Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by A_B »

Mrs. Giff works in healthcare and I think everyone in healthcare hates Epic Systems, so maybe that's it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:05 am Mrs. Giff works in healthcare and I think everyone in healthcare hates Epic Systems, so maybe that's it.
Just reading the name gave me a wave of nausea. My wife had to lead a the project to shift an entire hospital system from another system to Epic. Absolute nightmare (but a much better system once implemented and learned).

Although she did get to spend a week at their corporate HQ, which has to be the most unique corporate office space:

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

My daughter and I just created a new game to annoy my wife. Tom's Diner. We have the echo just random play Tom's Diner instrumental and then narrate everything she and the dog are doing. Fantastic improve parlor game. I can now have my daughter giggle just by saying "dah ta dah da"
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think I've ever successfully used a bottle of Super Glue twice. I buy one, use like two drops to fix something, cap it up, and then get it back out six months later to glue something else ... and it's all hard as a rock. Every single time. They should just sell it as single use.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They do, but those are also useless.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just sent probably an all-timer weird "help a Swamper out" email to DSafe just a minute ago.

Hope to share with you guys pretty soon.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 pm I just sent probably an all-timer weird "help a Swamper out" email to DSafe just a minute ago.

Hope it wasn't a request for bar glasses.

I kid, I kid.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bags full of piss for next March?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 pm I just sent probably an all-timer weird "help a Swamper out" email to DSafe just a minute ago.

It was.
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:10 pmHope it wasn't a request for bar glasses.

I kid, I kid.
He should be back on land now or very close to it, so I just sent him an email. Thanks for reminding me... and not about your pint glasses.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

What's the historical precedence of playing The Addams Family song at basketball games?

Also, why is Hava Nagila played at hockey games?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well thanks to the big ass fire burning dangerously close to my house (while I'm in upstate NY) I found that Navy Billy lives rather close to me.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 pm Well thanks to the big ass fire burning dangerously close to my house (while I'm in upstate NY) I found that Navy Billy lives rather close to me.
How close is it to your place? The news coverage on this has been unbelievable.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm in downtown Boulder and can see the Louisville one from my deck.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This shit is hilarious:

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:46 pm I'm in downtown Boulder and can see the Louisville one from my deck.
Glad you're out of harm's way!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:49 pm This shit is hilarious:

The odds say "The Bull" is the second-most likely to be a real name.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Finally found a newsfeed. This is nuts. Nearly 600 homes? Pretty sure the yoga studio my friend just opened is gonzo. The snow can't come fast enough.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:56 pm Finally found a newsfeed. This is nuts. Nearly 600 homes? Pretty sure the yoga studio my friend just opened is gonzo. The snow can't come fast enough.
I'd bet daylight reveals much worse, unfortunately. Watching 9 News, their reporters had to keep moving, sometimes in the middle of a segment. Unbelievable how fast it was moving.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

We could see flames from here in Longmont as well.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

phxgators wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:15 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 pm Well thanks to the big ass fire burning dangerously close to my house (while I'm in upstate NY) I found that Navy Billy lives rather close to me.
How close is it to your place? The news coverage on this has been unbelievable.
The evac is on the north side of 112th, we live off 100th. Thankfully the airport is a fire break. Our car is in the "zone" (as we took RTD to DIA) but I think it'll be ok. Neighbors haven't left yet but will evacuate the cats if need be.

and of course, this happens when I just buy a keg for the kegerator...I've only had one pitcher!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Alos fun that the Alpha folks have a Lamda as their symbol.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I would describe the atmospheric bouquet as "burnt plastic with notes of Greeley".
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Be safe guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my wife and I went out to dinner last night (we are fully vax'd, and we ate at the bar where there weren't any people other than us). The reason we chose this particular restaurant is because a longtime mutual friend of ours was hired there a month or so ago. She is as big of a conduit to the past life I led while living in Fells Point as anyone I know. Anyway, way back in the late 90s she bartended in Fells point at a place called Fletchers (if you're from the Baltimore region, you likely remember this place), and one of her coworkers was this bar-back. Nice enough guy, but he got his ambition all twisted up into expanding from selling pot to other drugs out of his apartment. It got him killed (gruesome territory murder where his assailants burst into his home, threw a blanket over his girlfriend and then proceeded to kill him with a point-blank shotgun blast to the chest). We didn't speak of this, or even of him at all last night, but we talked about a lot of things. Good for the soul stuff. We left after a couple of hours, and watched some TV back at the house. My wife went upstairs and I fell asleep in my chair probably a couple hours or so later. I then proceed to dream that I am asleep in my chair, and am awakened by a loud noise. I "wake up" to discover two or three men running out of my house (one of whom has a rifle). I then scream at them, and at this point, I am actually awake (really woke up) and am screaming. I ran to the front door to look for the people who had just shot my wife, and then quickly ran upstairs. Around the time I reached the landing atop the stairs I realized I was dreaming and I was now 'conscious' from that dream. Of course, I had a few drinks (Whistle Pig) while out to dinner, so that likely didn't help matters.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jeez. Sounds like a falling back to sleep was off the table so more whiskey kind of night.

