Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by mister d »

Piggy-backing ... I'm open to recommendations for comedians who (1) don't fall back into any level of "woke/millennial" jokes and (2) won't yell at me. I really loved early Jerrod Carmichael, Mulaney grew on me to the point of actively liking him, Seth Meyers was solid and Nate Benghazi(sp) is right about my mendoza line of not turning it off.

Thank you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Tom Papa is pretty good.

Tom Segura too.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's Nate Bargatze, who I like a lot.

Co-sign pru's recommendations. Papa is especially not confrontational.

Todd Barry is very funny if you can handle a little quirkiness. (Delivery reminds me a bit of Papa, which is probably why the synapses fired there.)
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Gaffigan, Jim Jefferies, Jesselnik, Sebastian Maniscalco
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:49 pmPapa is especially not confrontational.
Its not confrontation that I don't like, its literal yelling. Carmichael's delivery is perfect for me. For that reason, I hated the 3 minutes I saw of Maniscalso.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:03 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:49 pmPapa is especially not confrontational.
Its not confrontation that I don't like, its literal yelling. Carmichael's delivery is perfect for me. For that reason, I hated the 3 minutes I saw of Maniscalso.
I was moving too fast... I got ya. Give a listen to Papa and Barry.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thanks.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Todd Barry is fantastic, but I gotta say I haven't heard anything from him in years. He is like Steven Wright with an extra cup of coffee. Very slow delivery, but brilliant. Bargatze is good, I love Jesselnik, but he can be dark and controversial. I love that, but there is no topic he will sidestep. Rape, dropping babies on their heads, probably the best joke writer out there today. A new kid coming up named Ben Daniel out of Houston shows a lot of promise.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Todd Barry is a great Twitter follow. I love his faux-arrogance.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Leslie Jones
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's called knowing your audience, folks.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:49 pm Todd Barry is fantastic, but I gotta say I haven't heard anything from him in years. He is like Steven Wright with an extra cup of coffee. Very slow delivery, but brilliant. Bargatze is good, I love Jesselnik, but he can be dark and controversial. I love that, but there is no topic he will sidestep. Rape, dropping babies on their heads, probably the best joke writer out there today. A new kid coming up named Ben Daniel out of Houston shows a lot of promise.
Giff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:12 pm What's the difference between Betty White and Paul Walker?

Paul Walker hit 100 before he died.
Another Houston comic emerges.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

And this one doesn't shit on transgender folks!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:37 pm And this one doesn't shit on transgender folks!
Oh boy. I finally watched Chappelle's special last night. I wasn't going to bother bringing it up, but if you watch the special, it's actually quite the opposite. He is showing support. Yes he makes jokes about transgendered people, but to make a bigger point. He also destroyed white people, Jews, black people... He was actually making the point that while he makes jokes about transgender people, he wasn't punching anyone. And when his transgender friend supported him on Twitter, the LGBTQ community trashed her so thoroughly on Twitter that she killed herself. Then he made a joke making fun of her, because he said she would have loved that.

What I found interesting about all the backlash (I only read two or three articles and too much on Twitter then figured it was pointless to read without watching the special) is nobody actually cited anything specific that was an attack on transgendered people. They all piled on, and I'm guessing most never actually watched the special, but heard Dave was transphobic and piled on. If you took some of the jokes out of context, some sound bad, but then he follows up with an explanation. For example, he made a comment that he doesn't like the gay rights movement, then he follows by explaining because the gay rights movement was so much more successful than black rights movement. He is happy for them, but jealous, and wishes blacks could have been as successful. To me it was a net positive and nothing he said is going to inspire hate or attacks.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm What I found interesting about all the backlash (I only read two or three articles and too much on Twitter then figured it was pointless to read without watching the special) is nobody actually cited anything specific that was an attack on transgendered people.
Team TERF?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

"I have a black friend, I can't be racist!"
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 pm "I have a black friend, I can't be racist!"
Not at all his point.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Don't bother, Syb. I remember waking up to a massive backlash on social media over the special and thought "Holy shit, this is bad." So I watched. I had similar feelings too you. But any measure of starting an honest dialogue about it is met with an overwhelming level of "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT FOR DEFENDING THAT" and I noped out. Not worth the typing energy for me.

It really felt like a case of several people hated it, typed up seething headlines, it gained traction on social media because of course it would, and off to the races the rest of the internet went.

I'm still curious as to how many people with such passionate responses to the special *actually fucking watched it beginning to end.*
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you think the Netflix walkout was based off one person reading a negative review and everyone else just falling in line?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No idea. People are free to react how they wish.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 pm Do you think the Netflix walkout was based off one person reading a negative review and everyone else just falling in line?
Do you think everyone who walked out was offended? Or did a percentage walk out because they didn’t want to be “that guy”?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Like every protest from the beginning of time?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:30 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 pm "I have a black friend, I can't be racist!"
Not at all his point.
How did you watch it? I thought he was cancelled?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:52 pm Do you think the Netflix walkout was based off one person reading a negative review and everyone else just falling in line?
Do you think everyone who walked out was offended? Or did a percentage walk out because they didn’t want to be “that guy”?
You could say that about a lot of causes people feel strongly about.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:15 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:05 pm What I found interesting about all the backlash (I only read two or three articles and too much on Twitter then figured it was pointless to read without watching the special) is nobody actually cited anything specific that was an attack on transgendered people.
Team TERF?
Weird how when twisting themselves into a pretzel to defend what was said, this part is left out. Since I refuse to watch anyone who complains about cancel culture (ironic?), I'm not going to waste my time watching a "canceled" millionaire whine to me so can someone please explain how his "I'm team TERF" was taken out of context or shouldn't be considered offensive to transgendered folks?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:53 am
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:15 pm
Team TERF?
Weird how when twisting themselves into a pretzel to defend what was said, this part is left out. Since I refuse to watch anyone who complains about cancel culture (ironic?), I'm not going to waste my time watching a "canceled" millionaire whine to me so can someone please explain how his "I'm team TERF" was taken out of context or shouldn't be considered offensive to transgendered folks?
He didn't actually say he is trans-exclusionary. He said "I'm Team TERF" sarcastically, quoting the accusations against him, then explained how he isn't transphobic. If you just read the articles/Tweets quoting him as proudly declaring his Team TERF status, I can see being angry at him. But context is everything. I'm all for the causes SJWs fight for, but they need to fight smarter and not blindly attack the wrong people. Which again, was Dave's point. The SJWs attacking his transgendered friend to such a degree she jumped off a building. Because she, as a transgendered woman, had the audacity to say she personally knows Dave and he isn't the enemy.

