gave me sole inserts, but I don't think they did anything.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:55 pm I've always gotten plantar fascitis in the center of my heel. Maybe it could present more centrally? Biggest regret of my childhood was waiting 3 years to see a doctor. When they did a scan, he saw the ligament was frayed to the point that I couldn't continue playing soccer. Surgery was possible, but he said there was a 50% chance of destroying the ligament, so he wouldn't entertain the option. Really a shame, as stretching at the first sign of pain usually knocks it out before it becomes an issue. He gave me sole inserts, but I don't think they did anything.
Center of the heel was definitely a symptom I had, as well as a feeling like a guitar string thinness of pain that ran up the back of my heel towards my calf. Another thing for me was that I could run in discomfort and after about a mile the discomfort went away.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Got xrays, no actual structural damage. Doc says my right foot is all Ruby Sue's eye after she falls down a well but before she gets kicked by a mule. Going to a podiatrist to get custom-made orthotics, and he suggested I stop running until I get those AND everything no longer hurts. So not the worst prognosis, but no magic to get me out running again either.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Crossed foot" sounds like a 1700s issue. Probably fatal.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:48 pm Got xrays, no actual structural damage. Doc says my right foot is all Ruby Sue's eye after she falls down a well but before she gets kicked by a mule. Going to a podiatrist to get custom-made orthotics, and he suggested I stop running until I get those AND everything no longer hurts. So not the worst prognosis, but no magic to get me out running again either.
I'm thinking carrying the bagels is what caused the problem.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Anyone know of any good long distance virtual runs similar to this one? 325 miles over the course of 6 months or so... https://sodisp.com/events/great-colorad ... lenge-2021

Looking for something to help motivate me, this was a big help this year.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Work has made me slovenly. Making a concerted effort to get back in shape. Got some new toys for my bike, so went out for a decent ride today. Did 40 miles at 16.1mph and felt good for all but the last five. It’s Tennessee river valley so lots of up and down and outside of a couple 2/3 miles stretches hard to get too comfortable in a cadence.

That said, new tires, new pedals, and new shoes made a world of difference. Going to try and push the mileage in the next several months. Also first time wearing an actual padded bib and I can walk like I didn’t just clean the undercarriage with an sos pad, so that’s nice too.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

20 years ago or so I started running recreationally. Mostly to lose some weight. Since then I’ve kept with it, sometimes more frequently than others, sometimes mostly on a treadmill, sometimes mostly outside. When COVID hit I spent the next year and half plus running almost everyday, always outside, and even when I’ve tried to pace myself better the past 5 or 6 months I’m still out running multiple times a week.

This morning, for the first time ever, I found myself caught out with no choice but to stop, drop, and squat. There was no getting home, and no proper refuge public or private. After slowing to a walk for a bit I realized what was going to happen and managed to make it to the back corner of a parking lot for a medical office building. I ducked behind a fence meant to hide the building’s dumpster and was done in seconds. When I left the parking lot I was at an intersection with a traffic light and there were two cop cars waiting at the light. I made it the last mile and a half or so home without incident.
23AB06B7-4DE6-4790-B698-52F9DB965E6F.jpeg
23AB06B7-4DE6-4790-B698-52F9DB965E6F.jpeg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 393 times
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Happened to me once. Finished the run without my shirt. It was needed elsewhere.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just wow. I get it but wow.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I want to know the exact location.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

No kink shaming...but that's one I don't get Mr. D.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:24 pm I want to know the exact location.
I was gonna say I luckily stayed in town because I definitely could have got caught in a fully residential area had I gone your way and for sure some fucking NIMBY would have seen me and complained, but had I done that route I would have had the opportunity to double back to the wawa.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:03 pm No kink shaming...but that's one I don't get Mr. D.
Eventually I plan on running a NJ Swamp Tours business and this seems like a necessary stop for the superfans.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:24 pm I want to know the exact location.
Please put a spoiler tag when you post pictures.
-Pruitt