(I had one of those dream nights where I kept trying to pee and then woke up having to pee)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:17 pm So my wife and I went out to dinner last night (we are fully vax'd, and we ate at the bar where there weren't any people other than us). The reason we chose this particular restaurant is because a longtime mutual friend of ours was hired there a month or so ago. She is as big of a conduit to the past life I led while living in Fells Point as anyone I know. Anyway, way back in the late 90s she bartended in Fells point at a place called Fletchers (if you're from the Baltimore region, you likely remember this place), and one of her coworkers was this bar-back. Nice enough guy, but he got his ambition all twisted up into expanding from selling pot to other drugs out of his apartment. It got him killed (gruesome territory murder where his assailants burst into his home, threw a blanket over his girlfriend and then proceeded to kill him with a point-blank shotgun blast to the chest). We didn't speak of this, or even of him at all last night, but we talked about a lot of things. Good for the soul stuff. We left after a couple of hours, and watched some TV back at the house. My wife went upstairs and I fell asleep in my chair probably a couple hours or so later. I then proceed to dream that I am asleep in my chair, and am awakened by a loud noise. I "wake up" to discover two or three men running out of my house (one of whom has a rifle). I then scream at them, and at this point, I am actually awake (really woke up) and am screaming. I ran to the front door to look for the people who had just shot my wife, and then quickly ran upstairs. Around the time I reached the landing atop the stairs I realized I was dreaming and I was now 'conscious' from that dream. Of course, I had a few drinks (Whistle Pig) while out to dinner, so that likely didn't help matters.
That sounds horrible. I remember Fletcher’s well.

What restaurant?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:58 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:17 pm So my wife and I went out to dinner last night (we are fully vax'd, and we ate at the bar where there weren't any people other than us). The reason we chose this particular restaurant is because a longtime mutual friend of ours was hired there a month or so ago. She is as big of a conduit to the past life I led while living in Fells Point as anyone I know. Anyway, way back in the late 90s she bartended in Fells point at a place called Fletchers (if you're from the Baltimore region, you likely remember this place), and one of her coworkers was this bar-back. Nice enough guy, but he got his ambition all twisted up into expanding from selling pot to other drugs out of his apartment. It got him killed (gruesome territory murder where his assailants burst into his home, threw a blanket over his girlfriend and then proceeded to kill him with a point-blank shotgun blast to the chest). We didn't speak of this, or even of him at all last night, but we talked about a lot of things. Good for the soul stuff. We left after a couple of hours, and watched some TV back at the house. My wife went upstairs and I fell asleep in my chair probably a couple hours or so later. I then proceed to dream that I am asleep in my chair, and am awakened by a loud noise. I "wake up" to discover two or three men running out of my house (one of whom has a rifle). I then scream at them, and at this point, I am actually awake (really woke up) and am screaming. I ran to the front door to look for the people who had just shot my wife, and then quickly ran upstairs. Around the time I reached the landing atop the stairs I realized I was dreaming and I was now 'conscious' from that dream. Of course, I had a few drinks (Whistle Pig) while out to dinner, so that likely didn't help matters.

What restaurant?
Yeah, for a brief 5-10 seconds I was horrified. Blue Hill Tavern (Conkling Street & Dillon Street in Canton)...
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:10 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:58 pm

What restaurant?
Yeah, for a brief 5-10 seconds I was horrified. Blue Hill Tavern (Conkling Street & Dillon Street in Canton)...
I like that place. Good shrimp and grits if I remember correctly.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:22 pm (I had one of those dream nights where I kept trying to pee and then woke up having to pee)
I have versions of this several times per week; either trying to find a place to go or just trying to go. It’s going to end badly eventually.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ever have those sleep paralysis dreams where there's an apparition with a scythe at the foot of your bed and you'd swear you're awake but you're dead asleep and you can't move? Those are fun.

Same with losing your teeth and you wake up hard clenching your jaw to keep the rest from falling out.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:12 pm
rass wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:22 pm (I had one of those dream nights where I kept trying to pee and then woke up having to pee)
I have versions of this several times per week; either trying to find a place to go or just trying to go. It’s going to end badly eventually.
Never tempt fate. You have this dream wake the duck up!

ETA: the piss drinking duck, obviously.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does this mean I've been assimilated?
Wordle 206 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:58 pm Does this mean I've been assimilated?
Wordle 206 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It's a lot of fun. But the annoying thing is that suddenly everyone seems to be posting their results on Facebook.

(Got it in three today)
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

pruitt2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:58 pm Does this mean I've been assimilated?
Wordle 206 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It's a lot of fun. But the annoying thing is that suddenly everyone seems to be posting their results on Facebook.

(Got it in three today)
This was my first try at it. It does seem fun, but I would guess it fades out in about a month.

I wonder if I have an advantage because I've done crossword puzzles for so long.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If you ask me, Wordle has incredible airplane seat back game potential. A great way to pass 10-15 minutes and then forget it exists until the next time you fly.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 pm
pruitt2 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:28 pm
Wordle 206 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(Got it in three today)
This was my first try at it. It does seem fun, but I would guess it fades out in about a month.

I wonder if I have an advantage because I've done crossword puzzles for so long.
One of my goto time wasting apps is one of those games where you get 5 or 6 letters and have to produce words to fit into a crossword type layout. That is also helpful, apparently. Though I didn't really understand what I was doing at first and burned a round.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 pm

[/quote]

I'm thinking the exact same things.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I just got really lucky not quite understanding what I was doing. This could be fun.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:55 pm I just got really lucky not quite understanding what I was doing. This could be fun.
I’m in. This is a good waiting room time killer.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Wordled for the first time yesterday, got it in three, today was five