I'm all for people having consequences for their speech, but I've seen too much shit where SJWs are out looking for reasons to destroy people's lives and it's getting crazy. I've personally dealt with at least a dozen clients getting inundated with demands to fire employees because of something they said on Twitter. Most of the time, it's completely innocuous or misinterpreted, but the flood of calls is disrupting a small business. The last one, a guy was arguing politics on Twitter with a random stranger. The guy wrote "open your eyes and look at what's happening." Turns out the anonymous stranger is Asian and went on a campaign to destroy my client's business unless they fired the guy. He had no idea the other guy was Asian and didn't mean it as a slur, but the Asian guy doxxed the employee and got his followers to flood the company with bad reviews, call constantly and trash the company as racist and enabling racist employees. My client believed the employee but was on the verge of firing him to end the madness.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 pm
I think a lot of people who wouldn't have initiated a walk-off did in support, for sure.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Syb, I'm sure there were black dudes in the 50s who lied about encounters with white people. You can't use exceptions or drastic examples or undercut an entire population.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The team terf problem was that he said gender is a fact. Folks were rightfully offended. At the same time its a fair pov and he's allowed to feel that way. Hes also transphobic for that. Turns out gender is not as binary as I thought before I started putting on yoga pants and sticking my thumb in my ass for fun.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So I haven't paid this thread much attention for a bit. I figured it might have something to do with Patton Oswalt, but that isn't the case.

Is the argument that "Chappelle is OK because I don't want to have to justify liking his stuff"? That's a bit what it feels like, but admittedly reading a bunch of posts at once sometimes blurs the lines about who said what and when.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

To bring it back to comedy...saw this on IG a few nights ago. Shane Torres (best know for his 'what did Guy Fieri ever do to anyone?' bit) has to go on after a surprise Kevin Hart set.

Following Kevin Hart
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm still in this space, kept thinking of other guys.

I mean, folks were throwing out Gaffigan, which got me thinking of the weirdly verdant grounds of Georgetown for comedy. Besides Gaffigan, John Mullaney is out of that scene, as is Nick Kroll..

One guy I LOOOVE out of that group is Mike Birbiglia. He is much more in the long-form comedy, but it's super funny and often poignant (not in a sappy way.)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

We're going to see Bargatze later this month. Very excited.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:04 pm

I mean, folks were throwing out Gaffigan, which got me thinking of the weirdly verdant grounds of Georgetown for comedy. Besides Gaffigan, John Mullaney is out of that scene, as is Nick Kroll..

One guy I LOOOVE out of that group is Mike Birbiglia. He is much more in the long-form comedy, but it's super funny and often poignant (not in a sappy way.)
He’s got a good podcast called Working it Out where he and other comics workshop bits they’ve been working on. Good guests and pretty funny.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:57 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:04 pm

He’s got a good podcast called Working it Out where he and other comics workshop bits they’ve been working on. Good guests and pretty funny.
Birbiglia was the last stand up I saw in person. Big fan. Brian Regan is great as well, and completely SFW and children.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:49 pm Todd Barry is fantastic, but I gotta say I haven't heard anything from him in years. He is like Steven Wright with an extra cup of coffee. Very slow delivery, but brilliant. Bargatze is good, I love Jesselnik, but he can be dark and controversial. I love that, but there is no topic he will sidestep. Rape, dropping babies on their heads, probably the best joke writer out there today. A new kid coming up named Ben Daniel out of Houston shows a lot of promise.
Kind of you to say. I pretty much stopped coming here after the whole Giff thinks Im transphobic thing (Ironic that hes the one making off color Betty White and Paul Walker jokes after being the joke police, but I digress). I guess its fine to take shots at whoever as long as you dont hit that one special unjokeable group, but I digress. +1 on thinking Jeselnik is the best joke writer in the business. I also have an affinity for Michael Che and his delivery, if we are still giving recommendations
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jeselnik is Tosh, only a 1000x more clever.

(And I'm not really shitting on Tosh, as I can take him from time to time.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I really liked one Jeselnik and then put another on right after and was bored. Not sure if he's someone you can't binge on or if his approach changed as he got famous.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I wanted to just watch his opener from his most recent Netflix special and ended up watching the whole thing again. (Forgot it was also the one with the alzheimer's neighbor joke, which slays)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally rewatched Jimmy Carr’s Funny Business on Netflix. Watched it a couple years ago after misreading the serving size on edibles.I love Jimmy, Englishman who seems really classy, but is crass as fuck. Very witty one liners and maybe the best at crowd work. His mind works insanely quickly. And he even ends with a bear safety tip!
-Pruitt